Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Well as I stated before I would not use anyones treestand because I simply do not like them, however if I am hunting on public land and see a treestand unoccupied and I like what the terrain looks like for a potenially critter I will hunt there not in his treestand but make my own cover. Now if the guy with the treestand shows up after me well I would expect him to vacat. Likewise if I was walking and saw a guy in this same treestand that arrived before me I would vacat. Just because you have a treestand on public property does not make it your personal hunting area.
See my response would fit better in here.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Interesting topic, lot's of responses. From my experience, I put up two permanent stands on private property (when I lived in Ontario where there was no crown land) with permission from the owner. One other guy used the property too, so I put a note on both of my stands letting him know who they belonged to and letting him and his sons use them if I wasn't there, but that I expected them to move on if I showed up. He made the same arrangement with me.

As far as I know no one ever did use them except raccoons who regularly left their "deposits" all over them !

I know there were several other stands on neighbouring properties put up by a couple of other guys who hunted in the area and we all seemed to respect one another's "turf". But then, we were all on private land.

However, the last year I hunted there before moving to AB, a large gang of "slobs" got permission on a couple of neighbouring farms for the firearms season and they put up a gazillion stands and ground blinds all over the place, cutting down trees to make shooting lanes and and gradually moved in on my stands. They even ****ed all around my stands! It was so bad you could smell it. They would also rip around on ATV's going back and forth from each other's stand locations; they even drove through standing corn the one day! When I approached them about their activities on behalf of the landowner they played dumb: "Oh, I didn't know this wasn't part of the property I had permission on." Yeah right, the fence lines were pretty solidly defined! It was obvious they were trying to drive me out.

I got the most satisfying laugh on them though when one morning I watched a buck come out of the bush about 50 yards from where one guy was sitting and he never saw it; must have been sleeping or something. That buck came right down in front of me and I dropped him 30 yards out.

Having said all that, I don't think I'd use anybody else's stand on public land. I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with an argumentative person. If I put up my own on public land I would put my name and contact info on it and hope people would respect it.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I really hope those tickets were not Flames tickets.. I know pride comes at cost, but Flames tickets are like Gold these days

Bud if you have Flames tickets you are giving away, I promise to listen to your leftest/commy/steal every thing thats not tied down rants. And if they are good enough seats I will aggree with what you are saying.

All jokes people

jamie
Nope , OILERS tickits ,

Won them at a peanut gallery , Okotoks Oilers , haaaaaaaaa.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 AM

Default tree stands

When I come across store bought or home made removable tree stands I don't touch or use them. If I come across some permanent tree stands of new construction, on crown land, I won't use them. If they are from previous years and I feel they are safe to use and in a good area I will use them. To my way of thinking anyone who puts a permanent stand up and leaves it up is laying claim to that area and doesn't want others in it. Sorry but its crown land and others will be using the area. He has no claim on the area or on the stand, even if he built it. Once he vacates the stand it then becomes property of the crown. Besides I think its illegal to build a permanent stand on crown land.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:22 PM

Hey Bud...You would actually steal a trailcam???......lowlife...What would be the point of leaving a trailcam out if you can`t leave it over a period of time....You know I rarely comment on chat sights, unless it will be good advice to help others....peaple like you who don`t give a damn about other people`s right to act accordingly in the bush pretty much give us all a bad name...but I suspect you already know your an idiot....but hey now we do too!!

Last edited by bbbhunter; 02-22-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: add title
Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 AM

Thumbs down

So, lets say I build a tree stand AND a bear bait, those of you would use a stand they found, would you also use my bear bait? After all, you found it on public land.

By the way, I have built dozens of basic permanent stands out of wood on public land. Way safer than hang-ons and much more comfortable. Rangers have no problem with them, I would tell the authoritys where they were and never had a problem. They are made of wood and will decompose in time, no harm done.

And Bud......you are way off base dude.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:41 AM

Public land is called PUBLIC for a reason. Private land is posted as PRIVATE for a reason!! It is well with in your rights to hang a stand on public land for the duration of hunting season. There is a risk that comes with hanging a stand on public land however. Some people think that certain PUBLIC hunting areas are there PRIVATE areas. I have come across people using my stand on public land before and I was raised to let it be. The first time it happened I was so mad that somebody would do that to me! After talking with my Dad about it (I was 16 at the time) he changed my outlook. He explained that it was public land and there for all to enjoy. He also wondered how I could be upset that someone was up earlier than me and made it to prime hunting area before me. Since that day I build a couple a stands a year in favorite spots and take them down at the end of the year. I have never been beaten to a location again!! I have tried moving to a new stand for the afternoon hunt and found people in them. I give them the same respect I would expect from others and leave without interfering with their hunt. A quick look through the binoculars is all it takes for me to know if someone is in the stand. On the negative side I have also got to a stand in the AM and found it in shambles as somebody figured I was stepping on their hunting turf. I have no time for that!! It is just sad that some people think they own an area and want to ruin it for others. I have also found stands with a friend of mine on his PRIVATE land!!! A guide was coming in the back corner of his land which borders crown land. The first 3 times we found the stands we simply removed them from the tree and left them at the base. We included a letter stating that it was private land and and if they wished to obtain permission call the enclosed number. We never received a call about permission but the stand kept getting hung back up. We then started confiscating the stands. 8 stands later they quit hanging them on his land.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 AM

Nothing sucks more then when you walk into your stand and all your steps are stolen. People should just leave other peoples thing alone guys and gals like Bud need there fingers removed.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Thumbs down Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
Take your junk home with you , if l find a jackknive in the bush or a good hunting knive , its mine , if l find an arrow in the bush its mine , if l find money in the bush , its mine , if l find a gun in the bush , its mine , if l find a squaw in the bush , shes mine , if l find bow in the bush , its mine , if l find a treestand in the bush , its mine , if l find a trailcam in the bush , its mine , if you dont want your junk to disappear , take it home .
Are you for real;Many of us put trail cameras out for scouting and your telling me you would take them.Its not junk its our personal belongings.Your a theifSure hope you never hunt around my place.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
Are you for real;Many of us put trail cameras out for scouting and your telling me you would take them.Its not junk its our personal belongings.Your a theifSure hope you never hunt around my place.
No,, haven't you been paying any attention to this mans posts over the last while ???

Last edited by lilsundance; 02-24-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 AM

Thumbs down Sitting In Peoples Stands

Are some of you people for real?You mean to tell me if you see a stand in a tree and its not yours you would hunt in it for the night,Holy **** man.
First of all i dont know about you but theres alot of time that goes into scouting,finding the right tree or trees,clearing lanes ect to wait for the best wind and to find another monkey in your stand when you go to sit in it.It wouldnt be pretty when he crawled out of my stand put it that way.

I would never sit in someones stand,blind,ect.In fact if i see someone has a stand up i leave the area and find a new area,show some respect to the guy that is hunting there.

And for the people who think they got to steel stands,pegs ect how would you like it if yours got stolen,Oh you probally wouldnt care because they were not yours to begin with.There is nothing more frustrating than going to your stand for a night of hunting and when you get there your stand is gone along with your pegs.It happened to me last fall.Its just brutal that someone would take what does not belong to them.There is no respect in this world no more.Its just got to a point that you cant even leave your stand overnight because you dont know if it will be there the next day or not.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:

I would never sit in someones stand,blind,ect.In fact if i see someone has a stand up i leave the area and find a new area,show some respect to the guy that is hunting there.

So let's not muddy the argument with discussions of stealing or damaging stands. ALMOST no one is advocating that... but are you saying that if a person puts up a stand and leaves it there, that reserves the AREA around it for them exclusively, even if they aren't there (may not have been there all week)? That is what your comment here seems to suggest, if I haven't gotten it wrong. I would have to disagree with that. Public land is not claimable or reservable, unless you are already there.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So let's not muddy the argument with discussions of stealing or damaging stands. ALMOST no one is advocating that... but are you saying that if a person puts up a stand and leaves it there, that reserves the AREA around it for them exclusively, even if they aren't there (may not have been there all week)? That is what your comment here seems to suggest, if I haven't gotten it wrong. I would have to disagree with that. Public land is not claimable or reservable, unless you are already there.
Public land or not,can you not find a spot thats not next to his or hers tree stand.So what if they havnt been there for a week.I realize that it is public property and WE all have a right to hunt.But shurly we can move further down the line ect.I dont know thats just my feelings on that.Let me ask you this if you come accross my stand and bear bait and its the best set up you have ever seen with the most bear sign too boot would you put a stand up close to my bear bait or set your own bear bait up further up the line?Enough said i think.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM

