Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2020, 08:59 PM

Default hunting around alder flats

Hi Guys,
Looking at property around alder flats, and wondering if anyone that has recently hunted that area can give me their opinion of how good the hunting is, and what animals they are seeing? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Old 03-20-2020, 09:35 PM

Alder flats area is a nice piece of country right on the fringe of the crown forests to the west. Good hunting and a few fishing options close by. Fair chance for any of the big game and predators, including the occasional grizz in the area. River, stream or lake fishing too.

The only thing to know is if it rains for a week the roads can turn into soft sticky gumbo. The area can be hit hard by lease road hunters for grouse and game.

Less than an hour to Rocky or Drayton Valley. Take a drive up and spend a day or two looking around... then you will know. Give the local F&W office a call and ask them about things too. They can help sometimes.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 03-20-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:04 PM

Default well 5 years ago

Was lots of deer ,moose and elk now cougars and wolves.Other than private land too accessible.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:28 AM

The mosquitoes are murder.

Grizz
Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 AM

My two cents is that a decade ago, on the crown land nearby, the deer population was high. But it seemed high everywhere during that time. Roads can turn to the slickest clay muck you ever imagined, but that was part of the fun. Comments about cougars and wolves is unfortunately very true. Good luck on your quest.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Alder flats area is a nice piece of country right on the fringe of the crown forests to the west. Good hunting and a few fishing options close by. Fair chance for any of the big game and predators, including the occasional grizz in the area. River, stream or lake fishing too.

The only thing to know is if it rains for a week the roads can turn into soft sticky gumbo. The area can be hit hard by lease road hunters for grouse and game.

Less than an hour to Rocky or Drayton Valley. Take a drive up and spend a day or two looking around... then you will know. Give the local F&W office a call and ask them about things too. They can help sometimes.
Thanks for the info!
Mike
Old 03-21-2020, 10:45 AM

Thanks everyone for the info! We’ll definitely spend some more time up there before we decide.
Mike
Old 03-24-2020, 07:33 PM

the hunting was ok 6 years ago or so, heavily hunted by local folks ,closely nit community with very limited access on private land as most is posted, easy access to the west crown for sure though again heavily hunted by folks from rocky to drayton and Edmonton to red deer due to the early rifle season.
small elk herd roams the area though heavily guarded on private land I know this fact as i have land in alder flats. crime is high as everywhere and police response is a week away usually , i know ive been hit 3 times .
Been here 12 years and the rains are heavy and the winds blow like pincher creek all summer . snow stays until may and as said before its a mosquito nest !
There are better areas for sure,though im here to stay .
Oh yeah there are deer though nothing to hang on a wall now, elk are a 3 pt at best with 1 or 2 a year being taken, a few small moose and quite a few cougar roam around the place along with a medium pack of wolve.
not may but a few grizz have frequented ,but hell of a lot of coyote ,but again all private access mostly.

Last edited by bluetick; 03-24-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
the hunting was ok 6 years ago or so, heavily hunted by local folks ,closely nit community with very limited access on private land as most is posted, easy access to the west crown for sure though again heavily hunted by folks from rocky to drayton and Edmonton to red deer due to the early rifle season.
small elk herd roams the area though heavily guarded on private land I know this fact as i have land in alder flats. crime is high as everywhere and police response is a week away usually , i know ive been hit 3 times .
Been here 12 years and the rains are heavy and the winds blow like pincher creek all summer . snow stays until may and as said before its a mosquito nest !
There are better areas for sure,though im here to stay .
Oh yeah there are deer though nothing to hang on a wall now, elk are a 3 pt at best with 1 or 2 a year being taken, a few small moose and quite a few cougar roam around the place along with a medium pack of wolve.
not may but a few grizz have frequented ,but hell of a lot of coyote ,but again all private access mostly.
You forgot to warn about all the open wells, discarded barbwire and feral bull that frequent the area.

Tags
hunting