Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2020, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
relevant?

maybe playing buck hunter with real deer was the issue

cartridge was 'unethical' in this example? like this couldn't have had anything to do with the nut behind the wheel?

don't get me wrong, i'm down for leading the duck when called for and plenty of bush pushin gets done, but you done stepped in it there lol

call it even on the irrelevant posts then
This isn’t relevant either
Zero mention relation to being over scoped
😁😁😉😉
Old 08-21-2020, 06:22 PM

Maybe I'm "under thinking it" but almost all of my hunting rifles have a variable scope ...any news one do for sure.

It stays turned down to 3 or 4 power or whatever the lowest magnification is and most game is shot without dialing it up ...... but it's real nice to be able to do so if your target is a ways out there (and you have time) or you are shooting paper.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:30 PM

I have nothing against 2-7’s, 3-9’s and 4-12 and or 4-16’s. For the hunting I do I find 4x is the maximum minimum (haha) zoom I find usable. I don’t care how high it goes, could be a 4-57 for all I care, it lives on 4 for the hunt. It is nice for target shooting to have a higher max zoom, I’ll take 16x over 7 or 9x any day of the week for target practice.

IF, and that’s a huge if, I have to take a longer shot (400-500 yards) while hunting, I feel much better with 16x. It may also allow you to see things you might not see with 4 or 5x, like a twig from some underbrush or some other well blended small obstruction. I love irons, but hunt big game with scopes, you can’t hit what you can’t see (animal wise, camouflaged obstructions may beg to differ).

As mentioned by others, it comes down to being comfortable and proficient with your setup, you owe it to the critters.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Maybe I'm "under thinking it" but almost all of my hunting rifles have a variable scope ...any news one do for sure.

It stays turned down to 3 or 4 power or whatever the lowest magnification is and most game is shot without dialing it up ...... but it's real nice to be able to do so if your target is a ways out there (and you have time) or you are shooting paper.
Match your target to your scope.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-21-2020, 07:10 PM
Banned

6x?
Old 08-21-2020, 07:18 PM

Yes

-Billy Molls
Old 08-21-2020, 07:32 PM
Banned

Damn...i was doing my usual 1/2 moa one group with 1 moa next group...but i know that's me mostly, factory gear and ammo partially. Nice shooting and an accurate set up!

I haven't shot at 100 yards for quite awhile so couldn't say i'd compete, pretty sure i couldn't but at 200 and 500 is what i do for set up above.

I find the paper targets with the large orange cross for 200 yards are fantastic for 5-600 yard drop data collection as well as 200 yard zero work, easy to center up the crosshairs at these ranges and keep groups reasonable, even with 4x and 6x fixed. 10" gongs no issue either.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:48 PM

I think its what one gets use to...the only time my scopes get turned down is when the light starts to fade.
3-9 is always on 9
4-12 is always on 12
4-16 is always on 16
I see no reason why I would want to hunt on 3 or 4 unless its a low light situation....but that's just what works for me...
Old 08-21-2020, 08:05 PM

5x25x50 Zeiss and 5x25x52 Swarovski...works great for killing big whitetail...if I’m walking in thick Bush I have it cranked down to 5 power.Im Always on the ball at what power my scope is set at and adjust accordingly as I go if I’m walking through various terrain.When I’m sitting on stand in a big open field the sky is the limit...works great for me!
Old 08-21-2020, 09:06 PM

I hunted many years with 3-9 or 3-10 scopes, but with my older eyes, I find that 3-15 ,or 3.5-18 are better for longer range precision for my older eyes. Whatever the scope, it is carried on minimum magnification in case an animal is spotted suddenly at close range . If the animal is spotted at longer range, I usually have time to increase the magnification.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have shot coyotes at 30 feet with a 6X scope , no problem .

Cat
When a critter is out in the relative open, sure, its not too hard to find them with a scope that powerful. Where I have had problems is when I am trying to thread a bullet through a screen of bush. At close range, in poor light, a scope with too much "bottom end" can make it hard to tell which part of the animal I am looking at through the scope... am I looking through the right opening? Is that patch of hair his lungs or his flank?

With a scope that will go down to at least 2x, when I am looking at small parts of an animal through the bush I can usually keep things in context. Too much more than that and sometimes I cant. YMMV, but I think 6x is more than ideal for most bush hunting shots, I tried going to a fixed 4x one season and still found it too much.

