Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2023, 08:59 AM

I don't know what you fellas do for a sheath when it's missing. I make em outta cardboard and electrical tape, and spray the inside down. They fit tight, and stop corrosion. Chuck em in the bag and go. Easy peasy.

Son got given a Katz Black Kat Yukon knife, and I threw an edge on it, and it’s ready to break down legs, and be used as a pry bar when needed

Sent from my MP24 using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2023, 11:16 AM

Well, got pics of my knife from Clint Chisan. Turned out exactly how I was hoping. 3.75" Skinner pattern. Full flat grind on the thinnest Magnacut bar stock I was able to find. It's .094", so will be nice and slicy, and stainless Corby bolts.

Clint was an absolute pleasure to work with. No more of my knife loot will be going stateside anymore.

Can't wait to get er in my mitts.

Last edited by sns2; 11-01-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:35 AM

Default Knife

Beautiful knife hope you enjoy it.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:36 AM

Since you started this thread, I've purchased 4 of Clint's knives, great knives, hold an edge, easy to keep sharp and imho best bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Well, got pics of my knife from Clint Chisan. Turned out exactly how I was hoping. 3.75" Skinner pattern. Full flat grind on the thinnest Magnacut bar stock I was able to find. It's .094", so will be nice and slicy, and stainless Corby bolts.

Clint was an absolute pleasure to work with. No more of my knife loot will be going stateside anymore.

Old 11-01-2023, 11:44 AM

I agree. He offers great value.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:49 PM

Fantastic looking knife!
Old 11-01-2023, 09:30 PM

Very nice knife! Congrats!

Quote:

Old 11-01-2023, 11:10 PM

Good choice on the thinner stock, imo. With flat grind this is the way to go. Thinner stock is available, but you would have to order it from the land of the free and that would add a bit to cost. I was looking at 0.067” (the last digit may be different); then went completely different masochistic route, lol.

The knife looks great.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Good choice on the thinner stock, imo. With flat grind this is the way to go. Thinner stock is available, but you would have to order it from the land of the free and that would add a bit to cost. I was looking at 0.067” (the last digit may be different); then went completely different masochistic route, lol.

The knife looks great.

These guys(Calgary) have the thinner stuff (.065):

https://knifemakerdirect.ca/collecti...s/cpm-magnacut

And sns2...this is a fine looking knife. Clint is an excellent maker...
Old 11-02-2023, 06:11 AM

Oh wow, that’s a beauty! I have to stop looking at this thread because every time I see a new knife on here I want one lol

Quote:

Old 11-02-2023, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=Phil McCracken;4672759
And sns2...this is a fine looking knife. Clint is an excellent maker...[/QUOTE]

Now I’m happy to say that I have custom knives from each of the two Canadian makers on this thread, yourself and Clint, and I’m tickled pink with both.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:

That knife looks about perfect in every way!
Let me know when you are going to sell it lol my brother is looking to buy a knife just like it
Old 11-02-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
That knife looks about perfect in every way!
Let me know when you are going to sell it lol my brother is looking to buy a knife just like it
Never gonna sell it. I am a hoarder who holds on to things way too long. Some guys sell stuff. I keep it forever.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Never gonna sell it. I am a hoarder who holds on to things way too long. Some guys sell stuff. I keep it forever.
Lol
Old 11-02-2023, 03:58 PM

Wha Hahaha! should be up in a week or two!

Quote:
Old 11-02-2023, 06:37 PM

So my next project.

Recently got ahold of some very nice dry maple burls. I sliced some up and the grain is absolutely awesome. Therefore, this will be my next one.

I have epoxied G10 orange liners on the scales. They will be married up with a CPM Magnacut semi skinner blade that I like to do. Will top it off with brass pins.

Me think it will look pretty good...

Old 11-03-2023, 08:44 AM

Put my Chisan knife to work last night. Skins really well but I wish the blade was longer personally.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:42 PM

Well you know what you like!
Old 11-05-2023, 08:36 AM

Clint has a couple magnacut boning knives and a skinner listed on cgn.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:54 AM

Well, I like the first knife I got from Clint so much that I'm having him make me a bird and trout, well actually a goose/walleye knife. My Menefee Dumpling was perfect for those two tasks, so I asked Clint if he could do me his version of that design. He did me a sketch and I'm tickled pink. Gonna be a nice matching set of knives I have from Clint.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:30 AM

magnacut?

