Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
One of your more even-handed posts, thanks for that. But how do you reconcile the over-arching sense of outrage over this event, and the general level of dissatisfaction growing with every over-stepping of authority? To just walk away & say 'we'll be better next time' rings so hollow!!!
I Agree with your post, it would ring hollow sort of like the press conference linked earlier, deputy commisioner was she? It was a lot of BS and no substance. I expect that, but I hate when a question is asked and you get a 1000 words not answering the question. Political posturing. I don't know the answer to your question, but feel criminal charges are not the proper response, however, the RCMP saying Ahh shucks, sorry, doesn't cut it either.

Someone earlier posted," all the RCMP members involved were transferred out of High River". It was posted as if it is a cover up of sorts. But one could also say perhaps it was a bit of a punishment. I believe okotoks is one of the most sought after posts in Alberta, for its location, weather, etc.... I would guess high river would be a close second choice for all the same reasons, only lacking its proximity to Calgary. Maybe the RCMP brass was already wrapping some knuckles for this cluster. Just another perspective. I am also not inferring this is a just resolution to the issues, it just occurred to me while I was typing.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Actually EOC never ordered the illegal seizures, the RCMP took it upon itself to bypass those pesky things like warrants
Nor could they order it. They directed that the searches be executed.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:39 PM

The searches were limited in scope, they were only allowed to search for survivors and pets. Anything else found was beyond the scope of the mandate and thus needed a warrant. Remember they were searching ( kicking down doors ) a week after the flood and making illegal searches. Plenty of time for an officer to travel to Okotooks and get a warrant .... But they didn't.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:39 PM

I believe that anything short of charges & demotions/firings is insufficient. To say it was a trying day, I can agree. But the RCMP are supposed to be trained for these events. Also some of this stuff happened well after the water receded, which the commission noted. The human safety issue was resolved very shortly, therefore a lot of stress was relieved to the RCMP!!The report clearly stated there was guns legally stored, illegally confiscated. I have no faith whatsoever in transfers being any sort of knuckle-rapping for the public benefit, I believe that is internal to keep the 'blue wall' intact. The fact that Calgary's situation was similar but handled so differently by a different police force is the tell-all.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
The searches were limited in scope, they were only allowed to search for survivors and pets. Anything else found was beyond the scope of the mandate and thus needed a warrant. Remember they were searching ( kicking down doors ) a week after the flood and making illegal searches. Plenty of time for an officer to travel to Okotooks and get a warrant .... But they didn't.
That's one of the main, if not the main, issues. If the RCMP were more than willing to ignore due process for this, what else are they willing to ignore due process on? The lack of concern about it is baffling.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:58 PM

Here's another funny tidbit. Several of my neibours had guns that were trigger locked but they had pulled them out of the basement safes because of water. A couple left them laying on their bed others just stood them in the corner of a room. So of course the guns were gone when they got access to thier houses. They go up to the rcmp to claim their guns but they are not there! So a theft report etc is done up. About a month later one of them finds a gun hidden in the back of his closet: another starts looking and finds one under a laundry basket. Some never were found.
So the rcmp kicked in doors; moved a gun to somewhere else in the house with no record of it and then left the house with the door wide open so anyone could walk in and steal whatever they wanted including guns.
WTH were these guys thinking!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Greatest thread in a looooooooong time, fishgunner is banned, it appears there is a slight silver lining to the High River fiasco.

Bring on the class action suits, get some of those lying, law breaking RCMP into court, and then watch the "blue wall" start to crumble.
Amen to all that
Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Ahh, but the warrants wouldn't have been issued without just cause though, so how about they just unneccesarily overreach/breach the scope of their mandate instead? It is after all what happened, and there's a tidy little official report noting just that.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:22 AM

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php...f0b2-297717229

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Don't you mean their latest attack dog??
They should name him Carbine to make everyone comfortable with an attack dog.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand