Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
McDavid is a stud of a hockey player, I'm on the side that you can't compare eras but his history and contribution to himself, to the team and to the game is yet to be written. I'm glad I got to watch him as many times as I did with this new alignment due to covid. In the end its a team game and I'm sure some adjustments will be made to by Holland to build a supporting cast around...........this coming from a Jets fan.
There was a lot of talk on an oilers forum I follow about who the oilers would play in the first round. Many fans were happy to see a winnipeg/edmonton matchup rather than a habs/edmonton, I'm guessing due to the jets losing streak at the end of the season. I didn't like it, jets have been a solid team for quite some time...
I hope they go deep in the playoffs!...and this coming from an oilers fan
Old 05-26-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
There was a lot of talk on an oilers forum I follow about who the oilers would play in the first round. Many fans were happy to see a winnipeg/edmonton matchup rather than a habs/edmonton, I'm guessing due to the jets losing streak at the end of the season. I didn't like it, jets have been a solid team for quite some time...
Yep, on the Jets bandwagon now. Awesome club ...
Old 05-26-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
In Crosby’s first 6 yrs. of his career he won a Stanley cup with a mediocre team. He also won the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, the Art Ross Trophy, the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy, the Ted Lindsey Award, and the Hart Memorial Trophy that’s a pretty impressive resume for his first 6 yrs in the league. He has since won a couple of Con Smythe Trophies as well as the other mentioned awards a few more times.
Mediocre team? Like the Islanders are a mediocre team but just took your boys club out? First place to first round exit. Hard to believe Syd couldn't do it all on his own like ppl expect McDavid to.

Crosby (entire career) - 3 Ted Lindsay Awards , 2 Hart Memorial, 2 Art Ross, 2 Maurice Richard

McDavid (in 5 years) - 2 Ted Lindsay Awards, 1 Hart Memorial, 3 Art Ross,

*add another Art Ross and unless hockey is blind, one Hart + one Lindsay for this past season and they're tied for individual awards. McDavid will only keep adding to his totals. Crosby's done.

*unlikely McDavid ever wins a Richard. Not his game and doesn't matter anyways. The most significant individual award is the Lindsay and McDavid will be tied with Crosby for those in just 6 years.

Last edited by 270person; 05-26-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Hah, he's past his prime, will be lucky if he ever wins a playoff series in his career with the Oilers.

Smoking the fibreglass drapes again huh?

He already did win a series. When you have no idea of the facts there's always Google bud.

How many cups did our man Iggy win in the 5 years the Flames managed to qualify for the playoffs during his 16 years there? Couldn't even will his team into the playoffs for 11 of those 16 years? Bum?

Last edited by 270person; 05-26-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Yep, on the Jets bandwagon now. Awesome club ...

x3. If they knock out the Leafs it will be incredibly satisfying. Anybody but the Leafs and Habs.

This from a Blackhawks fan.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:22 AM

Quote:
I agree, didn't like that matchup when it was just a possibility. They have been a solid club for a few years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Smoking the fibreglass drapes again huh?

He already did win a series. When you have no idea of the facts there's always Google bud.

How many cups did our man Iggy win in the 5 years the Flames managed to qualify for the playoffs during his 16 years there? Couldn't even will his team into the playoffs for 11 of those 16 years? Bum?
Old 05-27-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Mediocre team? Like the Islanders are a mediocre team but just took your boys club out? First place to first round exit. Hard to believe Syd couldn't do it all on his own like ppl expect McDavid to.

Crosby (entire career) - 3 Ted Lindsay Awards , 2 Hart Memorial, 2 Art Ross, 2 Maurice Richard

McDavid (in 5 years) - 2 Ted Lindsay Awards, 1 Hart Memorial, 3 Art Ross,

*add another Art Ross and unless hockey is blind, one Hart + one Lindsay for this past season and they're tied for individual awards. McDavid will only keep adding to his totals. Crosby's done.

