Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
oh lots, but, it's still illegal.
yes. we know. you asked if poaching critters was any different than having a puff. lol.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of laws that fit into that category, but, they are still illegal activities.

Such as?

I think the vast majority of Canadians believe the vast majority of our laws are just.

Reality is a majority (that appears to be growing over time) believes that the prohibition and legal penalties for marijuana possession are not just.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Banned

Yup. I know lots of casual users that you wouldn't be able to tell...and I know a few chronic users (aka: slowtalkers) that it's pretty obvious what they're up to first thing in the morning and whenever they get a chance. To each their own...whatever they wanna do to themselves is cool with me. I probably eat too much meat and butter and drink too much beer according to a lot of people.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Besides thinking it should be legalised,, currently it is not legal, and I accept that. But people keep posting as if imbibing in it is legal, which it is not (save for medical use).

Sure it's apples and oranges,, but by much of the reasoning here on it's use, I'm surprised when those same members get all up in arms when they witnessed a 62cm Pike being kept or a guy hunting a day before the season opens.

Somehow the law can be disregarded with pot,, sure it's harmless - but it is illegal -, sure pot dealers are mellow - but trafficking is currently illegal -, sure all walks of life use it - and they are breaking the law -.

Why is breaking the law acceptable in this regard but so adamantly upheld by members in other regards?

Because everybody knows it only illegal because our greedy governments can't profit from marijuana, at least not as much as alcohol and prescriptions. After oil, pharmaceuticals are the biggest economy in the world. People can't produce Prozac in their basements, therefore they have no choice but to buy it from a pharmaceutical corporation. whereas weed can be grown by anybody, almost anywhere. Most prescriptions are way worse for the human body than marijuana but they want to sell them to you anyways because they make billions of dollars off it. Why is tobacco legal? It kills millions of people every year and nicotine is a drug. It's legal for the same reason... people can't produce their own so they need to give their money to tobacco companies, which they then give a percent to our wonderfully honest government. There's a way bigger picture here that people don't like to open their eyes to, but what else is new in this world?...WAKE UP!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
oh lots, but, it's still illegal.
My response is simply because I choose to accept the repercussions of my actions.

It is illegal. If I get caught, I will take my punishment like a man.
Speeding is illegal. If I get caught, I pay my ticket.

I don't advocate it in the sense that what I'm doing is right or wrong. But it's my choice, and as such, have to be prepared for what happens as a result of my choice.

I will however defend the merits of it's legalities, and as we are now seeing, where others see the sense of it as well.

For many, they don't know why it's illegal to begin with. With some deep research, you will find that it was based on the hysterics of a influencing woman many years ago, who wrote a book I believe it was, stating that smoking marijuana will turn you into a homicidal maniac. The process that led to making marijuana illegal, was illegal.

But after 100 years or so, we're fixing at least one of our earlier mistakes.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Such as?

I think the vast majority of Canadians believe the vast majority of our laws are just.
Yes. I think that the fact that most laws are just makes people confuse law with morality. They stop believing they shouldn't break the law because the illegal act is inherently wrong and start believing they shouldn't break the law because breaking the law is wrong.

It would be logical to say it's unwise to break the law because punishment should be avoided, but not that it's wrong to break the law because you will be punished.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
[/B]

Because everybody knows it only illegal because our greedy governments can't profit from marijuana, at least not as much as alcohol and prescriptions. After oil, pharmaceuticals are the biggest economy in the world. People can't produce Prozac in their basements, therefore they have no choice but to buy it from a pharmaceutical corporation. whereas weed can be grown by anybody, almost anywhere. Most prescriptions are way worse for the human body than marijuana but they want to sell them to you anyways because they make billions of dollars off it. Why is tobacco legal? It kills millions of people every year and nicotine is a drug. It's legal for the same reason... people can't produce their own so they need to give their money to tobacco companies, which they then give a percent to our wonderfully honest government. There's a way bigger picture here that people don't like to open their eyes to, but what else is new in this world?...WAKE UP!!!
I humbly disagree. Our government would make a considerable amount of money by legalizing and taxing marijuana. Alcohol used to be illegal. You can make it in your basement. It provides a substantial source of revenue for our government.

