Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Come on now pm how is that any way differnt from alcohol based on legality? We have laws for that no?
This sounds like the quadders thread - we should be able to wreck the environment because the loggers do. So now we should be able to send folks on a path of social destruction with drugs because alcohol does.

Stupid argument.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
This sounds like the quadders thread - we should be able to wreck the environment because the loggers do. So now we should be able to send folks on a path of social destruction with drugs because alcohol does.

Stupid argument.
Sucker punch form left field exsqueeze me . Gimne a min got to reread that quote in context.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post

Stupid argument.
Pm suggests we dont like the idea of peer pressure pushing drugs on kids.I agree. he suggests the fact its illegal reduces the exposure. I disagree. We have laws covering children re alcohol, Cigarettes. So that argument is flawed as all drugs are illegal to childern rightly so.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Potty,

Are you a vendor of alcoholic beverages?
I'm patiently waiting for the answer to this one.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
I'm patiently waiting for the answer to this one.
pretty sure he has me on ignore

probably not a bad choice
Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned

Potty,

Do you sell alcohol and/or alcoholic beverages?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:39 PM

This issue has probably been debated as long as the internet has existed.
I have asked this question many times and have never received an answer.
"can some pro pot person give me a stand alone argument as to why pot should be legal and how it is helpful to society?"
By a stand alone argument I mean without mentioning alcohol or tobacco.
They have nothing to do with each other and if pot heads continue to link the arguments to them they have already lost the fight.
Everyone knows that alcohol and tobacco are harmful.
If I was to make a stand alone argument to legalize something I would not compare it to something that is known to be harmful to health.
I guess pot heads cannot fathom that idea.
As for potheads saying that pot has never killed anyone, they need to sober up and read stats on impaired driving. Lost productivity on job sites and wrecked family lives due to extensive marijuana use.

Unlike alcohol, pot users consume it to get "stoned".
People can and do have a few drinks without getting inebriated all the time.
I don't know anyone who smokes pot without the intention of getting high and I will call anyone a liar if they say they do.

The medicinal marijuana issue would be far better off without pot heads and stoners arguing in favour of legalization in order to get stoned.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 PM

With rights go responsibilities, who are responsible for treating you after putting garbage in your bodies? Is the government responsible looking after your health when you smoke and use all kinds of stuff that is "your right" to use? I vote no. It is a doctors "right" to refuse to treat a drug addict/alcoholic/pot smoker, if you use the same argument.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:01 AM

Default I am off the fence

I started off in this argument (this post more specifically) on the fence, i was niether pro nor con pot. I have come off the fence on the side of decriminalization. Reason being simple banning a substance does nothing to stop the use of that substance. In fact all banning does is make it more expensive and drive it into the hands of criminals.

Human beings are vice plagued creatures. We have been getting high of different plants and there dirivatives for a very long time. Is this a good thing? Probably not considering the health and social consequences of these actions. Can we stop it from occuring? I think not. Every man has his vices, for some its pot, for others its driving a fancy sports car fast and dangerously, for others its beautiful women. The issue becomes picking winners and losers. It something that most conservatives hate economically speaking but accept in vice determination. Frankly the war on drugs and prostitution were lost a very long time ago. We are wasting policing resources on both. We are wasting the time of the judicial system litigating both. We are wasting massive amounts of money trying to stop both.

I do not sanction the use of drugs or prostitution, frankly i think both are immoral. I dont think they can be stopped by laws or law enforcement. so lets stop wating money attempting to do so.

I would decriminalize both as opposed to legalizing them. Here is why. Firstly if you legalize you destigmatize. These activities should not become socially normative due to there harmful effects.
In the case of pot, if you legalize then goverment becomes involved in the production and manufacture of the product. I dont like that idea. They have poorly managed the tabbacco industry and i think they would harm the newly created pot industry. I like the idea of independant agriculture growing it and local distribution. Better yet have people grow and cultivate there own for there own use.
With prostitution you cant legalize it because if you did you would legitamize it as a career choice. I would be very upset if on career day at school the local brothel set up a booth to try and recruit members of my family to persue a career in this field. I am starting to ramble and this is becoming a long post but i hope you get the jist of my argument. Thanks for taking the time to read and i hope you found my arguments thought provoking.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
"can some pro pot person give me a stand alone argument as to why pot should be legal and how it is helpful to society?"
They have nothing to do with each other and if pot heads continue to link the arguments to them they have already lost the fight.
If I was to make a stand alone argument to legalize something I would not compare it to something that is known to be harmful to health.
As for potheads saying that pot has never killed anyone, they need to sober up and read stats on impaired driving. Lost productivity on job sites and wrecked family lives due to extensive marijuana use.