As much as I like the idea of fixed power scopes, I've found that I am far better off with a 1-4 or 2-7x scope, always carried on the lowest setting, rarely turned up at all while hunting. Have found no real use for anything bigger.

So for me, the definition of over scoped, is a scope that wont get down to 2x, and/or is unnecessarily large/ heavy/ bulky etc, for any shot I will need to take.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-22-2020 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
When a critter is out in the relative open, sure, its not too hard to find them with a scope that powerful. Where I have had problems is when I am trying to thread a bullet through a screen of bush. At close range, in poor light, a scope with too much "bottom end" can make it hard to tell which part of the animal I am looking at through the scope... am I looking through the right opening? Is that patch of hair his lungs or his flank?

With a scope that will go down to at least 2x, when I am looking at small parts of an animal through the bush I can usually keep things in context. Too much more than that and sometimes I cant. YMMV, but I think 6x is more than ideal for most bush hunting shots, I tried going to a fixed 4x one season and still found it too much.

As much as I like the idea of fixed power scopes, I've found that I am far better off with a 1-4 or 2-7x scope, always carried on the lowest setting, rarely turned up at all while hunting. Have found no real use for anything bigger.

So for me, the definition of over scoped, is a scope that wont get down to 2x, and/or is unnecessarily large/ heavy/ bulky etc, for any shot I will need to take.

There is NO perfect scope combination the same as there is no perfect bullet !
I have killed stuff in bush in the open and whatever else fringe scenario you clowns want to put forward , and I have done it with a fixed 6 . Perfect scope for that? No but it worked and it is not he every day dhot I will take on a coyote with my big game rifle
Variables aren't perfect either , if I turn my 1.5X down I can see my front sight and THAT is not good .
That is why I leave it st 4X and don't muck with it .
If I have an animal at 500 with my favorite big game rifle with that scope on tHe animal is walking because I don't shoot at that distance with that rifle .
Bottom line is it's a choice I can and have made Letting an animal go - even a big racked animal is not a life and death situation for me , be it 5 yards are 500 yards .
However IF I have to go into deep bush on an animal because of a messed up shot I can do it because the scope comes off and I use the express sights .
It's old school but it's the way I roll .

I like fixed 6X scopes but there is a reason I use the 1.5-4X scope on my rifle and it is NOT because if is a low powered variable .
Cat
Old 08-22-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There is NO perfect scope combination the same as there is no perfect bullet !
I have killed stuff in bush in the open and whatever else fringe scenario you clowns want to put forward , and I have done it with a fixed 6 . Perfect scope for that? No but it worked and it is not he every day dhot I will take on a coyote with my big game rifle
Variables aren't perfect either , if I turn my 1.5X down I can see my front sight and THAT is not good .
That is why I leave it st 4X and don't muck with it .
If I have an animal at 500 with my favorite big game rifle with that scope on tHe animal is walking because I don't shoot at that distance with that rifle .
Bottom line is it's a choice I can and have made Letting an animal go - even a big racked animal is not a life and death situation for me , be it 5 yards are 500 yards .
However IF I have to go into deep bush on an animal because of a messed up shot I can do it because the scope comes off and I use the express sights .
It's old school but it's the way I roll .

I like fixed 6X scopes but there is a reason I use the 1.5-4X scope on my rifle and it is NOT because if is a low powered variable .
Cat

Easy there Cat, I think we can respectfully have a differing of opinions without name calling. And for me, the scenario I put forward is quite common. Seeing my front sight through the scope has never bothered me. I just feel that if 90% of your shots are under 50 yards, 3x or more is an unneeded encumberment.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:58 PM

So let me sum this up, everyone else's guns are over or under scoped, mine are setup just perfect. Which pretty much is as it should be.

I have everything from buck horns, peeps, fixed 4xs and, 1.5x4.5 to 6x30. I have QD scopes on open sighted rifles and many rifles with no open sights at all. Like a couple have already said, there is no perfect setup for all situations. The only consistent pattern for me is the older I get, the more magnification I like, but I can still clover leaf three out of the 45-70 at 100 yards on 1.5 power, but it is easier to do on 4.5X.

