Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 03:25 PM
Banned

According to the regulations, this guy did nothing wrong. The new regulations have been posted above. He is repeatedly asking what he did with no answer on video. To me, the police do not know the regulations, and are trying to enforce something. If he refuses to comply with an order when he's not doing anything wrong, it is not a legal order. And the resisting arrest and obstruction charges should be dropped if the judge sides with him in non lawful orders. Any time I have gotten a ticket, I am respectful, but when they ask for the required information, I always ask why I'm being stopped before I hand over anything. No oonce have I had a problem with this. Mind you, driving 2e years, I think I've been pulled over 3 times,none ticket issued.
Its going to go to court and get sorted out there. I, for one, think all of these small businesses and restaurants should open as well. Take the ticket, fight it in court. Overload the court system with this petty stuff so they have no choice but to cancel all of the tickets.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Do the Lethbridge police and Calgary police recruit and train together?
Good thing the young fella playing hockey wasn't dressed up as a stormtrooper.
Do not make light if the dangers posed by the Empire
Old 12-19-2020, 03:31 PM

It’s been said already but don’t the cops have something better to do than worry about someone skating. No wonder cops are quitting at record numbers. Imagine having to give a guy skating a ticket... no thanks. I can see why the public opinion is in the toilet bowl. Thank goodness there are a few good cops left but it seem like less and less. These two Mary Sues should find another profession.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Do not make light if the dangers posed by the Empire

God help us if this is what replaces the RCMP for an Alberta Police force...,
Old 12-19-2020, 03:42 PM

Seems like carding to me, randomly obtaining personal and identifying information from members of the public, which was recently banned in Alberta.

Also, from the background in the video, it looks like there was way less than 40 people skating.

Regardless of who was right or wrong, it makes the CPS look pretty bad. That looked like a pretty low stress situation and that one officer was losing it.

Last edited by Trochu; 12-19-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
God help us if this is what replaces the RCMP for an Alberta Police force...,
Well, we already know the RCMP shoot about as good as Storm Troopers.......lol
Old 12-19-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
I am not trying to call you out or argue with you but this comment has been made a lot . Could you tell me what they should of done ? They asked him to get off the ice , he said "no" . They asked him to identify himself he said "no". So what should of the cops done at that point ?
Yep, no problem. I totally understand what you're saying.

In seeing the video, and now knowing the background of the young man, I've been around a lot of college level and semi-pro hockey players over the years. Some of them have an amazing skill of getting under your skin almost instantly. They use it to throw guys off on the ice. Get them mad, make them play worse. This young man was totally in the wrong, and totally got under their skin.

When trying to de-escalate a situation, sometimes it's better to take a pause, reboot, and try again at a lower energy level. Sometimes that means using a different officer to take a different approach. Not all people have the same skill sets or abilities. Law Enforcement included. As soon as you start swearing your head off in my view you've lost control of the situation in my humble opinion.

If I were a 'judge' in this situation, all sides would get a good chewing out. Fines would be issued, and more training provided to the officers.

Let's face it, even on this forum I've started to see some of the more rational guys come unglued which is normally not their character. Everyone is handling the stress of a REALLY crappy year in different ways. Even myself I find myself more aware of when I'm not having a good day. So maybe the player was being a dork more than he usually is and maybe the cop just came from a really frustrating call and both sides clashed right away. It doesn't relieve law enforcement from having to maintain a standard of professionalism.

That said, I'm not one of the law enforcement bashers on here. I actually interact with numerous law enforcement agencies on a regular basis and they have a very underappreciated role right now, and the sentiments directed at them with all these recent movements is super demoralizing. Whenever possible I always thank the member for their service. Some of them are pretty cool folks on a personal level.

As an aside, a month or so ago I was pulled over for expired tags on the QEII. I thought for sure I was in the clear but nope, it was over a year expired! I got my notification in an email right when the first lockdown hit and promptly forgot about it. I deserved the $350.00 fine fair and square and admitted as much to the member. It wasn't like I was expired a few weeks, it was a year! After a few minutes sitting in the truck being mad at myself the member came back and told me to drive straight to the registry in Leduc and to have a good day. Sometimes there are positive interactions with law enforcement and you can be sure I have a reminder set up for the next tag renewal.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
Since when is a 21 year old a kid, when I was 21 I was married, had my own house and one kid.
No doubt, 21 yrs old is not a kid but the media is making him out to be the victim. I had over four years in the Army at 21 yrs old.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:05 PM

HOLY jess you guys. What they should of done, listened to the first by law officer that showed up. Went to another rink, or went home for an hour or so and go back. There was no point in the kid having that attitude, and making life difficult for himself and cops.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:08 PM

For a family full of hockey players, im surprised they got that young man down

Check out Ezra Levant's twitter page.

First tho, learn the young mans name....then watch Ezra's video

https://twitter.com/tleehumphrey/sta...463639552?s=20
Old 12-19-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Lot's of rats coming out of the woodwork. Pathetic really but not surprising. Times have sure changed.
I’d have to disagree on times changing... rats have always existed throughout history. Jews snitched on the whereabouts of hiding Jews during the Nazi uprising... Russians snitching on neighbours for potential counter revolutionary meetings (friends getting together). It’s always been there and the motive is always the same.... be a good little snitch and hopefully you find yourself in tje good graces of the authorities.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Im worried for the next scenario that restricts or outright eliminates movement and social gatherings or somehow affects basic rights......

Like maybe 2 politicians get kidnapped? Oh, that already happened and a Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act

Oh, another Trudeau (and other scum politicians) uses doctors to restrict people

Seems to be a pattern here

FWIW...snitches sleep in ditches
Old 12-19-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Global News reported that a person called in, stating there were 40 people on the ice. Got called in, 39 people complied and 1 didn't
Yup. Used to be the police talked people listened. Now they beak off, video tape the affects after...complain their rights were abused.

