Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Like I've said before I like to share. Alberta shares with everybody else in the hunting world and almost every other country that has sustainable hunting shares with us.
Overall residents get 95% or so of the draw tags and Outfitters get 5%. Some areas more, some areas less.

But if we get greedy and don't share then where are we ? 40-60 more resident tags for 36,000 applicants ? Pffft !!!

What if every other country did the same and we couldn't travel to hunt ? Some say who cares, I never hunt out of province anyway. Kind of selfish don't you think ?

What about the families that depend on outfitting to put food on the table ? For the last 80-90 years families have been calling this their profession.
One guy calls us leeches ! One guy says get a real job ! One guy says who facking cares about those greedy bastards !
Well my boy sure cares about dad being able to provide for us, and so does my wife !
And just remember that if you look around just a little somebody out there would likely disagree with how you feed your family too !

Everybody shares a small percentage, and that's the way it should be ! Stop being so dam greedy and consider everybody for a minute. Your neighbor down the street, your neighbor to the east in Canada, your neighbor south of the border in the US, and your neighbor across the pond overseas.
We share with them, they share with us !
We could simply share the excess game, as in any species that can be hunted with a general tag in that wmu. We would still be sharing, and doing so would not deny any Albertans the opportunity to hunt that animal in our province.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Ffs, reading comprehension again.
Oh I have no problem with reading comprehension at all. I know exactly what I read and what I meant.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 PM
Banned

There is no way that resident opportunity should ever come before non residents and your business. I get that.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We could simply share the excess game, as in any species that can be hunted with a general tag in that wmu. We would still be sharing, and doing so would not deny any Albertans the opportunity to hunt that animal in our province.
So having 95% of the game is not enough? You really need another 2-3% ?

I guess that's better then the guys who want the whole remaining 5%

Not greedy at all 🙁
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
There is no way that resident opportunity should ever come before non residents and your business. I get that.
95% of it does, as it should

We just want the 5% we have to keep going
Old 07-31-2017, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
95% of it does, as it should

We just want the 5% we have to keep going
Where you getting 5% from?

I have 66 outfitter allocations and 675 total draw tags.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
So having 95% of the game is not enough? You really need another 2-3% ?

I guess that's better then the guys who want the whole remaining 5%

Not greedy at all 🙁
It's greedy to deny some Alberta residents the opportunity to ever hunt pronghorns in their home province in order for an outfitter to make a profit by selling that opportunity to a non resident.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 PM

Default Weird

There are only a couple of folks crying foul on here, and the way they hero type reassures me they are in exactly the right organization, with like minded individuals, APOS. If watching this bad mouthing name calling BS has done anything for me, it's that it has rejuvenated my luster to get on the heels of my MLA's and put the spot light on the selling of Alberta's wildlife, and I appreciate that!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Where you getting 5% from?

I have 66 outfitter allocations and 675 total draw tags.
That would be overall

Your last rant was about Mule Deer, so I wasn't limiting my scope to just Antelope.

But focusing on the negative seems to be the norm. You're all so blinded by greed and your wanting everything for yourself that you're missing out on all you already have.

A priority draw system and a pile of different species to hunt, many of them the largest species available to hunt anywhere!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
That would be overall

Your last rant was about Mule Deer, so I wasn't limiting my scope to just Antelope.

But focusing on the negative seems to be the norm. You're all so blinded by greed and your wanting everything for yourself that you're missing out on all you already have.

A priority draw system and a pile of different species to hunt, many of them the largest species available to hunt anywhere!
Oddly enough the people that keep calling other people greedy, are the ones that are making a profit by selling hunting opportunity to non residents.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
It's greedy to deny some Alberta residents the opportunity to ever hunt pronghorns in their home province in order for an outfitter to make a profit by selling that opportunity to a non resident.
Outfitter or not, the problem exists regardless.

Take every NR allocation away and ad one more year of new residents to the draw pool, problem is still exponentially worse regardless.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
There are only a couple of folks crying foul on here, and the way they hero type reassures me they are in exactly the right organization, with like minded individuals, APOS. If watching this bad mouthing name calling BS has done anything for me, it's that it has rejuvenated my luster to get on the heels of my MLA's and put the spot light on the selling of Alberta's wildlife, and I appreciate that!
Well it would appear that more or less you're just like the rest here and obviously have zero interest in the betterment of a pronghorn herd, or Albertas pronghorn program, so ya might as well just go on ahead and twist this baby into what ever you can to make er look good in a post hey lolol!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-31-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh I have no problem with reading comprehension at all. I know exactly what I read and what I meant.
LOL. Thanks for proving my point.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough the people that keep calling other people greedy, are the ones that are making a profit by selling hunting opportunity to non residents.
Yep.

