Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-05-2018, 09:54 PM

Question Hunting Pack Advice?

super stoked to get into back country hunting this year, I did a little bit last year but was not prepared at all, need some advice on choosing a pack. Been looking at eco mountain , blacks creek, outdoorsmen, kifaru, kiui ... not sure on what frame styles or pack aspects to look out for . Planning on hunting 7-10 days at a time . If I’m gonna spend the money on this kinda wanna make the right choice. Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:00 PM

Decker pack saddle...lol put all your stuff on a mule and have at it. lol

I have an Eberlestock Just One Pack and it carries what I need, granted I don't pack things for overnight trips. just emergency supplies in case I have to stay out over night etc..
Old 06-05-2018, 10:02 PM

Default Packs

I think I have had every make and some high end customs as well. The 2 companies I look at are Stone Glacier and Kifaru. Pretty hard to go wrong with either.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 PM

Default Packs

Check out the Rokslide Forums for advice on packs, many first hand tests/evaulations on all equipment. Its a great source for the pack backing hunter.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 PM

I bought a Kuiu. So far I am not impressed. Not as light as advertised and not comfortable at all. I hope it brakes in but I am not holding my breath. Some people really like them....
Old 06-05-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
I bought a Kuiu. So far I am not impressed. Not as light as advertised and not comfortable at all. I hope it brakes in but I am not holding my breath. Some people really like them....
Oh ya given the history theres a good chance it will break.

Kifaru or Stone Glacier for me.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Banned

Osprey xenith 88

Don’t get caught up in the hunting pack hype. Expensive lesson to learn. Grab an osprey from a mountain gear shop on sale for a few hundred and call it a day.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Osprey xenith 88

Don’t get caught up in the hunting pack hype. Expensive lesson to learn. Grab an osprey from a mountain gear shop on sale for a few hundred and call it a day.
Also an Arcteryx Bora if you can find one is a great mountain pack. One of my first 'serious' packs was a Lowe Alpine and served me well.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 AM

Burlap sack on a stick.I met a hobo under a train bridge and that's what he swore by.....and none of this liteweight/amateur hour 7-10 days nonsense neither,he'd been camping out for 11 years like that.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post

I have an Eberlestock Just One Pack and it carries what I need, granted I don't pack things for overnight trips. just emergency supplies in case I have to stay out over night etc..
I won't buy this pack again although it is nice, the pack itself weight 7 to 8 lbs that seem heavy to me.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Osprey xenith 88

Good advice. You said you wanted to get it right, its very easy to find Osprey packs and try them on to confirm they fit correctly. Great warranty too. I have two myself.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:41 AM

I just picked up a pack from Exo Mountain Gear out of Boise - most comfortable pack I've ever owned. Buy once cry once as they say. Steve (the owner) has personally replied back to me within minutes every time I've sent an email and kept me in the loop the whole time as for when my stuff was getting ready to be shipped.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Default pack

I went with the stone glacier with rifle sling from the eberlystock all in one. Love great fit and feel even with a heavy load!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
super stoked to get into back country hunting this year, I did a little bit last year but was not prepared at all, need some advice on choosing a pack. Been looking at eco mountain , blacks creek, outdoorsmen, kifaru, kiui ... not sure on what frame styles or pack aspects to look out for . Planning on hunting 7-10 days at a time . If I’m gonna spend the money on this kinda wanna make the right choice. Any input is appreciated.
Where are you located, I have a new never used in the back country EXO 5500 here that you could try on, Camrose area
Old 06-06-2018, 08:16 AM

I ran a Mystery Ranch Metcalf last year and loved it. For 7-10 days, however, I think you'd be looking to size-up to the Marshall.

My $0.02.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM

Just went through the same thing. Picking up my stone glacier sky archer from the post office today Will put up a review when I get some miles on it

As mentioned, head over to rokslide. Lots of reviews. Stone glacier, kifaru, exo are all worth looking at.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Also an Arcteryx Bora if you can find one is a great mountain pack. One of my first 'serious' packs was a Lowe Alpine and served me well.

Good packs, I have 5 of them in different configurations and sizes. Got them all off kijiji and none was over 60 bucks.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Just went through the same thing. Picking up my stone glacier sky archer from the post office today Will put up a review when I get some miles on it

As mentioned, head over to rokslide. Lots of reviews. Stone glacier, kifaru, exo are all worth looking at.
if you dont mind me asking whats the all in price CAD after shipping and all? i am looking at this pack as well but hesitate because of the exchange rate.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Burlap sack on a stick.I met a hobo under a train bridge and that's what he swore by.....and none of this liteweight/amateur hour 7-10 days nonsense neither,he'd been camping out for 11 years like that.
What species of stick? Green or dried? How many elk did he haul out per stick? What was the lifespan of the burlap sack under load?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Good packs, I have 5 of them in different configurations and sizes. Got them all off kijiji and none was over 60 bucks.
I was in Crown Surplus the other day and they were selling an Arxteryx pack made for the military that looked like it was based on the Bora design. Allot more than $60!
Old 06-06-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
if you dont mind me asking whats the all in price CAD after shipping and all? i am looking at this pack as well but hesitate because of the exchange rate.
Hunting and fishing doesn’t cost money. It’s just part of life. (That’s what I tell myself)

Sky archer, load cell dry bag, rain cover, quick release rifle sling, shipping: $816.15 USD @ whatever the MasterCard exchange rate was that day. I don’t have the CAD price right now. Will let you know when I do.

Good thing is, right now under current NAFTA rules, we don’t pay extra on US made goods. That very well may change. For example, sleeping bags are on the tarriff list going into effect July 1
Old 06-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Where are you located, I have a new never used in the back country EXO 5500 here that you could try on, Camrose area

Edmonton , is it for sale? If so what are you asking? I heard the exo could use a bit more padding, I do love listening to Steve’s podcasts tho sounds like a decent dude.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 AM

I have the Eberlystock dragonfly. I packed out a Whitetail deer buck in one trip last fall .-20 It could’ve been being bundled up the waist strap wouldn’t hook on my hips properly . Pack wait was around 100 pounds. Painful pack out . Other than that the park is brand new so I haven’t made up my mind if I like it or not.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post

Edmonton , is it for sale? If so what are you asking? I heard the exo could use a bit more padding, I do love listening to Steve’s podcasts tho sounds like a decent dude. Thanks for your replies guys
Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Packs

Everything about hunting is a preference. I went deep into gear and now I shake my head at some items and love others.

I got the exo 3500 and it’s the best purchase yet. Really good pack and I use it for its intended purposes. My cousin has the Kuiu pack and he loves it. A buddy went with the mystery ranch from crown and he is pretty happy also. I did a bunch of research and I preferred the camo pattern and the pockets about the exo. All the top packs stone and kifaru will do the same as the ones we are running. It just comes down to preference of look and price.
My exo shopped to Calgary was $900. The Kuiu was $700 and the MR was $350.
Don’t I feel stupid spending the money .... no I’m ok with the purchase because it is a great pack. But as other guys are saying they will all do the same and you can get cheaper options.
We went for the meat hauling capability and back country. Watch some reviews on YouTube and if you don’t like the fit of an ordered pack they will accept it back within 30 days.
It’s all about how they fit on your body.
Good luck. Keep us posted as to what you go with.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Yes, i should have mentioned the Arcteryx Bora line! That's an amazing pack, somewhere north of 80 liter capacity should be the size range to look for 7-10 day stuff.

An uncle/mountaineering guy who has guided dahl sheep and bou's nwt for 20 plus years and climbs peaks all over the world, and trains mountain guides etc. uses the big bora's. Awesome packs.

More people doing mountain work than hunters so the market for good packs is already well established. Point is don't get caught up in the hunting pack racket...expensive af and painful too lol.

I know nothing of the lowe alpine but have no doubt in your endorsement!

Also kijiji would be a good place to score a pack!!! Go get sized (medium or large etc.) and then set some alerts up and start watching for a few of these mountain packs imo.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:11 AM

We used the Bora's in our Ski Patrol dept. on the westcoast... those things were absolutely bomber. I hadn't actually thought about using them for hunting. I guess I got too caught up in the hunting-specific brands.

If you're looking for something of arguably equal quality at a bit of a lower cost with a bullet proof warranty, the Bora would actually be a great option.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Banned

ya in mountain packs (not hunting packs) the bora would be the high end choice no doubt, the osprey xenith is the choice for when the wallet is a major factor
Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Regarding the “other” mountain brand packs not specifically made for hunting, be sure to try them out, on hills, with the weight you plan on carrying out if successful. The main advantage (other than price) is that you can go to a store and try/return em, so do it.

There can be a big difference in comfort and stability between the standard 35-45 lbs (of gear), and 80 lbs (of meat).
Old 06-06-2018, 02:47 PM

Hi

I bought a stone glacier a few years ago and it has been great - hauls a load well, comfortable and light - can’t really go wrong

Cheers,