I don't know anyone who smokes pot without the intention of getting high and I will call anyone a liar if they say they do.

The medicinal marijuana issue would be far better off without pot heads and stoners arguing in favour of legalization in order to get stoned.
If one consumes alcohol to extreme excess you will die from alcohol poisoning. If you eat a packet of cigarettes the nicotine will kill you. There is NO LEATHAL DOSE of cannibis. you can smoke till you passout. you can eat it till you guts hurt . Funny the illegal drug in the short term is harmless and the leathal legal dugs are not.
All that aside the right to chose is the individuals and the law its self covering cannibis is an unlegal law as it now criminalizes the majority of the population .that simple really.every sider, framer, roofer,plumber, concrete placer, most sparkies, most auto mechanic every dry waller, acountant and lawer I know smoke the reefer and none are mad ?? A large percentage of the oil field folk also burn green. Not saying this makes it right but ot does make the law wrong.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
If one consumes alcohol to extreme excess you will die from alcohol poisoning. If you eat a packet of cigarettes the nicotine will kill you. There is NO LEATHAL DOSE of cannibis. you can smoke till you passout. you can eat it till you guts hurt . Funny the illegal drug in the short term is harmless and the leathal legal dugs are not.
All that aside the right to chose is the individuals and the law its self covering cannibis is an unlegal law as it now criminalizes the majority of the population .that simple really.every sider, framer, roofer,plumber, concrete placer, most sparkies, most auto mechanic every dry waller, acountant and lawer I know smoke the reefer and none are mad ?? A large percentage of the oil field folk also burn green. Not saying this makes it right but ot does make the law wrong.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you were high when you typed this.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you were high when you typed this.
Nope 1 Guinness at 8pm . Sir . Never on a work night .
Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Nope 1 Guinness at 8pm . Sir . Never on a work night .
You misspelled so many words in that reply you must be stoned.
You are either an idiot or stoned. Which is it?
You also said some very stupid things that I know construction workers (myself included) would be very offended at.
Don't call me Sir. That implies respect and you have offered me none and I certainly have none for you.
Maybe you and all your pothead friends feel this way but that vast majority of the population does not.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
You also said some very stupid things that I know construction workers (myself included) would be very offended at.
Don't call me Sir. That implies respect and you have offered me none and I certainly have none for you.
Maybe you and all your pothead friends feel this way but that vast majority of the population does not.
I am nether I am however terrible at typing on a phone . Sir. Why is there such a high demand for weed in AB . What offends you . Members of you trade smoke reefer . Or my inferance that they do. Actally the vast majority do not feel your way. if polls are to be belived a vote would legalize cannibis in a heart beat. Sorry you take this as offence none is given.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:

The consummation of Pot has never killed anyone.

65,000 Canadians died last year from legal pharmaceuticals.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Banned

people are also inebriated from alcohol while driving and have wrecked relationships and plastered while at work,, so what's new? Of course people are going to go to work stoned (ever notice Harpers catatonic blank stare?), as they go drunk. Both groups are twads, what's your point. Gambling causes more family disintegration than drugs and booze combined and suicide on top, but, charities for suicide prevention and the like need money to survive, so, we're stuck with VLT's and Bingo.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Given the enormous # of people that consume the devils erb, if it was a significant problem wrt impaired driving, we would be well aware.
I agree.
Thats why peope like snow boarders prefer pot to alcohol.
They are still coordinated and high functioning..capable of concentrating but relaxed.
Pot does not impair function in the same way that alcohol does but...you will never convince the antis of that.
It is funny that people think that different drugs would have the same affect.

Pot=alcohol
Heroin=Tylenol as well I guess....

Its pretty funny actually.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 AM
Banned

Default Pot's FAR better for us then - societies prescribed poisons, pharmceutical drugs - liquor - ect

Our Brain's are programmed to process POT ... not ALCHOL and these other ones they have us popping !

Marijuana, it turns out, affects brain chemistry in a comparatively different way than addictive drugs.

Drugs like heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, alcohol and nicotine affect the production of dopamine ( a neurotransmitter) which chemically activates switches in the brain to produce extremely pleasurable feelings. Drugs that affect dopamine production produce addiction because the human brain is genetically conditioned to adjust behavior to maximize dopamine production.

The recent discovery of a cannabinoid receptor system in the human brain has revolutionized research on marijuana and cannabinoids, and proves that marijuana use does not have a dependence or addictive effects.

