Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Quad starter spinning backwards.

I have an old Yamaha kids quad and the starter has never worked, forcing me to push start it for them whenever they manage to stall it. The starter spins but the engine does not turn over. I was told by the neighbor I bought it from that the starter did work at one point. So today I decided enough with the push starting, I would get that starter working. I took the starter off and couldn't see any reason it wouldn't work, eventually I spun the starter with it off of the bike and it is spinning the wrong direction, spinning the gear train in the freewheel direction rather than turning the engine over.

The starter can only be hooked up one way, I traced the wiring back and everything looks correct. Any suggestions at what else I could look at would be welcome. This is the second time I have seen a starter spin the wrong way, but the other time it was a new starter I had put on a pump jack popper, and it was defective. Never seen one switch directions, assuming my neighbor was telling the truth.