Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2023, 08:57 AM

Congrats on the great buck. So much character. Enjoyed the thread.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Just went back and re-read the entire thread lol.

I find the whole pursuit so interesting, especially when you can re-wind it beginning to end, seeing the picture progression, knowing the result.

I'd guess a basic 168" thereabouts main frame, a bunch of kickers and ~7" droptine, gotta be a gross score into the 175" give or take.

But score isn't important really, age and character matter!

And working several years to pattern and tag-out on a buck like this is special.
You have a good eye and he would likely land close to your guess. For starters the droptine is about 8 1/2 - 9inch. Odds are he won’t have a tape put on him unless one of my buddies does it though. I could careless about scoring him but my wife had to ask the taxidermist his guess and he figured gross in the 170’s so his thoughts are a long the same guess as yours

For me the pursuit and knowing he is unique is what makes this buck for me

You guys find the information on the pursuit that I posted interesting but there is so much missing on how I narrowed him down. My buddy who was with me for part of the scouting and stand set up was baffled how I was able to predict where this buck might go throughout the season lol
Old 11-08-2023, 09:25 AM

Demonical you made me go back and read my own thread start to finish lol
Old 11-08-2023, 09:32 AM

^

Respect!
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-08-2023, 10:13 AM

Gross 170 buck for sure. Great job.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:32 PM

Great buck Smokey. Congrats!
Old 11-09-2023, 07:11 PM

Thank you for sharing your quest with us
Old 11-11-2023, 07:03 AM

Well one of the monkeys just left the house to find his tree let’s see how it goes

Weather definitely sucks and limited movement on the cams I checked but this guy has one heck of a lucky horse shoe
Old 11-11-2023, 08:07 AM

Fantastic buck!! Congrats!!!
Old 11-11-2023, 08:30 AM

I should say thanks for the congrats everyone it is a buck I am proud of but as I sit here well others are still hunting and knowing I still have another guest coming I wish I still had a buck tag

I respect Albertas one whitetail general(buck) tag but with so many days left I wish there was two tags

Oh well I will just do some scouting to help create opportunities for those who still have tags and see what I can find to prepare for 2024. I am thinking I may need to increase my information on that tall tine buck
Old 11-11-2023, 09:54 AM

Well my buddy has passed on two bucks so far this one was photogenic lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2023, 01:33 PM

Well done!
Old 11-11-2023, 03:25 PM

Well I went and ran some cameras and set up a few for ground spots or potential locations for next year

Well the buck I call nightshift who I have more time scouting than and buck gave me the nicest day time pic’s ever. It is strange this year is the most he has ever moved in daylight. This buck is old, smart and I respect more than any of the bucks I chased this year

I really wish I had another buck tag. Crossing my fingers he makes it till next season

I just have to share these pics because they are the nicest shots I have ever gotten of this buck

Old 11-11-2023, 03:39 PM

What a stud!!
Old 11-11-2023, 03:44 PM

That’s a beautiful deer
Old 11-11-2023, 04:03 PM

Yeah he is one I will chase till the end even if he dramatically declines
Old 11-11-2023, 04:24 PM

Good heavens, that’s one studly buck!
Old 11-11-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Good heavens, that’s one studly buck!
Just another public land dink buck lol
Old 11-11-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Just another public land dink buck lol
Heresy!

Old 11-11-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Heresy!

I was told yesterday well out grouse hunting/checking cams all the bucks in that area are dinks so it must be true
Old 11-11-2023, 08:58 PM

He’s a beauty! It will be fun following your journey on this one. Your thread has always been informative and exciting to follow. Thx
Old 11-11-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
It is strange this year is the most he has ever moved in daylight.
That is because he knows you are tagged out!

The only time I saw a deer I really wanted during daylight was when I first found him in October and after the season was over.

It’s a beautiful buck, Smoky. Hope you get him!

