Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 09:44 AM

Default Grouse hunting mentor

Hey guys

First time poster, I was hoping there might be someone in the Calgary area that can give me a hand hunting grouse. It’s my first year hunting and completed my hunters Ed course this winter. I know people don’t want to share spots Or info for nothing so here’s some things I can offer.

I’m a decent fly fishermen, I can show you a couple things
I can pay gas money, pay for shells
Girlfriend is a red seal baker and I will offer up her services (baking that is haha)

Thank you
Old 09-17-2020, 03:13 PM

If i lived in Calgary I would take you for grouse. SRY
Old 09-26-2020, 09:50 AM

Did you find anyone to go with yet? Not sure how often I'll get out this year but I can let you know when I go. I only go mid week though. Never on weekends. I've struggled to find them within an hour of Cochrane. They are there, just not always easy to find, especially in September. Usually much better when the leaves fall and even better after a frost or two.

They like thick brush, dogwood bushes, aspens, and marshes. In Ontario I could always find them near oak trees as they love acorns, but good luck finding that here. They also really like edge cover - where a tree line begins next to a field, road, atv trail, powerline, or even where newly planted trees meet old growth. I would suggest starting by heading up forestry trunk road and head down some side roads. Walk around in the bush looking for habitat as described above. Don't be afraid to get off the atv trail or cut line and walk into the bush following a deer run here and there. Especially earlier in the season when they're harder to find.

Pay attention when you're walking. Look for old shotgun shells on the ground or patches of feathers from someone field dressing a bird. At least you'll know you're in the right area.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2020, 08:01 PM

Find some nice crown land. Go for a drive or a walk. Go early in the morning and as the sun comes up they usually start to move around. You will see them. They are pretty easy to find. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:13 PM

i'm currently out of town but if i'm back on time for bird hunting, i'd DM you!
if you'll get into grouse hunting, you should start considering a bird dog. It's a gamechanger for sure!
i've hunted without a dog and with a dog and what a difference...

unfortunately last summer i lost my bird dog and she was fantastic, but i have a new pup now that i'm hoping will fill her shoes.. not this year probably though.. still 4 months old as we speak.

cheers!