Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 06:48 PM

Default Montana fishing this weekend???

So my wife just surprised me with a bday present.
We are heading down to Eureka this weekend and she says bring your fishing gear. (no guide, just go) I've never fished out of Alberta so I have no idea what to expect.
(I don't think this is the best way to do it but "I don't want to go fishing" isn't something you will hear me say).
Ice gear? fly gear? I would guess lakes are frozen. What is Tobacco river access like? Is the season even open.
I'm going to try find the regs tonight.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 02-24-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
So my wife just surprised me with a bday present.
We are heading down to Eureka this weekend and she says bring your fishing gear. (no guide, just go) I've never fished out of Alberta so I have no idea what to expect.
(I don't think this is the best way to do it but "I don't want to go fishing" isn't something you will hear me say).
Ice gear? fly gear? I would guess lakes are frozen. What is Tobacco river access like? Is the season even open.
I'm going to try find the regs tonight.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
The ice is very sketchy right now. I have a cabin and a buddy and I were there last weekend to ice fish. We actually decided to fish the Kootenany river just below Libby dam for the 2 days...Quite a few people fishing...In the section we were fishing, someone pulled out a 35lb Rainbow couple weeks ago according to the owner at the Northwestern sports store in Eureka. The limit is one rainbow over 28" in that section and closes at the end of the month....I only caught a 4lb sucker but he fought like a big Rainbow...LOL...

I am busy right now, but will give you some more info tommorow morning which should help you. Stop in at the Sports store when you pick up a fishing licence and the owner will help you....She is a wealth of information whenever I stop in when I go down to my cabin.....
Old 02-24-2016, 09:22 PM

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the info.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 02-24-2016, 09:52 PM

A friend has a cabin out by Kooc and said there was no ice. We were suppose to play in the "Pond Hockey Classic" out by Kalispell and they had to cancel due to ice conditions. If you head out be careful!!
Cheers!!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:37 AM

Hit the Kootenai. Lots of fish in there.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:58 PM

We ice fished on the lower Stillwater last weekend and got a few perch, talked to others who got into a pile of small pike on the same lake. Most creeks and rivers including the Tobacco don't open till the third Saturday in May. Unfortunately their new license calendar date is March 1st...Near $70 for non resident...but enjoy the cheap beer and check out this brewpub about 10 k south of Eureka....http://www.habrewing.com/
Old 02-25-2016, 09:13 PM

Thanks for all the info people. Kind of sucks but...
I read the Montana regs and yes the rivers and streams are closed from November 30th until the third Saturday of may. Lakes and reservoirs are open all year but with the warm weather and the unknown to me waters. I'm not going to risk the ice conditions.
I guess I can spend more time enjoying the beer.