Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Thumbs up Customer Service - the Old Fashion Way

As soon as the snow freed up my boat I started the annual servicing ritual

Water must have gotten into the oil in the lower leg because the gears were broken and prop pushed out

Got pictures and started searching for a dealer to show them to

Most everyone said – it will take months and cost thousands that is if they would even look at the pics. (the “s” are intentional)

One dealer said that if I brought it in for him to look at in the parking lot (30 second type of look to assess what had to be done) he would have to charge me the hourly rate ($128)

Finally got around to talking to Chris at Budget ATV and Prop. Spent quite awhile talking on the phone and he convinced me to bring it in “just to look at it”. He came out to the parking lot and checked it and the gears and explained what had happened, what would have to be done to fix it, a general idea of the cost and what to do to avoid problems in the future. Took about 30 to 45 minutes. NO CHARGE.

Well, got my boat back today – very pleased

He rebuilt the lower end, repaired the housing and rebuilt and painted the whole thing. Looks great!

Again we talked for 30 to 40 minutes about boats, motors, maintenance etc.

What did it cost?

Under $1000 and I got it back within a week.

Christopher Fliss
Budget ATV & Prop Shop
5921 – 91 St
Edmonton
www.BudgetPropeller.com

They say “my wife ok, my dog maybe, but not my fishing boat” well I would trust Chris with my boat anytime

P.S. If you want to know who was so gracious as to want to charge $128 to come out to the parking lot PM me – I will be glad to tell you.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

Default thanks

Always good to know who are operating a good business in this province. Sounds like a great place.

I'd like to see a sticky or a separate category for threads of Alberta businesses that AO members could rate so other members would know who to avoid and who to give their business to.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Good to hear a story like this every now and again. All it takes is for 1 guy to get service like this to tell a few friends and co-workers;who tell a few friends and co-workers etc. It cost the guy some time but he will no doubt be rewarded by repeat business and word of mouth referrals which can make or break a business.

Just a tip for people if a check engine light comes on. Most shops will charge a diagnostic fee to hook up the code reader and tell you the problem. Generally around $100. Auto Value or Parts Source will do this free of charge. Sometimes it's an easy fix. I had a Jetta Turbo and the code thrown was for a bad coil which is a very easy fix on those cars.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 PM

I have been using his services for 4 yrs. He has great deals on props as well as giving great service. He has worked on my boat and 2 seadoos.
I have always been happy

Crash