Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Lee Harvey Oswald might disagree with you
What rifle would you give your dupe if the real assasination was going to be carried out by others? You would give him an unreliable, inaccurate one.... hehehe..

And Lee Harvey is in no condition to disagree or agree with anyone, as planned. LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=dogslayer403;1728420]Theres been a few comments like this but does the people like that make it the worst caliber the other comment was on the 300winmag! The wsm is ballistically a twin. They are very effective cartridges just because a few people feel the need to think they are a hero doesnt make them the worst cartridge, it takes the .243 to fit that bill followed closely by the 257roberts which wants to be a 25-06 but isnt[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true .300 mag shooter

.300 mags are like Tapout shirts. Sure not every guy rocking one is a douchbag but its often enough to lead to that type of generalization.

Last edited by Cal; 11-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Banned

DP
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post

.300 mags are like Tapout shirts. Sure not every guy rocking one is a douchbag but its often enough to lead to that type of generalization.
Oh please...
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM

[/QUOTE].300 mags are like Tapout shirts. Sure not every guy rocking one is a douchbag but its often enough to lead to that type of generalization.[/QUOTE]

Haha...that's good.

This is especially tough for me to have to say b/c one of my longest friends primary large game rifle is an M70 in .300 WSM. At least he doesn't where tapout shirts...
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:

....you DO know what they say about stereotypes.....they exist because usually there is some truth to them

LC
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
There are no bad calibers just bad hunters that don't realize the limitations of their choice of gun.
Best one yet.

And add don't realize the limitations of their ability.

How many ranges are there in Alberta where you can practice a running shot at speed?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 PM

.300 mags are like Tapout shirts. Sure not every guy rocking one is a douchbag but its often enough to lead to that type of generalization.[/QUOTE]

LOL ya definately love the one I own........ the rifle that is not the tapout teeshirt.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
It's hard to say what the worst is...but the .300 WSM does seem to be the cartridge of choice amongst the new era of knuckle heads that you cross paths with in the field and at the range...Apparently it's "good to a thousand yards" and has "a lot of knock-down power." After absorbing those tid bits of wisdom a glance towards their pick-up truck usually reveals a rubber ball sack hanging off the trailer hitch.
I chose it because it has ballistics close to the 300 win mag but is in a short action giving you a shorter, lighter gun. I have one in a Sako Finnlight package and it is very accurate. I hope my children enjoy this rifle. I could be wrong but I think the 300 wsm is here to stay.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 PM

On iffy shots I prefer ----- smaller bullets ah ya smaller ,easier on shoulder.Makes good bush gun too.No magnums recoil hurts .
Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post

How many ranges are there in Alberta where you can practice a running shot at speed?
A shot gun range! If you can hit a clay out of the air your allowed to take running shots!

(A saw a video of guys using .22's and it looked cool, might have to try it sometime)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
x 2. My buddies brother used to use one. He was a real tool that used to shoot at anything regardless of the distance or quality of shot. I never actually saw him hit an animal, but whenever we'd meet up he'd tell stories of wounded animals whose blood trail dried up.

He was the type of guy who wouldn't listen to anything. Real jerk actually. Soured me on that round.

For deer I know it's fine. For moose, not so much. IMO.
I watched my wife drop a cow elk with a .243 at 305 yards with one shot throu and thou double lung.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Crap. I just bought a box of Tapout shirts...

By the way, my comment to you in the thread where someone took you down on your music got deleted along with that argument, so I'll say here that I think your songs are solid. The instrumentation is tight, especially if you're the one playing all the instruments.

