Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Default New to the Edmonton Area, any idea's?

I am fairly new to Edmonton and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas as to where to fish, whats being used, techniques etc. Not only am I new to the Edmonton area but I am also new to the pike and walleye scene as I am from the Kootenays and have fished nothing other than trout and the odd ling cod (burbot). I will be fishing off shore as I don't have a boat right now, but I am in the market so I will take those ideas as well.
I would also be open to a fishing partner to show me the ropes out here if you want some company.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarmby View Post
I am fairly new to Edmonton and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas as to where to fish, whats being used, techniques etc. Not only am I new to the Edmonton area but I am also new to the pike and walleye scene as I am from the Kootenays and have fished nothing other than trout and the odd ling cod (burbot). I will be fishing off shore as I don't have a boat right now, but I am in the market so I will take those ideas as well.
I would also be open to a fishing partner to show me the ropes out here if you want some company.
Don't head north much so I can't help you out on any spots, beside the river. As far as the walleye and pike go I find the never fail yellow/red 5 of diamonds seems to work well or rapela type lures in trout/perch patterns seem to do well also.

As far as fishing partners go check out this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=53384

It's where people, like yourself, are looking for others to go out fishing with. Hopefully someone from up north will pop in and maybe give you some better info than I can

Welcome to AO!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 PM

Thank you for your input troller. And yes I was reading yesterday that the 5 of diamonds is probably the best lure you can use. I am really looking forward to catching a pike, my understanding is that they are extremely aggressive.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 AM

Any of the rivers. NSR, RedDeer, Pembina are all good. Any of the stocked trout ponds.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM

if you want some spots on the north sascatchewen message me,. I do ok there
Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Here's a list of the more popular Edmonton trout lakes.

Fly Fishing Edmonton-Edmonton Lakes

Cheers,
Doc
Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM

I'm on the south side of Edmonton and try to get out when I can... I like fishing the NSR tho I have no real luck in catching anything there. Finally managed to hook a small 1/2 pound walleye the other night.

Other than that, lakes for pike and walleye close to the city are near impossible to fish from shore, and the spots that are available are usually pretty busy.

PM me, i'm always looking for someone to fish with. I personally use a float tube on the lakes here but I have a coleman inflatable boat that rarely gets used - perfect for one person. At least get you on the water.

Lures? my fav's for pike and walleye are the 5 of diamonds - both red and black - and the red devil...
Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM

If you head out to the Lloydminster area, PM me and I'll give you all the help I can. I know of a couple spots on the NSR to catch pike and the odd Walleye. Also some decent sturgeon fishing not to far from Lloyd.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:37 PM

If you do not mind not to keep any pike Wabamun would be good choice to play and learn. You can fish from shore (intake canal to old power plant in the town is good spot) and it is not very far from Edmonton. NSR is your other good choice but I do not fish it much so I can't give much for spots.

If or when you get a boat your options will open up quite a bit. Good luck
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarmby View Post
Thank you for your input troller. And yes I was reading yesterday that the 5 of diamonds is probably the best lure you can use. I am really looking forward to catching a pike, my understanding is that they are extremely aggressive.
I grew up in BC and just started prairie fishing last year. I river fish in the Athabasca and Clearwater. I find that Pike will attack anything. I catch them a lot when I am targeting walleye with a jig head. They are pretty fun to catch. They are really strong. Get some super light gear. It makes it way more fun. I guess it can be more strain on the fish though.

Depending on your budget, I would get a guide in Edmonton. He will show you some good wholes on the NSR. You can get a decent jet sled for 8 to 15 thousand. I have one for sale right now. 14' marathon with a yama 50 jet. 55 hours. 9000
Old 07-16-2010, 07:00 AM

I'm not sure what part of the city you're in, but the NSR is likely your most convenient option, and it can be a lot of fun. Especially since you never know quite what you're going to catch.

The ol' 5 of diamonds you mentioned is always a good choice...so is the red devil.

Speaking *very* generally for the river, if you're going for pike spoons, in-line spinners, spinnerbaits, and little rubber fishy things work well...walleye will also go for most of those, especially the spoons and spinnerbaits. Smaller flashy spoons and spinners are good for goldeye, and goldeye are quite easy to find in the river

Hope that helps ya out a little

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-15-2010, 03:21 PM

i find lac st anne the narrows by the reserve is the best place to shore fish. From shore i will pull in 5+ a morning usually with a few keepers. I find that a jig and minnow works best for walleye and 5 of diamonds and red and white lures work the best for pike but pike will still bite on to jigs.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Just an update here I now have a canoe. I bought an old fiberglass and rebuilt it. So my options have opened up. If anyone has any ideas as to where to fish and with what.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM

Well im from edmonton and frequent the river alot it has treated me quite well, though its not so canoe friendly unless you plan on drifting down river n getting picked up, though not impossible to paddle back up its quite the current. With a canoe though if you dont mind a bit of a drive there are a few lakes down south i have had good luck on in a canoe. pm me
Old 08-16-2010, 01:06 PM

Mepps Aglia #5 spinner - red and white blade. Get the one with the black bucktail if you can find it. It's a small spinner but I landed many Pike up to 12lbs with it. Easy to cast and attracts lots of attention.

Also a weedless spiner bait (booya) in a 3/8 or 1/2 oz (red or white) gets lots of hits with pike.

The standard spoons were mentioned above and work well for some guys and certainly do cast well from shore.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM

If you want to fish the river and you don't like losing expensive lures to snags, bait fishing works wonders (I'd bet it's also the most effective technique day in and day out.) Pickerel rigs and bobber rigs both work well. If you want to catch pike specifically, use fish (minnows, smelts, etc) as bait and use a wire leader so it can't bite your hook off.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 PM

just troll with a spinner in wabuman and you'll get plenty of jacks
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 PM

Thank you to everyone who has put in their 2 cents. I tried fishing the NSR today under the Devon Bridge no luck. But I was talking to a few people out there and they gave me some tips on technique and what to use. So I will have to keep trying different spots and lures and bait.
If I get off work early enough tomorrow I think I am going to load up the canoe and give Wabamun a shot. Thank you everyone and keep those tips coming so I can pay it forward one day.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:41 PM

Be careful canoeing at Wab, it's a pretty windy place.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-man View Post
Be careful canoeing at Wab, it's a pretty windy place.

Good luck!
thanks fish-man and ya I have heard it can get windy but we will see what it looks like.

Tags
edmonton, fishing