Just like the oil companies, timber companies, mining companies, trappers and everybody else selling our resources to fund this country's economy.

All greedy trying to make a living because it all inconveniences somebody!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Well it would appear that more or less you're just like the rest here and obviously have zero interest in the betterment of a pronghorn herd, or Albertas pronghorn program, so ya might as well just go on ahead and twist this baby into what ever you can to make er look good in a post hey lolol!
Unlike some people posting here, his priority is not making a profit by selling off our game populations.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
LOL. Thanks for proving my point.
laugh all you want reincarnate ! You've said nothing and added nothing !

I'm sure this is nothing new though 😉
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Unlike some people posting here, his priority is not making a profit by selling off our game populations.
Heaven forbid i had cows on a lease for the summer. Id be accused of stealing albertas grass as well, wouldnt matter how much it cost my family for the privilege

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-31-2017, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
laugh all you want reincarnate ! You've said nothing and added nothing !

I'm sure this is nothing new though 😉
Once you start calling people names........
Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Once you start calling people names........
Who ever you are, are you here just for sport? Maybe you can patch Deer hunters sinking ship here and talk antelope? 5 plus pages and still cant find anyone that has more to say than, well, theres 5 pages of the garbage. Can you at least pretend lolol
Yea, didnt think so.
Im out lolol

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 PM

I have nothing against outfitters but i do have a problem with some american hunter being able to come and shoot an antelope whenever he wants and my son may never get the opportunity.

When you apply for that 3 dollar trophy antelope draw, maybe if the price was $1000.00 might get rid of some of the people who arent to serious about shooting a real trophy.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:21 PM
Banned

If the comments on here by the outfitters are a reflection of the other members in APOS you can see where a big part of the problem is. They know they are fighting a loosing battle, so they name call, deflect to anything to try and hide the greed of outfitters.

The truth is they know it is going to be inevitable that antelope and mule deer tags are eventually going to be for residents only until populations recover. The pressure grows more and more by residents every year and the government is going to have to deal with it sooner rather than later.

When it happens they will surely blame the residents for it, knowing their own greed, and arrogance was the real cause. The good old days for many residents are gone, the outfitters are soon going to know what that feels like.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 PM

I know nobody wants to hear it, but i blame the alberta relm system for the increase of applicants, they have made it so easy to apply! I am a younger hunter and before the current system i never applied just because i didn't want to phone in and mess around. It was just simpler to hunt with general tags. Now i spend ten minutes, check the boxes and give them my credit it card. I will be honest and say that i am 999ing tags that i don't know if i even want to pull, but for the 4 dollars i apply just because someday i might want the option.

I also think it has something the generation gaps, to just spit ball, think if there is 15000 hunters over 50 years old and say an average of 2 children to each hunter. There is a good chance that your children are also going to enjoy hunting. That 15000 hunters is now 45000 hunters and so on. Sure it sucks that the draw times are so long but to be upset that you have to wait your turn is just selfish and childish. I don't like seeing the tags go to outfitters or non-residents as much as the next guy but i would rather them only give out 1000 tags and the population stay strong than them giving out 3000 tags and my children might not every see them let alone actually hunt them.

I do agree that there are gaps in the system, you should have to prove residents either through an alberta drivers licences or alberta health care number. And i think the the non resident and out fitter tags should be restricted to only 10 percent per zone. Just my thoughts
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Who ever you are, are you here just for sport? Maybe you can patch Deer hunters sinking ship here and talk antelope? 5 plus pages and still cant find anyone that has more to say than, well, theres 5 pages of the garbage. Can you at least pretend lolol
Yea, didnt think so.
Im out lolol
I would suggest looking back in this thread and see who is riding a sinking ship. It isn't Deer Hunter.

The only garbage posted here are your long winded rants and pot shots about, well, not much. Every time you come up with another stupid comparison shows you have nothing to back the failing point you are trying to make.