Default cant believe what im hearing

im new to this sight and I cant believe that someone would take my gear that I have left in the bush. Even after the season I would not take someones trail cam, I lost for words that is what gives the rest of us a bad name. I sure hope he does not hunt in my area.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Public land or not,can you not find a spot thats not next to his or hers tree stand.So what if they havnt been there for a week.I realize that it is public property and WE all have a right to hunt.But shurly we can move further down the line ect.I dont know thats just my feelings on that.Let me ask you this if you come accross my stand and bear bait and its the best set up you have ever seen with the most bear sign too boot would you put a stand up close to my bear bait or set your own bear bait up further up the line?Enough said i think.
I wouldn't hunt your bear bait. But when you say "move down the line" what sort of distance are you talking about? To my mind, a couple hundred yards is not sufficient, so if you say a tree stand reserves an area for a hunter who isn't even there, then that means I have to move maybe a kilometer further from that prime confluence of three game trails the stand owner has now (in your eyes) reserved for himself for the entire season. That just doesn't seem right.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't hunt your bear bait. But when you say "move down the line" what sort of distance are you talking about? To my mind, a couple hundred yards is not sufficient, so if you say a tree stand reserves an area for a hunter who isn't even there, then that means I have to move maybe a kilometer further from that prime confluence of three game trails the stand owner has now (in your eyes) reserved for himself for the entire season. That just doesn't seem right.
Each to there own,I personally would not hunt by someones stand or in there
stand for sure.But i do see your point if we all thought like i do everyone would put perminate stands up all over public land and pretty soon there would be no where to go,So i do see your point.I dont hunt on crown land
at all so i never run into the situation,Im always on private land.Theres nothing worse than going out for a night of sitting in the stand and you have drove over a hr to get there and there is somone there already,thats why i hunt private land,i know whos in there and we keep in touch with each other.
That way we dont run into each other.In the last 5 years i have never seen another hunter when bowhunting.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Public land is not claimable or reservable, unless you are already there.

I don't agree with this at all, but just for the sake of stirring the pot, how does already being there change anything? You've made the rule "Public land is not claimable or reservable, unless you are already there". Why should being there change anything? Its still Public Land, as much mine as yours. Who says I can't stand right next to you? Walk right behind you? Stand there and watch you pee?

This is all over-analytical BS to start with just had to get my poke in before the thread gets locked
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
The first 3 times we found the stands we simply removed them from the tree and left them at the base. We included a letter stating that it was private land and and if they wished to obtain permission call the enclosed number. We never received a call about permission but the stand kept getting hung back up. We then started confiscating the stands. 8 stands later they quit hanging them on his land.
That's unbelievable. The nerve of some people with deep pockets.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Are some of you people for real?You mean to tell me if you see a stand in a tree and its not yours you would hunt in it for the night,Holy **** man.
First of all i dont know about you but theres alot of time that goes into scouting,finding the right tree or trees,clearing lanes ect to wait for the best wind and to find another monkey in your stand when you go to sit in it.It wouldnt be pretty when he crawled out of my stand put it that way.

