Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
A big tom taking a horse per day? Let's take a closer look at this statement.

In an earlier post, you stated a wild horse weighs 8-900 lbs with 1000 lbs being the upper end. If a big tom eats only the meat of an 800 lb horse, how much meat would that be? Taking account the weight of the bones, the hide, the hooves and everything else the cat won't eat, there must be a fair chunk of meat left. How much exactly? Would it be reasonable to believe an 800 lb horse would have at least 200 lbs of meat on it?

Now, I'll admit I don't know alot about cougars, and I've killed only one, but I've heard more experienced hunters talk about the weight of a tom cougar. It would be pretty safe to say that a BIG tom might hit the 200 lb mark.

So, according to what you have personally observed riding around in the hills all these years, is that a big 200 lb tom will consume 200 lbs of horse meat every day. Seems abit much. Especially considering a male african lion weighs on average 350-400 lbs and consumes on average only 15 lbs of meat per day. Something just isn't adding up right.

Bobby B.
I wouldnt say he is consuming that amount a day ,, but we have found fresh kills on the 6 days we were there and visually seen him take 2 down ,, same cat,, I have seen this tom on many other occasions as well,, when My buddy opened his guiding territory there, they specifacally went after the tom,, 6 weeks and they finally got him,, he was over 200+ and 8ft 8 in length, After wildlife officialls were done with their research of it,,its diet was strictly horse meat. After watching this cat kill the 2 horse it looked to me for just sport not sustanence. I am not sure its all that common according to the bioligists that took the data from the Tom, he said its possible to be 1 and 700 with this behavior, I thought this was interesting. so i asked him about if there were any other reports of this in this area? he knew of 6 other cases,, with in the 200 mile area. So maybe there is some valitity to his claims.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
How does it matter whether horses came to North America on Viking Longboats or Spanish galleons?

The fact is they were brought here by Europeans, they are here and we who like them here are not going to change our mind because somebody can "prove" that they actually got here on a Japanese Dragon Boat or hitched a ride across the Bering Strait on a Wooly Mammoth.
im with rocky on this,the wild horse as we know it has a history in the west ,longer than our own.so unless some 500yr old spanish guy chimes up, those be wild horses.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 PM

Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrider2011 View Post
I wouldnt say he is consuming that amount a day ,, but we have found fresh kills on the 6 days we were there and visually seen him take 2 down ,, same cat,, I have seen this tom on many other occasions as well,, when My buddy opened his guiding territory there, they specifacally went after the tom,, 6 weeks and they finally got him,, he was over 200+ and 8ft 8 in length, After wildlife officialls were done with their research of it,,its diet was strictly horse meat. After watching this cat kill the 2 horse it looked to me for just sport not sustanence. I am not sure its all that common according to the bioligists that took the data from the Tom, he said its possible to be 1 and 700 with this behavior, I thought this was interesting. so i asked him about if there were any other reports of this in this area? he knew of 6 other cases,, with in the 200 mile area. So maybe there is some valitity to his claims.
I had a cougar worry our horses for a while, it had a go twice in 3months.my horses were pretty bush, so the cougar got a good kiking with the help of my old jack russell .the dog got a few stitches for his trouble (9).once the cat took a few shots over the bow he never came back in the 5 years I lived backing on to crown.I truly believe cats will kill for sport but not a full grown horse.that would be one exceptional cat.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
so unless some 500yr old spanish guy chimes up, those be wild horses.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

I can't believe this one is still going. How many members have been sent to banned camp yet?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
good riddance.

As others have stated. There are no wild horses in Alberta, only FERAL horses.
100%
issue a free horse license for bait with every a bear tag .
too bad we couldnt introduce these 600 'wild' horses to the 600 or so grizzlies and solve two problems at once.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31

Last edited by roger; 02-10-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
How does it matter whether horses came to North America on Viking Longboats or Spanish galleons?

The fact is they were brought here by Europeans, they are here and we who like them here are not going to change our mind because somebody can "prove" that they actually got here on a Japanese Dragon Boat or hitched a ride across the Bering Strait on a Wooly Mammoth.
Are you making a point or simply expressing yourself?

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
That's pretty amazing. So many live in cat country without ever seeing a cat and you witness, firsthand, in 6 days, the same cat take down 2 horses in 6 days. I'm not saying you're full of shiit, but your stories sure as hell are. When's the last time you saw Elvis? BTW, did this tom have fiery red eyes? OMG. You've spent too much time in thee olde saddle. Now it's one tom killing 2 horses in 6 days whereas your story was a big tom killing one horse every day. Yeeeehaaaah Ride'm brother!

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
That's pretty amazing. So many live in cat country without ever seeing a cat and you witness, firsthand, in 6 days, the same cat take down 2 horses in 6 days. I'm not saying you're full of shiit, but your stories sure as hell are. When's the last time you saw Elvis? BTW, did this tom have fiery red eyes? OMG. You've spent too much time in thee olde saddle. Now it's one tom killing 2 horses in 6 days whereas your story was a big tom killing one horse every day. Yeeeehaaaah Ride'm brother!