People who require marijuana for medical purposes discover responsibly what dose provides steady therapeutic benefits.

Compare this to Alchol Abuse ..... and the Health effects from it's over use Anemia, Cancer, Cardiovascular disease, Cirrhosis, Dementia, Depression, Seizures, Gout, High blood pressure, Nerve damage, Infectious disease

TBD

PS ... have a Read boys, cannibis is a pretty interesting Plant, kind of strange that are brain's have been programmed to USE it !

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/brain2.html
Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Banned

Cool

Spelling makez all the differnce . If my spelling was any thing to go by .... im always stoned im not really, my spelling is terrible ... aww they wont believe me .
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Spelling makez all the differnce . If my spelling was any thing to go by .... im always stoned im not really, my spelling is terrible ... aww they wont believe me .

lay off the reefer gunner!

I always get a kick out of how much mileage this topic gets.

One day the law will change..and no one will notice except big pharma, labatt, and the cartels

Grandma will be safe and the kiddies will sleep (even better) at night.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Dont fly.
Its harder for teenagers to get booze than it is pot!!! Even though booze is sold legally... Your point dont fly. Sorry.
Thats true...and safer.

Getting booze was always a lot harder and it was so much easier to get caught.
It was easy to function while high but it was pretty hard to fake not drinking a bunch of beer.

Hell...its still impossible to fake not drinking a bunch of beer...even though I've spent so much time ...practicing.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Our Brain's are programmed to process POT ... not ALCHOL and these other ones they have us popping !

Marijuana, it turns out, affects brain chemistry in a comparatively different way than addictive drugs.

Drugs like heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, alcohol and nicotine affect the production of dopamine ( a neurotransmitter) which chemically activates switches in the brain to produce extremely pleasurable feelings. Drugs that affect dopamine production produce addiction because the human brain is genetically conditioned to adjust behavior to maximize dopamine production.

The recent discovery of a cannabinoid receptor system in the human brain has revolutionized research on marijuana and cannabinoids, and proves that marijuana use does not have a dependence or addictive effects.

People who require marijuana for medical purposes discover responsibly what dose provides steady therapeutic benefits.

Compare this to Alchol Abuse ..... and the Health effects from it's over use Anemia, Cancer, Cardiovascular disease, Cirrhosis, Dementia, Depression, Seizures, Gout, High blood pressure, Nerve damage, Infectious disease

TBD

PS ... have a Read boys, cannibis is a pretty interesting Plant, kind of strange that are brain's have been programmed to USE it !

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/brain2.html
Thats because alcohol in every form is by every definition an actual poison....not just something we call poison because we don't like it.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I'm sorry how am I controlling your life? I made an opinion. I have thousands of them. Here.. I think pedophiles should be gone forever

Don't feel sorry for me, I live a great life, and I'm surrounded with amazing people.
Opinions are great, everyone has one and everyone is entitled to one.

Once you start referring to people as "retards" though your opinion veers towards judgement and I bet that many people you interact with in a day, business or social, could be pot smokers and you'd never be the wiser.

You seem to be classing pot with the hard drugs, meth, cocaine. Pot isn't a gateway drug as much as you like to state that it is. Abuse is abuse no matter the substance, there are those that can have a couple beer on the weekend or with friends and never have a problem in their lives. Then there are those who allow the substance to define their lives, booze, pot, meth, prescription drugs, steroids. If someone smokes one after work or has a couple on the weekend, that doesn't make them an abuser. Get the difference?

Quote:

Why do people consume alcohol if not to feel some form of effect from it? Just because someone isn't falling down drunk after a few drinks doesn't mean they aren't getting some form of effect from it. I have never seen anyone "inebriated" from smoking pot to the point of falling down out of control black outs. Terrible argument and again you lose all credibility with the use of name calling. You too probably interact with people who smoke on a daily basis and would never know otherwise.

I don't smoke btw, I'm simply not intolerant, I don't drink either but I can tell you that drinking simply for the sake of sating thirst is not why people consume alcohol. Have a glass of water!

Stop judging people if you want your opinion to be valid.

Last edited by Sporty; 08-13-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
.every sider, framer, roofer,plumber, concrete placer, most sparkies, most auto mechanic every dry waller, acountant and lawer I know smoke the reefer and none are mad ?? A large percentage of the oil field folk also burn green. Not saying this makes it right but ot does make the law wrong.
Have to agree with you here. I work on residential home building sites and I know everyone on site pretty well...LOTS of people smoke ganja and they are all great guys.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Good argument! Have nothing to come back with so you cling onto spelling mistakes and blame it on being stoned when he typed it. That should be the determining factor everyone....pot is bad
Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Souds like the RCMP need a heads up on cracking a drug peddling ring.

