Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Question Wrangler MTR with kevlar

Just wondering if anyone had run with these tires and if so how did you like them?? thinking of picking some up but I want to hear first hand accounts of there quality
Old 05-08-2011, 12:57 PM

my welder showed me the tires he is running on his dodge duelly:
"Aurora" load range E (285/75 R16) made in Korea.

He really likes them: has bold hiway design on fronts, and off road aggressive design on rear. I am going to search to see if they make a tread in between.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

i wouldnt ride on goodyears if someone gave them to me free.....but i would say thank you and go trade them in on some michelins.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:11 PM

same as bambi ..i would'nt take them if they were made of gold !!!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i wouldnt ride on goodyears if someone gave them to me free.....but i would say thank you and go trade them in on some michelins.
X2 to that ^ !

For me, it's either Michelins, or Nokians. I gave up on Goodyear tires, a long time ago.

But you have to admit, Goodyear makes some great commercials ... some of their UK commercials are priceless - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/762914...r_commercials/

TF
Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 PM

the original mtr tires were pretty good for jeeps/suvs and half ton trucks, depending on what you drive if you are looking for a purpose built off road tire that will still perform decently on the highway i am sure that you will be happy
Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Default michelin tires

I took what you guys have said and had a look at the tires that they provide and they dont have anything that would even do somewhat ok in off road applications, I dont thinkyou guys know what the mtr with kevlar is. It is an off road tire. so with that being said, I am looking a getting a new off road tire. but something that does ok on the highway. I had A set of TSL thornbirds, but they wore down so fast and they were pretty much a straight up mudtire.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 PM

I had them on a Dakota, and they were awesome! Wouldn't put them on a diesel though, then again I would rather walk then ride a set of Michelins!! Biggest POS around!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 PM

But you have to admit, Goodyear makes some great commercials ... some of their UK commercials are priceless - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/762914...r_commercials/

but you are right those are some pretty funny ones, the good year ones are lame funny but the bud light is hilarious hahaha
Old 05-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Kevlar MTRs are one of the best performing all around tires you can buy. They balance out very easily, and perform exceptionally well in pretty much any terrain - Snow, sand, mud, pavement etc.

I am running a set of them in 37" on my dedicated trail rig. They by far outperform my old boggers and TSLs in every single way.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I took what you guys have said and had a look at the tires that they provide and they dont have anything that would even do somewhat ok in off road applications, I dont thinkyou guys know what the mtr with kevlar is. It is an off road tire. so with that being said, I am looking a getting a new off road tire. but something that does ok on the highway. I had A set of TSL thornbirds, but they wore down so fast and they were pretty much a straight up mudtire.
i know what they are....and they are junk. for 11 years it was my job to deal with tire issues, and goodyear just never ceases to amaze me with the garbage they put out. now that you have specified you want something aggressive, it is easier to answer your question and direct you to something you will be happy with.

the trade off is simple.....the more aggressive they are, the worse they are on pavement. pretty tough to find a balance, but my money would go to toyo. hit thier website for a look, but if i remember right the M55 hyparadial is the model with pretty deep lugs. they will last the longest on pavement. a lot of guys think they drive offroad a lot.....but if you tracked it, even the most ardent backroads guys would be hard pressed to find 40% of thier driving offroad. there are exceptions....but not a lot.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 PM

Default Tires

I tried the Wrangler MTR's and found they were just too loud and soft for me on the highway. I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers, nice and aggressive and quiet on the highway, check them out.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 AM

I had 35" BF Goodrich KM2 on mine at first. I got 2 years outta them. So this summer i switched it up and went with the Mickey Thompson ATZ. They're more of an all terrain vehicle, but still have the deep lugs/semi aggressive pattern for off road.

I know it doesn't give you what youre asking for, but might just give you another option to look at.

Last edited by Vanden; 05-09-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 AM

All our trucks had MTR's on them in the Army. The only problems we ever had with them was running over pieces of metal that punctured the tires. other than that they stood up pretty well to the abuse we put those humvees through!

Have you considered looking at the Yokohama AT/S? I have many friends who run them and have nothing but good to say about them.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 AM

The MTR are a waste IMO unless you are stictly mud. We have been running the Goodyear Duratracs on our trucks now or the past 3 years (since they come out). We run about 60/40 to 50/50 pavement/gravel roads. Been a great tire. All conditions - snow/ice, very muddy - great traction. I was going to go with the Toyo O/C MTs but glad I didnt.