*unlikely McDavid ever wins a Richard. Not his game and doesn't matter anyways. The most significant individual award is the Lindsay and McDavid will be tied with Crosby for those in just 6 years.
Hey spanky you forgot a few other awards that Crosby has won. 1 Mark Messier NHL Leadership award (this is a pretty good award to have on your resume), 2 Con Smythe awards ( these aren’t too shabby to have on the resume either), and the most important ones 3 Stanley Cups. Look up the 08-09 Penguins Stanley Cup roster and tell me who stands out on that team this was within Crosby’s first 6 yrs of playing. The 2 stand outs on the team were Crosby and Malkin.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Hey spanky you forgot a few other awards that Crosby has won. 1 Mark Messier NHL Leadership award (this is a pretty good award to have on your resume), 2 Con Smythe awards ( these aren’t too shabby to have on the resume either), and the most important ones 3 Stanley Cups. Look up the 08-09 Penguins Stanley Cup roster and tell me who stands out on that team this was within Crosby’s first 6 yrs of playing. The 2 stand outs on the team were Crosby and Malkin.
I’m totally on your side in this argument but the Pens had a standout goalie in Fleury. The Oil are in goalie hell right now with nobody on the horizon. Going to be interesting....
Old 05-27-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If you don't like the run and pass aspect of the CFL, what exactly makes the NFL appealing?
It’s a much more exciting run, run, run, then punt game. Placed on a tiny field where players are fed oxygen and can run out a 4th quarter with the absurdly long 40 second play clock.

Exciting!!!
Old 05-27-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Ya I laughed ever time the Jets were called the underdogs the Playoffs are a new season and the regular seasons win/lose record doesn't mean much.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:

What part of what I said here did you not understand Stevie? He'll have more individual awards hands down barring career ending injury. Its already pretty close. Cups and Conn Smythes will depend on what his GM does to help the team make the finals.

In your effort to discredit McDavid at any cost you completely ignore that the player was drafted by a crap team, Crosby wasn't, is 24 currently so not even in his prime with lots of career left, Crosby done, etc etc. Pretty hard to "soar with eagles when...." yes?

Team game too Sparkie. Playoff success = TEAM. If this wasn't true maybe Iginla would have won just 1 cup.

How'd Sydney fare in this year's playoffs skating for the top team in the East Div. this year? Hint. 6 games 2 points so, More games. Better team. Fewer points. Out. Yawn.

You want to compare an entire career to a guy who's 6 years in? That's fair huh? 6 years in with an anticipated equal amount of individual awards as a full career. Yep. McDavids a bum.

I know it's tough for you but sit back and enjoy the best player that's come along since Gretzky and Lemieux, and if he'd played in their goal scoring era, on their teams, would be right with or ahead. Next 7-8 years should be fun.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:35 AM
Banned

The only thing holding McDavid back is the inability of teammates to keep up. That is not a dis on the oilers lineup. It wouldn’t matter what team McDavid would be on. There is no player in the league that can match Connor. There are other great players who n the league, but not with McDavid’s speed and talent.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
The only thing holding McDavid back is the inability of teammates to keep up. That is not a dis on the oilers lineup. It wouldn’t matter what team McDavid would be on. There is no player in the league that can match Connor. There are other great players who n the league, but not with McDavid’s speed and talent.
Oddly, I agree. Just imagine if he scored on 33% of his breakaways and wasn’t being hooked from all angles.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
I've often heard that anyone can score if they're playing with McD. Been proven time and again not many are up to the task. It's a challenge finding someone who can. Then there's Leon...the guy is an elite talent in this league. And there are some that suggest he should be traded lololol. 31 GM's would laugh at the suggestion if he were on their team
Old 05-27-2021, 10:32 PM

Surprised at how much attention some put on these players individual awards. Must be just me but I don’t give a rip about them. Team sport, so I get the Olympic Golds, Stanley cup recognition, but the Hart and so on, good for them I guess, but it’s about teamwork. Just met 2cents
Old 05-27-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Surprised at how much attention some put on these players individual awards. Must be just me but I don’t give a rip about them. Team sport, so I get the Olympic Golds, Stanley cup recognition, but the Hart and so on, good for them I guess, but it’s about teamwork. Just met 2cents
The whole jist of the last 2 pages was that Mcdavid is unable to lead teams to to go deep in the playoffs. When in fact he most likely can but not all teams are created equal.
For great team work to occur, one must first have great teammates.
You are right about teamwork.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:41 PM

This is the best time of year for hockey fans.
Some excellent playoff hockey being played.
As teams bow out, it's lots of fun to speculate which players will be re-signed, which will be left without a contract and who gets traded.

Of Nugent-Hopkins, Larssen and Barrie, I suspect that only one of them will be back.

Would love to be a fly on the wall as Oilers' management discusses Mike Smith.
Do they re-sign the goalie who dragged the team into the playoffs or do they figure that it's time to put him out to pasture and start looking for next years starter?
Old 05-27-2021, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not much point in continuing this conversation when you just dont know enough about the game. THE Man, Gretzky himself, used to grind teammates all the time. Messier grabbed Klima by the throat and held him off the floor against a dressing room wall between periods of a playoff game. Players quite often fight during practise. Just because you've never seen it happen on tv before doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but like I said prior, you just Don't.

