Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
I read somewhere today that one of the best things about being a Flames fan means that playoff hockey doesn't cut into our 6 weeks of summer!

Tree
I hear that. It's pretty tough to find positives after your team breaks your heart but at least I'll be able to focus a bit more on fishing now. Not going to lie, I'd rather still be cheering on the Canucks, but hey, I love fishing.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I read somewhere today that one of the best things about being a Flames fan means that playoff hockey doesn't cut into our 6 weeks of summer!

Tree

Haha...that put a big ***** grin on my face. But you get a guarantee from Islanders to pick Hedman first (he is now rated first), Tampa has 2nd pick...do we not remember where ALL of Loungo's wife's family is?? Florida..and where he often returns as he loves it there?? People, let's honestly not forget about that...it is Much, much more possible than you may think. Tampa needs a goalie badly too! It is extremely well known his wife runs their relationship too.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
Haha...that put a big ***** grin on my face. But you get a guarantee from Islanders to pick Hedman first (he is now rated first), Tampa has 2nd pick...do we not remember where ALL of Loungo's wife's family is?? Florida..and where he often returns as he loves it there?? People, let's honestly not forget about that...it is Much, much more possible than you may think. Tampa needs a goalie badly too! It is extremely well known his wife runs their relationship too.
Time will tell buddy. I think the Islanders will take Johnny T but who knows with Garth Snow at the helm.

It's fishing season man. Shouldn't you be focussed on finding boat loads of salmon and big slab halibut?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Welcome to next year land all you Nucks fans.

It sucks, but you will feel better in the comming days.

I still say ANY playoff action is a great time. The boys from the north should try it some time

Not sure why, but I dont ever recall having the same sort of hatred towards the Canucks. It must just be a Alberta thing. Same thing goes for the Lions and the Roughies. Go figure.

Those Hawks are going to give the Wings a rough ride.. Perhaps SC bound?

Use those crying towels but good tonight boys.. The sun will rise in 3 days.
Mine are washed and put away for another year.

Jamie
Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 PM

With Charles Wang as an owner, ANYTHING is possible. At one point in time he openly mused about signing a sumo wrestler.......

The Islanders are bleeding money right now, and Wang has been quoted in regards to regretting buying the team in the first place.

Tavaras will go number 1. He's been coasting along for the past 18+ months waiting for the bigs. He will get a serious eye-opening, and hopefully some skating lessons.

At this point in time, Hedman is the safer choice though, as Tavaras has seemed like the whole 'Next One' Lindros thing written all over again. Crazy hand-eye/hand skills though...........mind you, Robbie Schrempf can do some pretty good tricks too, and where is he now??

Don't fool yourselves, the #1 pick is very much available right now. Enough cash and the right sumo dude may just get it done!

Tree
Old 05-11-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post

Prepare to be surprised Goob. They are that good. It wasn't a fluke.

The Sedins will be back and Ohlund will not be that big of a loss. He's not as big of a part of the team as he used to be. This season he was very rarely put out in key situations. Mitchell, Bieksa, Edler and Salo were given the most important minutes.
Do not get me wrong I would love to see the Canucks do well, just like I would love to see the Oil and Flames do well. I am not sold yet on Kesler and Burrows. They both had great years but the points fell off in a big way through the playoffs. That to me is not a good sign. I could be wrong just my opinion. Getting rid of Luongo is insane!!! It is funny how 1 game can make a fan want to go that route. And people wonder why players say it is harder to play in Canada!!

Ohlund in my eyes is like your Smitty. just can not picture him anywhere else. He is a leader on the team and great in the community so he would be a big loss that way. While helping organize a function this year for Team Pacific (under 17) we approached the Flames, Oilers and Canucks to see if they could send a speaker for the players, parents and other guests. Jarome volunteered from Calgary, Sam Gagner from Edmonton and Ohlund from Vancouver. None of the Canucks Canadian players would make themselves available for the event. That is huge in my eyes and Vancouver needs him because of things like that.

Sedins would just flat out suck to loose for nothing! I am not their biggest fan but over the years they have grown on me. Bad thing is if you loose one you may as well loose the other!!

