Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Not entirely true. It is individuals such as yourself that bring out that characteristic. Arguing for a helmet law is hypocritical unless you argue for meal size restrictions in restaurants, among other pathetic causes.
I think the point is freedom and how much a law impacts an activity. If driving with a helmet ruins the ATV experience for you; well then I really do not know what you enjoy about ATVing.

With your example about meal restrictions; most people eat till they are full and bad food, tastes the best. If we impose a law for health and it ruins an experience well then it has gone too far.

If you can tell me how wearing a helmet will ruin ATVing Id love to hear it. If you want wind blowing in your hair, buy a blow dryer. Give me your top 3 reasons why it will ruin your ATVing experience. I do not want "well smoking is bad for you" or "I drive slow" or "dictatorship references" etc. Just 3 ways it ruins your ATVing experience. That is all.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Oh I got your point.

It even made a little bit of sense.

The thing is if you're going to control your own portion size my obesity isn't going to slam into you and give you heart disease.

You missed my point.
Maybe the drunk guy should face life in prison for endangering others. Hows a helmet stop a drunk from running you off the trail into a tree? And theres no guarantee that helmet saves your life. A helmet is a bandaid, id prefer we see a reduction in collisions.

IMO I think mandatory jail time for anyone caught drinking and driving or being under the influence of drugs on any off highway vehicle would do far more to reduce incidents then this stupid helmet law will. Enough coddling the losers, and lets help responsible people keep the choice on whether they need a helmet or not. You dont need a helmet doing 10-15km/h down a trail. Its a ridiculous law.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
I think the point is freedom and how much a law impacts an activity. If driving with a helmet ruins the ATV experience for you; well then I really do not know what you enjoy about ATVing.

With your example about meal restrictions; most people eat till they are full and bad food, tastes the best. If we impose a law for health and it ruins an experience well then it has gone too far.

If you can tell me how wearing a helmet will ruin ATVing Id love to hear it. If you want wind blowing in your hair, buy a blow dryer. Give me your top 3 reasons why it will ruin your ATVing experience. I do not want "well smoking is bad for you" or "I drive slow" or "dictatorship references" etc. Just 3 ways it ruins your ATVing experience. That is all.
The whole purpose of laws is to protect others, not yourself. Now the government is telling you how you must act. Its a VERY slippery slope when the government starts telling you how to think and act. Id be fine with speed limits for ATV's or an education course, both of which should reduce collisions and protect others.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:25 AM

I wont be wearing one the rest of you puppets can
Old 05-02-2017, 05:08 AM

"Let those who ride decide."

"Helmet laws suck."

That's all l have to say about that.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

I don't even own an ATV, FYI. I have in the past and hope to in the future. I always wear a helmet. But I will give three reasons why I disagree with the law.

1) If you need the government to tell you to how to be safe, you do not have common sense. After all, that is what safety is.

2) The law is grossly hypocritical, and a long ways down the slippery slope of a nanny state.

3) The exemptions prove that the government doesn't really care about safety. If they could exempt who they did, why can't they exempt hunters who are putting down a cut line at 15kmh?

I honestly cannot understand how you people actually support this law. I would expect you to support a menial fine for smoking too. After all, its to protect others right?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The whole purpose of laws is to protect others, not yourself. Now the government is telling you how you must act. Its a VERY slippery slope when the government starts telling you how to think and act. Id be fine with speed limits for ATV's or an education course, both of which should reduce collisions and protect others.
Did not answer the question.

Society is based on people acting within the same manner. Boycott society since it infringes on how you should act? Boycott pants?

laws protect yourself and others. How do seat belt laws protect others and not yourself?

I like how your ok with speed limit laws for atvs but not helmets. Ok with Government saying how fast you can go, but wearing a helmet, too much! I think speed limits infringe on atving way more than helmets. There is also a broad spectrum of riders

. That law would mean pro riders who ride atvs for speed and fun can no longer enjoy their hobby, but your 10-15km speed for hunting doesnt hurt you or infringe on your sport so thats ok
Old 05-02-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I don't even own an ATV, FYI. I have in the past and hope to in the future. I always wear a helmet. But I will give three reasons why I disagree with the law.