Right now 5 trucks have them on. Mine are 285x70x17, couple sets of 265x70x17's and 265x75x16's. Of two trucks on their second sets.....85K and 110K. The one truck with 85K had a bent wheel so it wore out funny so I replaced the set with a new wheel also.

IMO a better tire than the MTR Kevlar model....plus if you run a set of Duratracs on another set of wheels for winter/ice roads, they can be studded.

I would of probably still ran the Yokohamo Geolanders AT/S's if they still had the older tread pattern....but very happy with the performance of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

I had Goodyear Wranglers M&S (?) on my truck and I had to replace them almost every year. Two years ago I bought the Goodyear Silent Armor ones with the kevlar. They cost twice as much but they have very little wear on them so in the long run the extra cost is well worth it. Goodyear periodically has the 4 for 3 promo so that's the time to buy them. It cost me about $800 or $900 to put 4 tires on my F150. Well worth the extra cost IMO........the tread is aggressive enough for light off road work and not too noisy on the highway. I'd have no problem recommending the Silent Armor to anyone.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Definatly check out the duratrack ,im about 40,000km in and impressed so far.would be replaceing firestones by now.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 PM

Was talking with the consultant at work today, he has them on him '10 dodge 1ton SRW, he said it is a great tire, will take you anywhere, just dont tow a trailer. He took his camper from red deer to ontario and back, 13,000km and the rears had to be replaced when he got back. He baught them again but figures the tourqe from the diesels just chews them up. Just going of what he told me, never ran them myself. And about the duratracs, got a little over 30,000 on f350, would buy again as a winter tire only but they disappear fast on hot asphault
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Was talking with the consultant at work today, he has them on him '10 dodge 1ton SRW, he said it is a great tire, will take you anywhere, just dont tow a trailer. He took his camper from red deer to ontario and back, 13,000km and the rears had to be replaced when he got back. He baught them again but figures the tourqe from the diesels just chews them up. Just going of what he told me, never ran them myself. And about the duratracs, got a little over 30,000 on f350, would buy again as a winter tire only but they disappear fast on hot asphault
he figures torque....but he figures wrong. torque wont shred tires....but weight will.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 PM

I have Toyo M55 on my gm 1 ton and have gotten poor mileage out of them.

They are a hard-rubber tire that is horribly slippery on ice (after you have about 10,000 clicks) or winter frozen pavement. Had to use 8 (eight) sandbags in rear of truck to keep some traction this winter; whereas with other tires i used 2-4 sandbags for weight.

They also HUM on pavement after 5,000 clicks.

Previous to these M55 dissappointments, i used Goodyear Wranglers: they had much better traction, but again, did not last very long.

Am still hoping to hear from you guys on the Aurora made in Korea tire: my welder sure likes them: anybody use them?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM
hunter49

check out Cooper STT(load D) if gas, if diesel check out Toyo MT (load E). Both are great mud tires, but do well on pavement too.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Banned

Default studded duratracs

I've run a couple sets of duratracs now, on my f350 (the latest set being studded) and they are awesome winter tires, good in snow and ice...and alright so far in mud, but not great. I will likely be switching to more of a mud tire soon. I the past I have gotten good use out of BFG MT's, but haven't tried the new km2 pattern yet. I was looking at the Goodyear MT's and the BFG MT's. Supposed to be a wet summer....groan...I hate washing mud off my truck...and I hate mud in general...give me a dusty road any day.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 AM

Default wrangler mtr's

Well from what im seeing from the posts, I think i may add a piece of info.... I have a 2002 chev S10 ZR2 and It is my hunting truck but I also use it to get to work and back. The BFG allterrain ta ko's I found to be a phenomanal tire but they did not do good in mud as they just plug up and then you have a mud slicked tire. I want a good mud tire but one that will do ok with about 15 - 20 km of pavement a day. A guy I work with has Federal Couragia MT says he loves them but he dont hunt so Any hunters out there use them???
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Well from what im seeing from the posts, I think i may add a piece of info.... I have a 2002 chev S10 ZR2 and It is my hunting truck but I also use it to get to work and back. The BFG allterrain ta ko's I found to be a phenomanal tire but they did not do good in mud as they just plug up and then you have a mud slicked tire. I want a good mud tire but one that will do ok with about 15 - 20 km of pavement a day. A guy I work with has Federal Couragia MT says he loves them but he dont hunt so Any hunters out there use them???
mud tires arent made for pavement period. the best you can do is to buy the best priced whatever and have them siped. keep your inflation right and check it often.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 PM

