Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I agree....A real business owner would not sit around and accept being the laughing stock around the league....Money is one thing but pride of owning a successful business would be my number one priority! I cannot even walk into a Rexall store without feeling embarrassed...
Katz sold Rexall for 3 BILLION a couple years ago
Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
Sorry not sure where you got your numbers but they are clearly not right, as it is impossible for the flames to have a made a Stanley cup appearance and only win 1 playoff round.

Why use 1990, why not start comparing from this century isn't enough. We are almost 20 years in. I suspect you wanted to use the last year the Oilers won the cup to boost your rounds won stat.

At the end of the day the last 20 years the Flames have missed the playoffs a number of times as well, the difference is the games have been meaningful almost every year, until close to the end of the season. Personally if I was an Oilers fan this year and was offered free tickets (assuming I had seen Connor play live at some point already) I would pass on the tickets. It wouldn't be worth paying for parking/beers/popcorn etc. to watch a game like that.

Yes the Oilers were a dynasty in the 80's they are not anymore. If you want to talk about stats in this century
  1. The Oilers hold the longest Playoff drought in NHL history
  2. The Oilers have the most Number 1 over all Picks in the last 20+ years, probably longer if I felt like looking it up.(The NHL changed the layout of the draft because of the Oilers.)
  3. The Oilers have the most Top 5 picks in the last 20 years probably ever.

As much fun as it is to take shots at oilers fans now, its really all in good fun, I would actually like to see your organization to get their **** together. The first BOA this year was probably the best game I have watched in decades, and I would absolutely love to have a playoff series against the Oilers sometime soon. Maybe it will happen this year, but I just don't see it.

This team doesn't just need to change GM's they need to change their entire organization/culture. The GM can only do so much, if your scouting/development is no good, you aren't going anywhere in a salary cap era. You need to be able to supplement your big contracts with talented players on entry level deals. Its not just the 1st overall pick, when you have that pick you also get pick 31(32 now) which is the pick the Stanley cup winner would get. I am not super informed on your farm team, but I believe the cupboards are pretty bare, which is why every year you have had to rush players into the NHL roster before they are ready.

The Oilers have been terrible at drafting/developing/trading/signings/hiring's I am sure there is more, but they have the mentality of "We know a thing or two about winning" The Salary cap has changed everything and I am not sure K Lowe or anyone in the organization understands that. Unfortunately the Oilers are in such a hole it will take years to dig out if you want to do it right.

Just imagine what your team would look like if you hadn't won the draft lottery and got Connor McDavid. There would not even be any hope. At least he is a light at the end of the tunnel or at least you would think.

OK, sorry for the unfair comparison. Lets go from 2000

Since 2000

Oilers

missed the playoffs 13 times
Won 1 round
1 Cup finals (3 rounds won)

Flames

missed the playoffs 11 times
won 1 round
1 cup finals (3 rounds won)

My point is and has been for a while, the Flames have not been much better than the Oilers in recent history other than this year. I have been pulling for a Canadian team to win the cup ever since 93 and I hope the Flames can do well this year. But all this pity, and free advice you Flames fan are offering is getting a little old and your energy can be better spent supporting your own team. Misery usually loves company but a welcome can be worn out as well and I am plain sick of the "dumpster fire" reference.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

Since 2000

Oilers

Won 1 round

Flames

won 1 round

My point is and has been for a while, the Flames have not been much better than the Oilers in recent history other than this year. I have been pulling for a Canadian team to win the cup ever since 93. But all this pity, and free advice you Flames fan are offering is getting a little old and your energy can be better spent supporting your own team. Misery usually loves company but a welcome can be worn out as well and I am plain sick of the "dumpster fire" reference.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:17 AM

I get a kick out of the armchair GM's who figure trading the only viable pieces left on the team is where to start. We can't afford to bleed anymore of what talent we have left. The pieces that we HAD that were worth anything to trade, got traded away for absolutely NOTHING (eg. Strome for Eberly, Spooner for Strome, Spooner falls off the planet = Gave Eberly away for ZERO).

It is going to be quite some time to crawl out of the hole that has been dug by this incompetent Management Team .

