Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2016, 04:51 PM

Default In case you were wondering: hunting & fishing licenses

I sent the following message to ESRD (or whatever we're calling them this week) to see if I could carry my license as a digital image on my phone. The response was very short:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Information Officer
Hello,
At this time, the hard copy licenses are still required.
Cheers.
I would have liked to have had an explanation as to why a digital copy is not adequate, but none was provided. I suppose the battery in a piece of paper can't run out...but the responsibility of producing a license would still be on the individual.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 PM

A couple people in my fishing group were warned by F&W about electronic licenses being produced a few months ago.

I know in BC the license has a QR code on it and they just scan your screen when you get checked. Seems to work fine. Obviously Alberta doesn't currently have a way to scan them like that.

I laminate mine now and no one has had an issue with it. Lasts a bit longer than the old till-tape one.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
A couple people in my fishing group were warned by F&W about electronic licenses being produced a few months ago.
I know in BC the license has a QR code on it and they just scan your screen when you get checked. Seems to work fine. Obviously Alberta doesn't currently have a way to scan them like that.
Ours have a 2-D barcode at the bottom...they should be able to scan that! But I'm strongly of the opinion that licenses should be contained in your profile; and that a scan of your WIN should bring everything up -- no need for paper except for the tag stickers (or are those plastic?).

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-09-2016, 08:13 PM

I carry a digital copy never been an issue as I haven't been stopped in 3 years.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:26 PM

Alacringa... They likely don't have the technology to scan it is what in getting at. They don't even have money for adequate man power never mind barcode scanners with Internet access to scan licenses. Sad state of affairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Ours have a 2-D barcode at the bottom...they should be able to scan that! But I'm strongly of the opinion that licenses should be contained in your profile; and that a scan of your WIN should bring everything up -- no need for paper except for the tag stickers (or are those plastic?).
Agree, but then a license check that currently takes 10 seconds may end up taking a few minutes, and a whole lot more money for satellite bandwidth, software, equipment, etc., No?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:00 PM

Saskatchewan is allowing digital only copies of licences for 2016.

New for 2016. A signature is no longer
required on a hunting licence or the
associated seals. Hunters can have their
licence on an electronic device but
must carry it on their person and be
able to immediately produce it to a
conservation officer. If you have
concerns regarding battery life or
allowing the inspection of your hunting
licence stored on your electronic
device, please print a hard copy of your
licence.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:12 PM

Thats good to know. I was thinking about taking a picture of mine and not carrying the paper copy.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Banned

I always make a few photocopies. I keep one with my gear, my truck and in my wallet, just to be safe. I also take a pic of it. They always seem to fall apart after awhile.
At one time you were not allowed to laminate them, but not sure what the rule is now.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Banned

What's the big deal, just carry a paper copy. Why do you your phone anyway's when your enjoying your hunting or fishing outing.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 PM

I always carry a paper copy with me so its not a big deal for me.

We were checked by F&W this winter at Lac Ste Anne and my buddy ask the same question if a digital copy on a phone was an acceptable form to provide proof of license. The F&W officer answered that it was but they do not recommend it and advise people against it. The officer went on to explain that everyone must be able to provide proof of a license when asked for it. If your cell phone dies due no battery power, cell coverage, etc. and you cannot show F&W then you get a ticket.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 PM

I don't understand either, why they wont accept it when they can pull your info up on their computer to tell if you have one or not. I bet it wouldn't hold up in a court of law at all. Sometimes these government employees have gotten so relaxed in their job that its easier to say no than do some research and fact finding.

Bobby
Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Rite View Post
I don't understand either, why they wont accept it when they can pull your info up on their computer to tell if you have one or not. I bet it wouldn't hold up in a court of law at all. Sometimes these government employees have gotten so relaxed in their job that its easier to say no than do some research and fact finding.

Bobby
The only way to find out if it will hold up in a court of law is to carry only an electronic copy, and hope that you get stopped. Let us know how it goes if you are charged and end up in court. I will carry the paper copies myself.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:06 PM

This is my way of thinking, why cause yourself headache over a stupid licence, I put one in my boat, my wallet, my truck and a spare one at home,.

I sure would hate to have to go to court just to show the judge and argue the point that I have a licence, I much rather spend my off time on a lake fishing.

Why argue for the sake of arguing.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical View Post
This is my way of thinking, why cause yourself headache over a stupid licence, I put one in my boat, my wallet, my truck and a spare one at home,.

I sure would hate to have to go to court just to show the judge and argue the point that I have a licence, I much rather spend my off time on a lake fishing.

Why argue for the sake of arguing.

Because this is AO, and that is what we do.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Bobby
Of all the times that I have been checked, only once was the F&W officer in his truck with access to computer. The rest of the time they have been on a snowmobile.

That would be interesting to see a computer mounted on the handle bars of ATV or snowmobile exposed to the weather elements and still work.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
Of all the times that I have been checked, only once was the F&W officer in his truck with access to computer. The rest of the time they have been on a snowmobile.

That would be interesting to see a computer mounted on the handle bars of ATV or snowmobile exposed to the weather elements and still work.
You can bet they have there debit machine with them. In case you haven't realized its 2016 and computers come in the size of an I Phone. When I was caught three years ago and forgot my fishing license the fish cop pulled it up and found out that I had one and avoided a ticket, and yes he was on a ATV, so don't tell me they can't check.
Nice intelligent reply. Next time don't bother.

Bobby
Old 05-12-2016, 12:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braunjo View Post
Saskatchewan is allowing digital only copies of licences for 2016.

New for 2016. A signature is no longer
required on a hunting licence or the
associated seals. Hunters can have their
licence on an electronic device but
must carry it on their person and be
able to immediately produce it to a
conservation officer. If you have
concerns regarding battery life or
allowing the inspection of your hunting
licence stored on your electronic
device, please print a hard copy of your
licence.
Cool if your a techy type guy but I would have both, dam phones pack it in when cold etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-12-2016, 12:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
What's the big deal, just carry a paper copy. Why do you your phone anyway's when your enjoying your hunting or fishing outing.
To play black jack in between a few grunts, a pee, a bowl movement and a rattling sequence or two.
Long day out in the bush so you gotta change it up eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 AM

Does a photo of your drivers license work too?....really no different. Realize if they need something as evidence, bye bye phone...exhibit A.

LC
Old 05-12-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Bobby
Have you ever tried to tell a cop that pulls you over that you never carry your driver license when you drive and that he can just check on his computer as to whether you have one or not? LOL

And not sure who is lazy and not doing their research and fact finding. LOL