And for the people who think they got to steel stands,pegs ect how would you like it if yours got stolen,Oh you probally wouldnt care because they were not yours to begin with.There is nothing more frustrating than going to your stand for a night of hunting and when you get there your stand is gone along with your pegs.It happened to me last fall.Its just brutal that someone would take what does not belong to them.There is no respect in this world no more.Its just got to a point that you cant even leave your stand overnight because you dont know if it will be there the next day or not.
Threads like these mutate. I will hunt in a stand (as in 2 X 4 and plywood stand) that is not new ....as someone else has qualified. You are not going to build a wooden stand in a tree, leave it there season after season with the idea that is your exclusive hunting spot. I may have scouted and hunted that area for years before you and used my climber, taking it in and out after each hunt. Now you come in and build a shanty in a tree and declare that this is your spot.....for evermore? Yeah sure. After a couple seasons that stand is mine or anyone's to use.......and if I don't feel safe in it, maybe I'll put mine in a tree right beside it. If someone left a fresh note in an old stand saying he was going to be in it on opening day, I wouldn't use it that day or any other day that the note implied. As far as a baited bear sight goes............no, I would never use someone else's active baitsite.......that is different..............and what's the siliest argument on this thread....(not pointing at anyone in particular here) people using threatening language whether it be on this thread or in real life (with guns in the field). Two guys with guns or bows.....one on the ground verbally threatening the other in a tree (not a commanding position to be in). You don't have to threaten people to get them to take action. Leave your guns at home if you feel the need to threaten someone that day.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearnDown View Post
I don't agree with this at all, but just for the sake of stirring the pot, how does already being there change anything? You've made the rule "Public land is not claimable or reservable, unless you are already there". Why should being there change anything? Its still Public Land, as much mine as yours. Who says I can't stand right next to you? Walk right behind you? Stand there and watch you pee?

This is all over-analytical BS to start with just had to get my poke in before the thread gets locked
Oh come on, you're just being silly now.
If I'm walking through the woods and I see a hunter in place, I'll give him a wide berth out of respect for the fact that he got there first. Not a problem in the world with that. But if I come across a sign on public land that essentially says "This is my spot, I have staked it out. No one else is allowed to hunt within a kilometer of here all season", then uh-uh, no way do I repsect that. You want land to yourself in perpetuity? Go buy some. Or at least persuade a landowner taht you are the only person he should allow on his land to hunt.

If I'm up before dawn to get hunting and you wander into the bush at noon, don't be expecting me to pack up and move on just because you threw a stand up in the vicinity three weeks ago. I won't climb into it, but I feel no moral compulsion to be the one to have to move on.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 PM

I cannot believe what I am reading here. (I,m not aiming a remark at any Identity or comment on here) But!!
If it is not yours, KEEP your hands in your pockets!! That's what your daddy told you!
Sheesh ! The way some of you talk, if you found a vacant tent with all the goodies and it was on public land you could just take it home!!
At one time in this Province you could set up a camp or lean a rod against a tree, go back to work ,come back next Friday evening, and your stuff would still be there.
If the other guy put his stand up first, then tough ****. Don't snivel!, go put up your own. After all you are supposed to be hunting (seek or pursue game)
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

If I'm up before dawn to get hunting and you wander into the bush at noon, don't be expecting me to pack up and move on just because you threw a stand up in the vicinity three weeks ago.
On that note (and I completley agree by the way, I was just yankin yer chain), I'm a fairly new Elk Hunter, been at it for 4 years now, 3 seasons of putzing around and last year hard at it. This past year in 312 I was in a small block of bush with good Elk sign late Saturday afternoon. I could smell that there were Elk there and didn't have my calls with me for some ridiculous reason. I backed out quietly with plans to come back the next morning after they vacated the field surrounding the bush. I parked my truck on the road about half an hour after legal light and snuck in. I managed to call a little spike in (3 pt zone of course) and some cows. After they all blew outta the bush and up the ridge, I headed back to the truck. Halfway there I was met by 3 IRATE other hunters. Apperently they were set up on a creek bottom I had to cross to get to "my" bush. They were working a different bunch that come from the East down across the road and into the field. When I got out of the truck, unbeknownst to me I spooked "their" herd and ruined their hunt. Now, when I parked and got outta the truck, I made damn sure there wern't any other vehicles ANYWHERE along the road (theres several of us with permission on her land, and we don't all know each other). They had somebody drop them off so as not to leave a vehicle in the area and were in full camo in the creek bottom, the one guy said I passed within 15 yards of him.

They were MAD! Called me every name in the book, Slob, reject, ****** and others too precious to mention here.

Now, what can a guy do in this situation? They left no clues anywhere that they were in the area, they made their plan on their herd, I made my plan on my herd and our paths accidently crossed. Seems to me a good time to introduce ourselves and swap phone numbers, hell maybe even have breakfast in Turner Valley and swap some war stories. Not these yahoos. They even called the landowner to complain about me ruining their hunt.

