Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
awesome thread. More fodder for the anti's.

"look at these stupid idiots, they can't even agree amongst themselves what is hunting"

hunting is hunting is hunting. As long as you are doing it in a legal, ethical manner, are properly licensed, have permission while accessing private land and follow the rules and regulations- it's hunting.

I'm sick of other hunters attacking one another over their preferred method in the field. It doesn't matter if you're a guy who backpacks for elk into the mountains or the guy driving his truck "heater hunting" for deer with an elderly grandparent/parent or your little kids who can't handle the november cold.

Is hunting with a crossbow bow hunting? Who cares, it's legal and some people cannot draw a compound bow due to medical/range of motion issues but still want the added challenge of having to get close.

Again, more fodder for the anti's. Eventually we're going to lose our sport because of idiocy like this.
x1000
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Stalking is a method of choice and I'm glad you love it. A person may be able to get closer to their quarry than a tick but try that with a cocked X-Bow . Really, there are far more disadvantages to a X-Bow than there are advantages. Stalking is one of them.
I'm not going to disagree, I was simply pointing out what I find to be a major difference between a crossbow and archery tackle in a hunting scenario.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Banned

Old 12-23-2015, 09:13 PM

I am now considered handicapped and can hunt with a crossbow, I can kill most mule deer bucks I see now if I choose, I could never do that with a compound bow. I've hunted both ways, theres no comparison in my mind, with not having to draw the bow at kill range, scopes and rangefinders, it's changed everything, if they allow crossbows to every archery hunter, get ready for a drastic downgrade in mule deer buck quality.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 PM

No it is not.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Banned

The worlds largest Bowhunting organization and the largest Bowhunting publication both are in agreement that Crossbow hunting is not Bowhunting.

If an individual can not pull back and hold the 40lbs required then by all means, they should be allowed to use a crossbow, however it should not be a free for all.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
I am now considered handicapped and can hunt with a crossbow, I can kill most mule deer bucks I see now if I choose, I could never do that with a compound bow. I've hunted both ways, theres no comparison in my mind, with not having to draw the bow at kill range, scopes and rangefinders, it's changed everything, if they allow crossbows to every archery hunter, get ready for a drastic downgrade in mule deer buck quality.
Pretty hard to argue with this guy. He tells it like it is.

If these want to be archers/whiners spent a tenth of the time they spend on here whining ,and crying practicing with a bow instead they wouldn't have a problem. It is realy about having an easy button thru life. Spend zero effort , and cry until you get your way or someone else looses their way and you are happy.
How many here realy are so weak they can not pull a legal bow? Or have you just tried a 70 pound monster a friend has and it was to much { not counting actual disabled}
It is sad to see able bodied men putting on such a front, all to get an easy button thru life.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
The worlds largest Bowhunting organization and the largest Bowhunting publication both are in agreement that Crossbow hunting is not Bowhunting.

If an individual can not pull back and hold the 40lbs required then by all means, they should be allowed to use a crossbow, however it should not be a free for all.
The problem here deerguy is the line up of liars there would be claiming they can't do it just to avoid learning archery .
Old 12-23-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post

The problem here deerguy is the line up of liars there would be claiming they can't do it just to avoid learning archery .
Old 12-24-2015, 08:40 AM

Default wow

I cant believe some of the answers to this question , i have not read 1 answer from a handycap person saying it is BOW hunting. We the handycap just want to hunt We dont care if most consider it BOW hunting it is all about being able to still go out hunting. When you get a permit it is because you have lost part of your game your no longer able to do what you were doing, when a thread was posted to see xbow pics there was 1 pic most had said they were not able to get anything thats because they are missing part of there game, its not easy when your missing something you once had.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Posed a question the other day and was wondering if others are of the same opinion.

Is Hunting with a Crossbow, really bowhunting? I personally do not believe so! What dod you think?
if it isn't what exactly would you call it???
Old 12-24-2015, 09:29 AM

Everyone is getting trolled...even after the troller has been gone and banned for a while.

LC
Old 12-24-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Well lets see these donkey deer you kill with your horizontal bow, you should have a more than a few to share to prove your point that most you see you can harvest with this "easy" tool...
Old 12-24-2015, 10:26 AM

There should be a separate crossbow season. And if that season completely overlaps bow season.... well, so be it.

And that's about all the seriousness this thread deserves. Doesn't matter whether crossbow hunting is bowhunting. Crossbowers just have to get together and lean on the government like the bow hunters did if they want expanded seasons. Just don't expect bowhunters to support you. They aren't that charitable. LOL

Last edited by Okotokian; 12-24-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:51 AM

An acquaintance of mine was granted "disabled status" because of an extremely dubious injury that supposedly prevented him from drawing his bow.

He'd only actually archery hunted a couple of times previously and had never harvested a big game animal with archery equipment. He could close the distance but could never seal the deal through simple incompetence.

Yet, somehow he met the criteria, (another story all of its own) got his permit and wasted no time purchasing a top end crossbow so he could go "archery hunting".

Now that he's got a point and shoot, he kills a big mule deer every year out of one of the 100 WMUs, currently not on draw, (yet another story all of its own) during the archery season and smashes photo's of his "archery" kills all over face book and this Forum for that matter. It's a terrible abuse of the system and goes to show just how vulnerable a species like mule deer on the prairies actually is to this type of individual packing this type of equipment.

I haven't taken the time to read all the posts on this thread but I can assure you there is no comparison between the two disciplines. A hunter using a crossbow is many, many times more lethal than an actual archer for all the obvious reasons.

Anyone who claims otherwise is either simply uniformed or trying to serve their own agenda.....

Last edited by thetruth; 12-24-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: misused word