Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Besides thinking it should be legalised,, currently it is not legal, and I accept that. But people keep posting as if imbibing in it is legal, which it is not (save for medical use).

Sure it's apples and oranges,, but by much of the reasoning here on it's use, I'm surprised when those same members get all up in arms when they witnessed a 62cm Pike being kept or a guy hunting a day before the season opens.

Somehow the law can be disregarded with pot,, sure it's harmless - but it is illegal -, sure pot dealers are mellow - but trafficking is currently illegal -, sure all walks of life use it - and they are breaking the law -.

Why is breaking the law acceptable in this regard but so adamantly upheld by members in other regards?
I think the distinction that people do not understand is that pot itself is not illegal and neither is being high.

What is illegal is the marketing, cultivation, possession etc.

There is a fine difference there but what that means is that being stoned is not unlawful and that you can buy seeds and that if a plant is growing in your yard you are OK with the law until you start to care for and harvest it.

All the laws that surround pot and in fact most other drugs are applied to an activity related to that drug...not the drug itself or having actually used it.

Again...a fine distinction but a very very important one.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
SDF..... pot is stronger today then it was in the 70s yes.....lets say 10x stronger for sake of argument....all that means is.....instead of sitting back and smoking a couple cannons(big fat joints) to get high, these days the people are smoking a 1/3 or maybe 1/2 a small joint to get high.....it doesn't mean they are getting 10x higher. lol......In fact, the stronger pot(really high thc content) is way better for people as they are putting way less into their lungs!
But,but,but,but......??????

Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
But,but,but,but......??????

The stronger pot argument is a straw man thing anyway.
Its like saying...stronger water.

The stronger pot doesn't get anyone any higher...it just gets them high after consuming less.

The same way that a sip of water from a small glass can quench thirst just as well as a sip from a bucket.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post

The stronger pot doesn't get anyone any higher...it just gets them high after consuming less.
I'm not sure you interpreted the graph correctly. If it just gets them high after consuming less then why does the number of treatment admissions follow the potency scale?

If I was thirteen, er I mean eighteen again you damn right the stronger pot would get me higher.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the distinction that people do not understand is that pot itself is not illegal and neither is being high.

What is illegal is the marketing, cultivation, possession etc.

There is a fine difference there but what that means is that being stoned is not unlawful and that you can buy seeds and that if a plant is growing in your yard you are OK with the law until you start to care for and harvest it.

All the laws that surround pot and in fact most other drugs are applied to an activity related to that drug...not the drug itself or having actually used it.

Again...a fine distinction but a very very important one.
I'm going to trade in my Stanley tape measure for the dollar store one made in China,, where an actual inch measures closer to an inch and a quarter.

I'll change something for those who are 22, just got their first mortgage and have a successful little subcontracting venture on the go; maybe you won't (like me) or maybe you will (like my friend, get busted for - not a large quantity - but big enough to getting charged and big enough to cause him non-entry into the states which in turn caused him to lose a large sales contract).

As much as your view that it is harmless may be, it still comes with consequences. Zero tolerance at the border is ZERO TOLERANCE, nothing, nada, no THC, yes even that dreamcatcher hanging from your rear view mirror with the handy roach clip or the roach forever stuck in the nap of your floor mat or as another friend discovered - on the way to his sisters wedding -, which was having his truck impounded for one month and a 5 year ban from entering the states, for one seed in his glove compartment.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
The stronger pot argument is a straw man thing anyway.
Its like saying...stronger water.

The same way that a sip of water from a small glass can quench thirst just as well as a sip from a bucket.
I strongly disagree.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:11 PM

Default Unbelievable

That there are so many dopers on an outdoor board ,Drunks I could see .