No matter what happens there they will still be a good team next year as long as Luongo stay's in the mix.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Do not get me wrong I would love to see the Canucks do well, just like I would love to see the Oil and Flames do well. I am not sold yet on Kesler and Burrows. They both had great years but the points fell off in a big way through the playoffs. That to me is not a good sign. I could be wrong just my opinion. Getting rid of Luongo is insane!!! It is funny how 1 game can make a fan want to go that route. And people wonder why players say it is harder to play in Canada!!

Ohlund in my eyes is like your Smitty. just can not picture him anywhere else. He is a leader on the team and great in the community ...

Sedins would just flat out suck to loose for nothing! I am not their biggest fan but over the years they have grown on me. Bad thing is if you loose one you may as well loose the other!!
Good points goob. I think Kesler and Burrows are the real deal but I'm pretty biased. They both shriveled up in the second round but I think that was just the pressure. This the first playoffs where they were a big part of the team. We'll see how they do next year.

You're right about Ohlund - he seems like a great guy. He and Linden are really good friends and you can tell that Trevor really rubbed off on him with all of the community involvement stuff. I just don't think they can afford him.

You're also right about the Sedins only being worthwhile together. Wherever they sign it will be together. I'm convinced it will be in Vancouver now that they've shown they can perform in the playoffs. Like you, i haven't been a huge fan of them in years past but they took a big step up my respect ladder this year.

I'm like you in that I'd love to see one of the western Canadian teams succeed. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 PM

Man...I have "come togetherrrr right now, over me" as all us sorry Canadians come together to mourn another year without stanley up here. lol Once I get all healed up H&F, I"m heading out and nailing some hali and feeder springs, the migratories will be running here in about 3 weeks around our parts.

Larry (blackpheasant), we can mourn together come July 21st on the boat...although I will get last laugh as the nucks went farther...but still mourn in sadness...until that first big spring hits lol

Chicago WILL go to the finals...this is because for the last 6 times the canucks have been in the playoofs, the team they lose to has gone to the finals...or something like that...its a ridiculously crazzy long time anyway...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
Larry (blackpheasant), we can mourn together come July 21st on the boat...although I will get last laugh as the nucks went farther...but still mourn in sadness...until that first big spring hits lol
Ha ha ...yep...there is nothing like a zinging reel to lift a guy from his sorrows, especially if it's a big old spring on the end of the line. Good luck with the healing and then with the salmon/hali season.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Wow what a blow out tonight...I felt bad for Luongo actually...ok I am over it now

Lets move on with life....

I think the reffing these playoffs has been brutal but it was really obvious tonight.....

Nucks got kind of hung out to dry on the penalties thats for sure...

Anybody excited for game 7 Pitts/Wsh game....
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post

I think the reffing these playoffs has been brutal but it was really obvious tonight.....

I thought the Vancouver game had great reffing!! One of the first times so far I have seen a ref just let them play for almost an entire game. Chicago had more penalties than Vancouver did but Chicago made them pay for theirs.

Game 7 Pitt vs Wash will be great (I hope). The series has lived up to everything so far and there will be no better way to end it than a game 7 with OT! Ovechkin and Crosby have been great!! Crosby has been scoring goals??? Ovechkin was even passing the puck tonight!!! I just hope Pitt wins so we can have a Pitt vs Chicago final!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
Ha ha ...yep...there is nothing like a zinging reel to lift a guy from his sorrows, especially if it's a big old spring on the end of the line. Good luck with the healing and then with the salmon/hali season.
Man I know that feeling you are talking about It lasts for about 3 minutes for me,then I look down at the rod and reel and say to myself...."Man I wish it was fall time"

Please no sexual jokes regarding the above statement ...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Man I know that feeling you are talking about It lasts for about 3 minutes for me,then I look down at the rod and reel and say to myself...."Man I wish it was fall time"
Roger that. I love cheering for the Canucks and I love fishing (for more than 3 minutes)...but hunting is in a league of it's own for me.

