Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Default advise on a trapping sled

Looking into a sled for trapping. I can't buy new, so I'm looking at used under 4500$.

I know I want fan cooled, long wide track, 2 stroke

It's tough going through kijiji looking for decent sleds. Most that seem like they might be ok are touring models like Polaris touring from the 90's or skidoo touring from around 1999-2002.

I know the tundra's, skandic's, bear cat's, vikings are ideal, but what other make/model/year would do ok?

Anyone looking to get rid of a trapping sled please shoot me a pm as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 PM

The Ski doo 1996 and up 380/500 Touring are good, same as the 380 Skandic except for 42" ski stance vs Skandic 37". Seen some turn over 20,000km.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 PM

I keep reading the touring sleds have problems breaking trail and in deep snow. I might have a 2001 skidoo touring 500 I can grab, but I read reviews and it seems bad in deep snow. Guy's on sledding forums say stick to trails for touring or you'll get stuck. Are they too heavy?

Are you saying the 37 inch stance is better or worse? I rode a sled with narrow ski's a few times and it was more tippy then I could tolerate in any snow over 1 foot. Got stuck all the time cause the sled would flop and I had to slow down, than got stuck when I tried to get momentum again.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM

I suppose if I swap out the narrow ski's on touring models to much wider ones that would help a lot?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM

Might be a silly question but what makes a good trapping sled and why?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Might be a silly question but what makes a good trapping sled and why?
Kinda what I'm asking lol..

from my sledding experience

-want to keep the weight down so you don't sink when you start/start/ go over deep snow

-fan cooled. Reason being liquid cooled don't do well (over heat) unless there is constand snow being thrown into the heat exchangers. It's how the sled stays cool. Unless your going in deep snow, you need speed to kick the snow up into the heat exchangers. So chugging along and not getting snow into the exchangers will cause you to over heat. A lot of trapping is chugging along. If you are starting and stopping a lot, you need to turn a liquid cooled machine off or it has potenail to over heat.

-fan cooled are a little bit lighter than liquid. No weight from coolant, rad etc..

-long wide track and ski's for floatation.

-bigger engines can't be cooled with a fan so most big engine's are liquid. And big engines weigh more. So thats my understanding of most trapping sleds are under 500 cc's.

-big cc's engines use more gas. It's better to have a fuel efficient sled so you don't have to pack as much gas

-very reliable lol.. can't be screwing around with repairs when your alone in the middle of your line. My understanding is fan cooled are easier to fix and tent to be more reliable. And they can get high mileage with not many isses.
To me being relaible means they should be designed with simplicity in mind.

-2 strokes are lighter than 4's, so most trapping sleds are 2 stroke.

I know new sleds are designed different and what I am saying only applies to what I know. Which is older sleds.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 PM

The 37" stance is still not tippy and can sqeeze down narrow trails. The Tundra has only 32" stance, tippy in deep snow, but very manuverable.

Trapping sled for me is air cool, hot air blowing to warm hands, face. Long track with rack to haul cargo, big windsheild for cold days. Not to wide, cut a narrow trail and most weekend snowmobilers can't follow.
Tundra 300 single cyl engine is super on gas, use the 550 Tundra if i'm hauling freight. Sled needs to be simple, electric and pull start is nice, in cause one fails.
Wide skis are nice, keeps the nose up when breaking new trail.

Have an hour meter on the 300, ave use on the line for a 6 hr day is 2 liters per hr. 550 burns more the twice that same usage.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Yamaha,s ... Have owned 3 -starting with old Bravo,s which are unbelievably low maintenance . Only issue was steering linkage freezing occasionally. Newest yammer hammer is VK540 (Viking) ... Wide, long track- good storage under seat, low geared for pulling. Enticer II from 90's was good sled too

New Tundras sound hard to work on, and tippy. Got too fancy for a work sled I think
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 AM

For VK 540 ... In fairness , should mention that ski,s can torpedo in snow and hang up... May need to get more of a curved ski tip to solve problem
Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 AM

New Tundras sound hard to work on, and tippy. Got too fancy for a work sled I think[/QUOTE]

Lots of panels and stuff to take off to get to engine, Yeah, miss the old two hold down straps and lift the hood and everything is right there.

ruger300
Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 AM

I've got 4 ,, 1 Bravo long track , 1 Tundra , one Bear Cat , and a 377 Safari , they all have good and bad qualities , this year this year none of them are any good !!!! But the one that seems to weather this 4 feet of baseless powders the best is the Tundra ll .
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the input..

It's very aggravating trying to find something on kijiji. I've found a few, but since I am a few hours away from a city and need a day to pick them up, they are gone before I can convince the seller to take a EMT of half the sled and I'll pick it up the next day with the other half.

Missed a good polaris wide track yesterday...
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Banned

Isn't such a thing as a good polaris.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM

I have the Yamaha VK540. Great wide track. Good storage. Fuel consumption is pretty good. Not the lightest sled but movable if you get stuck. If you find one for $4500 and in good condition... i would highly recommend it.