Gust your right , these charges over the last ten years have screwed up

A lot of people's lives . I would see a steady stream of court appointed

Treatment patients . And all for pittly az amounts . The misled and the

Woe begotten

Also don't forget the chemically treated weed ,this is bad stuff mind rot

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/questio...7180721AAOJVUl

Last edited by Winch101; 04-17-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure you interpreted the graph correctly.
I know you didn't. Correlation does not imply causation. Just because two things happen to happen at the same time or follow a similar trend does not in any way mean that one causes the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
That there are so many dopers on an outdoor board ,Drunks I could see .
I'm not a doper, but I will always argue for it's legalization and taxation. Why give the money to gangsters? It's far easier for minors to get pot than booze as things stand.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm not a doper, but I will always argue for it's legalization and taxation. Why give the money to gangsters? It's far easier for minors to get pot than booze as things stand.

Might want to check Colorado to see if crooks are still in the pot business.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 PM

Yes buck of dope suckers ya man
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure you interpreted the graph correctly. If it just gets them high after consuming less then why does the number of treatment admissions follow the potency scale?

If I was thirteen, er I mean eighteen again you damn right the stronger pot would get me higher.
So at what point do you think the new pot would cause an OD?

You can only get so high...

The weaker stuff smoked when we were kids just took a bit longer and more to get you there.

The treatment admission rates might be somewhat misleading or co-incidental as well.

There is a lot more going on with the health of young people now than pot and a significant number of them are being subjected to prescribed drugs that chemically alter their behavior and of course some are also using other drugs...all of which are well and long known to be linked to seizure disorders.

It seems just a bit too neat and convenient to me that the graph ignores all that and other relevant facts while suddenly discovering after generations of people the world over have used pot that suddenly.. that use... causes seizures.

I wonder who paid for that graph.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm going to trade in my Stanley tape measure for the dollar store one made in China,, where an actual inch measures closer to an inch and a quarter.

I'll change something for those who are 22, just got their first mortgage and have a successful little subcontracting venture on the go; maybe you won't (like me) or maybe you will (like my friend, get busted for - not a large quantity - but big enough to getting charged and big enough to cause him non-entry into the states which in turn caused him to lose a large sales contract).

As much as your view that it is harmless may be, it still comes with consequences. Zero tolerance at the border is ZERO TOLERANCE, nothing, nada, no THC, yes even that dreamcatcher hanging from your rear view mirror with the handy roach clip or the roach forever stuck in the nap of your floor mat or as another friend discovered - on the way to his sisters wedding -, which was having his truck impounded for one month and a 5 year ban from entering the states, for one seed in his glove compartment.
Sorry.. I was referring to Canada and importation/exportation are different things altogether.

You can buy seeds here and in some other countries but... that does not mean that you can import them.
You can smoke pot in Colorado but that does not mean that you can bring your own from Canada or even from out of state.

Similarly...you can eat oranges in California but show up at the state line with a bunch from Florida and see what happens.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I strongly disagree.
OK well then show us how much pot it takes to overdose an average sized man.

Show us the evidence that an individual that smokes 2 bowls is twice as high as the guy that smokes one.

Honestly... the likelihood of someone dying from water intoxication is far greater than the likelihood that anyone could smoke enough weed to actually die from the drug and not simple asphyxiation.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
OK well then show us how much pot it takes to overdose an average sized man.

Show us the evidence that an individual that smokes 2 bowls is twice as high as the guy that smokes one.

Honestly... the likelihood of someone dying from water intoxication is far greater than the likelihood that anyone could smoke enough weed to actually die from the drug and not simple asphyxiation.
Wasn't sure this was on OD'ing.

When I stopped smoking pot it was on the cusp of the wheelchair varietal, which I found gave me brutal hives. I also found it too noddy and also made getting motivated towards anything really trying, it just didn't fit me anymore. All the best to those who do and get pleasure, just not my thing.

Back on subject; the quality of THC is pretty darned potent,, will every person taking a puff enjoy the numbing or will some go over the edge in whatever maybe going on in their head? We may find out more on this via Colorado, as there are numerous articles on not being able to do true assessments because of it being illegal. Findings on the psychosis of mice under the influence of THC are no better models than computers are at predicting climate change.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Banned

let me tell you what happens when a person overdoses from THC, they can't roll another joint
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Default Pro marijuana

I burn a doobie every night when I get home from work being a pipefitter, actually I don't smoke a whole joint because the pot nowadays is so strong all you need is a couple tokes and your high, so I would say I probably only smoke a couple joints a week. Being in the oilfield I have worked with all sorts of people crackheads, coke heads, drunks, potheads, pill junkies etc... And with all of the drug testing in alberta the guys who smoke a little bit of pot get crusified! If I am involved In a incident at work and I'm working with someone who stayed up all night drinking and snorting lines, while the night before I had a couple hoots and played with my son or worked in my garage, I'm gonna be the one who gets fired or needs to get "help" because I have a "problem," marijuana stays in the fatty cells of the body where harder drugs are flushed out within 24 hours. I am pro weed it helps me relax and gives me a buzz I like it better than drinking and getting a hangover. That being said... As the original post stated that pot can cause damage to the brain in young adolescence, I believe this to be true, a young developing brain should be clean. I wouldent want my son to be blazing when he's going to high school during a crucial time period In his life. But later on in life when he is established in life and he wants to get high every now and then instead of being a drunk I say light em up! And as far as potheads being stupid burnouts as portrayed in movies and drug free advertisements, it's bulls**t I know a lot of very intelligent people that are chronics, but also know some real dummy's that smoke a lot of pot, maybe there the ones who were smoking ten joints a day as a teenager. Bottom line is if alcohol and tobacco are legal why isn't marijauna?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM

As to pot causing brain damage to youths, I will agree with that to some degree. But I think there are a lot of other legal things that are much worse. Alcohol being one of them.
It should be legal in my opinion. People making pot out to be this horrible life changing drug are the biggest problem.
When my kids get older I am going to treat alcohol and pot the same and explain to them the difference between hard drugs such as crack, acid, crystal meth Ect. As someone else stated if you make pot out to be this horrible thing and your kid does try it and realizes he was lied to there will be a much greater chance he will try the hard drugs. I also think that all the studies that claim that pot leads to hard drugs is because of this reason.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
SDF..... pot is stronger today then it was in the 70s yes.....lets say 10x stronger for sake of argument....all that means is.....instead of sitting back and smoking a couple cannons(big fat joints) to get high, these days the people are smoking a 1/3 or maybe 1/2 a small joint to get high.....it doesn't mean they are getting 10x higher. lol......In fact, the stronger pot(really high thc content) is way better for people as they are putting way less into their lungs!
Do you feel you get desensitized or build up a tolerance and then need more to get the same feeling? That is what one buddy said before he went mostly cold turkey. Now just smokes once or twice a year.

Before that he had to smoke more and more to get the same feeling.

Curious about your take on that.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
let me tell you what happens when a person overdoses from THC, they can't roll another joint
Good one!

Billy.... you drive the car... you is way to drunk to roll the joints....
Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
As to pot causing brain damage to youths, I will agree with that to some degree. But I think there are a lot of other legal things that are much worse. Alcohol being one of them.
It should be legal in my opinion. People making pot out to be this horrible life changing drug are the biggest problem.
When my kids get older I am going to treat alcohol and pot the same and explain to them the difference between hard drugs such as crack, acid, crystal meth Ect. As someone else stated if you make pot out to be this horrible thing and your kid does try it and realizes he was lied to there will be a much greater chance he will try the hard drugs. I also think that all the studies that claim that pot leads to hard drugs is because of this reason.
Yup...nobody is saying that pot is GOOD for you just that there are things equally bad and mose often.... even worse...relatively speaking.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

The weaker stuff smoked when we were kids just took a bit longer and more to get you there.

The treatment admission rates might be somewhat misleading or co-incidental as well.

There is a lot more going on with the health of young people now than pot and a significant number of them are being subjected to prescribed drugs that chemically alter their behavior and of course some are also using other drugs...all of which are well and long known to be linked to seizure disorders.

It seems just a bit too neat and convenient to me that the graph ignores all that and other relevant facts while suddenly discovering after generations of people the world over have used pot that suddenly.. that use... causes seizures.

