Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 08:18 PM

Default good end to a crappy week

Had to skip 2 days fishing this weekend with truck issues. got that fixed so today I decided to be miserable and sit in the cold wind and rain on the riverbank. slow slow slow, got a small sucker finally and decided to change my bait. Cast out, relaxed for a very short time and my rod bent in half and then the line was slack like it was cut. I know better so I got rid of the slack and sure enough. Big mamma dragged my line out in the current and it was like lassoing a bull. All I could do was hang on and watch the line buzz off my reel. Then, just because that crappy part of my week left a hangover or something I guess, it managed to get my line around something and pulled the hook out. thus ends my use of number 2/0 circle hooks, just not what I want in heavy current. I decided to head back to my truck and wandered off to try another place, another river, just to get out of the frikkin rain. Nothing but a pretty Fish Cop at the first place, so I moved to my usual hideout. Slow slow slow. finally threw a worm back on and caught a couple suckers, then hooked into another dino. managed to lose this one too. ok I changed back to the secondary bait. then it was little wally after little wally. and then a small light bite. and another. ok maybe a sucker or a chub, super light bite. Give it a little tug and oh yah, the river got all foamy and I was lucky enough to land my first 53 incher this season. I havent met her before but she did have a very old beat up floy tag that was illegible so I took it out for her and let her go. or him I didnt look down there still slow, the weather had the bite turned off where it has been crazy the last while. finally decided I was hungrier than the fish so I started packing up and my rod twitched again, just a tiny bite. was swearing at the little walleye but it wasnt even that energetic so I picked up the rod and started reeling in so I could tell walter what I thought in person. Except ... line started going, I held on tight and giggled like a schoolboy. A whole lot of straining going on, the fish and me both. I had my drag almost welded shut and she just kept going. Finally managed to get her to shore and got a look at her. what a beautiful creature! The swearing you may have heard on the wind was me after the first fish when I realized my phone and camera were half a mile away in my truck. This girl was a lot fatter than my other 61 incher I could hardly fit my hand around her tail. Im a little happy that of my first 5 dinos so far this season Ive already broke 5 feet twice plus a 53. Now Im kind of dreaming that my PB or her gramma are up this way this season, Id love to see how shes doing! especially if shes full of roe! Hope you all had a great long weekend and got to do a bit of fishing too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-18-2020, 08:59 PM

Wayne .... hell-of-a-story .... must of been exciting to get that big one on shore. You got to remember to bring the camera & Stanley on your adventures, look forward to some pic's of your future 2020 record dino.

Q ... when do they normally spawn in your area ?

Cheers

D.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Wayne .... hell-of-a-story .... must of been exciting to get that big one on shore. You got to remember to bring the camera & Stanley on your adventures, look forward to some pic's of your future 2020 record dino.

Q ... when do they normally spawn in your area ?

Cheers

D.
should be spreading eggs anytime but the river levels are still way too low. watched river number 2 drop 6 inches this afternoon while I sat there. can everyone west of Brooks please start flushing twice please???

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-18-2020, 11:14 PM

I was around your area on Saturday. Caught half a dozen walleye, all small. Guy across the creek caught a 41in pike. Bonked it
Old 05-19-2020, 07:42 AM

Great read Wayne. You know your dinos that's for sure
Old 05-19-2020, 09:11 AM

Wayner, you get a timeout next time you go fishing without your camera or phone to take pics!.. Don't you know us Northern Albertans live vicariously through your adventures!!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Wayner, you get a timeout next time you go fishing without your camera or phone to take pics!.. Don't you know us Northern Albertans live vicariously through your adventures!!
I definitely need another pocket camera, especially since I have to hike in to my best spots now!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 05-19-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I was around your area on Saturday. Caught half a dozen walleye, all small. Guy across the creek caught a 41in pike. Bonked it
and in the place that big predator is most needed too! what a waste. I bet it ate a bathtub full of carp every day there.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds