Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Default Bear pelts

So a few guys went from work went hunting this season but now they don't have the money to get them tanned for a rug. I told them I would take them, but can I flesh them and sell them at the NAFA auction next winter? I only have my resident trapping licence. I know you get bear tags with the registered trapping licence. But just thought I would ask before I do all the work to prep the hides.

Thanks guys
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 PM

People ship bears all the time, but....

They must be complete, all claws attached
Leave the hunters tag on if tagged
Keep record of land location if shot on private land
Keep written record of the person gifting you the bear and signed by that person

Please turn the ears and split the lips by making a slice thru one side of the lip the length of the lip

Please pack the feet, ears, lips, tail in salt or borax, dry thoroughly before you ship

I think that covers it. Don't ship incomplete bears, you could end up with a fine and it seems like the law people enjoy taking people's hunting licences away if they possibly can.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. I knew they had to be complete but didn't realize you could get a fine for an incomplete?? The NAFA grading guide for bears says they are split into complete and incomplete categories, with the incomplete obviously being worth a lot less.

I have skinned bears before for taxidermy but If you pack the feet with salt or borax do you still need to skin down to the last knuckle?

Sorry the extra questions, still new at this. My biggest worry was sending in a pelt on the wrong licence (resident vs. registered)

Thanks