Seems like all that dope smokin' made you a little paranoid
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Just think how smart you'd be if you weren't rotting your brain by smoking pot. Not to mention the fact that your exposing your lungs to a carcinogen.....give up the dope, life is better without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
As most know iv been dealing with a back injury. I am amazed at how many people offered me some pot as a few people deal with back pain and swear it helps. Some people who came to me are the last people I would ever expect to smoke pot and some have some positions at work that just any person could not achieve or have positions that take alot of brain power and thinking. So I wouldn't say its rotting the brain. ever read the ingredients of whats in a cigarette? pretty sure thats worse
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...y/effects.html

Interesting. I would of thought cigarettes with all their additives was where most of the carcinogens came from.

I have not looked for a study on it but this link suggests otherwise.

RESPIRATORY SYSTEM EFFECTS

8. The daily use of 1 to 3 marijuana joints appears to produce approximately the same lung damage and potential cancer risk as smoking 5 times as many cigarettes. (UCLA) The study results suggest that the way smokers inhale marijuana, in addition to its chemical composition, increases the adverse physical effects. The same lung cancer risks associated with tobacco also apply to marijuana users, even though they smoke far less. (reported in NIDA Capsules)

9. Benzopyrene is the chemical in tobacco that causes lung cancer. An average marijuana cigarette contains nearly 50% more benzopyrene than a tobacco cigarette. An average marijuana cigarette contains 30 nanograms of this carcinogen compared to 21 nanograms in an average tobacco cigarette (Marijuana and Health, National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine Report, 1982) Benzopyrene suppresses a gene that controls growth of cells. When this gene is damaged the body becomes more susceptible to cancer. This gene is related to half of all human cancers and as many as 70% of lung cancers.

10. Marijuana users may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers have, such as chronic bronchitis and inflamed sinuses. (Marijuana Facts: Parents Need to Know, National Institute on Drug Abuse )

11. Marijuana smokers, when compared to non marijuana smokers, have more respiratory illness. (Polen et al. 1993).

12. Marijuana smoke produces airway injury, acute and chronic bronchitis, lung inflammation, and decreased pulmonary defenses against infection. Smoking one marijuana cigarette leads to air deposition of four times as much cancer-causing tar as does tobacco smoke (Dr. D. Tashkin, Western Journal of Medicine)

At the very least... why would one not just consume brownies? Why smoke it? Some insightful comments much appreciated. Just curious.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-17-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
I burn a doobie every night when I get home from work being a pipefitter, actually I don't smoke a whole joint because the pot nowadays is so strong all you need is a couple tokes and your high, so I would say I probably only smoke a couple joints a week. Being in the oilfield I have worked with all sorts of people crackheads, coke heads, drunks, potheads, pill junkies etc... And with all of the drug testing in alberta the guys who smoke a little bit of pot get crusified! If I am involved In a incident at work and I'm working with someone who stayed up all night drinking and snorting lines, while the night before I had a couple hoots and played with my son or worked in my garage, I'm gonna be the one who gets fired or needs to get "help" because I have a "problem," marijuana stays in the fatty cells of the body where harder drugs are flushed out within 24 hours. I am pro weed it helps me relax and gives me a buzz I like it better than drinking and getting a hangover. That being said... As the original post stated that pot can cause damage to the brain in young adolescence, I believe this to be true, a young developing brain should be clean. I wouldent want my son to be blazing when he's going to high school during a crucial time period In his life. But later on in life when he is established in life and he wants to get high every now and then instead of being a drunk I say light em up! And as far as potheads being stupid burnouts as portrayed in movies and drug free advertisements, it's bulls**t I know a lot of very intelligent people that are chronics, but also know some real dummy's that smoke a lot of pot, maybe there the ones who were smoking ten joints a day as a teenager. Bottom line is if alcohol and tobacco are legal why isn't marijauna?
I'm not a pot smoker but this echoes my thoughts on the matter.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Just think how smart you'd be if you weren't rotting your brain by smoking pot. Not to mention the fact that your exposing your lungs to a carcinogen.....give up the dope, life is better without it.

