Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Default Is hub cigar gone?

I've been buying my magazines (flying, historical, hunting, firearms) and Cigars at Hub for close to 30 years, where I have a box. I know since Ken sold it there has been some issues, but calling this morning I found that their phone nbr is not in service.

Anybody know any more? Alternatively does anyone know of another "News Agent" in Edmonton?

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 12-29-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Not sure how long it's been since you were there, but they had a nasty fire about 6 years ago. They moved around the corner just south of the Ave on calgary trail north. Not sure if that location is still there.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:27 PM

It's still at the last location noted above. (At least it was a week or two ago)

The magazine and (I'm pretty sure) newspaper selection is waaayyy smaller.

They are tied up with the new British store in the attached space to the south. Pretty slim pickings there as well. I did manage some Curly-Wurlys and sugarless Polo mints though. At least the British Import Shop is still open at West Edmonton Mall.

I used to love looking for magazines at Hub... better off at Chapters now.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibetanpet View Post
It's still at the last location noted above. (At least it was a week or two ago)

The magazine and (I'm pretty sure) newspaper selection is waaayyy smaller.

They are tied up with the new British store in the attached space to the south. Pretty slim pickings there as well. I did manage some Curly-Wurlys and sugarless Polo mints though. At least the British Import Shop is still open at West Edmonton Mall.

I used to love looking for magazines at Hub... better off at Chapters now.
I talked to them last week......Steven pulled out and today their phone is not in service. Methinks they are gone.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM

It's the end of an era...
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 PM

I drove by there earlier today and the open sign was on. Not sure if that is any indication for you.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

I guess the internet has pretty well put these guys under.

At the old store I used to enjoy picking up issues of Shooting Sports and Shooting Times published in the U.K.

The new guy running Mr. Knoll's old store did not even care about my British publications.

I saw him going kaput a long time ago.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I guess the internet has pretty well put these guys under.

At the old store I used to enjoy picking up issues of Shooting Sports and Shooting Times published in the U.K.

The new guy running Mr. Knoll's old store did not even care about my British publications.

I saw him going kaput a long time ago.
Not sure who you are talking about. Ken sold it to 4 employees, of which 3 were shotgunned about two years ago. Steven was the very heavy fellow with a cane. He was the owner for the last cpl of years or so. He worked for Ken for 20 years or so. There was a mouthy guy working for him.
That could be who you spoke to.

I don't think it was the internet that caused the grief. Steven froze his feet last year and ended up with skin grafts and was unable to leave his home for several months. I think him not being there to watch over things probably caused the problems.

As a long time customer, I will miss them. My normal routine for the last 26 years was every second Friday at 7.30 am (they opened early for me).

I hope Steven does ok, he has been battling M.S for several years and always went out of his way for me and a lot of other customers.