Just because everyone will be able to do it, many won't due to the convenience of buying it at a store.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I humbly disagree. Our government would make a considerable amount of money by legalizing and taxing marijuana. Alcohol used to be illegal. You can make it in your basement. It provides a substantial source of revenue for our government.

Just because everyone will be able to do it, many won't due to the convenience of buying it at a store.

Cheers
No, no they wouldn't. People would rather support the hard working single father down the road who grows it (and grows it more potently) than give their money to the gov. If it were profitable for them it would already be fully legal and for sale everywhere, but it's not...why? And don't say because its harmful, meds are much worse and everybody knows it.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:01 PM

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263936.php

Study on THC harming an adolescent brain.

"New research may give backing to parents telling teens to "just say no." A study in mice from the University of Maryland School of Medicine reveals that regular use of marijuana during adolescence could damage brain function, potentially increasing the risk for schizophrenia and other psychiatric problems. "
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-17-2014, 03:03 PM

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0827091401.htm

Perception of marijuana as a 'safe drug' is scientifically inaccurate, finds review of teen brain studies

Date:August 27, 2013

Source:Universite de Montreal

Summary:The nature of the teenage brain makes users of cannabis amongst this population particularly at risk of developing addictive behaviors and suffering other long-term negative effects, according to researchers who reviewed over 120 studies.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
[/B]

You know what's great about the choir and preaching to it, and possibly the reason why we're still years behind on getting the pot-law changed? Because potheads are still telling their choir about the truth,, we know all this dude, focus your anger then work on changing the law, and stop believing that only you/potheads are awake/aware of the hypocrisy, it's boring and arrogant.

It's still illegal, what are you doing to change this?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0827091401.htm

Perception of marijuana as a 'safe drug' is scientifically inaccurate, finds review of teen brain studies

Date:August 27, 2013

Source:Universite de Montreal

Summary:The nature of the teenage brain makes users of cannabis amongst this population particularly at risk of developing addictive behaviors and suffering other long-term negative effects, according to researchers who reviewed over 120 studies.
Sundance....are you completely incapable of coming up with something of your own instead of copying and pasting all these ridiculous studies? Try and come up with a perspective of your own, based on experience and knowledge, not internet studies. Theres a million studies that show it isn't harmful but im not gonna post them because anybody with EXPERIENCE already knows this.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=Gust;2407423]You know what's great about the choir and preaching to it, and possibly the reason why we're still years behind on getting the pot-law changed? Because potheads are still telling their choir about the truth,, we know all this dude, focus your anger then work on changing the law, and stop believing that only you/potheads are awake/aware of the hypocrisy, it's boring and arrogant.

It's still illegal, what are you doing to change this?[/QUOTE]

There's not a whole lot a single working ant like myself could do. There has been rallies and movements for years and years but the government still ignores it. The only ones who can change this ridiculous law are the ones that enforce it!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263936.php

Study on CO2 harming the environment.

"New research may give backing to parents telling teens to "ride your bike." A study in carbon deposits from the Arctic ice core samples reveals that regular use of diesel combustion during peak demand could damage air quality, potentially increasing the risk for emphysema and other cardio pulmonary respiratory problems. "
just having some fun
Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=SKSniper;2407431]
Quote:
You know what's great about the choir and preaching to it, and possibly the reason why we're still years behind on getting the pot-law changed? Because potheads are still telling their choir about the truth,, we know all this dude, focus your anger then work on changing the law, and stop believing that only you/potheads are awake/aware of the hypocrisy, it's boring and arrogant.

It's still illegal, what are you doing to change this?[/QUOTE]

There's not a whole lot a single working ant like myself could do. There has been rallies and movements for years and years but the government still ignores it. The only ones who can change this ridiculous law are the ones that enforce it!
Why don't they change it then? Did you post a conspiracy theory with big pharma? Was it based on your own experience dealing with Big Pharma?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually there is,, did you read the article on my friend Bill Small,, one small ant.

http://www.rave.ca/en/news_info/157758/canada/

Placards and marches do nothing,, do you have friends who are lawyers or studying law, friends who have English Majors or a PHD in history,, have them over for a BBQ or for pizza and put your heads together on a challenge to a portion of the law that will open up arguments in other parts of the law, which chisels that big law down into hopeless bits. Lotsa ways, you just need to make a motion to challenge.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:24 PM

Booze is legal and controlled. Marijuana is not. Bootlegging booze is not profitable, selling marijuana is. Legalize marijuana and make it harder for kids to get. Pot is easy to find for anyone, may as well legalize it and make a few bucks. The Governments are trying to find ways to entice the younger generation to waste their money on lottery tickets that are not as popular as they once were. In a few people that could lead to a gambling addiction which is a bitch. A few will abuse pot too, we can't play big brother to everybody.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Banned

Wink The smoker you drink, the player you get.

Not that I like to back this play, but I want to point out the original post had to do with the effect of use of marijuana on the adolescent brain in spite of the inflammatory title given to it by the more educated among us...

Given that I presume that we are all adult here, please make these same arguments in regards to your school-age children using pot before they get a chance to quit that scene and take up something more lucrative.

Like an oilpatch laboring job. Stoned, but armed with more "rights" than the long timers that gave up on the pot when they had to start buying this homegrown, overpriced chemicalized version of the truth.

I agree that we have all read these arguments and it has become predictable as to who will say what in this debate. But none of you fellas seem to care that young minds might be altered by the inescapable truth that education is a terrible price to pay for bankruptcy.

Free (to make as much sense as that other gibberish)
Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 PM

The original study Sundance posted is likely biased and was more a study looking to validate an idea then a true piece of independent research. Look at who funded the study... might as well be the DEA.

So, if we read the Cliff's Notes SDF supplied, smoking marijuana as a youth increases the risk of schizophrenia.... well, somebody has been smoking something all right. This is the same kind of "research" and fear mongering that was used to make marijuana illegal in the first place, and is used by the anti-marijuana zealots (like SDF) to desperately try and convince the general public that the sky is falling.

Pathetic and laughable.

You know what is the real "danger" in marijuana use? The real danger is that when kids, who have been told that marijuana will turn them into _______ (fill in the blank: violent, stupid, addicted, schizophrenic, impotent, sexual deviant.... ) have a toke with their friends (who don't exhibit the above fears), they realize that the people who told them "drugs are bad" are ignorant liars. They may think "if they lied to me about weed, what other drugs did they lie to me about?".

There is lots of well funded "drug research" out there, and SDF will continue to spout this propaganda. There is no convincing him that he is ignorant; that he knows not about what he speaks. Cognitive dissonance for all to see.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 PM

This is my last post on this useless, biased thread. Here's my opinion and views from recent experience on the whole thing. I was not a happy individual during my high school time due mainly to me not getting along with my mother or my brother too well at the time. I was still living in Saskatchewan where I was born and my father had lived in Edmonton ever since their separation when I was 7. I ended up smoking too much weed, starting in grade 10. By the end of grade 11 I was smoking it probably 5 times a day and it definitely started to have negative effects on my brain, short term memory loss and paranoia to name a few. I moved to my fathers in the summer after grade 11 and cut back to smoking it maybe 3-4 times a week as opposed to 4 times a day. Very quickly I noticed the negative effects started to go away. It's 5 years later and I have been responsibly and reasonably smoking it ever since. I never quit, just cut way back. I'm now 22, have my own company (subcontractor) and have recently been approved for a mortgage. I'm doing just fine in life, if you were to ask the people on this site that I have met in person through firearm sales I can guarantee they would have not taken me for a smoker, not in a million years. I guess my whole point is anything is bad for you if you consume too much: weed, beer, fast food, tanning beds etc etc etc. But if consumed in moderation it probably wont kill you... ok, the beer, fast food and tanning beds might but not marijuana.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Sundance....are you completely incapable of coming up with something of your own instead of copying and pasting all these ridiculous studies? Try and come up with a perspective of your own, based on experience and knowledge, not internet studies. Theres a million studies that show it isn't harmful but im not gonna post them because anybody with EXPERIENCE already knows this.
Read all my posts. Clearly you cherry picked. I grew up in a rough neighbourhood. Drugs were very common in certain circles within that community.

