Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-28-2017, 06:25 PM

I have an a7 Roughtech with a nightforce on it that will shoot sub MOA out to 800yards (havent gotten to shoot further). I also have the a7 lite with the burris combo scope it has preset hash marks out to 600 and will shoot sub MOA groups as well. The nightforce is significantly easier to set up for shots and is more consistent. Ive also used a vortex hst which was fantastic for the money but didnt perform as well as the nightforce. I would say buy what you can afford and dont try to save money
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Banned

1599.99 + 5%
Vortex viper Pst gen2 FFP in Mrads
Old 08-28-2017, 07:55 PM

The zeiss hd5 or Swarovski z3 is all the scope you will ever need in 20 years cost is 51 dollars a year,resale is good if your not happy and there are sales across Canada,that's a case of beer 30 pack bud, once a year think about it?

In 20 years you will sell it for half price or more,but we will say 50 perecent return,it cost you 26 dollars a year to use it about 2 bucks a month.These scopes hold there value.Think about an Iphone at a 100 a month in 20 years,=24,000,kids are running around with them buy the million and zero value in the end.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:05 PM

I don't know if there is such a thing as a magic dollar value for a scope.

A couple of years ago I bought a rifle from a friend, it was from a good company but he had misplaced the test target that came with it. There was a decent scope on it, I couldn't get it to shoot, changed it to another good brand with no real results. The best I could get was groups in the 1/2 to 3/4" range. For some reason I put a 3x9 Vortex on it, bore sighted it, and the first three rounds were in an incredible small group. I may shoot for a while and not get as good.

The first scope was a 3200 Bushnell ( I forget the power ) and the second was a 6x18 Leupold AR and they were bested by a $300 3x9 Vortex.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:39 PM

Just about ready to purchase my first higher end scope. Been looking at NF NXS series. I've hunted for years with less, but want to top my target rifle with something a little more heavy duty. I have followed the adage to spend the same on the scope as the rifle. Though it hasn't failed me yet, i see the wisdom in spending more on the optic. I know a fellow that has one one very nice target scope, and a couple 3-9 hunting scopes. Does all his load development with the target scope, and slaps the more compact hunting scope on for the field.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I don't know if there is such a thing as a magic dollar value for a scope.

A couple of years ago I bought a rifle from a friend, it was from a good company but he had misplaced the test target that came with it. There was a decent scope on it, I couldn't get it to shoot, changed it to another good brand with no real results. The best I could get was groups in the 1/2 to 3/4" range. For some reason I put a 3x9 Vortex on it, bore sighted it, and the first three rounds were in an incredible small group. I may shoot for a while and not get as good.

The first scope was a 3200 Bushnell ( I forget the power ) and the second was a 6x18 Leupold AR and they were bested by a $300 3x9 Vortex.
1/2"- 3/4" seems like good results to me!
Old 08-29-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
1/2"- 3/4" seems like good results to me!
The rifle is a Cooper in 218 Bee. Cooper guarantees better. I did a lot of development work and really couldn't break the 1/2" mark by much.

The sight in group with the Vortex was three rounds in the teens.

Right now I am waiting for the right day to do some shooting. I am going to shoot two groups with the Vortex, install the Leupold, torque down all the bolts/screws correctly, shoot two groups with the Leupold.

If group sizes remain the same, I will send the target in with the scope for service.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Rimfires $300 to $400.
Loaner centerfire $300.
Big game rifles $800 to $1200.
Coyote rifle $1400.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
The rifle is a Cooper in 218 Bee. Cooper guarantees better. I did a lot of development work and really couldn't break the 1/2" mark by much.

The sight in group with the Vortex was three rounds in the teens.

Right now I am waiting for the right day to do some shooting. I am going to shoot two groups with the Vortex, install the Leupold, torque down all the bolts/screws correctly, shoot two groups with the Leupold.

If group sizes remain the same, I will send the target in with the scope for service.
Coincidence I'd say.

Cooper guarantees 1/2 moa, but I don't think that's with any load. I've had several leupold scopes with no accuracy issues or problems holding zero, I also have an old Baush and Lomb 4200 that I've had zero issues with.

Now a days there are so many quality scopes at many price ranges, I think weight, reticle, and magnification are the determining factors that should be considered.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:15 AM

Nikon prostaffs and monarchs on all my rifles!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 PM

As much as I can afford at the time I need the scope. I bought a tikka t3 heavy barrel in .204 and started with a $400 scope and tried a few and now a $1600 sightron ffp 6-24x50 sits on top. Love to be able to see stuff up close and personal if I so choose. Has a crazy fine Reticle and the 2 moa marks are nice.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM

As much as I could get a good deal on, for a Diavari or Swaro Z6i. But I've not needed any new scopes for awhile, as I can easily transfer scopes between rifles using the alphamount. Getting a dedicated scope for every rifle is nuts; that's like getting a new truck for every trailer you might have.

The only exception is If I was going to get some massive rifle for Africa, then I'd probably get a dedicated low fixed-magnification Leupold or two for it, as that's different enough from present scopes to warrant it. But that whole deal is not in the cards this year.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:07 PM

I bought a VX-3i for my last rifle. Only spent a hair over 400$ brand new off Ebay. I'd buy another one as they are more than enough for my type of hunting.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've generally spent between $400 and $700. Less for rimfires. For that I get a decent scope that suits my purposes (casual big game hunting in Alberta one or two months per year, shots under 300 yards, not in ultra-harsh conditions). I readily admit you probably can get more scope for more money, but TO ME, it's not worth the extra expense. It might be well worth it to others.
I will argue with Oky on this one. Spend a LOT of money on your rim fire/Varmint scopes why shoot thousands of rounds through a rifle looking through a piece of cheap glass? with even cheaper internals?

Spend $500-$1000+ on your rifle scopes if your the normal guy who fires 100 or so rounds a year......If your into high volume shooting and precision? then spend what you can afford times two.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Banned

I just bought a Leupold Vxi-3 LRP First Focal Plane 8-25x50 with a milling reticle
I payed $1350 at Wholesale Sports On friday

Its getting mounted on a new remington 700 in 6.5 creedmoor
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 PM

This isn't a wedding ring. There's no math. I have a 1500 rifle and 3000 scope. The gun shoots better than I can. Need the scope to see out past a mile.

Buy what you need. And in my opinion buy the best you can afford. I will never have to buy another scope for that type of shooting I do again.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:14 AM

Depends on what rifle it's for, my hunting rifles for big game they have leaupold VX-2's on them. When I bought them they were 490 bucks but the price went up when I bought a silver VX-2 for my mountain rifle, I think it was 560? My other Leupolds work just as well and they are a VX-1 and a rifleman line up.

So I guess for a hunting rifle I'd spend up to/ around 600 bucks, I know for my future long range build the scope is gonna be the major investment.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:19 AM
Banned

I have 2 rifles, both Savage, one is a Model 14/.243 the other a Model 16/.223 ($1000 & $750 new, respectively)...

The .243 wears a ~$1000 Vortex 6-24x50mm HS-T (mrad).
The .223 wears a ~$1250 Sightron 6-24x50mm S-III (mrad).

* the prices quoted are what they cost "new", but I bought everything used and saved 20% (or more) on everything...