Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-05-2019, 03:54 PM

2 minutes from my house on the west side of Calgary. Giant piles of dung all along the local park pathways.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 PM

Someone saw a gbear near Leedale (south of Rimbey) today and my friend had a sow with cubs under his tree stand east of Stauffer a couple years ago.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-06-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Which bike path? I ride/jog down there almost every day... would have been nice to know exactly where it was.
I believe they (multiple bears) were between Woodbine and the Elbow Drive area, the corner of the park close to the Reserve.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/calgaryh...creek-park/amp
Old 09-06-2019, 06:37 AM

Sow and two cubs trapped right outside Warner on highway 4 south east of Lethbridge this summer.

There are multiple bears between Milk River, and Cardston.

Have even had a smaller black bear cross highway 3 infront of us on the east side of Fort Macleod 2 years ago.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Earlier this week in Zone 360, SW of High Prairie, chowing down on my in-laws wheat. Good sized bear too.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:17 AM

Saw one booting across the highway just about 10 mi south of Fort Mac about 7 years ago.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:58 PM

15Km south west of Rimbey.
Even had F&W tell us there was no way a Grizz would kill a calf, it had to be a wolf kill the Grizz just found, Laughed pretty good about that. They proceeded to tell us Grizz would only hunt native species and would never kill a cow or calf. Makes a lot of sense since the deer can jump fences and cows and calves are trapped.
They eventually got it in one of there traps and moved it, but most of the farmers that had lease land in the area were looking for it.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
15Km south west of Rimbey.
Even had F&W tell us there was no way a Grizz would kill a calf, it had to be a wolf kill the Grizz just found, Laughed pretty good about that. They proceeded to tell us Grizz would only hunt native species and would never kill a cow or calf. Makes a lot of sense since the deer can jump fences and cows and calves are trapped.
They eventually got it in one of there traps and moved it, but most of the farmers that had lease land in the area were looking for it.
Pretty much confirms that F&W officers aren't ranchers or cattlemen.

BW
Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 PM

Here’s the Rimbey bear burying some beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-08-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
I believe they (multiple bears) were between Woodbine and the Elbow Drive area, the corner of the park close to the Reserve.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/calgaryh...creek-park/amp
There is always so much bear crap all over the trails right now down there. Just looked like black bear to me and not grizz, and berries not a kill that was mentioned before.

Thanks for the link
Old 09-09-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Earlier this week in Zone 360, SW of High Prairie, chowing down on my in-laws wheat. Good sized bear too.
I've seen them in the very eastern portion of 360 and 351, its usually not hard to find grizz tracks along the Swan River. Its not uncommon for them to be found much further east into 350, right up to the Athabasca river. A neighbor has a trapline south of Mitsue Lk, and last winter he had one on his line that would periodically wake up for a winter stroll and smash his marten boxes open to get the bait.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Pretty much confirms that F&W officers aren't ranchers or cattlemen.

BW
Or even outdoorsmen of any real accomplishment in many cases
Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 AM

East of Cynthia on the pembina River. Also around Smith.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 AM

5 miles east of SWAN LAKE AB
Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 AM

We saw a grizzly sow with two large cubs just west of Buck Mountain in the Buck Mountain Grazing Reserve (332), Saturday morning.

I used to live next to this pasture and know it well. I've heard a couple reports over the years, on grizzly sightings there before, but never confirmed myself. Saturday morning confirmed it. Can only assume that they're killing beef calves in there this time of year.

Heard of cat sightings there but never seen one.
Wolves have always been there.
Not thrilled to see grizzlies roaming around in the pasture. We had walked the patch they came out of a few days earlier.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:31 PM

The Magrath golf course had a grizzly hanging around a few weeks ago. Saw a few real good pics and there was no mistaking that it was a griz. I grew up in Lethbridge (80's and early 90's) and spent a fair bit of time in Magrath playing baseball. Never would have considered griz being in the immediate area back then.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:37 PM

East of Conklin, Christina Lake.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:03 PM

A sow and cubs were involved in the killing of Robert Wagner, just across H 22 from me, uncomfortably close and kept the neighborhood on edge for a while.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 09-10-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:26 PM

Access road to Winifred Lake from Grist Lake WMU 517. They have also been known to periodically inhabit Cold Lake Air weapons Range WMU 726, although it is typically more common to see black bear.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:26 PM

Three creeks grazing reserve, northeast of Peace River. Riding pasture there o em summer and my horse seen it before I did!
Old 09-10-2020, 08:55 PM

North East of Athabasca not very far from town.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:17 PM

This is an old picture, Bass pro has it in it's entrance, taken east of Innisfail in the 1890s I believe. Pretty scrawny looking bear.

Grizz
Old 09-10-2020, 09:39 PM

There is a grizzly hanging out around Rocky Rapids close to Drayton Valley last week. F&W was monitoring the bear.

I have read about the grizzlies in the late 1800s.

In the late 1800's a man was hunting two grizzlies colse to Stony Plain. He killed one bear and the other bear killed him. This was a note mentioned in a local history book.

There is a place called Grizzly Bear Coulee an hour or so east of Edmonton on the North Saskatchewan river. In the late 1800's 2 men were hunted and killed by a grizzly bear there, thus the name of the coulee.

I predict grizzlies will be showing up at pigeon lake/battle lake area within a couple years. Pigeon lake is actually situated on the furthest east foothill descending onto the plains which would make it sort of a natural corridor.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-11-2020, 08:35 AM

As I understand grizzly bears are not native to the foothills or mountains. They where a plains animal that where push out of there habitat by encroaching people and the killing of the buffalo. I have been waiting for them to go back to there traditional territory just to see if the government would then deal with the overpopulation.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:39 AM

Over the years they have been spotted/shot up here and in the Conklin area .
There is a mount in the F&W office up here that was shot by an archer at House River IIRC
Cat
Old 09-11-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
As I understand grizzly bears are not native to the foothills or mountains. They where a plains animal that where push out of there habitat by encroaching people and the killing of the buffalo. I have been waiting for them to go back to there traditional territory just to see if the government would then deal with the overpopulation.
Nailed it! Dan Flores has some interesting writing and talks on the subject. His book "American Serengeti" is fantastic.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:20 PM

How about all the way to N Manitoba? In June 2015 an American hunter was fined $12,000 for killing a GB. I'm not good on computer skills but just google it.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450yukon View Post
How about all the way to N Manitoba? In June 2015 an American hunter was fined $12,000 for killing a GB. I'm not good on computer skills but just google it.
Think I remember that, it was a Barren Ground bear that wandered south.

Grizz
Old 09-11-2020, 01:30 PM

Prior to that one, DNR had a "no way" attitude but went out and put up scratching posts to collect hair samples and in a report last fall were amazed at the number of GB genetics that showed up.

There is also a rancher in SW Mb north of the Turtle Mtns that has seen a GB on occasions and says to know the difference from years spent out west on oil rigs.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post

Take a few minutes and think about that statement.

Are Grizzly bears not native to BC, or the Yukon, Alaska?

The population was continuous from central north america through the plains all the way to the west coast. The population continued/s up through Alaska and across the Bearing straight into Russia, all the way west to Europe......

Bears were not "Pushed" into the mountains.
All the prairie bears were killed, mainly for the purpose of setting up beef ranches, mountain bears remained.
And silly smart people came up with fantastic "facts" that others believed without any critical thinking or referring to historical records.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."