As most know iv been dealing with a back injury. I am amazed at how many people offered me some pot as a few people deal with back pain and swear it helps. Some people who came to me are the last people I would ever expect to smoke pot and some have some positions at work that just any person could not achieve or have positions that take alot of brain power and thinking. So I wouldn't say its rotting the brain. ever read the ingredients of whats in a cigarette? pretty sure thats worse
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...joint-bed.html

I thought cannabis could not kill. Maybe if you have heart problems it may mean you should be cautious in your usage.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Greening out

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post

Anyone hear that term before? News to me.

http://www.newhealthguide.org/Can-Yo...Marijuana.html

Can You Overdose On Marijuana?
Effect of Ingesting Too Much Marijuana --“Greening Out”

A temporary overdose of marijuana can occur and is called “greening out.” It is important to understand that a temporary overdose of marijuana will not result in permanent disability or death, but can be quite common in people who have not used the drug often. The following are the symptoms of too much marijuana in the system:

Temporary feelings of paranoia, fear and anxiety
Shortness of breath
Pupil dilation
Vomiting and/or nausea
Fast heart rate
Shaking that is hard to control, feeling cold
Disorientation or hallucinations
Hangover

This phenomenon passes on its own within minutes to hours of marijuana use. If the symptoms are severe, medical attention needs to be obtained to make sure the user is closely observed for complications. There is a chance that some marijuana obtained on the street could contain stronger chemicals and drugs that could cause a person to become very ill. In this case, someone could suffer from dangerous side effects. There is also a slight risk of using too much marijuana with underlying health conditions and suffering severe reactions to the drug.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-17-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Read all my posts. Clearly you cherry picked. I grew up in a rough neighbourhood. Drugs were very common in certain circles within that community.

I have a large amount of exposure to the drug culture of which you are unaware of. You may wish to demean my opinion but realize I am not the only one in this thread that sees studies as interesting facts to an interesting debate.

Science shows a negative affect on the brain. Someone else says they smoke pot and are super intelligent as well. Others see users as dangerous or ineffectual workers. Someone else suggested they may be born ineffectual and smoking pot did not cause it.

Your contribution to the OP is? Does pot cause harm or not?

Fact is many studies have been biased to proving on side or another.

Now with legal use better studies are going to keep coming.

What CNN's report on pot. It was fair. Pointed out pros and cons.
Just curious, why is this science more legitimate than the science on climate change?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
There is an argument to be made that responsible use by responsible adults is reasonable.

I also don't see the need to give someone smoking a joint a criminal record.

While I have room to be persuaded in a debate to agree to an opening to the premise that legal pot could harm criminals... to make it really work cost becomes a factor as well as self grow ops versus a state store. Therefore taxation does not really make a strong argument. In Colorado...state pot versus illegal pot is impossible to distinguish. The pot in Colorado is expensive and therefore criminal pot still has a market. Dealers can walk around with a sale quantity under the radar now. That will crop up as a problem.

I also think it is important to know all the facts like the evidence points strongly to not over use as an adult and not to use at all as a youth or pregnant woman.

There is also...I feel extremely strong studies and facts that medicinal pot has more benefits versus side effects.

The negative health effects...especially on the brain needs lots more study before a reasonable position can be given...by me at least.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Default Brownie Overdose

An oldie but a goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTWutrp5Xk
Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Just curious, why is this science more legitimate than the science on climate change?
I was waiting for that question.

Science based upon actual research and a proven result such as studying brain scans yields the answer. If you make a study to test if THC causes brain function disruptions in certain parts of the brain and those scans showed that happening and it was replicated elsewhere with similar results...you have compelling scientific research that shows cause and effect. Studies are more complicated of course but simplifying a bit here.

Climate is also modeling and predictions and what if scenarios.

If I gave a study that said "What if pot made everyone explode"... then went into the horrible cost of clean up. Lost of life from exploding drivers. The result of the what if would suggest don't take the risk. Then you have climate studies.

The big problem with these studies in climate is the predictions continue to fail. Such as the last 17 years of no warming...not shown by models. The killer hurricane seasons that never came to be.