Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 04:35 PM

Default Thieves

So the local authorities nabbed a guy trying to steal my new f350 at 9am this morning. He spilled info that my property has been cased a few times, as expected. Any suggestions out there for acreage (75acres) security?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM

How did they catch him?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Banned

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_SGR-A1
Old 01-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Upside down harrows?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM

f350 seem to popular on their list...nothing beats a big dog for a acreage.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:51 PM

Talked to a police officer the other day. He said the f stands for “free” when it comes to the ford 350s. Very popular target for thieves. Big dog would be my suggestion. That’s what we have on our farm. We can’t touch the scum but our dog will
Old 01-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Banned

The way the laws are in Canada, a big dog is great as long as it scares them away. As soon as the dog touches them, the owner is now responsible. About the only thing that you could do would be set up cameras with motion detection. Maybe there is a company that does something with regards to rural surveillance?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

I would suggest an outside dog with availability to come in the house through a dog door for warmth. It doesn't have to be a man eating dog, just one that barks his fool head off when someone shows up. I also have motion sensors.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Talked to a police officer the other day. He said the f stands for “free” when it comes to the ford 350s. Very popular target for thieves. Big dog would be my suggestion. That’s what we have on our farm. We can’t touch the scum but our dog will
He said "new". Anything newer than 2008 would have PATS and be very difficult to steal without the chip key. You would need the help of a dealer. Any thief trying to steal it would be an idiot ....
Old 01-12-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
f350 seem to popular on their list...nothing beats a big dog for a acreage.
Fords are the easiest to steal
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 AM

lots of camera recommendations . we have some at work and have all kinds of pictures of thieves stealing our stuff . which is kind of neat , i guess . pretty expensive " entertainment " because they have been no help in trying to stop or solve a crime .
i was on side when we first started installing them and considered getting some at home but now i'm glad i saved my money .
Old 01-12-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
That's the ultimate home defence system!! That would stop all the bs going on if it was known that this could be protecting people's property
Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 PM

They had a town hall meeting around here. The local "cop" suggest increasing lighting, removing bushes from around the house, and installing a gate.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
They had a town hall meeting around here. The local "cop" suggest increasing lighting, removing bushes from around the house, and installing a gate.
Lol really?, why not put public statements out to criminals. If you get killed or wounded trying to steal it's your own fault. So maybe don't steal...
Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Free deer too!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 AM

Get a dog or two.

If it's 2008 and newer it should have PATS system. Not as easy to steal, older than that install a kill switch.

These thieves are very determined bunch, if they really want it they will get it.

I work at a dealer , we have so much BS stuff happening on lot. Not too long ago they broke into building with a security system and cameras everywhere and stole a brand new F350 from the shop. They knew exactly what to do, keys in truck. Pryed open side door opened bay door and drove it away. Drove it to another dealership a couple hours away left it there and did the same thing to them. Stealing to steal, like it was a game.

Before they upgraded security system thieves cut cables to cameras, broke in, found keys in sales desk and stole vehicles off lot. Joyride and left them at other business in town. They climbed up a a metal water drain for roof to cut the camera.

I live on small acearage, just got a second dog. 3 year old German Shepard. We have attached garage with a fenced off kennel area. Dog doors from garage to house to kennel. They both bark at strangers, they Shepard is big and can look through the 5 feet high glass panels on main door in garage when he goes up. I have monitored security system as well. I think my dogs will do more than the security system ever will to stop thieves.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Wire in a kill switch on your truck, cheap and easy to do. Will help save it.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Yes put a kill switch into the ground of the inertia fuel switch.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
^^^ This, or an aftermarket alarm with starter kill. Can get one installed for often less than a deductible would cost you. Why wouldn't you?

Especially if you are driving one of the most stolen vehicles out there, locking your doors just dosent cut it. A lot of people need to be MUCH more proactive

Or as someone else mentioned, a security gate, They cant steal it if they can't get in.

Glad to hear they caught the scumbags this time
Old 01-13-2018, 12:23 AM

You have three choices: continue your life and make insurance claims, create a defense mechanism in the form of mean dogs or otherwise (which is not always legally secure), or move to a jurisdiction that has laws that are more to your favour.

The first and last point are the only legally safe options. Ask your lawyer. You can try your best with cameras, hiding your nice stuff, whatever. Thieves don’t care. Once you’re on their radar, it’s nothing but a matter of time.

Best of luck, OP.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake123 View Post
So the local authorities nabbed a guy trying to steal my new f350 at 9am this morning. He spilled info that my property has been cased a few times, as expected. Any suggestions out there for acreage (75acres) security?

Speaking to an RCMP officer in our area, he stated that 90 % of the rural properties have been scouted out! That's crazy!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:09 AM

It's pretty obvious that our justice system isn't a deterrent, that the underlying message I see here.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake123 View Post
300 win mag

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Banned

Problem with telling him to get a big dog is he has to find a puppy and raise it right which takes over a year. Sure he could adopt a rescue big dog but then he will need to train it and train it hard and quick sooooo to say "get a dog man" isn't a quick solution.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Problem with telling him to get a big dog is he has to find a puppy and raise it right which takes over a year. Sure he could adopt a rescue big dog but then he will need to train it and train it hard and quick sooooo to say "get a dog man" isn't a quick solution.
You don't need a dog that's trained. You just need a dog that loses its mind when it sees someone and isn't the size of a Chihuahua.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM

This
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6152.JPG (25.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Banned

Here is an idea : Take away their drivers licence for a year .
Old 01-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Banned

or perhaps five years , and deny them a firearms licence , and have them unable to possess alcohol!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Why don't we just make it illegal to steal stuff.......oh yah criminals don't care about rules or what they can do or not do legally. If they are willing to steal my truck I doubt having/ not having a licence is going to stop them
Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Good idea, while easily defeated most thieves are opportunistic and if something doesn't work like its supposed to it causes them to move on to something else quickly.

Quote:
From reading all of the above and the suggestions given , I think we can all agree that all the blustering and whining wont solve the problem.upside
down harrows , guns etc .Given the laws as they are and the fact the police are also stretched to patrol the municipalities ,Thievery is a fact of life , it has always existed and it wont stop soon! We can blame it on the economy , or the way kids are raised , the drugs and alcohol , its here to stay , and the touchy feel governments can and wont do anything to suppress it . Heck go to the middle east and even whacking off limbs does not stop it !
They also don't really have due process and are not generally considered first world countries. Those who steal over there aren't doing it to support a drug habit or boredom. They do it for survival. I highly doubt 99% of thieves in Alberta are thieving for survival. My guess is they are entitled junkies who can't handle not making easy money and feel they deserve what they take and society OWES them.

Quote:
WOW, And AO was up in arms over the Province becoming a police state because they can detain you and have your vehicle towed for blowing a .05.