Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Highwood June 20

Buddy and I tried the highwood last night downstream of Longview.

Perfect weather, maybe a little windy, water temp was 13-15 degrees. Fairly clear water

I consider us both decent fly fishermen and have fished the Highwood many times, ( just not down stream ) But we had zero hits all night but the most bizarre thing we saw ZERO activity of any fish in close to 1 km of water. Not a single rise, not a single splash. 9pm there were a bazillion bugs on the water - Stones, Caddis, Duns and still nothing

Is it to early in the season? Fish havn't moved into their summer homes yet? Are there fish even down there? Anyone else have any luck or at least see a fish?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Still early I think. I fished last night too, the cutties were in the runs one would expect, didn’t see any risers though.

Had a couple flash at my streamer but not reckless cutty takes. Then I saw a couple golden stones on shore, so I tied on a yellow micro-hopper with a dropper and caught 2 decent fish. Those were the only rises of the night, been a weird year all around, just have to be patient until things shape-up
Old 06-21-2018, 11:05 AM

I spent 3 days and hiked about 10 KM of Shunda Creek, never spotted a fish of any kind. No rises etc. Mind you there was a few inches of snow on the ground my first day, second and 3rd were sunny. Did not notice a hatch at all. All the locals said I was at least 2 weeks early.

BW
Old 06-21-2018, 02:21 PM

I have fished down from Longview many times with lots of success. I even put a mask and snorkel on one time to have a look what all was down there and saw about 50 fish in one pool. Haven’t been down there since 2014 though. Not sure why it was so slow. Maybe an off day or maybe an off year.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the replies, guess we will have to try in a few weeks
Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 PM

Went out the day prior, just where Flat Creek flows into it. Same deal, Fished about a km of the highwood with zero action. Tried about a dozen different setups. Sat on a high bank and watched for a while and really nothing going on. Walked up Flat creek for a bit, and got two on dry's. Hopefully she picks up soon! at least the clarity is getting there.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:17 AM

That's pretty typical this time of year I find. When the water gets a little lower and slower the bite is usually on. One odd question for you though, was the wind from the east? I've always found wind from the east yields crappy fishing results for whatever reason.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:41 AM

Fished it last night. Same thing; water was high and fast, nothing rising, nothing taking nymphs. Good clarity but I think still a bit early.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:10 AM

I did hear from a guy last night the bow is hot right now, rainbows are back and hungry anyone else having luck?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 AM

It's a bit early yet, low and slow is your best bet. I picked a few off with CJ's a few days ago, none up top.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
That's pretty typical this time of year I find. When the water gets a little lower and slower the bite is usually on. One odd question for you though, was the wind from the east? I've always found wind from the east yields crappy fishing results for whatever reason.
Old fisherman’s axiom

Wind from the south blows hook to the south
Wind from the east fishing is least
Wind from the west fishing is best
Wind from the north wise fishermen do not go forth!!!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Old fisherman’s axiom

Wind from the south blows hook to the south
Wind from the east fishing is least
Wind from the west fishing is best
Wind from the north wise fishermen do not go forth!!!
?? You kind of hashed that one up, maybe try again!
Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 PM

got out yesterday again in the a.m prior to the storm front rolling in. Much better success, 6 fish within hour and a half. All on stones under a strike indicator. There was a hatch of small green beetles (not sure exactly what they are) and a ton of fish started rising, but then the rain started hammering. Hopefully she clears up from that rain soon!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:56 PM

Default Fisheries Explanation??

Spoke to a few people from the fisheries department while on the river on monday...they were looking for Redds in some spawning tribs and had found none, and no signs of fish staging...they figured the long winter has delayed spawning and movement in the high country streams as water temps are still below normal...

They seemed knowledgeable, maybe that's why...
Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM

Default July 8th

Hit the highwood yesterday and it was first time I'd gone there this time of the season without seeing a single fish active on the surface. Tried a dry-drop setup and a 2 nymph rig under an indicator with zero luck. Finally decided to throw an olive conehead streamer on to entice some bulls. Turned the day around and brought in a couple small bulls, an 18" rainbow and some nice cutts.

Figured I'd share and see if anyone else has noticed similar lack of activity/success with the dries/nymphs lately?

Cheers,

Stan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0668.jpg (48.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0659.jpg (57.6 KB, 90 views)