Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm calling it, the Oilers aren't jumping four teams and making up 7 pts with 9 games to go (especially when that schedules includes Vegas twice, Columbus, Calgary, and San Jose).

It's going to be a big off season. Hope they get the GM right.

Good luck next year guys!

Flames are 9-6-0 in the last 15 games but only 3 of the 9 wins were against playoff teams. During that same stretch the Flames played 6 games against western opponents and only won 1; 6-3 against Vegas.

So go spread your exceptional hockey wisdom on your Flames thread as there is no hope for the lowly Oilers
Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 AM

Yet it seemed like there was hope when they had to go 12-0 and their chances of making it were less than 5%.

Maybe its because I'm a Flames fan.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:00 AM

Like I said, good luck next year.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Yet it seemed like there was hope when they had to go 12-0 and their chances of making it were less than 5%.

Maybe its because I'm a Flames fan.
I can understand you being easily confused, but it is because you posted this....

I'm calling it, the Oilers aren't jumping four teams and making up 7 pts with 9 games to go (especially when that schedules includes Vegas twice, Columbus, Calgary, and San Jose).

I can also understand you are a little upset right now after your reality check last night playing a playoff contender. Seeing how it is going to be when the big heavy teams are leaning on ya. And the Jet were missing 2 of their top 4 d-man, 1 being big Buff. But I am sure Thachuk will handle handle Buff like he did Kassian, so no issue.

We had a good win last night, so take a hike and let us enjoy it a little bit

Last edited by brendan's dad; 03-17-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I caan understand you being easily confused, but it is because you posted this....

I can also understand you are a little upset right now after your reality check last night playing a playoff contender. Seeing how it is going to be when the big heavy teams are leaning on ya. And the Jet were missing 2 of their top 4 d-man, 1 being big Buff. But I am sure Thachuk will handle handle Buff like he did Kassian, so no issue.

We had a good win last night, so take a hike and let us enjoy it a little bit
Am I in Bizaro world? I could have swore this is a Oilers thread? The only one bringing up the Flames is you... Very confusing here. Trochu never once brought up Albertas favourite and number one (With a BULLET) team. YOU DID. Why are you so obsessed with the Flames? Is it jealousy that Calgary has such a fine organization and you are embarrassed by the team you support? (These are not accusations, just simple questions) I don't understand what your thought process is.

Why does it always always always have to be about the Flames and their magnificent franchise?

Back to the oilers.. Why are you guys cheering for wins here? Shouldn't you be praying to fall further in the standings so that better draft pick is available? As a final note, no way the oilers have a reasonable chance at the playoffs. Its like they are pulling a Bandaid made of duct tape off your private parts one hair at a a time. Jesus, just yank it!!! (The tape that is).

I feel for all you loyal fans. Its been a very very long time and this year started off with such hope and optimism. My god, you have the best player in the world along with a extremely highly respected coach and you have such a storied franchise that knows a thing or two about winning. They just keep teasing you.

Last edited by Jamie; 03-17-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:17 AM

I heard on the radio they declared the Lottery Draft Day a civic holiday
Old 03-17-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Am I in Bizaro world? I could have swore this is a Oilers thread? The only one bringing up the Flames is you... Very confusing here. Trochu never once brought up Albertas favourite and number one (With a BULLET) team. YOU DID. Why are you so obsessed with the Flames? Is it jealousy that Calgary has such a fine organization and you are embarrassed by the team you support? (These are not accusations, just simple questions) I don't understand what your thought process is.

Why does it always always always have to be about the Flames and their magnificent franchise?

Back to the oilers.. Why are you guys cheering for wins here? Shouldn't you be praying to fall further in the standings so that better draft pick is available? As a final note, no way the oilers have a reasonable chance at the playoffs. Its like they are pulling a Bandaid made of duct tape off your private parts one hair at a a time. Jesus, just yank it!!! (The tape that is).

