Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Default Apprentice Question

I have heard there are all types of assistance, grants etc etc for apprentices. Has anyone here applied and received such a thing? What all can a apprentice apply for especially if the apprentice has a family.

thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Apprentices are eligible to claim pogey when in school as long as you paid in to it. Just be careful because if you make over a certain amount then you have to pay back some come tax time.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
Apprentices are eligible to claim pogey when in school as long as you paid in to it. Just be careful because if you make over a certain amount then you have to pay back some come tax time.
Yes I am aware of that, I have heard though that there are many other types of funding apprentices can get. Just wondering if it was true?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Default grants

I believe there still are grants for completing each year of technical training for a red seal trade. If you look on trade secrets you should be able to find some info. Also there are grants you can qualify for while your in training especially if you have kids and a house. You have to pay some of this back to the tax man so be prepared nothings free. Google trade secrets I think the website is tradesecrets.ab.ca ??
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Default grants

Trade secrets is one place. Depending where you live (province) check with the provincial board and see what they offer. On the alberta site under the financial tab there are somes links to different progarms that might work for you. The internet can be your friend!
Geo
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Default Tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca

Visit the site:

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/in...ex_content.asp

Then click on the link on the left hand side that says Financial Assistance.
There are a few benefit options for apprentices and employers of apprentices here in Alberta, just have to search them out.
I do believe employers are allowed to claim an Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit for up to $2000/year for one apprentice in a red seal trade going back up to three years.
Apprentices are allowed to, I think, claim up to $500 in tools per year. Plus other grants & what not. Pretty informative site.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM

I just finished my 4th year of carpentry, if it's a red seal then you are eligible for an incentive grant of 1000 bucks after successful completion of your 1st and 2nd years of school, and a completion grant of 2000 bucks after you are done your final year and successfully completed. Also, on top of collecting EI, there are assistance grants that you can apply for! They help cover the cost of living while in school! You have to fill out a large application and send in copies of utility bills, car payments, daycare! Anything you pay out can be claimed. My first year my wife wasn't working and I got $4100.00 my second and third years were both right around $1700.00 and I just received the cheque for my last year and it was $2000, so it is definately worth the time spent to fill it out! Just make sure you fill out and send it in early! I didn't send mine till the 5th week of school, and didn't see the cheque till I was back at work for 2 weeks! Good luck...hope that helps a bit!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
I just finished my 4th year of carpentry, if it's a red seal then you are eligible for an incentive grant of 1000 bucks after successful completion of your 1st and 2nd years of school, and a completion grant of 2000 bucks after you are done your final year and successfully completed. Also, on top of collecting EI, there are assistance grants that you can apply for! They help cover the cost of living while in school! You have to fill out a large application and send in copies of utility bills, car payments, daycare! Anything you pay out can be claimed. My first year my wife wasn't working and I got $4100.00 my second and third years were both right around $1700.00 and I just received the cheque for my last year and it was $2000, so it is definately worth the time spent to fill it out! Just make sure you fill out and send it in early! I didn't send mine till the 5th week of school, and didn't see the cheque till I was back at work for 2 weeks! Good luck...hope that helps a bit!
Thanks for that info I appreciate it, Where did you get the forms for all that?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM

They had the forms at school when I went, but I went to red deer college, I think they had them at nait too! Now that I remember my first year at snit? They gave you the assistance grant forms on the first day of class, the 3 years after I went to RDC, and they have them out on the first day as well! The other grants I think I just printed off of the website, or they mailed it to me with my marks, I can't remember cause my wife has filled them out for me! Make sure you apply for scholarships too! I got a 500 dollar scholarship with a grade of 88% so you don't have to be a 90% plus student to get one!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM

What trade are you taking by the way?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
What trade are you taking by the way?
Millwright
Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Filled them out every year, got told i own my own home to bad, and im not the only person im class to get told you dont get the student assistance money. One guy however got more money in school than when he was working.