I have a large amount of exposure to the drug culture of which you are unaware of. You may wish to demean my opinion but realize I am not the only one in this thread that sees studies as interesting facts to an interesting debate.

Science shows a negative affect on the brain. Someone else says they smoke pot and are super intelligent as well. Others see users as dangerous or ineffectual workers. Someone else suggested they may be born ineffectual and smoking pot did not cause it.

Your contribution to the OP is? Does pot cause harm or not?

Fact is many studies have been biased to proving on side or another.

Now with legal use better studies are going to keep coming.

What CNN's report on pot. It was fair. Pointed out pros and cons.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-17-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:47 PM

Talking

pot smokin ,,,grows brain cells,,,in moderation
Old 04-17-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
This is my last post on this useless, biased thread. Here's my opinion and views from recent experience on the whole thing. I was not a happy individual during my high school time due mainly to me not getting along with my mother or my brother too well at the time. I was still living in Saskatchewan where I was born and my father had lived in Edmonton ever since their separation when I was 7. I ended up smoking too much weed, starting in grade 10. By the end of grade 11 I was smoking it probably 5 times a day and it definitely started to have negative effects on my brain, short term memory loss and paranoia to name a few. I moved to my fathers in the summer after grade 11 and cut back to smoking it maybe 3-4 times a week as opposed to 4 times a day. Very quickly I noticed the negative effects started to go away. It's 5 years later and I have been responsibly and reasonably smoking it ever since. I never quit, just cut way back. I'm now 22, have my own company (subcontractor) and have recently been approved for a mortgage. I'm doing just fine in life, if you were to ask the people on this site that I have met in person through firearm sales I can guarantee they would have not taken me for a smoker, not in a million years. I guess my whole point is anything is bad for you if you consume too much: weed, beer, fast food, tanning beds etc etc etc. But if consumed in moderation it probably wont kill you... ok, the beer, fast food and tanning beds might but not marijuana.
It's only as useless and biased as the input it receives. Don't be bitter, present your side of the argument, respect the other.

There is no single person here or anywhere that know a great deal about marijuana and it's affects. Why? Because there's not enough data to truly support one side or the other. The same can be said about an endless amount of other subjects. As science improves, technology, etc, new things are discovered. It wasn't all that long ago that the earth was flat and the sun orbited us, and people were killed for thinking a different way, and not listening, just reacting.

Your experiences are an excellent source of information. Unfortunately, as individuals, we don't all experience things the same way.

So contribute, don't get so upset.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
There is no single person here or anywhere that know a great deal about marijuana and it's affects.
Well........ there is one guy......
Old 04-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
This is my last post on this useless, biased thread.
You are irritated and upset by the topic - you need to smoke more pot and fix your attitude.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
This was a good post. I liked your honesty on why you started using. No one can feel the way you did back then as you had it tough.

It was honest that you showed that yes...pot does cause harm. You qualified that with when it was smoked in excess. Now you smoke but much, much less and you feel there is less of the negative effects you saw earlier.

I would ask an honest question...how long ago were you smoking so much that you felt it was hurting you?

I only ask because pot has been getting stronger and stronger. It is now way stronger.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/v...stionID=000336

[Editor's Note: The University of Mississippi's Potency Monitoring Project (UMPMC) tested seized marijuana from all 50 states to determine the percentage of THC, the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

The average potency of all marijuana in the US, according to the UMPMC's Dec. 2008 – Mar. 2009 quarterly report, was 8.52% (5.62% domestic and 9.57% nondomestic).

The highest tested sample had 22.04% THC (domestic) and 27.30% THC (nondomestic). The highest tested sample ever tested between 1975 and 2009 had 33.12% THC (domestic) and 37.20% THC (nondomestic).

For comparison, the national average of marijuana's THC content in 1978 was 1.37%, in 1988 it was 3.59%, in 1998 4.43%, and in 2008 8.49%.

