Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2023, 01:57 PM

Well my one buddy who has been holding out got a buck this morning. There was some miss judgment on this one in the thick stuff. Ground shrinkage kicked in for sure. Still better than an empty freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2023, 02:02 PM

That's for sure! Good for Him! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Well my one buddy who has been holding out got a buck this morning. There was some miss judgment on this one in the thick stuff. Ground shrinkage kicked in for sure. Still better than an empty freezer

Old 11-15-2023, 03:08 PM

Lots of young bucks and teenagers on the hoof right now!! I’m sure every whitetail hunter has had this happen. Judging deer is tough and with low light conditions and thick brush small animals are takin every year. Takes a lot of years hunting deer to judge them and what to look for.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Lots of young bucks and teenagers on the hoof right now!! I’m sure every whitetail hunter has had this happen. Judging deer is tough and with low light conditions and thick brush small animals are takin every year. Takes a lot of years hunting deer to judge them and what to look for.
He was kicking him self for letting a 150 walk because he miss judged it. It was a fast encounter too so likely rushed thinking about that is my guess

Oh well not the end of the world
Old 11-15-2023, 07:00 PM

Well that didn't take him long. Congrats!
Old 11-15-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Well that didn't take him long. Congrats!
He should have given it maybe two more days I had a plan coming together
Old 11-15-2023, 07:45 PM

He looks like a nice thick meat buck at least.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:04 AM

Taking a nice break for the next 2 days before my cousin arrives. He only has a few days to hunt so don’t know how well he will hold out but I have a plan if he can hold his trigger finger

I have one fresh stand that has some decent bucks with lots of daylight movement. The area the tall tine buck was found has had great action with some good bucks. The tall tine buck seems to have moved but guys were running ATVs hard on a near by line so it might be a temporary shift do to pressure. The trench where I shot the droptine has had two new bucks move in. One has some character to him

He should be set up well with good temperatures but still need him and the deer to do their part.

I am crossing my fingers that the least picky guest can leave with a nice buck but he won’t complain either way
Old 11-17-2023, 08:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Some fine table fare right there

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-17-2023, 02:37 PM

My first comment on this thread, I love it!! I have been following it as well as last years thread. We hunt the foothills and have noticed in the last couple days the amount of deer we have been seeing has dropped off dramatically, are the bucks locked down with does now?
My records from last year show the same thing and according to my records our buck sightings increase after the 21st. Thoughts and comments please.
Mike
Old 11-17-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevv View Post
My first comment on this thread, I love it!! I have been following it as well as last years thread. We hunt the foothills and have noticed in the last couple days the amount of deer we have been seeing has dropped off dramatically, are the bucks locked down with does now?
My records from last year show the same thing and according to my records our buck sightings increase after the 21st. Thoughts and comments please.
Mike
I noticed that my trail camera that's in a high-traffic area hasn't picked up any movement in the last 30 hours or so, which makes me think that something has changed a bit. I do expect changes as the rut progresses.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Mike
Yes an no depending on the area and you don’t need to travel far to see different levels of movement

So I have a handful of areas I focus on mostly with a few pockets within each area. Over the years I have found there is a variation in the different stages of the rut in each area. So I actually shift around depending on the area that holds the best action

When it comes to bucks locking down with does its do to when the does go into estrus in you area and this will vary. So you could have bucks locked down with a hot doe in one area and 5 km away there is does just coming into estrus causing those bucks to chase more

Right now one of my areas is definitely in lockdown, another area is experiencing moderate movement and two areas are going crazy. Areas with lower doe numbers seem to stay active longer do to more competition

The 5-15 seems the best for me and after that I am jumping between my areas focusing on the hottest action. But from switching around I stay in pretty heavy action all season

So you might be experiencing lockdown but 10km could be going full tilt
Old 11-17-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I noticed that my trail camera that's in a high-traffic area hasn't picked up any movement in the last 30 hours or so, which makes me think that something has changed a bit. I do expect changes as the rut progresses.
I have some areas down to 20pics in 5 days and others are seeing just about 200pics in 5days
Old 11-17-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Mike
It all depends I guess where you are. I would say that the mature bucks are locked down with doe’s but the amount of young bucks I’ve seen hunting a total of 2 days at 10 hrs a day this week has bin crazy. I’ve also seen a bunch of fawns that have bin kicked so that’s telling me lockdown. But I have seen a lot of doe groups also with fawns and no bucks at all so it can be confusing sometimes on what’s happening. I don’t worry to much about the phase of the rut I’m hunting but I do pay attention to the major activity times and when they coincide with prime times.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:34 PM

Thanks for your reply's and comments from my lock down question, its going to be interesting the next week as its been 3 days now without seeing a deer. Mind you there was quite a bit of ATV action over the past 2 days.
Mike
Old 11-20-2023, 12:48 PM

Boom lol
Old 11-20-2023, 03:25 PM

Final tag for the year is filled. Decent buck for my cousin considering it’s only his third buck ever too

Old 11-20-2023, 04:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Looks like a heavy bodied buck!

Well done

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2023, 04:15 PM

Nice one! Love the coloration on the antlers. Congratulations to your cousin!
Old 11-20-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Nice one! Love the coloration on the antlers. Congratulations to your cousin!
The dark antlers with streaks are neat for sure but very common where I hunt. Light antlers are way less common. I have actually never shot a light antler whitetail
Old 11-20-2023, 05:48 PM

Well done!

There are no absolutes
Old 11-20-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Well done!
Even though it’s been a messed up warms season it turned out good and enjoyable
Old 11-20-2023, 09:00 PM

Excellent!
Old 11-22-2023, 11:03 AM

Default Nov. 21

Well things did change yesterday Nov 21, saw 6 bucks , 4 were with does. Nothing big every thing on the move.
Mike
Old 11-22-2023, 08:44 PM

We saw 2 today- buck was chasing a doe on all five legs, crossed the road very fast. The third one, the doe, was standing on the open at 300 meters away and I took the shot, was too exited and most likely missed…. She just turned around and run back to the bush. We didn’t see any blood, went into the bush following her trail for about 300 meters but again no blood no body…
Old 11-22-2023, 09:20 PM

one down, one to go
WDF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck.jpg (82.9 KB, 343 views)
Old 11-23-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
one down, one to go
WDF
I’m not sure if your hunting in Saskatchewan or that’s a pile of saw dust laying by the deer but just letting you know that it’s illegal to hunt deer over bait in Alberta. Might consider not listing pictures when that’s in the photo.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:33 AM

Nice way to wrap up the season, Smoky. Well prepared and executed. Well done, mate.

I have 2-3 hours here to get out, so I will shortly. Then Sunday for the day and maybe a few more hours next week. Fingers crossed, but… Lol.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I’m not sure if your hunting in Saskatchewan or that’s a pile of saw dust laying by the deer but just letting you know that it’s illegal to hunt deer over bait in Alberta. Might consider not listing pictures when that’s in the photo.
Looks like a pile of sand from a mole
Old 11-23-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
1. I am hunting in Sask. with my Dad who tagged out on this guy at 79.
2. That is a mole hill in the sand, lots of them in this area.
Appreciate your being worried but this is not FB where every TD&H post stupid pics, I have been hunting for a long time.
WDF