Anyways, you said you were leaving this thread, yet here you are once again.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:09 AM

Getting rid of the outfitter allocations won't do a bloody thing to change draw times. First off, getting rid of the doe tags would be the best step to starting to help the herds and one day lead to increased tag numbers. Secondly, I think that a coveted tag like this to be fully on the priority system is ridiculous. Keep the 5% for outfitters, then take another 5% of tags and put them on secondary random draw and if you put into the random and are successful you lose whatever priority you had, so that way everyone has a little chance of drawing every year (my personal preference would be a lot higher than 5%, but the draw system we have here has been beat to death). This way no one can complain they didn't even have a shot at pulling the tag, and even make it another draw application fee for the random to generate more revenue. Lastly, make the outfitter allocations available to Alberta residents should they so desire to pay for them. Residents shouldn't be excluded if they have the means to pay for the hunt, and it makes no difference economically to the viability of the outfitters business.

FWIW I drew my antelope tag last year, and will never be applying in Alberta again.....I'm heading to Wyoming in a couple months on a self guided hunt and can do that every year if I so desire.

Last edited by 300magman; 08-01-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:16 AM
Gone Hunting

With the comments regarding antelope outfitters, i have yet to see anyone chime in here that has any skin in the antelope game, just 100 percent resident hunters. There has been attemp by a few people to bring points and views that may have promoted thought and discussion regarding how to Make better/aid Ab antelope, sadly they obviously have been skimmed over and disregarded. Obviously very difficult to do, while attempting to shift the premise and point of the entire thing as anti everything, since this things inception at post 1. The only thing continually and overwhelmingly pressed has been that residents want. With no thoughts presented here of this herd, one only has to wonder what exactly is the desire by the majority of us residents for these antelope. 5 pages with nothing of any seeming value regarding pronghorn, and counting. Count this one in there now as well. I am embarrassed to be a resident hunter today.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
With the comments regarding antelope outfitters, i have yet to see anyone chime in here that has any skin in the antelope game, just 100 percent resident hunters. There has been attemp by a few people to bring points and views that may have promoted thought and discussion regarding how to Make better/aid Ab antelope, sadly they obviously have been skimmed over and disregarded. Obviously very difficult to do, while attempting to shift the premise and point of the entire thing as anti everything, since this things inception at post 1. The only thing continually and overwhelmingly pressed has been that residents want. With no thoughts presented here of this herd, one only has to wonder what exactly is the desire by the majority of us residents for these antelope. 5 pages with nothing of any seeming value regarding pronghorn, and counting. Count this one in there now as well. I am embarrassed to be a resident hunter today.
You've stated that you were done with this discussion yet you continue to "contribute". I don't know much about our antelope heard but it's obvious that herd numbers would increase if non trophy tags were reduced and outfitter tags reduced. Or maybe keep the outfitter tags but have a $1000 dollar surcharge that goes directly to conservation of our heard.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
You've stated that you were done with this discussion yet you continue to "contribute". I don't know much about our antelope heard but it's obvious that herd numbers would increase if non trophy tags were reduced and outfitter tags reduced. Or maybe keep the outfitter tags but have a $1000 dollar surcharge that goes directly to conservation of our heard.
It is not obvious that antelope numbers will increase with the abolishment of Ab pronghorn outfitting. On top of many other things stated here in the past 24 hoirs, this is as well complete nonsense. Sad state we are in. One would think we were trapped in the 1700's here. Just shaking my head...

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-01-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Who do you suppose owns the land that the game animals in this province live on? Who pays to manage our game populations? Who pays their taxes to Alberta and supports the Alberta economy all year? That amounts to a lot more "skin" than what Alberta benefits from a guided hunt after the outfitter takes his cut. And many Alberta residents that are paying to support our game herds and to manage them, will never have the opportunity to enjoy the benefit of hunting these animals. Even if it's only 60 tags per year that outfitters get, another 30 to non resident that draw, and another 30 people that draw as residents , even though they are non residents that simply used an Alberta address to apply, that is 120 Alberta residents per year that will never draw a tag.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-01-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Where would you proffess these pronghorn outfitters are from? Where do you think they work and whom would you surmise is the recipients of thier year round paid taxes? So much wrong here. I have to move on. Guys really need to start thinking big picture, this is so sad.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-01-2017, 07:20 AM

I dont know anything about Albert pronghorn numbers but if they're truly as bad as they sound , how on earth do you guys still have doe tags? Or non trophy whatever you call them there. Saskatchewan actually closed our season for several years until the population came back and we now have a limited draw for either sex tags. Maybe thats an option or at least cancel the doe tags for a couple years and see what happens.