And my experience vis-a-vis the .300 mags echoes yours, even after only a half-decade of shootin'.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 AM

My vote goes to the .338. It is a capable enough caliber but why not make the jump to the .338-378? When you shoot a .338 you are pretty much saying that recoil is not an issue, so step up.
The other reason that I don't really like this caliber is that a few buddy's shot it for a few years with the boss system muzzle break. One is now deaf in his left ear. Everyone wears hearing protection now, and I know no one that still shoots that caliber.
Maybe I just don't like muzzle breaks, and that was the first caliber that I knew that had one. It just gave me a rash that's all.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM

If I have to brake a rifle to shoot it, I don't want it or need it.
Cat
Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Without getting ridiculous like saying a .22lr, there is no such thing as best or worst hunting caliber. If a new shooter were to ask about a specific one for a specific type of game or for general use, then there would be something to opine about.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If I have to brake a rifle to shoot it, I don't want it or need it.
Cat
Good point!
I shot my buddies .50 bmg recently and was glad to have a break and was equally glad that I borrowed it. Fun though!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
Without getting ridiculous like saying a .22lr, there is no such thing as best or worst hunting caliber. If a new shooter were to ask about a specific one for a specific type of game or for general use, then there would be something to opine about.
The .22LR would be far from the worst hunting round IMO. It's taken everything in Alberta from Grouse to Grizzly.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM

If you talk to a few outfitters, you will find 7 mm mag on top of the list for hated cartridges. They lose more game at close range with this calibre than any other. Partly because its common, partly because its going too fast and blows right through. It kills them all right, just have to be a good tracker
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
If you talk to a few outfitters, you will find 7 mm mag on top of the list for hated cartridges. They lose more game at close range with this calibre than any other. Partly because its common, partly because its going too fast and blows right through. It kills them all right, just have to be a good tracker
Never shot a 7mm Rem Mag with a 160 or 175 grain partition? What about monolithics? It's really not that much different than a 30-06, .270, or .300 mag in that regard (shots at close range). You could say the same thing about any cartridge with the wrong bullet. Good bullets make the 7mm Rem Mag one of the most versatile and effective cartridges available for the N.A. big game hunter. Hands down.

My vote for worst cartridge might be the venerable .303 British and not so much for its effectiveness on game (I still sort of have a love hate relationship with it), but for the thousands of wore out surplus rifles that couldn't hit a VW bug at 20 paces. I found it tough to reload for and hard on brass, but again that was likely the invidual rifle I had.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I find comments like that quite humorous. Anyone that understands how velocity effects the expansion of a bullet, realizes just how ridiculous the statement in bold is.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Those few outfiters obviously know nothing about what they are talking about!
Nothing but heresay and B.S.
Most people that I know who have issues with the 7 mags can't shoot them well enough to be able to hit anything , be it at 50 or 150 yards.
A bad shot is jut that, no matter what cartridge is being used.

Cat
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Tragic stupidity.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

If a pink tap out shirt and bright purple rhinestone affliction hoodie with white rimmed sunglasses got me laid you bet you ass I'd fork over for it... Instead I rely on skill and experiance so I wear a lot of black and green and shoot a .300WM instead of a .375 ruger or .300RUM... Always have a warm bed and meat in the freezer

Useless hunting caliber? I hear the 44-40 was rather useless on white tail past 100 yards on anything but a perfect broadside shot...
Old 12-02-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post

Useless hunting caliber? I hear the 44-40 was rather useless on white tail past 100 yards on anything but a perfect broadside shot...
The 44-40 is a pistol cartridge.... not designed for 100+ yard shots on critters. Just saying.

Not going to comment on your pink tapout shirt...
Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM

The worst legal big game hunting cartridge that I ever owned was a .32-20. It was great on jack rabbit sized game and would have done a coyote within 100 yards but I had no though of using it on deer although it is legal.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post
I'm new to guns so I have no say .... But from the many experienced guys I've been learning from they all seem to say

270. Too small for big game and too big for small game
I think someone who says a .270 is too small for big game should probably hit the range and practice shooting.

I think .243 is my least favourite.

Hunting 2012 (Hubby & I)
2 - Antlerless Mule Deer
1 - Antlered Whitetail
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Pure BS
Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydog View Post
I watched my wife drop a cow elk with a .243 at 305 yards with one shot throu and thou double lung.

No doubt she did, as that's a perfect shot My point was that for a less than ideal shot, there are many, many better choices. Plus, many hunters who use a smallish round like the .243 don't wait for the right shot. The clown I was talking about is an example.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
The 44-40 is a pistol cartridge.... not designed for 100+ yard shots on critters. Just saying.

Not going to comment on your pink tapout shirt...
Or how he uses skill and experiance to get laid. But im sure the 300mag helps.