BH

Old 02-07-2019, 08:48 AM

Can someone explain to me the point of picking up Manning when he was a healthy scratch as soon as he got here, then this past Philly and Habs road trip, he was suited up but stayed on the bench and saw no ice. Two nights ago against the Hawks, healthy scratch again. What was the point? All picking him up did was **** off Oiler fans that remember him for injuring McDavid during his Calder year..
Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Exactly my point. There is so many incredibly incompetent moves, you can't list them all.
How has anyone kept their jobs in that management group?????
The bigger issue is that it's hard to even be upset anymore. I've become indifferent to it all and that is the truly sad part.............

BH

Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post
Exactly my point. There is so many incredibly incompetent moves, you can't list them all.
How has anyone kept their jobs in that management group?????
The bigger issue is that it's hard to even be upset anymore. I've become indifferent to it all and that is the truly sad part.............

BH
I’m right there with you at this point..
Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

Since 2000

Oilers

Won 1 round

Flames

won 1 round

My point is and has been for a while, the Flames have not been much better than the Oilers in recent history other than this year. I have been pulling for a Canadian team to win the cup ever since 93 and I hope the Flames can do well this year. But all this pity, and free advice you Flames fan are offering is getting a little old and your energy can be better spent supporting your own team. Misery usually loves company but a welcome can be worn out as well and I am plain sick of the "dumpster fire" reference.
You're confusing the flames fans with logic. You know how they dislike that!

BW
Old 02-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Hokay....... I’ll tell you boys who ta blame:

1. MacT..... I honestly believe that he’s the prime mover and shaker with a to be of this stuff. I think we need to muzzle him severely. I’m sure of it. Hes responsible for years of farm team neglect and not understanding the concept of draft and develop. I do find it ironic that he wouldn’t clean up Hall before they shipped him out (MacT was a substance abuse reclamation project of Sather’s).

1. I’m very sorry.... but the town itself. I was born and raised there....... but boys.... all Edmonton is (as it presents to outsiders and NHL players) is a big industrial park with a cute mall, gross river and an airport.... and nhl players find itfriggin cold.

No one should dis Katz. Our NHL team would have jumped to Seattle looooong ago if it wasn’t for him.
He’s built the u of A pharmacy faculty
He’s building the IcE district in an attempt to make Edmonton appealing.

But ANY GM really really really has a tough time selling this team to free agents with the town the way it is.

..... add to that a fan base and media that are rabid!

She’s a tough assignment kids.

Bessie as much as I love how you bleed Copper and Blue, this thought that the town keeps the players away is complete and utter BS. You know what keeps players away.....Mismanagement and LOSING!! Players want to go to a team that is competitive with a chance at the ultimate goal. Ya i'm sure it is a bonus if there is a beach near by in the middle of Feb, but it is the winning that ultimately matters. Sure didn't see players in the 80's want out of Edmonton so the idea it is an issue now, I don't buy it.
If this team was handled differently and we were a elite contender, we would be on everyone's short list for trades. It's only human to want to be a part of a winner. Be it the NHL, or the lowest level of your local beer league, guys want to win.
Easy example............Have you been to Winnipeg lately.......

BH

Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Bessie as much as I love how you bleed Copper and Blue, this thought that the town keeps the players away is complete and utter BS. You know what keeps players away.....Mismanagement and LOSING!! Players want to go to a team that is competitive with a chance at the ultimate goal. Ya i'm sure it is a bonus if there is a beach near by in the middle of Feb, but it is the winning that ultimately matters. Sure didn't see players in the 80's want out of Edmonton so the idea it is an issue now, I don't buy it.
If this team was handled differently and we were a elite contender, we would be on everyone's short list for trades. It's only human to want to be a part of a winner. Be it the NHL, or the lowest level of your local beer league, guys want to win.
Easy example............Have you been to Winnipeg lately.......

BH
I have to agree. Winnipeg isn't tropical, nor is Minneapolis-St. Paul MN. It's not the city.

I also have to agree with Bessie's comments on Mac T. He should be delegated to the front doors as a greeter, similar to what you see at Wal-Mart.

I have no problem with the role that Lowe and Gretz have with the organization. Mac T is way to close to the players. He was a hell of a coach, not so much as a manager!

BW
Old 02-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I have to agree. Winnipeg isn't tropical, nor is Minneapolis-St. Paul MN. It's not the city.

I also have to agree with Bessie's comments on Mac T. He should be delegated to the front doors as a greeter, similar to what you see at Wal-Mart.

I have no problem with the role that Lowe and Gretz have with the organization. Mac T is way to close to the players. He was a hell of a coach, not so much as a manager!