Smoking 5 joints a day in 1978 is like smoking 1 joint today. You can even find stuff 20 times stronger. It helps me to see where you are coming from.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Banned

I feel we could get a better handle on member replies in regards to this topic if we had a little background information from the members replying. From this point on all replies should start with the member checking off one of the following:

😈I smoke pot. (< 1 joint per week.) I am the epitome of mental health!!!!

😈I smoke pot once in a while. (> 1 joint per week.)

😈I smoke some pot. (< 1 joint per day but have been known to drop a little acid now and then.)

😈I smoke a little pot. (> 10 joints per week.)

😈I smoke pot every now and then. (I like to have the odd bong party.)

😈I smoke a ton of pot. (I like to use a vaporizer because it's healthy.)

😈I smoke way much pot munch pot. (I like to have the odd bong party, I like to use a vaporizer, and favor men in pink undies.)

😈I smoke pot day and night. (I like to have the odd bong party, I like to use a vaporizer, and favor women in mens undies, and think twinkies are the bomb.)

😈I smoke pot day and night, think I may be schizophrenic, and hallucinate that Sundancefisher is the evil reincarnation of my last psychiatrist.

😈I quit smoking pot but still have my 1/2 acre Quonset hut filled with plants.

😈I don't smoke pot.

😈I quit smoking pot < 1 year ago.

😈I quit smoking pot > 1 year ago.

😈I quit smoking pot but can't remember when.

😈I quit smoking pot > 5 years ago, now I feel like a left out loser.

😈I quit smoking pot and need a hoot after reading through this.

😈Pot's illegal??

😈I made over $100000 tax free selling dope last year.

😈I quit smoking pot but took up Majic Mushrooms. I now live on North Vancouver Island.

😈I am completely against smoking pot but have fun feeding the dog a bud now and then.

😈I grow pot in my basement but tell the Canada Revenue Agency I tie flies for a living.

😈My bong gets washed more than my underwear.

😈I get my buddy Jim mixed up with my pot holder.

😈I studied five days for a urine test
Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
This was a good post. I liked your honesty on why you started using. No one can feel the way you did back then as you had it tough.

It was honest that you showed that yes...pot does cause harm. You qualified that with when it was smoked in excess. Now you smoke but much, much less and you feel there is less of the negative effects you saw earlier.

I would ask an honest question...how long ago were you smoking so much that you felt it was hurting you?

I only ask because pot has been getting stronger and stronger. It is now way stronger.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/v...stionID=000336

[Editor's Note: The University of Mississippi's Potency Monitoring Project (UMPMC) tested seized marijuana from all 50 states to determine the percentage of THC, the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

The average potency of all marijuana in the US, according to the UMPMC's Dec. 2008 – Mar. 2009 quarterly report, was 8.52% (5.62% domestic and 9.57% nondomestic).

The highest tested sample had 22.04% THC (domestic) and 27.30% THC (nondomestic). The highest tested sample ever tested between 1975 and 2009 had 33.12% THC (domestic) and 37.20% THC (nondomestic).

For comparison, the national average of marijuana's THC content in 1978 was 1.37%, in 1988 it was 3.59%, in 1998 4.43%, and in 2008 8.49%.

Smoking 5 joints a day in 1978 is like smoking 1 joint today. You can even find stuff 20 times stronger. It helps me to see where you are coming from.
SDF..... pot is stronger today then it was in the 70s yes.....lets say 10x stronger for sake of argument....all that means is.....instead of sitting back and smoking a couple cannons(big fat joints) to get high, these days the people are smoking a 1/3 or maybe 1/2 a small joint to get high.....it doesn't mean they are getting 10x higher. lol......In fact, the stronger pot(really high thc content) is way better for people as they are putting way less into their lungs!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Well........ there is one guy......
Touche!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:15 PM

Back in the 70s, regular old "Commercial" Mexican weed was $20 /ounce. Once you picked out the stems and seeds you were lucky to have a lid. It wasn't very strong and large quantities could be smoked. For that same $20 you could get Thai stick, essentially one bud. It was 2 toke weed back then and every bit as strong as today's hydro. Hash and oil were more readily available back then as well, very high THC contents. Marijuana has not been subjected to genetic modification but it has been and still is used by fear-mongers. Young people should not consume it I agree, same as booze. Parents keep your kids busy.