Sometimes its just gonna happen, and its up to us as a Bretheren to deal with it like Adults. Malicious intent is one thing and has its own set of ways to be handled, but honest accidents are gonna happen.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 PM

huh, maybe its just me but i walk by portable tree stands all the time and to tell ya the truth i dont think i ever even thought about stealing it, why would ya.
And could you imagine if you got caught red handed in the bush doing that, ouch thats gonna hurt.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM

Default bit runner

no said the tree stand was over an active bait. If it was then I wouldn't be using it as I dont go bear hunting. Also where I hunt its 13 km from the nearest road and in November. We know most everyone who hunts the area, although of late a lot of new comers are hunting it. Most of the good camping spots are on the way into our camp so we usually know when someone is using the area besides us. Another thing is most of you think that because you built the tree stand and took the time to search and take a lot of time into scouting etc and then someone comes along you automatically think he never put in the same amount of time scouting and searching the area as you. Have you ever thought that he just might have put in more time, checked out more miles hoofing through the bush to come to the same conclusion as you? And that is that the area is a great place to hang a stand, or hunt. Crown land is first come first served, same with permanent tree stands on crown land. BUt if its over an active bear bait, then IMHO whoever put the bait up is using it. But they had better have it properly marked and cleaned up after the season.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearnDown View Post
On that note (and I completley agree by the way, I was just yankin yer chain), I'm a fairly new Elk Hunter, been at it for 4 years now, 3 seasons of putzing around and last year hard at it. This past year in 312 I was in a small block of bush with good Elk sign late Saturday afternoon. I could smell that there were Elk there and didn't have my calls with me for some ridiculous reason. I backed out quietly with plans to come back the next morning after they vacated the field surrounding the bush. I parked my truck on the road about half an hour after legal light and snuck in. I managed to call a little spike in (3 pt zone of course) and some cows. After they all blew outta the bush and up the ridge, I headed back to the truck. Halfway there I was met by 3 IRATE other hunters. Apperently they were set up on a creek bottom I had to cross to get to "my" bush. They were working a different bunch that come from the East down across the road and into the field. When I got out of the truck, unbeknownst to me I spooked "their" herd and ruined their hunt. Now, when I parked and got outta the truck, I made damn sure there wern't any other vehicles ANYWHERE along the road (theres several of us with permission on her land, and we don't all know each other). They had somebody drop them off so as not to leave a vehicle in the area and were in full camo in the creek bottom, the one guy said I passed within 15 yards of him.

They were MAD! Called me every name in the book, Slob, reject, ****** and others too precious to mention here.

Now, what can a guy do in this situation? They left no clues anywhere that they were in the area, they made their plan on their herd, I made my plan on my herd and our paths accidently crossed. Seems to me a good time to introduce ourselves and swap phone numbers, hell maybe even have breakfast in Turner Valley and swap some war stories. Not these yahoos. They even called the landowner to complain about me ruining their hunt.

Sometimes its just gonna happen, and its up to us as a Bretheren to deal with it like Adults. Malicious intent is one thing and has its own set of ways to be handled, but honest accidents are gonna happen.

I aggree.. Sometimes crap happens.
And I been both on the reciveing end and the giving end. Fortunatly I have never had a confrontation. Most times I end up in a good conversation.

Good luck
Jamie
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
no said the tree stand was over an active bait. If it was then I wouldn't be using it as I dont go bear hunting. Also where I hunt its 13 km from the nearest road and in November. We know most everyone who hunts the area, although of late a lot of new comers are hunting it. Most of the good camping spots are on the way into our camp so we usually know when someone is using the area besides us. Another thing is most of you think that because you built the tree stand and took the time to search and take a lot of time into scouting etc and then someone comes along you automatically think he never put in the same amount of time scouting and searching the area as you. Have you ever thought that he just might have put in more time, checked out more miles hoofing through the bush to come to the same conclusion as you? And that is that the area is a great place to hang a stand, or hunt. Crown land is first come first served, same with permanent tree stands on crown land. BUt if its over an active bear bait, then IMHO whoever put the bait up is using it. But they had better have it properly marked and cleaned up after the season.
I was using a bear bait as a example,when people were saying they would sit in other people stands.Would you sit in my stand if there was a bear bait there you said know,so why would you sit in my stand over a natural mineral lick.Everyone has there own ideas on this topic and it will go back and forth for ever,ive said my piece and im done.