Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2022, 05:23 PM

Default Appraisal on old truck

I have been working on a 79 ford truck for a few years and its almost done. I talked with my insurance company about the value and they said I will need an appraisal but didnt have a suggestion where to get one. Any suggestions near Red Deer?
Old 03-11-2022, 05:31 PM

Talk to Tyson at adrenaline motors in sylvan lake. That type of vehicle is their bread and butter.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
I have been working on a 79 ford truck for a few years and its almost done. I talked with my insurance company about the value and they said I will need an appraisal but didnt have a suggestion where to get one. Any suggestions near Red Deer?
We use Ed at https://sunburnautoappraisals.com/home
Old 03-11-2022, 08:26 PM

Call Haggerty. They don't require an appraisal
Old 03-11-2022, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Can you expand on this??
Old 03-11-2022, 08:45 PM

They do classic car insurance for which his 70's truck qualifies. They have such a large database of vehicle values they will tell you what it is worth which is usually very fair. The cost for insurance will be quite low. There are allowance for kilometers driven etc. I am assuming this pickup is not going to be daily driven.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post

Thanks for the suggestion about Haggerty, talked with them and it looks like the best fit for me. I will google some reviews to see how people feel after a claim.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:37 AM

An appraisal is in your best interests. It documents the restoration and the quality of the work while putting a value on the vehicle - it literally defines what you are insuring. Without this the insurance company could interpret what a '79 truck is worth a lot of different ways. If during a claim you disagree they would require you to submit all the receipts and documentation for the resto. Might be hard if you did it yourself.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
An appraisal is in your best interests. It documents the restoration and the quality of the work while putting a value on the vehicle - it literally defines what you are insuring. Without this the insurance company could interpret what a '79 truck is worth a lot of different ways. If during a claim you disagree they would require you to submit all the receipts and documentation for the resto. Might be hard if you did it yourself.
Agree 100%

An appraisal is cheap protection. The price range for that kind of truck would vary wildly, like pittman suggested the quality of the restoration will be critiqued to get a fair value.

Haggerty also does "agreed value" insurance too where you come to an agreement on the vehicles value and pay a premium based off of that.

That truck is likely worth more than most people think. Especially if it was just restored.

Got any pics? I used to have a hot rodded '79 with a 351 Cleveland, LOVED that truck. It got taken out by a drunk driver while parked and since I didn't have agreed value insurance to cover the truckload of money I put into it or had a special rider to cover all the aftermarket stuff I had on it, I basically got scrap value despite it being a pretty valuable truck. My driveline alone had about $10,000K in it between the mill, the tranny and the 9" diff, all professionally built with quality brand name parts.

I had to buy the truck back from the insurance company so I could part it out and get a good chunk of my money back. What a pain but I only lost about $5000 VS the $20,000 - $25,000K hit I would of taken if I just let them haul it away for scrap. My captains chair buckets with custom center console I got $1500 for, that's about what they were offering for the whole truck

I make sure my stereo's properly covered in my current rig as it is worth almost as much as the whole truck, maybe even more now. My rig is my sound sanctuary, some guy's "get it", but most don't and that's OK. we all have different interests and some of those hobbies cost a LOT of money. Think rifles and scopes..
Old 03-12-2022, 05:39 PM

Just keep in mind this is a double edged sword - the more it appraises for, the higher your insurance premium will be.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Agree 100%

An appraisal is cheap protection. The price range for that kind of truck would vary wildly, like pittman suggested the quality of the restoration will be critiqued to get a fair value.

Haggerty also does "agreed value" insurance too where you come to an agreement on the vehicles value and pay a premium based off of that.

That truck is likely worth more than most people think. Especially if it was just restored.

Got any pics? I used to have a hot rodded '79 with a 351 Cleveland, LOVED that truck. It got taken out by a drunk driver while parked and since I didn't have agreed value insurance to cover the truckload of money I put into it or had a special rider to cover all the aftermarket stuff I had on it, I basically got scrap value despite it being a pretty valuable truck. My driveline alone had about $10,000K in it between the mill, the tranny and the 9" diff, all professionally built with quality brand name parts.

I had to buy the truck back from the insurance company so I could part it out and get a good chunk of my money back. What a pain but I only lost about $5000 VS the $20,000 - $25,000K hit I would of taken if I just let them haul it away for scrap. My captains chair buckets with custom center console I got $1500 for, that's about what they were offering for the whole truck

I make sure my stereo's properly covered in my current rig as it is worth almost as much as the whole truck, maybe even more now. My rig is my sound sanctuary, some guy's "get it", but most don't and that's OK. we all have different interests and some of those hobbies cost a LOT of money. Think rifles and scopes..

It started as a freshening on my dads old truck but covid hit and I had to much time so it got stripped to the frame and really got out of hand. Very happy with how it turned out though..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck outside.jpg (58.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg engine bay.jpg (67.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
It started as a freshening on my dads old truck but covid hit and I had to much time so it got stripped to the frame and really got out of hand. Very happy with how it turned out though..
Old 03-13-2022, 06:38 AM

That’s a beautiful truck! I’m a big Ford guy. Great work!
Old 03-13-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion about Haggerty, talked with them and it looks like the best fit for me. I will google some reviews to see how people feel after a claim.
I got in touch with them & their price was going to be the best.....till I told them about the 6 point roll bar behind the seats.

They will not insure anything with roll bars / cage.

They did not (at that time) require an appraisal. Just wanted lots of pictures.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:49 AM

Beautiful truck all round! The 76-79 F150s are some of my favorite trucks. Needs it's own thread.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
That is a beauty.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-13-2022, 10:34 AM

I use old is gold for all of my classics.

A friend uses the same company and had transmission issues on his Barracuda when we were at the Radium car show. They towed his car back to Calgary and had his transmission repaired. No problem.

I've never submitted a claim but otherwise they've been great with no issues.

Never would I use my regular insurance company for my classics.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk