Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 12:55 PM

Default Homemade fish stock

Hello,

I make my own chicken, turkey stock (broth) as well with wild game.

I have never made fish stock, but thought I'd give it a try.

Can you use any species of fish for this?

I kept the heads, skin and bones of a few Lake Trout I caught and froze it. Can I use lake trout to make fish stock? Read a few posts online saying it is to greasy.

Any feedback is appreciate.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 PM

I would not use trout species for a fish stock. They can get pretty oily and greasy. That applies to lake whitefish too.

The best bet would likely be a pile of walleye bones and heads because it is not oily, nice meaty flesh, and does not have any slime. Pike may work too but I would watch how much skin goes in as it could contribute to the slime.

As long as the fish is clean and fresh I do not see why a freshwater fish could not be used. It's just the clean part that is hard to find with all of the gunk in our lakes and the muddy taste some fish have.

Doesn't hurt to try though.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 PM

I too make my own stock.

Never tried fish but I wouldn't use lake trout. Really oily.

Agree, Walleye and perch heads, bones, and skin if you scaled and washed it really good. Let us know how it turns out
Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 PM

You can do this, salmon or even lake whitefish make a lovely stock. Google salmon stock and you will see how people do it. There is nothing wrong with the fattier fishes if you have fresh ingredients and do it properly, makes really good chowder. I feel if you're going to be harvesting fish/ game we should make all effort to use it as effectively as possible. Elk/ deer stock make some of the best soup imaginable once the fat is off, fresh caught fish can be used in the same way.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:26 PM

as been already said trout and salmon have a lot of oils in them for making a stock but that does not mean you can not make a stock from, it just means your stock will have more of a cloud appearance to it than a clear appearance. You can skim the fat from the stock.

Again as mentioned they are a slimier fish, which means more work to prep for making a good fish stock.

I personally make my stock from halibut bones, crab shells, lobster shells, clam and mussels, oysters but then being from the coast I have a greater access than y'all from the prairies.

I think if you are making a stock and turning it into a fumet, the acids from the white wine or lemon juice will hep break down the fats/oil a little more than just being a stock.

You also may need to strain your fish stock a couple more times fr clarity if using an oilier fish.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 AM

Slimy, oily, cloudy fish stock... none for me thanks...
Old 02-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_hunterette View Post
as been already said trout and salmon have a lot of oils in them for making a stock but that does not mean you can not make a stock from, it just means your stock will have more of a cloud appearance to it than a clear appearance. You can skim the fat from the stock.

Again as mentioned they are a slimier fish, which means more work to prep for making a good fish stock.

I personally make my stock from halibut bones, crab shells, lobster shells, clam and mussels, oysters but then being from the coast I have a greater access than y'all from the prairies.

I think if you are making a stock and turning it into a fumet, the acids from the white wine or lemon juice will hep break down the fats/oil a little more than just being a stock.

You also may need to strain your fish stock a couple more times fr clarity if using an oilier fish.
That stock sounds fantastic! Are you willing to share your recipe?

We keep a boat on the coast and are out there often, and would love to use the scraps for stock - but never have.

I can offer a deadly Bouillabaisse recipe in exchange.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
That stock sounds fantastic! Are you willing to share your recipe?

We keep a boat on the coast and are out there often, and would love to use the scraps for stock - but never have.

I can offer a deadly Bouillabaisse recipe in exchange.
I have been known to share my recipes once in awhile, LOL LOL LOL
Old 02-25-2016, 12:14 PM

Default Requested by The Fisherman Guy

Quote:
I have been known to share my recipes once in awhile, LOL LOL LOL
FISH STOCK OR SEAFOOD STOCK

8 c. water (add more water if needed)

3 Tbsp. olive oil

Mirepoix: (common in the chef world of vegetable combination chopped onion, celery, carrot)
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 lg. carrot, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped

1 sm. Fennel bulb, chopped
Salt
2 to 5 lbs fish bones & heads
Or/also
Lobster carcass shell, crab carcass shell, clam, mussel, oyster shells
2 bay leaves
1-2 tsp dried or 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme (I prefer fresh)
Handful dried mushrooms (s hitake or matsutake) (optional)
4 pieces dried kombu kelp (optional)
1-star anise (optional)

Heat your oil in a large pot and add your mirepoix to it (vegetables) stirring often until they are soft but do not let them brown, usually takes about 10 minutes.