BW
Mac T should be shown the front doors along with Lowe
Clean house and start from scratch,can’t be any worse than what they’ve been doing for the last ten years
I’m not talking players but assistant coaches all the way up to upper management
Old 02-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Valy View Post
Mac T should be shown the front doors along with Lowe
Clean house and start from scratch,can’t be any worse than what they’ve been doing for the last ten years
I’m not talking players but assistant coaches all the way up to upper management
100% agree. All this nonsense won't change with just a new GM. This cancer runs so much deeper. Anything short of running the management group out the door will be nothing more than shuffling the deck chairs...........
Like you said, can't get much worse.

BH

Old 02-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
100% agree. All this nonsense won't change with just a new GM. This cancer runs so much deeper. Anything short of running the management group out the door will be nothing more than shuffling the deck chairs...........

BH
Yeah, well Mr Katz the 80’s Oilers fanboy would have to do that. Until he grows a set and shows he cares, good luck with that..
Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Agreed. He seems more interested in hanging with the boys on the bus rather than building a winning franchise...........sad...

BH

Old 02-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:

BH
Easy to blame the GM or coach when things are not good
It’s the idiots behind closed doors that are running(ruining)the franchise
Sure Chia screwed up but you can’t blame him for the years of sub par performance that has occurred before his term with the team
The old boys club seen he was available and jumped on the opportunity to get him because they thought since he built a winning team in Boston he could do it for the Oilers.For a good on ice product you don’t necessarily need the best players,you also need chemistry,same goes for management
Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 PM

Big game and we’re gonna dominate I tell ya dominate

Fer a change the first shot first goal wasn’t against us.

One timer from Nurse and we’re on da board

Hitch took a puck behind da ears and went down the hall to repair a leak.

BW
Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Big game and we’re gonna dominate I tell ya dominate

Fer a change the first shot first goal wasn’t against us.

One timer from Nurse and we’re on da board

Hitch took a puck behind da ears and went down the hall to repair a leak.

BW
Please,,, one Bessiedog is enough.. imitation aint da best form of flattery you aint got dis .
Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 PM

The floater is now leading the team in goals. 32 on the year.

BW
Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
The floater is now leading the team in goals. 32 on the year.

BW
He’s 2nd in the league in goals. Only Ovechkin is ahead. Floats ftw!
Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 PM

Oilers finally win, and NOBODY even showed up to comment?? 4-1 over Wild? Bust a six game skid? Wow....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-07-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Oilers finally win, and NOBODY even showed up to comment?? 4-1 over Wild? Bust a six game skid? Wow....

Flames are losing and no oilers fans are chirping? Classy bunch....
Old 02-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Flames are losing and no oilers fans are chirping? Classy bunch....
Chirping an Oilers WIN? what??

Just wondering where the fans were. You'd think they would have been here cheering.

Relax. There is nothing I can possibly say about this team that would be worse than reality.

As for Flames, even IF they lose....still first in west and second overall.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Chirping an Oilers WIN? what??

Just wondering where the fans were. You'd think they would have been here cheering.

Relax. There is nothing I can possibly say about this team that would be worse than reality.

As for Flames, even IF they lose....still first in west and second overall.
Psst TC, we wanted to watch a "professional" hockey game tonight, so we were busy watching the Flames getting their *****'s kicked
Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Psst TC, we wanted to watch a "professional" hockey game tonight, so we were busy watching the Flames getting their *****'s kicked
Well enjoy it. That's some entertaining hockey!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
And if you want to watch an Alberta team in the playoffs, you will have to watch them again.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Banned

Oiler fans, this clip is absolute GOLD !! A guy called Jack called into the LoweTide show (TEAM 1260)Wednesday...PRICELESS audio...it's just plain ole funny..
https://soundcloud.com/thenielsonsho...e-lowdown-2719

Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Let's say the Flames lose....so they will only be 20 points ahead of the Oilers.

Going to be a close race.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Let's say the Flames lose....so they will only be 20 points ahead of the Oilers.

Going to be a close race.
Hahahaha
Old 02-07-2019, 09:22 PM

Dadgubbit!!!!!
I wuz out!!! Missed da game!

Looks like we got dat!!!
Good job boys!

2 points back!

Go Mighty Oil!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-07-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Oiler fans, this clip is absolute GOLD !! A guy called Jack called into the LoweTide show (TEAM 1260)Wednesday...PRICELESS audio...it's just plain ole funny..
https://soundcloud.com/thenielsonsho...e-lowdown-2719

Bahahaha