1) If you need the government to tell you to how to be safe, you do not have common sense. After all, that is what safety is.

2) The law is grossly hypocritical, and a long ways down the slippery slope of a nanny state.

3) The exemptions prove that the government doesn't really care about safety. If they could exempt who they did, why can't they exempt hunters who are putting down a cut line at 15kmh?

I honestly cannot understand how you people actually support this law. I would expect you to support a menial fine for smoking too. After all, its to protect others right?
Again not one of those points answered the question. Again a fine against smoking takes away the enjoyment of smoking. Helmet law takes away what from atving?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again not one of those points answered the question. Again a fine against smoking takes away the enjoyment of smoking. Helmet law takes away what from atving?
You didn't get my point.

We shouldn't need the government telling what to do. Whether it takes away from the enjoyment or not is beside the point.

Again, if the government wants us to be safe, why don't they force us to wear helmets while driving? It is a joke, and I am truly concerned for my children's freedoms, as so many of you happily flush them away.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
You didn't get my point.

We shouldn't need the government telling what to do. Whether it takes away from the enjoyment or not is beside the point.

Again, if the government wants us to be safe, why don't they force us to wear helmets while driving? It is a joke, and I am truly concerned for my children's freedoms, as so many of you happily flush them away.
Your right! The goverment don't need to tell us what to do. I hate it that I can't drive 100mph on the road. I hate it that I gotta stop at those stupid red signs. Why can't we be allowed to steal property from others? Stupid goverment is keeping me from my fun.!! Most laws the goverment makes are useless . Infringement on my personal freedoms. Let's everyone start making their own laws that suit their own lifestyles.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
You didn't get my point.

No I get it. The thing you enjoy most about atving is the CHOICE you have about wearing a helmet or not.

I assume you dont play sports or let your children play since the rules force you to wear a helmet; without that choice to put on a helmet or not I would assume it would take the joy out of the sport?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Your right! The goverment don't need to tell us what to do. I hate it that I can't drive 100mph on the road. I hate it that I gotta stop at those stupid red signs. Why can't we be allowed to steal property from others? Stupid goverment is keeping me from my fun.!! Most laws the goverment makes are useless . Infringement on my personal freedoms. Let's everyone start making their own laws that suit their own lifestyles.
So how would you feel if certain people were allowed to drive 100mph on our roads, and were allowed to ignore those red signs, and were allowed to steal your property, because of their race, their religion, or their occupation?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:04 AM

I'm guilty as charged.

I don't wear a pumpkin bucket when I'm idling along at 3 too 7 kpr in the bush, nor do I when I'm in 3rd gear on a oil field or logging road.

If I think I'm going too ramp up my speed, then on goes the ice-cream pale.

When I'm in BC on the unknown trails I wear one, but not going up or down on the main roads.

Forestry and substanuble resources has talked too me many times about this in BC where it's the law, but as I share in the passion of the great outdoors threw out our Americas it changes things.

All humans I encounter become friends as humans connect too our selves as I do too others.

In the end, we see what each of us are doing as I mozzy along with or without bucket in place.

There's no tickets if we show the human side of what we do and how we act.

The day will come that a ticket comes my way, but middle age slow folks that have good offers of human kin ship are always welcome.

Do what each of us choose as its how we perceive how things play out.

Don
Old 05-02-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Maybe the drunk guy should face life in prison for endangering others. Hows a helmet stop a drunk from running you off the trail into a tree? And theres no guarantee that helmet saves your life. A helmet is a bandaid, id prefer we see a reduction in collisions.

IMO I think mandatory jail time for anyone caught drinking and driving or being under the influence of drugs on any off highway vehicle would do far more to reduce incidents then this stupid helmet law will. Enough coddling the losers, and lets help responsible people keep the choice on whether they need a helmet or not. You dont need a helmet doing 10-15km/h down a trail. Its a ridiculous law.
Oh I agree with you about the drunk guy being punished.

