Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
SNIPER

OhOh, the line across the province may have to be lowered to the 49th.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
OhOh, the line across the province may have to be lowered to the 49th.
Would only be a consideration if a contemporary settlement proves they once had a settlement there.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
The Metis use of Cypress Hills is believed to span from 1860 to 1906 when they were forcibly removed.

Ironically, this fact may well mean that, since their 'rights' were extinguished before the constitution was signed, they no longer have those rights.

From part 8 of the Pawley test:

Extinguishment means that the Crown has eliminated the Aboriginal right. Before 1982 this could be done
by the constitution, legislation or by agreement with the Aboriginal people.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 AM

Default Don't forget the Delburne, Big valley...

The camp ground at content Bridge Just NE of Delburne was a traditional metis hunting camp and rendevous site. This land was just donated back to the metis nation by the current owners. There was a cerimony there this fall. These sites are all over Alberta not just North of Edmonton. So as you look into the whole situation with open minds and eyes you will see that the metis influence was and is province wide and beyond.http://www.stettlerindependent.com/p...1103443&more=0

Last edited by Justanotherbuck2; 02-11-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Banned

Just another.
Good on the Metis for having them given that. I am sure it will be a great spot to stop. I wonder if there will be some sort of interpretive center?
I have been to the one on the way to Laronge Sask.. Neat place. Very informative.

But my issue is not with where the Metis camped out..
This thing should be about where established settlements are located.

Jamie
Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Default Tail creek settlement

Hi Jamie I agree I camp in alot of places..lol. But this was a Historical settlement at this location. And as with all the court cases that have gone before the Alberta system that is what the judges are looking for. So as you can clearly see the settlements were all over the province.
Curtis, I too would never hide behind a name. And its good on you that you don't either. Goota get to work now..later guys.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Hi Hi Hi

Why Are They Doing It
Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Banned

Wild man.
I will give you my side of things. Remember though the Metis also have a side. I along with the vast majority of Alberta Hunters disagree with them however.

There was a court case that was decided in the supreme court of Canada. (it was called the Powley case) In the Powley case, it was decided that Metis had the right to hunt without tags around established Metis community's.
Here in Alberta a few people in our government decided that "established" community's meant all across Alberta. And that Metis should have unlimited harvesting rights. Very similar to what our Indians have now.

I happen to think it should only apply to present day established community's.

Thats it in a nutshell. There are plenty of other points that could be made. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Jamie
Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanotherbuck2 View Post
The camp ground at content Bridge Just NE of Delburne was a traditional metis hunting camp and rendevous site. This land was just donated back to the metis nation by the current owners. There was a cerimony there this fall. These sites are all over Alberta not just North of Edmonton. So as you look into the whole situation with open minds and eyes you will see that the metis influence was and is province wide and beyond.http://www.stettlerindependent.com/p...1103443&more=0
Do not forget Jasper. The Metis were forced out in the early 1900's. They were asked to leave but wouldn't so the Government took their rifles from them so they could not hunt for food. Starving, they had no choice but to move to Hinton and Grande Cache. The decendants of Ewan Moberly to this day are still hurting over this. There were many, many Metis settlements that were established in Alberta. Remember the Metis were the main force in the socio economics of pre Canada and Canada. The HBC and NWC depended on the Metis as guides, trappers and interpeters. The Metis lived and worked in all of their Homeland from Ontario west into B.C. and the NWT. Alberta Goverment research supports this.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 PM

Default Metis Harvest

Justanotherbuck2, Trail Creek Des Metis, the largest settlement west Of Red River, is seriously expanded this year to more than 400 houses and countless tepess. The population exceeds 2,000 people. Trail Creek des Metis, like Red River, is more a region than a single town. It includes the settlements of Buffalo Lake, buffalo trail Creek {Trial Creek}. Grande Pointe, Boss Hill and the Red deers{deer}River. {Buffalo}Trial creek is north east of Delborn proper is located on the north side of the Red Deers River and straddles the Buffalo Trail Creek. Trail Creek was an ideal location for free-traders as it was free from Hudson Bay Company rule,free from meddling religious and had access to Montana markets as well as close proximity to fort Edmonton. It is unknown when the first Metis used this location as thier winter hunting ground but it believed years past according to old timers. It should be remembered that Edmonton at this time was a minor hamlet and St boniface only numbered some 750 people. The Metis used mule trains extending two miles in length were used to trasport furs from Buffalo Lake area to Fort Benton, Montana. It is believed more furs were traded to the United States than the Hudson Bay Company by the Metis who dominated the North West. Just a little more imformation on established Metis Settlements south of the line in the sand. 1870-1872.