Seriously doubt you ever even played the game outside of a backyard rink judging by some of your comments. Happens all the time but nice try with the Edmonton exclusive.
That's right, not much use talking to you about it. You can't seem to see the difference between dressing down team mates in public and dealing with issues in the dressing room or at practice.

No point in continuing the conversation because you've proven you don't have a hot clue what the difference is, but you could regal us all with your great personal experiences in professional hockey which I'm sure amounts to diddly squat. Do tell though.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
That's right, not much use talking to you about it. You can't seem to see the difference between dressing down team mates in public and dealing with issues in the dressing room or at practice.

No point in continuing the conversation because you've proven you don't have a hot clue what the difference is, but you could regal us all with your great personal experiences in professional hockey which I'm sure amounts to diddly squat. Do tell though.

Iginla. Cups?

And, infinitely more than you friend. Back to Calgary Puck. Much better fit for you.

Last edited by 270person; 05-28-2021 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
This is the best time of year for hockey fans.
Some excellent playoff hockey being played.
As teams bow out, it's lots of fun to speculate which players will be re-signed, which will be left without a contract and who gets traded.

Of Nugent-Hopkins, Larssen and Barrie, I suspect that only one of them will be back.

Would love to be a fly on the wall as Oilers' management discusses Mike Smith.
Do they re-sign the goalie who dragged the team into the playoffs or do they figure that it's time to put him out to pasture and start looking for next years starter?

Larsson for sure. Maybe a longer term at less coin than current. RNH needs to lower his demand by a lot. I'd be really surprised if Barrie re-upped and doubt they even have him in the plan. Bouchard can take the pp mins.

Betting Smith gets an offer to be the #2 and they go hard at a younger guy. Florida can't afford the 3 they have and want Knight in the mix next year. Bob's contract is untradeable.

2 LW's are the get. Hopkins could be one but he'll have to take a haircut.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Iginla. Cups?

And, infinitely more than you friend. Back to Calgary Puck. Much better fit for you.
Yeah, he's got as many as McJesus, whatever that has to do with anything. Do tell. Stellar response though. Basically tells everybody you got nothing. Defect is a common tactic.

Oh, the "more than you" response.

Keep it up though, You post count tells us you virtually never get out of your mom's basement.

But since you brought up Iginla's name, McJesus could learn a lot of what it means to be a team captain from his example. As it stands today Connor couldn't carry his cup on that topic, and I don't mean the Stanley one. Care to dispute that from your vast experience in professional hockey? ( Again zip as I stated before).

Last edited by YYC338; 05-28-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:40 AM

I been wondering all week as I watch the Toronto Montreal series carry on and catch some of the US games is why did they need to play that back to back game makes no since to me.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
I been wondering all week as I watch the Toronto Montreal series carry on and catch some of the US games is why did they need to play that back to back game makes no since to me.
That was scheduled at McJesus’ request as he wanted the series over so he wouldn’t miss his Friday morning tee time.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Superbowl doesn't even rank in the top 4 of hardest pro team sports championships to win according to pretty much every sports link doing the ranking. 3 games over a 4 week period? Woooo.

Hockey. Basketball. Soccer. Those are the choices. Some include baseball but I sure wouldn't.
I know you like to think you are an expert, especially hockey, why are you not working in the Oiler's head office. With you at the helm I am sure they are Stanley Cup bound. Again the fact remains if you lose a game you are done. You can totally sh!t to bed during a playoff hockey game and still carry on.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Iginla. Cups?

Well let's have it. You seem to be a self proclaimed expert. Give us some background on your professional hockey resume. Oh and Bantam AA doesn't count.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
That was scheduled at McJesus’ request as he wanted the series over so he wouldn’t miss his Friday morning tee time.
I think the McJesus name can now be replaced with Mcturnover
Old 05-28-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Yes, he caused the game tying goal in game 3, the game winning goal in game 4!!!
Old 05-28-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Wonder what his turnovers to takeaways ratio is......being number 1 in the league at takeaways I’m sure the experts will take the guy that takes the puck away 10 times for every one time he gives it away......who knows, that might even result in 100 points for every 53 games played......
Old 05-28-2021, 11:33 AM

lol

Guys... ease up... YYCdeadmoose is rather frothy

Were gettin 'both barrels' from him/them
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-28-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
lol

Guys... ease up... YYCdeadmoose is rather frothy

Were gettin 'both barrels' from him/them
I can't understand why all the hate for McDavid or is it disguised to throw some shade on the posters. Connor McDavid stood up for Ethan Bear when some Oilers fans decided to use and blame his race for why the Oilers lost. Thats a leader in my eyes..........

Or do certain Oilers/Flames fans detest each other that much.