Quote:
I was told yesterday well out grouse hunting/checking cams all the bucks in that area are dinks so it must be true
Where I hunt deer most, I was told the bucks there were 3x3 at best and that there is no big deer there by a few people. That same summer my cousin shot a 188 deer there, bedded down about 200, maybe 300 meters away from the road (completely by luck). The guy who put a tape on him said he never measured a buck like that that was taken in the surrounding management units, lol, and he works the rack measuring contests. A couple of bucks in the 170’s were pulled out from the same area. I shot a buck there that had 15 points if you only count over an inch growth. That one never got measured (he ain’t a giant, probably in 160’s). You will never know until you go in there.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
That is because he knows you are tagged out!

The only time I saw a deer I really wanted during daylight was when I first found him in October and after the season was over.

It’s a beautiful buck, Smoky. Hope you get him!

Where I hunt deer most, I was told the bucks there were 3x3 at best and that there is no big deer there by a few people. That same summer my cousin shot a 188 deer there, bedded down about 200, maybe 300 meters away from the road (completely by luck). The guy who put a tape on him said he never measured a buck like that that was taken in the surrounding management units, lol, and he works the rack measuring contests. A couple of bucks in the 170’s were pulled out from the same area. I shot a buck there that had 15 points if you only count over an inch growth. That one never got measured (he ain’t a giant, probably in 160’s). You will never know until you go in there.
They definitely know when you don’t have a tag my wife watched a solid 160 walk at 40 yards today well looking for a doe. I have had numerous nice buck come out well checking cams after tagging out over the years. It’s like a 6th sense
Old 11-12-2023, 07:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Where there are dink’s there are studs too....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Where there are dink’s there are studs too....
Yes and no that depends on what you are calling a stud

It’s more complicated than that in ways. But the biggest issue is a lot of hunters saying an area just has dinks are often applying that to too big of an area.

It could be age related and this often means it’s a busy hunting area where you need to look where others don’t. Some places the genetics are lacking so you can still find nice bucks but a true tank is highly unlikely. The thing many don’t realize is you don’t need to go that far to find better genetics at times

So I have pockets where we hunt that you can definitely find nice bucks but you will likely never see anything the quality of the nightshift buck or drop tine. There is still great bucks but that next level is unlikely

Now if you take some of my other pockets the bucks have noticeably better genetics. You can notice the difference in the size and characteristics in the younger bucks even. These are the places I find exceptional bucks

You can find a huge difference just 5-10km away when it comes to the genetic characteristics. Age class can change just by looking in a different spot. This is why I actually have a bunch of small areas I hunt spread out over a large area with a handful of pockets within each area

Can you have a big buck show up anywhere in the rut of course but genetics does limit things to an extent too. What I find is genetics is far more localized than many believe though
Old 11-12-2023, 08:03 AM

But my buddy is back on stand this morning in a different spot

Yesterday called in 3 bucks but nothing that caught his interest. The plan is a morning sit where he is and because the wind is going to shift mid day he will switch him to one of our ground locations. The plan is to set him up where my wife seen the nice one yesterday. That buck was being vocal grunting without her calling so odds are he is going to respond well to calling

Let’s see how today goes
Old 11-12-2023, 09:00 AM

Right now being on location first light is definitely important buddy has passed on 2 bucks already
Old 11-12-2023, 10:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Right now being on location first light is definitely important buddy has passed on 2 bucks already

Agree, go in the dark out in the dark if
You gonna sit on a hot spot.

Some areas I still hunt but usually like a windy day with quit ground beneath my feet before I head out.

Hope your buddy finds what he wants.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-13-2023, 03:24 PM

Now for me, this thread is what AO is about. Learning from others who hunt differently, appreciating their time and effort, and celebrating in their success. That is what AO is about. Not politics.

A huge congratulations my friend!!!!
Old 11-13-2023, 04:15 PM

Thanks Sns2

I was out doing a little scouting/chicken hunting and got a call from a local friend who hunts similar to me. He had a buck down and I was close by so helped him haul it out

He is actually hunting one of my old spots just a different tree 15feet from where I had a stand a few years back

He just likes to eat them and is not picky so he took this 8pt