I have to wonder what the percentage of riders doing 10-15kph is though. I'm betting it's low. You don't need big machines to go slow. You guys need to realize the law isn't aimed at you. It's aimed at some 17 year old kid on a 1000cc machine who doesn't know what he's doing.

If hunters were on the no helmet list would many of you be upset? Aside from the people who are mad for race or religious reasons.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default The point is

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Oh I got your point.

It even made a little bit of sense.

The thing is if you're going to control your own portion size my obesity isn't going to slam into you and give you heart disease.

You missed my point.
It's coming....regardless

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-02-2017, 07:10 AM
Banned

Some of you are pathetic, and just don't get it.

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet while ripping down trails is an idiot. Anyone who needs the government to tell them to wear a helmet is worse.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet while ripping down trails is an idiot. Anyone who needs the government to tell them to wear a helmet is worse.
Don't paint all with the same brush there eh!
Some just putt putt down a trail and pick berries etc...helmet required?
Point is it will effect all from rocket speeds to me the putt putt guy but it's all over now so I will place a bucket on the ol skull and carry on I just hope that the fines etc and loss of ride come into effect, take the cash and put it back into the environment, fish, game, conservation etc...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-02-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
I'm guilty as charged.

I don't wear a pumpkin bucket when I'm idling along at 3 too 7 kpr in the bush, nor do I when I'm in 3rd gear on a oil field or logging road.

If I think I'm going too ramp up my speed, then on goes the ice-cream pale.

When I'm in BC on the unknown trails I wear one, but not going up or down on the main roads.

Forestry and substanuble resources has talked too me many times about this in BC where it's the law, but as I share in the passion of the great outdoors threw out our Americas it changes things.

All humans I encounter become friends as humans connect too our selves as I do too others.

In the end, we see what each of us are doing as I mozzy along with or without bucket in place.

There's no tickets if we show the human side of what we do and how we act.

The day will come that a ticket comes my way, but middle age slow folks that have good offers of human kin ship are always welcome.

Do what each of us choose as its how we perceive how things play out.

Don
Driving an ATV 3-7 kph won't prevent loss of control. I have to share a very sad story. About five years ago my friend was operating her atv on her own property. She was checking her cattle. She wasn't one to drive fast or take chances. When she went up a hill at low speed the quad flipped over back wards and it landed on her causing a fatal head injuries. She left behind a husband and two teen age boys. So driving slow won't prevent accidents. Nothing can bring her back. Maybe you should ask your loved ones how they feel about your choice not to wear a helmut. I think it's selfish of you not to think of the consequences of your actions and how they may affect you family members and friends .
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Me thinks it's ok for you not to wear your helmut. Your safety is no concern of mine.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 AM

Smile Seat belt law comparison

I was a civil servant when the government brought in seat belt legislation and many of the above arguments were voiced. The sad part was after you had the brain injury and ended up in permanent government care, you wore a helmet even on a bus!

One comment that was made during the internal debate (I worked for Mental Health) was; "I wonder what per cent of the brain injured are conservative voters?" I don't know if the answer effected the decision or not, but we now all wear seat belts.

If the PCs ever form the government again I don't think they will rescind the legislation, it would open then to unlimited liability. And why, you guys always vote for them anyway.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Me thinks it's ok for you not to wear your helmut. Your safety is no concern of mine.
X2!

If you get fine they don't put you in jail anymore
Old 05-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I was a civil servant when the government brought in seat belt legislation and many of the above arguments were voiced. The sad part was after you had the brain injury and ended up in permanent government care, you wore a helmet even on a bus!

One comment that was made during the internal debate (I worked for Mental Health) was; "I wonder what per cent of the brain injured are conservative voters?" I don't know if the answer effected the decision or not, but we now all wear seat belts.

If the PCs ever form the government again I don't think they will rescind the legislation, it would open then to unlimited liability. And why, you guys always vote for them anyway.
So legislation will prevent stupidity?

Tell me more...

Why aren't they legislating neck braces and chest protectors?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:38 AM

I am going to throw a wrench in here.

The government is telling people what to do on CROWN land. You are free to not wear a helmet on YOUR land.

