Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 04:29 PM

Default wading boots

time for new boots.

does anyone have the Korker boots with removable soles? how do you like them? are they easy to change between the soles while still on your feet?

thanks
Mike
Old 07-04-2018, 08:32 PM

I have an original pair of Guides with the Boa system that I loved. Never had issues with changing the soles and loved them...

I haven't heard great things about the latest models with all kinds of quality control issues, but I have only heard...

-Confucius
Old 07-04-2018, 09:00 PM

I have a pair of the Korkers. I don't mind them as a boot but I wouldn't say they would be easy to change with your foot in the boot. I am not flexible enough to try that maneuver anymore. Boot alone they are a bit of work but not too bad.

Mine have the BOA system which is OK although I don't mind tying my own laces so not a big deal. No issues with it though.

Now for the other part. I tried the rubber soles one time. ANd never again unless I don't plan on leaving the boat. They are the slipperiest thing I have ever worn. I was on my ass in about 3 steps on the Bow and just in shallow easy water.

I have a pair of sims Vibram boots as well with the carbide studs and they seem to do the trick. You can't put studs in the corkers. So they are my felt boots and the Sims are my rubber boots.

That's my opinion.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
I have a pair of the Korkers. I don't mind them as a boot but I wouldn't say they would be easy to change with your foot in the boot. I am not flexible enough to try that maneuver anymore. Boot alone they are a bit of work but not too bad.

Mine have the BOA system which is OK although I don't mind tying my own laces so not a big deal. No issues with it though.

Now for the other part. I tried the rubber soles one time. ANd never again unless I don't plan on leaving the boat. They are the slipperiest thing I have ever worn. I was on my ass in about 3 steps on the Bow and just in shallow easy water.

I have a pair of sims Vibram boots as well with the carbide studs and they seem to do the trick. You can't put studs in the corkers. So they are my felt boots and the Sims are my rubber boots.

That's my opinion.
I have the same experience with those boots and the rubber soles. You really have to watch your feet or you might be on your ass. The best traction is raw mountain stream rock beds with the rubber soles but any algae or slime downstream and you gotta be careful. The felt soles are great but now you have to rinse everything with felt. Worth the trade off in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:56 PM

I've had a pair of Metalhead boots with the Boa system since 2011. I finally had to replace the Boa laces last summer. My 60 year old back appreciates the Boa system!

I've changed my soles with the boots on. I find it fairly straight forward. I've got the same comments as the above posts regarding the rubber soles. Ok if you have to walk any distance to get to the river but I use felts in the water and hose them down every night. You just have to be careful in the Bow regardless of what soles you are wearing.

I also did have loose stitching last fall at the points where the boot bends. The local shoe repair guy put new stitching in them for $35. The newer boots have an improved design in that area.

Ken
Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 AM

thanks

i not dead set on the Korkers, just curious. i like rubber soled boots a bit better then felt as i do a lot of walking and find the felt soles are horrible on wet grass and muddy banks. trade off to being horrible on slimey rocks (like the Freeman)
might also look at the felt soled boots with studs. have friends who have them and say they are good. or the sims with the studs sounds interesting also. options are open.

thanks
Mike
Old 07-05-2018, 09:32 AM

I did the studs once and they were only fine in the water. Try walking on a flat rock to step up and you slip. I ended up pounding in the studs.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Really!! I find the carbide studs are awesome on smooth/flat dry rock!!

Which ones are you using? The Grip Studs work quite well in my exp.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
I did the studs once and they were only fine in the water. Try walking on a flat rock to step up and you slip. I ended up pounding in the studs.

-Confucius
Old 07-05-2018, 03:59 PM

Default Anyone try these?

Has anyone tried the Hodgman interchangeables?

http://www.hodgman.com/hodgman-wade-boots/

So tired of walking in felt. Good for water, but hellish to walk around. Need a boot sole that's much more hiking friendly. It's downright treacherous to use felt on grass and such.

I'm definitely getting Korkers or those Hodgmans.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:23 PM

If you do much of the drift boat thing the studs are hard on boat floors as well.