well seeing as ishootbambi is the all knowing tire man you had better go with what he recommends, torque will also shred tires as a higher torque vehicle like lots of diesels in alberta are tuned out and more likely to spin the tires than low torque tires, also guys that say they get 2 years out of a set vs a guy that gets 8 months out of the same tire is a very poor comparison, the main factors that contribute to tire wear is kilometers and terrain driven on, if you want tires that you can drive on the highway but still be able to perform in the mud with the odd time that you are in the mud then buy a mud tire, if you want a highway tire that will last longer then buy one but be careful where you go offroad. There are lots of mud tires out there all of which you will hear positives and negatives about, buy a set that you think will work good for your purpose and if they dont work for you dont buy them again, for the record, every person i know that has run mtr's on a small truck has been very pleased with them
Old 05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
well seeing as ishootbambi is the all knowing tire man you had better go with what he recommends, torque will also shred tires as a higher torque vehicle like lots of diesels in alberta are tuned out and more likely to spin the tires than low torque tires, also guys that say they get 2 years out of a set vs a guy that gets 8 months out of the same tire is a very poor comparison, the main factors that contribute to tire wear is kilometers and terrain driven on, if you want tires that you can drive on the highway but still be able to perform in the mud with the odd time that you are in the mud then buy a mud tire, if you want a highway tire that will last longer then buy one but be careful where you go offroad. There are lots of mud tires out there all of which you will hear positives and negatives about, buy a set that you think will work good for your purpose and if they dont work for you dont buy them again, for the record, every person i know that has run mtr's on a small truck has been very pleased with them

well dude....let me explain things a little for you. bambi may not know everything about tires....but he likely knows more than most guys do. as i said, i worked in a suspension shop for 11 years. we sold a few tires...but mostly it was my job to deal with the problems tires had. i was the truck guy who did all the lifting and lowering too. i would see...on average say 5 vehicles a day. some days as many as a dozen, and some days just 1 if it was a susension lift.....but 5 would be a good average. at 250 days a year for 11 years, that would be a around 2750 vehicles give or take. so when you hear a guy who has that much experience give advice, maybe....just maybe....it might have a little more weight than the advice of a guy who says, "yeah i had these and my buddy had these." its kinda like a guy saying that he poured his own sidewalk giving advice on it and telling guys that the concrete finisher doesnt know what he is talking about. whichever, mine is an opinion just like yours....the op can take it or leave it.

as for your torque comment.....well it seems you have torque mixed up with horsepower. they arent the same and im not going to try. its irrelevant when you say that guys might be spinning tires. you say that he was pulling a trailer, so i have to believe that spinning tires wasnt happening. the truth is that a lot of tires just cant carry that much weight.

you also say that the main factor for tire wear is kms driven and terrain. sorry, wrong again. its been proven over and over that inflation is the number one reason for decreased tire life. it is estimated that less than 10% of vehicles on the road get the potential mileage out of thier tires....and it is due to improper inflation. driving habits matter, rotation intervals matter, and yes terrain can too, so thats not entirely false.

people used to ask me who makes the best tires on a daily basis. there is no question that michelin is the best. they have the fewest incidents of defects like premature separation, and premature wear. the worst are goodyear hands down...thus my first comment. they are the most likely to go out of round and separate early. myself, i would never pay my money for anything other than michelin or toyo. toyo gets the edge if you see a lot of gravel. michelin rubber is very hard so gravel will "chunk" them.....they kinda look sandblasted if you have seen that.

to the op....you seem to have your heart set on a mud tire, and like i said before....pick the one you get the best price on. NOBODY makes a mud tire that will do well on pavement. that is not what they are built to do. the best you can do is to have them siped for a few extra bucks and keep the inflation right near the recommended pressure....too much is as bad as too little. rotate them often as the steer tires will lose edges quickly.