I agree with Goob that for the most part, the reffing was good, especially for the last couple games. There were definitely a couple missed calls and a couple phantom calls tonight but those went both ways throughout the series. It could have been a lot worse in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I thought the Vancouver game had great reffing!! One of the first times so far I have seen a ref just let them play for almost an entire game. Chicago had more penalties than Vancouver did but Chicago made them pay for theirs.

Game 7 Pitt vs Wash will be great (I hope). The series has lived up to everything so far and there will be no better way to end it than a game 7 with OT! Ovechkin and Crosby have been great!! Crosby has been scoring goals??? Ovechkin was even passing the puck tonight!!! I just hope Pitt wins so we can have a Pitt vs Chicago final!
The hits on Edler and Kesler should have been called...That Byfuglien dude try's carving out Luongos eyes and slashing his throat almost every other time he is in the crease. I don't want to rag on Ovechkin but every hit he does he is a foot off the ice and gets away with it ..
Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 AM

I just watched the Luongo post-game interview. Wow...pretty hard to be mad at a guy when he's that upset about his performance. I'm not much for grown men getting weepy but you have to respect how bad he feels and how much he wanted to win.

BB - you're right about the Ovechkin hits. There is a double standard there for sure.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
The hits on Edler and Kesler should have been called...That Byfuglien dude try's carving out Luongos eyes and slashing his throat almost every other time he is in the crease. I don't want to rag on Ovechkin but every hit he does he is a foot off the ice and gets away with it ..
Welcome to the NEW NHL BB!!! If you are a big name player that puts up points you can get away with whatever you want to do! Look at Cammaleri in round 1, anyone else that is a suspension. Ovechkin is one of the dirtiest super star players in the league. Apparently you can drop your gloves and clock a guy in the last 2 minutes, get tossed, assessed 17 minutes in penalties and then walk away owing $2500 and no suspension???????? Sometimes I get confused by this league. I guess that was not a head shot cause it was in his face!!!

The reason I have no problem with the reffing in tonights game was that they let it go both ways. Chicago had 5 penalties and Vancouver 4, they let them play the game. If they were calling it all against one team and not the other than I have a problem.

On another note after watching the high lights, props out to Luongo!! He stepped up and took the blame even though after seeing the high lights I do not think it is all on him. Maybe the Vancouver d-men should have settled down and just made the simple smart play with the puck. Their d-men can be charged with 4-5 of those goals as they failed to clear the puck.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Wow what a blow out tonight...I felt bad for Luongo actually...ok I am over it now

Lets move on with life....

I think the reffing these playoffs has been brutal but it was really obvious I don't know what I am talking about tonight.....

Fixed it for you BB. When my team didn't make the post season I blamed the fact we weren't good enough, when the Lames were eliminated it was only because they had injuries and finally when the Orca society gets booted it because the reffing was biased,one-sided and the NHL wanted a marketable young US based team in the Finals........
Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM

i chose the hawks and or the bruins to go all the way, not because i'm a fan but rather because they have came a long way from the crappy teams they were a few years ago. the washington/pittsburg serise is some damn fine entertainment. as far as the loss of the canadian teams goes, big deal, if they were as good as some makes them out to be they would have swept everyone they met.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Fixed it for you BB. When my team didn't make the post season I blamed the fact we are never good enough and lack the heart and soul to compete at this level.Many a night I have cried myself to sleep praying that #99 would lace the skates up so we could hoist Lord Stanley just once more. When the Lames were eliminated it was because they had injuries and I firmly believe they will win the cup next season and finally when the Orca society gets booted its because the reffing was biased,one-sided and that there was some tension in the Nucks lockeroom as rumours swirled about D and H sedin reportably caught in bed together locked in an intimate imbrace and the NHL wanted a marketable young US based team in the Finals........
So do you think the reffing was good last night??? I watched the highlights again at midnight last night and all the analysts were saying they thought it was one of the worst officiated games they had seen?