Anyone got the balls to stop some crime?

Likely not in this crowd.

.....Yes I have called the RCMP.

OOooooo....you righter of wrongs...you doer of justice....you vigilante you!
I can just imagine the conversation among the cops after your phone call;
"Hey Chief...stop everything, some guy just phoned to say he saw some kids smoking pot!! Cancel that call to the drunk husband beating up his wife. Also the call to the hit n run accident, and take Bob and Pete off that homicide investigation...WE GOT KIDS SMOKING POT!!!"

Here's how it gets handled in reality:

My son and his buddies having a puff outside a nightclub one time when a cop rolls up on them;
"Evenin' boys...what are you up to?" The one holds up his joint and says
"nothin...just smokin a joint"
"I see....how much have you got on you?" He holds up a bag and says
"Just a couple roaches left"
"Okay...I'll just take those from you then. You know I could haul you in for that"
"Yeah, we know..."
"Okay then...thanks for being honest". And away he went.

Ever go outside the saddledome in the smoking area? There's always a few puffers out there. Security has walked by. No one even bats an eye. It's about as shocking as someone with a mickey in their pocket.

There will come a day Ken, (if not already) when one of your nieces, nephews, grandson/daughter might have a puff ...you gonna throw them in the slammer for 10 years?
And if it becomes legal and they partake, are you going to disown them?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
...Maybe you and all your pothead friends feel this way but that vast majority of the population does not.

Wrong. 66% of all Canadians feel this way. Only 20% feel the current laws are good, and 10% feel they should be increased.

Majority of Canadians support legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana, new poll suggests
Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post

OOooooo....you righter of wrongs...you doer of justice....you vigilante you!
Your idea of being a vigilante is calling the RCMP?

Put the pipe down Dave, it's rotting your brain.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Guaranteed my grandfather didn't. And its not everyone like me.its anyone that does illegal drugs...does that some it up!!! How many ways can I make it more clear? We all make choices and we all don't have to agree.I choose a clean lifestyle:-)

Dave your grasping at straws...its my opinion , your not gonna change it. I have the right to believe what I want and associate with those who have the same values.

Matt sorry to hear about your bro.
lol I think its clear potty that most guys can see youre a sad sad saaad human being. grow yourself a brain.

Honestly, I feel horrible for any kids you may be raising as most would agree its pretty tough to put forth a valid opinion on something they are so soon to pass an incorrect judgement on, without any knowledge whatsoever of it, and unfortunately your kids are going to take on the same narrow minded fascist ideals you seem to spew.

Do yourself a favour and actually research a topic before you start calssifying cancer patients, professionals, pro athletes, poilitiacians etc etc etc as life failures. Im fairly confident most casual marijuana smokers will easily put your sheltered wanna be outdoorsman / sub par salaried lifestyle to shame pal.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Guess I grew up in a different circle....
Yes, you did. Which goes back to my earlier suggestion that there are a lot of ignorant people..... just look at some if the comments from you and Ken.

Again, I don't use ignorant in a derogatory way, you both just do not know about marijuana. It is obvious to anyone who has ever smoked a joint.

Couple of "facts", at least as I have experienced them:

Marijuana is NOT ADDICTIVE, at least to the vast majority of people in the world. Just because many people choose to do something often that they find enjoyable does not mean they are addicted. I am personally addicted to coffee (I show negative physical symptoms when I do not have at least one cup within an hour I waking), I am addicted to cigarettes (even though I haven't had any tobacco in 14 years - one drag on a cig and I would be smoking 2 packs by the next day).

However, with me (and literally everyone I know who has smoked weed) I never was addicted to marijuana. I smoked every day for a few years, likely to avoid adolescent pressures at school and home, but it never bothered me or the people I knew to skip a day, or a week. It sucked, but no one got physically or mentally ill from not smoking. Can't say the same about booze, cigarettes, or "hard" drugs.

Marijuana IS LESS HARMFUL THAN ALCOHOL. Period. In small doses, in large doses, and everything in between. Eat it, smoke it, vaporize it. Doesn't matter, it is always less harmful, even if we just look at the physical symptoms, and ignore the physcoactive effects. If we include the stupid stuff people do while under the influence of both, they do not even belong in the same category of harmfulness.

In the world I grew up in, getting alcohol as an under aged child was hard. It may take a week of planning to make sure you had a case of beer for a weekend. Getting pot was as simple then as it is now: phone call or friend, 15 minutes, $15, you are set. Anytime, anywhere.