Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2015, 04:02 PM

Default 4 Weight questions

I've fished a 6 weight TFO rod now for 10 years. Time to upgrade. Looking to break the bank on a Sage or Orvis. I find my presentation isn't very delicate when fishing smaller flies, eg. #14 or 16 dries. I want to go 4 weight but maybe that's too small? Would a 4 weight limit me in any other way? I'd have my 6 weight which is a beast for indicators and nymphs.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:42 PM

I have an 8'6" 4 weight TFO ci (I think that's the model).

I love it. I wouldn't be using it for the Bow in these water conditions as it really tires a big fish out. For placing any fly within a reasonable distance I truly enjoy casting it. I have flung everything from size 20 all the way up to size 6 foam bugs in the same day and it does just fine.

I have caught browns up to 23 inches with it. It will leave you a little sore if you play a good number of fish on it for the day though.

I would suggest that you go out and cast a few different makes and models. Get the one that you cast the best in your price range. Certain rods don't work with certain casters and casting styles.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:43 PM

Your would be fine with a 4 weight. I have a 3wt 7'6" TFO and have done everything from dries on a 14' leader to trout streamers like sex dungeons. Only thing I would prefer is a little longer but I manage.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:09 PM

I do everything with no problems with a 390-4 Sage one.

Nymphing, streamers, dries. If you shell out the $ for a high end rod, its going to handle any kind of trout situation you'll put it in.

I also have the 490-4 Winston BIIMX which like the 390 One does everything.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:04 PM

Thanks boys good stuff.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:37 PM

7'6" 3 wt echo carbon I chuck big bushy dries, double nymph rigs with indicators and last week a pike streamer in a big deep hole for ****z and giggles. I wouldnt want to do it all day or all the time but you can if need be. As for fighting larger fish. Play it hard I have landed some huge trout on my old 4 wt quicker then my 6wt. It has to do more with your tippet and the angle of your rod tip. Remember the wt. Of a fly rod has nothing to do with its ability to handle a big fish. It has to do with correct loading and power transfer to get a certian wt of line to lay a fly out properly. I do however like casting single smaller dries to solitary feeding trout.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:37 PM

Best thing to do is go to your preferred retailer and cast a few.

What type of waters are you going to use this rod on? Like rycoma I throw all sorts of things with my 3wt's. I recently went to a faster 3wt which has been the best investment I have made. My older medium/fast action 3wt feels sloppy now. I use 3wts on most waters we fish and have even carried it on the bow. Lots of fun! So a 4wt I think you will be happy with depending on your usage. But I am more of a guy who skips a weight due to the cost. I like my 3, 5 and 7 weights. Maybe someday I will have a 4 and 6.

It's nice to break the bank as you say but get out and cast a few before you spend all those pennies.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:22 PM

Honestly it seems 80 percent of my fishing is stillwater because of location and life being busy. Looking to do more slopes fishing again though. I will definitely be trying some before purchase. I want to try the Orvis Recon vs. Helios2. Not sure on Sage yet.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 AM

I've got a 4wt TFO BVK which is now my go to rod. It's great tries a bunch before buying & still liked the TFO better. I hardly fish my 6wt sage anymore.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 AM

Dumb question from me : I use a 6 Weight TFO and was thinking of dropping to a 4 Weight myself - I understand the lighter rod in question with playing in a fish but what difference in general is casting distance come in to play? Is it the same if you use the same fly on both rods or do you lose some distance on the lighter weight.

I'm only questioning this now as a few comments on here are saying they use their 4W a lot more over their 6W.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
Dumb question from me : I use a 6 Weight TFO and was thinking of dropping to a 4 Weight myself - I understand the lighter rod in question with playing in a fish but what difference in general is casting distance come in to play? Is it the same if you use the same fly on both rods or do you lose some distance on the lighter weight.

I'm only questioning this now as a few comments on here are saying they use their 4W a lot more over their 6W.
You shouldn't lose any casting distance. At first maybe because of the change but once you become accustomed to the different action it should be the same.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
You shouldn't lose any casting distance. At first maybe because of the change but once you become accustomed to the different action it should be the same.
cool. thanks
Old 08-21-2015, 10:45 AM

I find my 4 weight is affected more by the wind than my 6 weight, especially if the wind is coming from the side.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 AM

Even entry level 4wts can handle quite a lot. My friend used a echo 4wt carbon and fished heavy fishskull heads and flies. A 24" bull was landed on it with no issues. Modern rods are so resilient and tough.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post

You will loose a bit of distance as the rod weight decreases.The difference between the 6 and the 4 will not be that noticeable but with larger changes it becomes quite apparent. You will never see a distance competition where people are using 2 weight rods against 5's and 6's and winning with equal abilities. The wind will become a much larger obstacle with lower line weights but the light feel and delicate presentation that the 4 and lower weight rods offer is very appealing. If you point your 4 wt. at the fish it will turn into a 10 wt.... You will lose more fish but you will land them quicker if you do.... you will become much more proficient with the drag too.
Lots of different opinions in this area and two I will add to is starting with 4 weight and under...stick with 2 piece rods if you can or at least try some out before committing your bucks. My favorite is a 2 piece z axis and we have 3 other 4 wts in the house too compare to including a 4 piece sage one. I would like to try out one of the one piece rods some day. If you are going for the presentation forget the weight forward lines and go straight to the double taper.
But this like every other point I have made is nothing more than a personal opinion.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:59 PM

I'm liking the double taper idea. Listened to the orvis podcast and the guys argument on weight forward vs double taper was interesting. Weight forward is for straight up distance which some need. Realistically we catch fish in 20-30 foot range and the double taper offers more control for different types of casts when the lines out and the weight is at the tip of the rod. I'm going double next line purchase.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2alarmfishing View Post
Honestly it seems 80 percent of my fishing is stillwater because of location and life being busy. Looking to do more slopes fishing again though. I will definitely be trying some before purchase. I want to try the Orvis Recon vs. Helios2. Not sure on Sage yet.
My friends dad pulled out a Helios2 today while on the river. 4 weight, 8.5 foot. It was simply a thing of beauty! Casted like a dream, even through the windy conditions we were battling! I would love to have the money to buy one!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:13 PM

Ya Buddy. Want to try cast one. I think there's a 9 foot but ugly camp real seat. Could be a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:19 PM

When it comes to 4wt and 6wt it all depends on where and what your fishing with. Look at it like this you wouldn't try to cast a 1/32 ounce jig with a heavy action rod and you wouldn't want to cas 3 oz of weight on a super light action rod. I much preferred to use my 6wt on the bow. Why because of chucking 2 nymphs with a lot of weight its just easier. Not saying you can't with a 4wt you have to be careful and its not easy. As for distance unless your in a casting competition most of your cast will be no further then 30ft if they are good luck trying to control your drift and drag. Just think of where your fishing and what you think you will be using and go from there.