Could of simply recorded the conversation. Cops would say disperse or be arrested. Could of taped that and left and posted the video. Could of had all the woke rights people all fuming without the arrest.

Some people just feel entitled to not listen and want to make a scene.

Good on the police for remaining calm, trying to resolve...letting people leave then and only then arresting the one person who as per the video appears to be melting down over not being allowed to skate.

Geesh.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-19-2020, 04:37 PM

This explains the CPS side of the story. This was from their Facebook page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2020, 04:38 PM

If you watched the video, and looked past the police, you would have seen several people still skating behind them, so no, it wasn't only one person that didn't leave. Yes the young man is an idiot, but the one female officer certainly escalated the situation , with her swearing and frantic attempts to knee the man in the groin several times.

The art of communication is sometimes lacking in policing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Haha. Good one CBC. I suppose everyone going to Walmart (remember not all Walmarts are super Walmarts) are going to buy groceries as well?
I was in Costco on the 10th. The non essential isles were all open. Same as Walmart. And people were cruising them.
You want to make it essential shopping (groceries)? All the other isles should be roped off.
Wanna try again? Waiting
So you want them to shut down the non essential isles but you still want to play with yer friends? Then you mention hypocrisy in your next post. GOLDEN!
Old 12-19-2020, 04:54 PM

Hard to not support police here.

In the Global interview, the 12 year old boy says, the peace officer told us we weren't allowed to skateboard there"we refused".

I can't defend any young people who intentionally defy law enforcement. It's absolutely shameful that respect levels are that low.

Honestly, I don't see how law enforcement can tolerate this type of disrespect? Defund the police........ i say lets buy more rubber hoses.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you watched the video, and looked past the police, you would have seen several people still skating behind them, so no, it wasn't only one person that didn't leave. Yes the young man is an idiot, but the one female officer certainly escalated the situation , with her swearing and frantic attempts to knee the man in the groin several times.
It makes me wonder how many of these officers are lacking the training and physical capability to properly subdue perpetrators.

Imagine if he was a dangerous individual that fought back...

I guess that probably explains why these girls were on rink duty.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Shotgun wedding no doubt.
No shotgun, just was raised to take responsibility for my actions and make the right decisions. To many coddled little babies in there twenties these days. Respect Leo or get tenderized,
Old 12-19-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
It's absolutely shameful that respect levels are that low.
Probably has something to do with police telling 12 year olds they can't skateboard at the skateboard park.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:06 PM

Comply .kneel and obey.pretty easy to tell by these posts those that might not so easily’comply’ when we’re told by the authorities to turn in our guns .pretty sad actually
Old 12-19-2020, 05:07 PM

And to think Alberta was rat free. Well the four legged ones but now lots of two legged rats.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:08 PM

This book should be required reading during the pandemic.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0062303023/..._axP3FbPBHQJ52

Ordinary Men is the true story of Reserve Police Battalion 101 of the German Order Police, which was responsible for mass shootings as well as round-ups of Jewish people for deportation to Nazi death camps in Poland in 1942. Browning argues that most of the men of RPB 101 were not fanatical Nazis but, rather, ordinary middle-aged, working-class men who committed these atrocities out of a mixture of motives, including the group dynamics of conformity, deference to authority, role adaptation, and the altering of moral norms to justify their actions.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-19-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Probably has something to do with police telling 12 year olds they can't skateboard at the skateboard park.
Maybe.

Or maybe it’s a sense of entitlement that’s becoming far too normal.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It makes me wonder how many of these officers are lacking the training and physical capability to properly subdue perpetrators.

Imagine if he was a dangerous individual that fought back...

I guess that probably explains why these girls were on rink duty.
Yup

If you are gonna use a knee to the outer quad strike, you had better hammer that baby in there perfectly the first time

She didnt
Old 12-19-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Yup

If you are gonna use a knee to the outer quad strike, you had better hammer that baby in there perfectly the first time

She didnt
I was half expecting the guy to go down, and her or the other officer falling on the skate blades as they went down with him. Then they would have likely charged him with assault with a deadly weapon.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
Comply .kneel and obey.pretty easy to tell by these posts those that might not so easily’comply’ when we’re told by the authorities to turn in our guns .pretty sad actually
I'm lost on your post. Are you saying it's "pretty sad actually" that people will NOT comply when they come for their firearms or just the opposite? Looking for clarification not an argument
Old 12-19-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
This book should be required reading during the pandemic.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0062303023/..._axP3FbPBHQJ52

Ordinary Men is the true story of Reserve Police Battalion 101 of the German Order Police, which was responsible for mass shootings as well as round-ups of Jewish people for deportation to Nazi death camps in Poland in 1942. Browning argues that most of the men of RPB 101 were not fanatical Nazis but, rather, ordinary middle-aged, working-class men who committed these atrocities out of a mixture of motives, including the group dynamics of conformity, deference to authority, role adaptation, and the altering of moral norms to justify their actions.
All done for the greater good, right? Just following orders
Old 12-19-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
He was not arrested for skating. He was given the opportunity to walk away with nothing but a warning but instead he refused and chose to be arrested for obstructing justice.

The cops aren't paid to stand there all day and babysit the guy discussing whether or not he agrees with the law. They are paid to enforce the laws and disperse these gatherings.

They did their job well, they started with a warning and very slowly raised the bar. He resisted every step of their actions and forced them to subdue him.

Kid needs an attitude adjustment.
If you think either one of those women did their jobs well , you my friend might be part of the problem
Neither one has any clue how to diffuse a situation or control an incident. They both let there feelings and inexperience get in the way and had a freakout/ powertrip Very unprofessional and completely avoidable