I may not agree with all of the exemptions on CROWN land but kinda agree with regulating on CROWN land.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:

-Glasses don't fit well/uncomfortable with a helmet
-To hot/cold.
-Restricts vision, trouble hearing.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 AM

Default principle....

To be honest, I am ok with this new law-as long as it applies to every recreational user, no matter their religion. The turban exemption is complete bs in my opinion, safety should apply to all users. I think there will be many atv users that will not comply with this based purely on principle.

Many of you are bickering back and forth on here, just wondering how many of you have actually done anything about it? I just emailed my opinion and questions to the minister of transportation on this issue.
Anybody else do anything like this? Any official responses?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Driving an ATV 3-7 kph won't prevent loss of control. I have to share a very sad story. About five years ago my friend was operating her atv on her own property. She was checking her cattle. She wasn't one to drive fast or take chances. When she went up a hill at low speed the quad flipped over back wards and it landed on her causing a fatal head injuries. She left behind a husband and two teen age boys. So driving slow won't prevent accidents. Nothing can bring her back. Maybe you should ask your loved ones how they feel about your choice not to wear a helmut. I think it's selfish of you not to think of the consequences of your actions and how they may affect you family members and friends .
Sorry to hear about that situation.

The problem with the anti-helmet people is they think that they can predict the future. They think going slow means they are safe. Which is not true. Does it happen frequently? No, but it happens.

As for the religion thing, that is ridiculous and discredits everything Canada stands for. Equality? Bs.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well some of us don't need the government to look after us. Furthermore why do you continue to refuse to answer the question as to why its okay for some to be exempted? If this is for safety, why is it safe for a Native person, Turban wearing person, farmer, rancher, or someone out on a job to not use a helmet.

This is just another attack on recreational OHV riders, disguised as safety. When are people going to start telling the government to butt the hell out of our lives, and don't even start with the "pay your own medical bills then" argument, as then we better say the same things about many other activities people do, but you consistently refuse to acknowledge that.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:40 AM

From what I have read, everyone was required to wear a helmet on Crown land, including Sikh's. The law originally only gave exemptions to farmers on their private land. Then Sikh's asked the government why it was okay for the famers to be exempt, safety should be the same across all boards. If one group is exempt, and Sikh's wear a turban because of their religion, they should also be qualified to be exempt.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 AM

I think the non helmet crowd is just plain mad that Alberta has just finally entered the 20th century regarding the mandatory wearing of helemets on all ATV's. Other jurisdictions (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and BC etc) have made helmets mandatory on ATV's for years. We're just playing catch up here in Alberta....

Even as a a kid decades ago, I wore a helmet when riding a snowmobile, the government didn't have to tell me to do it, in those days we just used our heads for something other than keeping our ears apart! We even wore them in the bush doing maybe 10 mph, never once did we come up with the argument, it's not the law, so I'm not going to wear a helmet. People assume they have/want 'way too much "personnal freedom" Using common sense and the government wouldn't have to make these laws, but without them, idiots would continue to ride without safety equipment, and those same idiots will continue even with the new legislation.

Quote:

Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Did not answer the question.

Society is based on people acting within the same manner. Boycott society since it infringes on how you should act? Boycott pants?

laws protect yourself and others. How do seat belt laws protect others and not yourself?

I like how your ok with speed limit laws for atvs but not helmets. Ok with Government saying how fast you can go, but wearing a helmet, too much! I think speed limits infringe on atving way more than helmets. There is also a broad spectrum of riders

. That law would mean pro riders who ride atvs for speed and fun can no longer enjoy their hobby, but your 10-15km speed for hunting doesnt hurt you or infringe on your sport so thats ok
Pro riders can go to a course if they want to go fast. No reason to be doing 90 km/h down a trail where you dont no whats around the next bend.

And the seat belt law is to protect others in the vehicle from being injured in the event of a crash for the most part. I also dont think you should have to wear one if your the only person in the car.

I dont understand how you support the government telling you how to personally think. We had a World War to stop a guy who was trying to tell everyone how to think and act, as well as seperate people into special groups.

Last edited by raab; 05-02-2017 at 11:55 AM.