Start adding the rest of the ingredients as well as the water. Be sure ingredients are covered by 1"-2" of water at all times.

Bring it to a simmer (no higher than 175) do not let it boil.

Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and cheese cloth, begin ladelling the stock through this set up into the bowl. There will be sediment at bottom of pot, do not worry about that, just discard.

Strain stock 1-2 more times (optional) I do this if I plan on making a bisque from the stock.

Fish/Seafood stock will keep for 1 week in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer but it is always the very best fresh.

Now if you want a fumet:
Add 2 c. white wine

Fish stock doesn’t take long to cook but the prep time is tedious but necessary. If you cook too long stock can become cloudy and bitter. You want to be sure you have thoroughly rinsed all bones and heads well and free of any slime and no gills (gills will ruin the stock).

I make my stock a little differently than traditionally because I am experimental and I have a tendency to combine traditional with fusion. I mix up recipes to find the flavours I want in my foods. Living in BC gives me a port and open market to find very unique and exotic foods to create basics and elevate them.

enjoy
Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. Awesome stuff here.

I make all my stock without anything added. No spices, just water.

I don't add anything so I can put some in ice cube trays for treats for my dog. She goes bananas for it. haha.

After simmered for an hour, I strain it with a very fine steel mesh strainer and let it sit. Skim the fat off the top and put in fridge. Next day skim the fat again. Freeze some in ice cube trays and some in 2 cup containers to use when i make wild game stew/soup in the slow cooker. Awesome stuff, if I do say so myself. Hahaha.

So I will experiment with the lake trout. Thanks for the input about removing the gills. I never would have thought of that.

Your fish stock recipe looks awesome, by the way.

I to agree that after harvesting any fish/animals, it is our responsibility to use as much of it as possible. Looking forward to giving fish stock a try.

Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
FISH STOCK OR SEAFOOD STOCK
Awesome! Thank you Moose Hunterette!

Here is my all time favorite Bouillabaisse recipe.

Seafood Bouillabaisse

Ingredients:

2lbs white flesh fish
1/2 - 1lb Shrimp, Prawn, Crab, Lobster, Octopus meat - or a combination of all
12 Small clams
12 Mussels
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 Onion finely chopped
2 Shallots, minced
4 Garlic cloves, minced
2 cups fish stock
1 (13oz) can of tomatoes with liquid
2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne
1/2 tsp each of thyme, basil, & saffron

Method:

Cut fish into bite sized pieces. Shell shrimp, crab and lobster. Scrub clam and mussel shells. Leave mussel beards on for saltier flavor, remove if desired. Heat oil. Saute onion, shallots, and garlic about 10 minutes. Add can of tomatoes and seasonings, lower heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add all seafood. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Discard any clams or mussels that have not opened. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese and garlic toast.

Now we can make our own fish stock with your recipe, to add to our soups!

An absolute staple for us whenever we are on the coast - enjoy.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Awesome! Thank you Moose Hunterette!

Here is my all time favorite Bouillabaisse recipe.

Seafood Bouillabaisse

Ingredients:

2lbs white flesh fish
1/2 - 1lb Shrimp, Prawn, Crab, Lobster, Octopus meat - or a combination of all
12 Small clams
12 Mussels
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 Onion finely chopped
2 Shallots, minced
4 Garlic cloves, minced
2 cups fish stock
1 (13oz) can of tomatoes with liquid
2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne
1/2 tsp each of thyme, basil, & saffron

Method:

Cut fish into bite sized pieces. Shell shrimp, crab and lobster. Scrub clam and mussel shells. Leave mussel beards on for saltier flavor, remove if desired. Heat oil. Saute onion, shallots, and garlic about 10 minutes. Add can of tomatoes and seasonings, lower heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add all seafood. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Discard any clams or mussels that have not opened. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese and garlic toast.

Now we can make our own fish stock with your recipe, to add to our soups!

An absolute staple for us whenever we are on the coast - enjoy.
This sounds absolutely divine......thank you for sharing with me....