I feel for all you loyal fans. Its been a very very long time and this year started off with such hope and optimism. My god, you have the best player in the world along with a extremely highly respected coach and you have such a storied franchise that knows a thing or two about winning. They just keep teasing you.
Yeah that is exactly what a fan should do... you do live in Bizaro world. Go worry about your own team.... you got enough problems coming your way shortly. Don`t need a`high and mighty`Flames fans on here telling us to give up.

Take a hike with your buddy Trochu and enjoy the outdoors.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah that is exactly what a fan should do... you do live in Bizaro world. Go worry about your own team.... you got enough problems coming your way shortly. Don`t need a`high and mighty`Flames fans on here telling us to give up.

Take a hike with your buddy Trochu and enjoy the outdoors.
Just a hockey fan along with being a Flames fan. Such anger BD.. Have you had breakfast yet?

So, when is the point that YOU call it? What game do they have to lose in order for you to see what the rest of the world sees? When is enough enough for you? For me it was 2 games ago (And yes, I was cheering for you guys to make it) It just seemed that if they couldn't beet the Devils (I believe you called them a AHL team) , how on earth were they going to climb 4 teams and a chunk of points.

So, I ask again when is it ok to think the Oil are done like dinner for this season?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM

The fan base keeps chasing the imaginary carrot and keeps buying seats, jerseys and popcorn. Until Katz addresses the fan base with an apology for a sub par management team and on ice product and wipes out the management core and starts fresh, people shouldnt spend a dime. His group lobbied the city for a new arena and continues to put a garbage product on the ice and the worst trade decisions possible keep continuing. I have been an Oilers fan way back when Bruce Buchanan and Tim Spelliscy we’re broadcasting games on ITV. That was channel 8 in McMurray back then. Any Oilers fan that thinks last night win was a good win or enjoyable isn’t seeing the big picture. It was a win by McDavid. Arizona won all the races to the puck and were much faster. Koskinen the Oilers number one goalie (4.5 million per year say what lmao). got caught out of the net twice and got smoked twice but the post saved him. Sub par effort. Not by McDavid though. He was a stud as usual. Welcome to 3 playoff appearances in 17 years coming up. We are cheering for a joke team and an ultra embarrassing management group. Wake up.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Just a hockey fan along with being a Flames fan. Such anger BD.. Have you had breakfast yet?

So, when is the point that YOU call it? What game do they have to lose in order for you to see what the rest of the world sees? When is enough enough for you? For me it was 2 games ago (And yes, I was cheering for you guys to make it) It just seemed that if they couldn't beet the Devils (I believe you called them a AHL team) , how on earth were they going to climb 4 teams and a chunk of points.

So, I ask again when is it ok to think the Oil are done like dinner for this season?

You call yourself a hockey fan and then suggest we should cheer for a loss for a better draft pick. Not buying it. You are here to stir up ****.

Yes we know they need to win every game and have other teams lose key games. It is a long shot, a very long shot. But I will "call it" when they are eliminated.

Did you stop cheering when the Flames lost the first 3 games in round 1 of the 2016/17 playoffs?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Must be just Chapping Oiler fans Ace, waiting for Flames to drop in standings and it just isn't happening. Still in first, and yes lost last night but played well considering was second night of a back to back with travel that put them in the hotel at like 3am. All good can't win them all..
Why aren't you all talking about VGN game tonight?? Stop worrying about the Flames man.
Should be more concerned on how to keep Connor interested in staying, if things don't improve soon, and he want's to go to a contender. How much longer you think he will be satisfied with wasting his prime years there??
Awesome he joined some top company with his 3rd straight 100 point season, but when he keeps golfing every spring, while the real hockey starts being played, I can see him wanting OUT.. That would be my concern, not a team you Don't Care About.
Good luck against VGN tonight, they are a fun team to watch, very solid in all areas.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Will say I like the way Draisaitl worked out this season for you guys though, I was pretty hard on him in here earlier in the season, and wasn't sold. He did well, you got two great pieces to work around now just need management to build smart, which is a the struggle up there it seems. New GM coming, just hope they get the right guy. Need a BOA again, we almost had it then poof went away.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
You call yourself a hockey fan and then suggest we should cheer for a loss for a better draft pick. Not buying it.
In the modern era there is a time and place for losing, if you can't see that....