Bobby B.
You sir are a complete moron, Go back to playing with your barbies
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Bobby B.
See Bobby; It is not that hard to live in a fantasy and make-believe world. All a guy has to do is try a little bit.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You sir are a complete moron, Go back to playing with your barbies
What? When the fairy tales run out, you resort to name calling? I pretty much had you pegged as a self-important hillybilly when you first started your nonsense. You just sealed the deal.

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
What? When the fairy tales run out, you resort to name calling? I pretty much had you pegged as a self-important hillybilly when you first started your nonsense. You just sealed the deal.

Bobby B.
You're making a fool of yourself.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Really? Do tell how. So now you resort to name calling as well? When are you and Sunset jumping in the hottub together?

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
nope he is not, just calling sunset out on his BS. right from the start of this thread, darn near everything he has tried to pass of as fact has been proven pure BS. Others like the cougar killing a horse a day cannot be proven BS, but anyone with a shred of common sense knows what it really is.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Bobby B.
If I wanted to respond to your foolishness i would ,but i dont have the care or want to play with absent minded fools,, that think they are keyboard warriors, that or so overloaded with experience that they couldnt wipe their own Butt. This thread has run its course with more moronic attitudes,, than useful misconception of wanten ignorance. Some have been helpful and brought forth useful information that is pertanent to the issue, others thrive on derailing it,, is the nature of the beast on AO, from what ive seen lately. Too many keyboard warriors with nothing better to do, than be counter productive.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned

Cool

come on now guys this has managed to stay a good thread.lets not start throwing mud.what are we talking abought, the wildes out west, not abought hiw many acougar kills in a week .we can all agree cougars will prey on horses.how many they kill is open to debate.lets suffice to say they are not a large enough threat to slow down the growth of the WILD herds out west.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
If I wanted to respond to your foolishness i would ,but i dont have the care or want to play with absent minded fools,, that think they are keyboard warriors, that or so overloaded with experience that they couldnt wipe their own Butt. This thread has run its course with more moronic attitudes,, than useful misconception of wanten ignorance. Some have been helpful and brought forth useful information that is pertanent to the issue, others thrive on derailing it,, is the nature of the beast on AO, from what ive seen lately. Too many keyboard warriors with nothing better to do, than be counter productive.
Incompetent pantywaist. There, feel better? Someday you might want to give up riding sidesaddle. When you've grown up, and want to discuss facts rather than resort to name calling, please enlighten me where I've errored. If you want to be taken seriously, lighten up on your campfire tales and sharpen your literacy skills there buckwheat. Dictionaries are readily available and grade school is free.

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Are you making a point or simply expressing yourself?

Bobby B.
I thought it was obvious - both.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Incompetent pantywaist. There, feel better? Someday you might want to give up riding sidesaddle. When you've grown up, and want to discuss facts rather than resort to name calling, please enlighten me where I've errored. If you want to be taken seriously, lighten up on your campfire tales and sharpen your literacy skills there buckwheat. Dictionaries are readily available and grade school is free.

Bobby B.

That's pretty rich for Mr. Great White Hunter with enough inherited money to go to Africa, shoot something that's penned up and play pretend. Like most who have what they didn't earn, you're rude.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
That's pretty rich for Mr. Great White Hunter with enough inherited money to go to Africa, shoot something that's penned up and play pretend. Like most who have what they didn't earn, you're rude.
that explains the shorts and t-shirt on a white guy in africa.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
that explains the shorts and t-shirt on a white guy in africa.
And probably the silver spoon in his mouth,, explains the shelby too., I imagine, Wouldn`t know a lick of hard work if it reached out and slapped him stupid.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Tell me you're kidding. Just so you don't prove to be the imbecile you're demonstrating to be, whose money did I inherit? What did I shoot that was penned up? What am I pretending? You start with name calling then commence with assassinating my character and I'm rude? Wow! Tell me, did you marry your sister or your mother, or do you know the difference? Wait, maybe it was your brother.

Just as I knew Sunset for what he was, I have a hunch of what you are. Less than average in every way but very resentful about it because even you have been able to recognize how short changed you are.

If you can, please answer the questions. If you require guidance to accurately understand them, let me know and I will provide you the necessary hints and clues. I don't want you to feel bewildered and thus compromise your response. This shouldn't be a test. Relax and do your best. Take your time.

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Does your computer read this stuff back to you? cause it seems to me you like to hear yourself talk. I think this is a bit of a case, of the pot calling the kettle black!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 PM

You other two brilliant researchers can assist Rocky if you choose. Remember, do answer the questions. Please accept my indiscretions if I think of you as the Three Stooges.

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
And probably the silver spoon in his mouth,, explains the shelby too., I imagine, Wouldn`t know a lick of hard work if it reached out and slapped him stupid.
You must have worked real hard to be slapped as stupid as you present yourself to be.

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I thought it was obvious - both.
So, what was the point? Do explain.

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 PM

To the Three Stooges,

Sleep well tonight. Tomorrow is another new day. Try not to be bitter and envious towards those who have surpassed you. Try to clarify what jumbled thoughts you possess. Be the best you can be. And, poop in the potty.

Bobby B.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Such an important subject in Alberta yet grown adults cant debate it without Hurling personal insults and using foul language.

Thread Closed and infractions on the way..
Closed Thread