Quote:
Well, I like the first knife I got from Clint so much that I'm having him make me a bird and trout, well actually a goose/walleye knife. My Menefee Dumpling was perfect for those two tasks, so I asked Clint if he could do me his version of that design. He did me a sketch and I'm tickled pink. Gonna be a nice matching set of knives I have from Clint.

Last edited by badbrass; 11-07-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
magmacut?
Yes, Magnacut. When a guy comes right down to it, Magnacut really is the most balanced steel out there.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=sns2;4674193]Yes, Magnacut. When a guy comes right down to it, Magnacut really is the most balanced steel out there.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a great knife! What’s the blade length you asked for?
Old 11-07-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
[QUOTE=sns2;4674193]Yes, Magnacut. When a guy comes right down to it, Magnacut really is the most balanced steel out there.
Looks like a great knife! What’s the blade length you asked for?[/QUOTE]

5”

My Dumpling was 4.5”, but when fish were in the kill pile, I found myself wishing for a touch more length.

I am damn happy that I finally ordered a knife fro Clint. What an easy guy to work with. Communication is excellent. With Menefee and Crotts, you almost had to beg to have them make you a knife, and communication was sorely lacking. Clint is polar opposite. Breath of fresh air he is.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:04 AM

I will agree!
Quote:
Looks like a great knife! What’s the blade length you asked for?
5”

My Dumpling was 4.5”, but when fish were in the kill pile, I found myself wishing for a touch more length.

I am damn happy that I finally ordered a knife fro Clint. What an easy guy to work with. Communication is excellent. With Menefee and Crotts, you almost had to beg to have them make you a knife, and communication was sorely lacking. Clint is polar opposite. Breath of fresh air he is.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-07-2023, 09:11 AM

Default Skinning knife

The best knife out of the half dozen or so, is the beavcoon yes the beavcoon I bought from halford’s 40 years ago. It doesn’t look like much, but by far the best skinning knife I own. As a chef for 43 years I know a thing or two about knives.

This knife was under $100.00 back in 1980. You won’t go wrong buying this knife 👍.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
5”

What do you mean “was”? Has it also moved to some “better” hands?

Quote:
I am damn happy that I finally ordered a knife fro Clint. What an easy guy to work with. Communication is excellent. With Menefee and Crotts, you almost had to beg to have them make you a knife, and communication was sorely lacking. Clint is polar opposite. Breath of fresh air he is.
This is why I moved in a different direction on essentially the same knife. When a guy doesn’t reply to your email a couple or few times, it is time to move on to someone who will. Glad to hear Clint is a good guy.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:

I love that design!
Old 11-07-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
What do you mean “was”? Has it also moved to some “better” hands? .
I got $650 for it, which is what I paid, so I sold it. You can always order another, right.

I wanted to try one of Clint’s because I was so impressed by my buddy’s knife from him.

I also found myself worrying about it rusting, so down the road she went.

I am confident that what Clint will produce will be very similar in design, of equal quality, and with much better steel. And I will have a killer matching set.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:54 PM

^ You have made the right choice, there is 100% no doubt about it on my part. I just thought you said that one was a keeper, lol.

A2 is a very subpar and very inexpensive steel that is easy to grind, has very forgiving heat treatment, and very easy to sharpen. There is about zero reasons to use it in knife making when we are talking about high performance knives. It has poor edge retention and just above average toughness and it rusts easier than most other steels (carbon steels aside). It’s like if we were talking about performance vehicles, someone brought up a Lada because it is cheap to begin with and easy to work on through out the lifetime of the vehicle, while the amount of actual work involved is much higher due to constant maintenance requirements. Basically, you would be much better off with a whole bunch of other (stainless) steels if toughness was a concern that are often used for kitchen cutlery, such as AEBL, NitroV, etc and are also inexpensive, but a lot tougher. But we aren’t (or shouldn’t be) concerned with toughness as much as we should be with edge retention on a hunting knife. Pretty much every other steel is superior to A2, carbon steels aside. Even for a fillet and boning knives, you aren’t going to be chopping bones aside from fairly gentle fish ribs and whatnot. There is still an argument against A2 to use in fillet knife because it stains and rust easily; and back to the edge retention. I guess the point being, I was surprised when you said A2 back when you got it (think I may have even said along the lines? Haha). Especially given the price.

Anyway, Magnacut is an excellent choice: it is plenty tough (>A2), good edge retention (>>A2), and it is plenty stainless (>>>>>A2). This is what I was going to ask Dan make me a semi skinner out of, before he stopped replying, lol.