Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 PM

Default homemade target arrow insert help needed

I've been pounding hundreds of shots over the last few months into a homemade target in the garage. It's the classic youtube target of a box stuffed with clothes, packed in plastic bags. I've been rotating the taget, and have 2 of them, so I don't think I've shot it up yet.

Since spring this has been awesome, but very recently (maybe heat/temperature related?) my inserts and field tips have been staying in the target, becoming detached from the arrow as I pull the arrow from the target. (the insert and tip detach from the shaft when I pull it out from the target)

I will be buying a "proper" target soon, as I need to start shooting broadheads, but in the mean time, and moving forward, as I love my massive clothes stuffed garage target...has anyone got any advice to share on how I can get a strong a bond as possible on my inserts and arrows? This has only become a problem recently.
thanks
hh
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM

2 part EPOXY 24 hour type. The best I found is at the glof course for carbon shaft glof clubs.it is called Shafting Epoxy from Golf Works.
Pete
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 PM

Thanks Pete, will give that a shot.
One work around is simply sacrificing a couple of arrows and firing them without any tips at all...considering the purpose of shooting in the garage is to just get a consistent anchor point and develop form and muscle memory.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
2 part EPOXY 24 hour type. The best I found is at the glof course for carbon shaft glof clubs.it is called Shafting Epoxy from Golf Works.
Pete
Use to have same problem and started using 2 part epoxy and it works great! Have not lost a insert yet!!!