Ps..I might have fixed yours a bit as well
Old 05-12-2009, 04:29 PM

I think the reffing was consistent they let them play and called the most obvious things...the wah whaing over Loungo getting slashed in the face is so much BS A) hawks player was pushed over Betty Lou B) Hes wearing a mask get over it princess....he cries about things so much to the refs that hes lost any credibility with them.
Cue the trade Lou threads.....cuz hes UFA year after next...might as well get something out of him.
BTW nice bit of editing.....hope your truck tires don't lose air next time Im up there.....
Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 PM

3 game 7s coming up whoop whoop lol

Man i hope the ducks can beat the Wings..I am really starting to hate Detroit...

I loved seeing Scott N laying the fists to Datsyuk
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 PM

Man Hiller looked good again tonight! Both him and Varlomov are showing unreal composure for 2 young goalies in their first playoffs. Hope they can keep it up next year!!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
3 game 7s coming up whoop whoop lol

Man i hope the ducks can beat the Wings..I am really starting to hate Detroit...

I loved seeing Scott N laying the fists to Datsyuk
I too would love to see the Wings go out. Boston seems to have taken control of that series but I'm still hoping the Canes can pull it off. Pens in OT would be an ideal finish for me (and my playoff draft) but as long it's a close game then I'll be happy and that series will go down as one of the best in the last 20 years.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Looks like the Caps decided to play Canuck style hockey tonight
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 PM

GO HAWKS GO !
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 PM

After this playoff season, NO ONE will be able to argue against Crosby being not only the best player in the league, but likely the best player in nearly 20 years. The word you are looking for is CLUTCH.

Tree
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
After this playoff season, NO ONE will be able to argue against Crosby being not only the best player in the league, but likely the best player in nearly 20 years. The word you are looking for is CLUTCH.

Tree
Well said Tree!!! Ovechkin sure can score goals I will give him that but he is very one dimensional. I remember a young Steve Yzerman was very similar. Detroit did not become successful until Yzerman became a more rounded player. Pitt could be in tough for the East finals however! Need more of what they showed tonight, lots of support!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Tree hate to disagree with you but 20 years ago there was a player named Lemieux. Think he was a wee bit better than Crosby is now. Think in 1988/89 Lemieux had 199 points. Was the year of one the greatest travesties in hockey history darn near. He never won the Hart trophy, Gretzky did in his first year in LA. Sad commentary on the clowns who voted that year. I stand to be corrected as I am going by memory here and with old age it has slipped somewhat.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Tree hate to disagree with you but 20 years ago there was a player named Lemieux. Think he was a wee bit better than Crosby is now. Think in 1988/89 Lemieux had 199 points. Was the year of one the greatest travesties in hockey history darn near. He never won the Hart trophy, Gretzky did in his first year in LA. Sad commentary on the clowns who voted that year. I stand to be corrected as I am going by memory here and with old age it has slipped somewhat.
Yea I have to go with Ole dad on this one.And in doing soon life will be so much easier and rewarding for me

Crosby hasn't won or proved anything yet in my mind....
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 PM

John, if you were to put Crosby's heart into Lemieux, Gretzky would not have a single record in the book.

Great players create greater players. Numbers mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

Do you think that the PGA would be where it is today without players emulating Tiger?

Do you think that there would be a Nadal without a Federor, or a Federor without a Sampras or a Sampras without a McEnroe?

Do you think that there woud be a Jimmie Johnstone without a Jeff Gordon, or a Jeff Gordon without a Dale Earnhart or an Earnhart without a Petty?

Do you think that there would be a Lebron James without a Kobe, a Kobe without a Shaq, a Shaq without a Magic, a Magic without a Bird, a Bird without a Bill Russel?

Do you think that there would be MLB without 'roids? (Couldn't resist)

The fact is, Mario never changed the sport. Ovechkin will not change the sport. He is a one dimensional shooter ala Brett Hull. My kid is in Novice and all the kids are trying to emulate the 'Crosby' style moves, and at the age of 7, some of them actually CAN! It's amazing.

Crosby, at the age of 21, not only will change the game, but IS changing the game at the grassroots level (Goober will attest).

Look into the kid's eyes during the game, and tell me that you do not see the perfect mix of Gretzky, Stevens, Messier and Yzerman. This is a special athelete, who is changing our game for the better. We all owe him a debt, and will for years to come.

Tree