Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 08:54 AM

Well that was worth the $8.00 cable channel subscription.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:56 AM

I did good sir. See I’m going to have to restock the cupboards. Oh man sooo excited. 31 long Fricken years. Yahhh baby! Let it go 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Missed the third b/c mah brain owie.

BOA!

Yasss! Bring it!!

Pixel… lemme know if ya gots the bottle $.

Sorry I dint settle last night.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2022, 09:29 AM

Smith hasn't been hurt in 5 or 6 weeks, so he's due any game now, but his 2.29 GAA and .938 SA% looks downright appealing to face right about now!

Dare I say Flames in 5.....

On paper I think the Kings were by far the worst team in the playoffs, and the Oilers barely squeaked by them. Maybe Oil fans are saying the same thing, but of the 8 teams left, if I had to pick a team for Calgary to play, it would be Edmonton.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:01 AM

Default Those were the days my friends

Now we go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ralph.jpg (24.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 05-16-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Smith hasn't been hurt in 5 or 6 weeks, so he's due any game now, but his 2.29 GAA and .938 SA% looks downright appealing to face right about now!

Dare I say Flames in 5.....

On paper I think the Kings were by far the worst team in the playoffs, and the Oilers barely squeaked by them. Maybe Oil fans are saying the same thing, but of the 8 teams left, if I had to pick a team for Calgary to play, it would be Edmonton.
On paper means squat in the playoffs. Didn't Calgary go to game 7 against the Stars and have to win it in ot? I remember a few years back when Tampa Bay ran away with the President's trophy and lost 4 straight in the first round. On paper they were supposed to win but that wasn't the case in the playoffs. In 2019 when the Blues won the cup, when Craig Berube took over as interim coach I believe the Blues were the last in the league. They made it into the playoffs and eventually won the cup. "On paper" they shouldn't have even been in the conversation so what does that tell you.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
On paper means squat in the playoffs. Didn't Calgary go to game 7 against the Stars and have to win it in ot? I remember a few years back when Tampa Bay ran away with the President's trophy and lost 4 straight in the first round. On paper they were supposed to win but that wasn't the case in the playoffs. In 2019 when the Blues won the cup, when Craig Berube took over as interim coach I believe the Blues were the last in the league. They made it into the playoffs and eventually won the cup. "On paper" they shouldn't have even been in the conversation so what does that tell you.
You can include my Habs last year in the "on paper" team although they lost on game 5 final.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
Now we go!
>>
Great pic! Thank you for sharing that one.

Man, good ol days they were, weren't they.

Wonder if the Mayors will put up a friendly wager? Probably not, as someone might get their thin-skinned feelings hurt. Oh brother
Old 05-16-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
Great pic! Thank you for sharing that one.

Man, good ol days they were, weren't they.

Wonder if the Mayors will put up a friendly wager? Probably not, as someone might get their thin-skinned feelings hurt. Oh brother
She on “Thin Ice” already…..
Old 05-16-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
No, in a few cases it means squat, the majority it does not. By all means, believe the Oiler would have had better luck against Colorado if you'd like.

Sidenote, following a significant shake up to the team, you don't think a team that goes 30-10-5, a 0.81 win %, should be in the conversation? I'd say that team should be a favorite.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Sidenote, following a significant shake up to the team, you don't think a team that goes 30-10-5, a 0.81 win %, should be in the conversation? I'd say that team should be a favorite.
Oil are right there too since woodcraft took over…

He's coached the Oilers to a 26-9-3 record under his watch with a .724 points percentage that ranks third in the league over that time.May 3, 2022
https://oilersnation.com › 2022/05/02
Old 05-17-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
No, in a few cases it means squat, the majority it does not. By all means, believe the Oiler would have had better luck against Colorado if you'd like.

As opposed to Calgary? It's hard to predict how a series will go. You can assume how it will go because of how they look "on paper" but that's not how it works in real life. Time will tell.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
As opposed to Calgary? It's hard to predict how a series will go. You can assume how it will go because of how they look "on paper" but that's not how it works in real life. Time will tell.
So true....time will tell...too many variables come into play post season....this is the nhl on steroids and any team that makes it this far can take it all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-17-2022, 03:36 PM

And the first round can often be the toughest...... just not on paper!!!
Old 05-17-2022, 04:24 PM

There are several reasons why they play the games, I guess. As discussed, the “on paper” factor is merely paper.
I’m just looking forward to catching some of this. Been far too long for this provincial fan base. Gonna try not to get too involved with the banter and the analysis and just enjoy what it plays out to be. It could be one for the ages.

Really too bad the games don’t start at 7pm sharp ... I can barely stay up late enough haha
Old 05-17-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
There are several reasons why they play the games, I guess. As discussed, the “on paper” factor is merely paper.
I’m just looking forward to catching some of this. Been far too long for this provincial fan base. Gonna try not to get too involved with the banter and the analysis and just enjoy what it plays out to be. It could be one for the ages.

Really too bad the games don’t start at 7pm sharp ... I can barely stay up late enough haha
Better stay up. This maybe once in a quarter century moment. +25 years. Will be approaching 75…….yikes.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:02 AM

Man Colorado looks good. 12 minutes of OT and they outshot St. Louis 13-0.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:33 AM

LOL....

"on paper" .....

You keep thinking Flamers are the better team "on paper"...... that works

"This isn't a math test"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAunKCIrDwo

Anyone who's ever been in any kind of higher stakes athletic match gets this... totally.

Go Mighty OIL!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-18-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
LOL....

"on paper" .....

"This isn't a math test"

Anyone who's ever been in any kind of higher stakes athletic match gets this... totally.
Guess you're right, the Kings are a powerhouse that everyone had called to win the cup! Also surprised that Colorado made it through the first round, thought for sure they would be eliminated...
Old 05-18-2022, 09:41 AM

Default heh

Quote:
Guess you're right, the Kings are a powerhouse that everyone had called to win the cup! Also surprised that Colorado made it through the first round, thought for sure they would be eliminated...
yup... we jus shouldn't play them games..... keep cherry picking...

That bottle gon taste soooo good now that's been christened 'underdog bnooze'
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-18-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
As opposed to powerhouse Dallas? Didn't the Flames have to go to OT in game seven to win the series?
Old 05-18-2022, 10:10 AM

Seems like some Soiler fans already got the BOA thread shut down after only 3 pages. Excellent!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
LOL....

"on paper" .....

"This isn't a math test"

Go Mighty OIL!!
Realistically, if the Referees don't call bad penalties and the game stays 5v5, Calgary should close this out in 5 or 6 games. The only way this series stays competitive is if the referee's Keep Edmonton on the powerplay.

Calgary Dominated Dallas but their Goalie was hotter than fresh coals. It happens.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Realistically, if the Referees don't call bad penalties and the game stays 5v5, Calgary should close this out in 5 or 6 games. The only way this series stays competitive is if the referee's Keep Edmonton on the powerplay.

Calgary Dominated Dallas but their Goalie was hotter than fresh coals. It happens.
Sure it happens, that's why how a team looks on paper means squat. That's why you play the games and not award the series to the team who "looks" better on paper.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Seems like some Soiler fans already got the BOA thread shut down after only 3 pages. Excellent!
They do seem a bit restless. Calgary fans know better. Been there done that.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
yup... we jus shouldn't play them games..... keep cherry picking...

That bottle gon taste soooo good now that's been christened 'underdog bnooze'
I have a feeling, without going back and reading it, that you don't even know what my point is/was. Just cherry picked a fragment of one of my posts are ran with it. Carry on I suppose...
Old 05-18-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling, without going back and reading it, that you don't even know what my point is/was. Just cherry picked a fragment of one of my posts are ran with it. Carry on I suppose...
I going admit that I am in the same boat as Bessie and have no idea what your point is either!
Old 05-18-2022, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
when i went back a re-read that thread, i couldn't figure out why it was closed. did something go on behind the scenes that us mere mortals don't get to see?....it didn't seem like a sh*t show to me.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I going admit that I am in the same boat as Bessie and have no idea what your point is either!
It was, in essence, that "on paper" I thought the Kings were the worst team to make the playoffs. Yes, they had more points than some other teams, but they got alot of those points when they arguably had the best player on their team still on the roster, which he was not for the playoffs. Some people apparently took offense to that and thought the Kings were going to win the cup. That, and that "on paper", I'd rather the Flames play Edmonton in the second round than Colorado.

Had absolutely nothing to do with Oilers being the underdogs, Flames beating the Oilers, awarding the cup without playing the games, it being a math test, what level of sports I've played, etc.

Since Woodcroft took over, this series appears to be fairly evenly matched.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It was, in essence, that "on paper" I thought the Kings were the worst team to make the playoffs. Yes, they had more points than some other teams, but they got alot of those points when they arguably had the best player on their team still on the roster, which he was not for the playoffs. Some people apparently took offense to that and thought the Kings were going to win the cup. That, and that "on paper", I'd rather the Flames play Edmonton in the second round than Colorado.

Had absolutely nothing to do with Oilers being the underdogs, Flames beating the Oilers, awarding the cup without playing the games, it being a math test, what level of sports I've played, etc.

Since Woodcroft took over, this series appears to be fairly evenly matched.
That makes sense... I believe it will be a barn burner as well.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Injuries may play a part too with lots of speculation out there right now about Drisaitl. Is the ankle going to hold up, is he at 75% even, ok, he got shot up for a game 7, can he keep doing that for a series if required, was he placed on McDavid's line as he doesn't have the ability to drive his own line right now, etc.

Good to see that Tanev is apparently back none the worse for wear!
Closed Thread