Think the Oilers get McDavid by winning?

It's been said multiple times, you've got to build through the draft, is that more likely with low or high draft picks?

You want better players on the team/in the system, or a repeat of this year?

They can't make it this year, by winning they are actually lowering their chances of having a better team next year.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I can also understand you are a little upset right now after your reality check last night playing a playoff contender.
It's kinda funny, alot of the top teams are having a "reality check" right now.

-Calgary, 2nd in the league, 5-5 in their last 10;
-Boston, 3rd in the league, 1-3 in their last 4;
-San Jose, 4th in the league, two game losing streak;
-Toronto, 5th in the league, 5-5 in their last 10 and just got blown away by Ottawa;
-Islands, Winnipeg, Nashville, Columbus, and St. Louis, all at 5-5 or less in their last 10.

What exactly is the "reality check", all these teams are going to lose in the first round, Calgary, Boston, San Jose, Toronto, Nashville, Winnipeg are shaking in their skates because they've gone on a bit of a skid, Toronto is going to blow it up in the off season because they lost to Ottawa?

Here is the reality, we are in second in the league, first in the west, lost to a playoff team on a back-to-back while missing our 1st line center and playing our backup goalie. It happens.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
In the modern era there is a time and place for losing, if you can't see that....

Think the Oilers get McDavid by winning?

It's been said multiple times, you've got to build through the draft, is that more likely with low or high draft picks?

You want better players on the team/in the system, or a repeat of this year?

They can't make it this year, by winning they are actually lowering their chances of having a better team next year.
So you think they are going to intentionally throw games????????? You may think they don't have much pride at this point but I believe they have more pride and dignity that that.

We won last night, and hopefully going to try real hard to win tonight, and the next night and the next night and so on.....

What's not needed on this thread is a bunch of Flames fans and a jaded Oilers fan ruining our good mood this morning.

And the only time I mention the Flames on this thread and when a Flames fan comes on here trashing the Oilers.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
It's kinda funny, alot of the top teams are having a "reality check" right now.

-Calgary, 2nd in the league, 5-5 in their last 10;
-Boston, 3rd in the league, 1-3 in their last 4;
-San Jose, 4th in the league, two game losing streak;
-Toronto, 5th in the league, 5-5 in their last 10 and just got blown away by Ottawa;
-Islands, Winnipeg, Nashville, Columbus, and St. Louis, all at 5-5 or less in their last 10.

What exactly is the "reality check", all these teams are going to lose in the first round, Calgary, Boston, San Jose, Toronto, Nashville, Winnipeg are shaking in their skates because they've gone on a bit of a skid, Toronto is going to blow it up in the off season because they lost to Ottawa?

Here is the reality, we are in second in the league, first in the west, lost to a playoff team on a back-to-back while missing our 1st line center and playing our backup goalie. It happens.
So if Arizona goes 5-5 in there last 10 and the Oilers go 9-2, we are actually in the Wild Card spot. Should I stop cheering now?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:24 PM

BD is probably just sick of flames fans coming on to oilers thread to stir the pot.
He probably feels it’s high school mentality.
He probably feels that one thread is class and the other thread is trash.
He probably knows why one thread is trash.
He’s probably happy that the other thread remained class.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
You call yourself a hockey fan and then suggest we should cheer for a loss for a better draft pick. Not buying it. You are here to stir up ****.

Yes we know they need to win every game and have other teams lose key games. It is a long shot, a very long shot. But I will "call it" when they are eliminated.

Did you stop cheering when the Flames lost the first 3 games in round 1 of the 2016/17 playoffs?
Yes.. I was very busy sobbing and crying in my beer.

How is acknowledging reality "Stirring up ****"
How is wanting the dreaded and hated Oilers to be better "Stirring up ****"

I want nothing more than to beat you guys liked a rented mule in the playoffs. Unfortunately you have to have a decent team in order to make it that far. So yes, I want the Oilers to be better. Just good enough to make the playoffs and face us every year.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
So you think they are going to intentionally throw games?????????
You don't know how this is done yet Brendan, really?

Play Stolarz every game. Is he the backup for next year or are you looking elsewhere. Pretty tough to evaluate a guy based on three games isn't it? Play Malone, Gravel, Rattie, and Gambardella a ton, are they coming back? Stop playing McDavid and Draisatl 25+ minutes a game, at best you're going to lose and at worst they are going to win the game, lower your draft pick, and/or get hurt, why not bring up Tyler Benson and see what he can do?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You don't know how this is done yet Brendan, really?

Play Stolarz every game. Is he the backup for next year or are you looking elsewhere. Pretty tough to evaluate a guy based on three games isn't it? Play Malone, Gravel, Rattie, and Gambardella a ton, are they coming back? Stop playing McDavid and Draisatl 25+ minutes a game, at best you're going to lose and at worst they are going to win the game, lower your draft pick, and/or get hurt, why not bring up Tyler Benson and see what he can do?
That ain’t happening until there is technically zero chance to make playoffs. No team in the league would do that.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
So if Arizona goes 5-5 in there last 10 and the Oilers go 9-2, we are actually in the Wild Card spot. Should I stop cheering now?
Probably, yes.

Here is why:

-The Oilers aren't going 9-2 in their last 11. They've played 0.451 hockey all year, they aren't suddenly going to start playing 0.818; and,

-Arizona may go 5-5, who knows, but Arizona, Minnesota, Chicago, and Colorado likely won't.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Probably, yes.

Here is why:

-The Oilers aren't going 9-2 in their last 11. They've played 0.451 hockey all year, they aren't suddenly going to start playing 0.818; and,

-Arizona may go 5-5, who knows, but Arizona, Minnesota, Chicago, and Colorado likely won't.
What are the odds of a team coming back from a 2 or even 3 goal deficit in the third period? How many times was Calgary able to pull it off? Probably similar odds.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
That ain’t happening until there is technically zero chance to make playoffs. No team in the league would do that.
And that's what I'm saying, there is technically zero chance of them making it. That's why I "called it".
Old 03-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Really? So many teams threw in the towel at the trade deadline. As much as I think Ottawa is the worst franchise in the history of the NHL, they at least are trying something.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Really? So many teams threw in the towel at the trade deadline. As much as I think Ottawa is the worst franchise in the history of the NHL, they at least are trying something.
Ya, you could tell by last nights game they are after draft picks...
Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Ya, you could tell by last nights game they are after draft picks...
You could also tell by trading their best three players that they are going for it.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You could also tell by trading their best three players that they are going for it.
I get that. I saw that. Why are they not throwing games like that to ensure first overall?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I get that. I saw that. Why are they not throwing games like that to ensure first overall?
I'm not saying to throw the game, that would be silly. I'm saying you're not making the playoffs, stop killing your stars, and start evaluating some of your younger talent for next year as this is obviously a tricky thing to do in preseason (Rattie, I'm looking at you). If doing so helps get a better draft pick, so be it.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Probably, yes.

Here is why:

Oilers are 8-3-1 in the last 12 games. The OT loses was on shoot outs which is really a coin toss most nights.

It can be done.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying to throw the game, that would be silly. I'm saying you're not making the playoffs, stop killing your stars, and start evaluating some of your younger talent for next year as this is obviously a tricky thing to do in preseason (Rattie, I'm looking at you). If doing so helps get a better draft pick, so be it.
Your question was already answered.