Do what works for you, each guy will be different, no need to get in a twist just because someone doesn't agree with your choices. Peace out!
Old 08-23-2020, 08:37 PM

I would not say rifles are over-scoped but I would definitely say that some hunters are over-scoped. I started with a fixed 4X and used this for years, resulting in many big game animals in my freezer. The fixed and low magnification variables are practical for most hunting opportunities. I do have a couple of high magnification scopes on hunting rifles however my preference is for a 3-10X40. I have a couple Leupolds in this category but my absolute favourite is the Swarovski 3-10X42.

I am 48 now and found my eyes started to go at 43. Despite this, most of my hunting shots, even those beyond 200 metres, are with the scope dialled down to a 3X or 5X. Even with my vision starting to go, I have rarely maxed out my scope to 10X for a field shot on game.

I have witnessed several hunting buddies, particularly those with trailer park tactical objectives, fumbling with their scope and missing the chance at an easy shot due to the scope being dialled up too high.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I would not say rifles are over-scoped but I would definitely say that some hunters are over-scoped.
I think this is what Chuck was alluding to in his first post
Cat
Old 08-24-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I have witnessed several hunting buddies, particularly those with trailer park tactical objectives, fumbling with their scope and missing the chance at an easy shot due to the scope being dialled up too high.
Or because they are goofing around with their scope, dialing up for no good reason when they should just take the shot. Thats about the best selling point for fixed scopes, and why I tried going to them, when you have an adjustable scope you tend to want to adjust it. Most of the time you should have just made the shot.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Most hunters deer hunt and most deer are shot within 50 yards. Thats low power territory.

I like the 1.75-6x32 Leupold

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I think you're mistaken. If however, you have some proof of this statement, I'll eat my words and apologize.

I've been hunting for around 40 years now and my average shot is over 200 yards. Mind you, I'm not hunting in bush, I'm hunting in open country and that might make a difference.

Quote:
I would not say rifles are over-scoped but I would definitely say that some hunters are over-scoped.
This I definitely agree on.

Some of it I'm sure is just plain old lack of knowledge. Some of it's the old "mine is bigger than yours, therefore I'm better than you" BS so many people like to indulge in. And some of it is caused by sales people trying to make more money.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-24-2020, 01:51 PM

I think it would be a mistake for someone to just assume they could out shoot someone at field position shooting just because they see someone carrying an old rifle with metallic sights and they have the latest and biggest scope on a modern set up.
Having said that I think some of you made good points about being able to judge horn size with a big scope. I still like small compact for what I used to use a rifle for.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:10 PM
Banned

i use totally different optics if i'm looking for certain sizes of animals, scope is the last thing i use for judging, binos/spotters do the bulk, the scope just gets me behind the should for the tuh-keeew

there certainly is a difference between what you need to be successful in most situations vs what many carry, and following kiss, less is typically the answer, whether it be complexity (variables) or magnification, or both, or otherwise...like charts etc. vs speed dial turret set up, or multi-aimpoint reticle vs dial up...quite a few ways we can over complicate things and hurt our chances out there
Old 08-24-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Very true but this is a forum to discus everything hunting. Everyone should use what they like, but I have personally seen lots of people spend 30-50 seconds just finding the standing deer out in the middle of the field it's almost laughable. Also witnessed many guys pound rounds at targets and miss then turn mag down and what do you know hit after hit. It helps hunters accuracy more often than not to turn that mag down.
Often new shooters don't understand or know that and think that seeing the hairs on the deer is important for accurate shot placement.
You know they are just missing because they are holding over figuring they're "compensating for bullet drop". (Buddy with a 338 wby mag was doing a 4" holdover at 250 yards with a 100 yard zero...)

I use a 4-12 on my main hunting rifle and i will almost always crank it up for the shot.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:47 PM

Absolutely.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentinroof View Post
You know they are just missing because they are holding over figuring they're "compensating for bullet drop". (Buddy with a 338 wby mag was doing a 4" holdover at 250 yards with a 100 yard zero...)

I use a 4-12 on my main hunting rifle and i will almost always crank it up for the shot.
Wrong they are missing because higher magnification in many instances cause over aiming, over correction and paralax issues that often don't exist at lower magnification.
Because the crosshairs move more on the target at higher mag it leads to over aiming, poor trigger control, poor breathing control and shooter error.

I have witnessed this many times with new shooters hitting targets at 800-1200 yds. Often they hit better on 9x than 24x and it has nothing to do with hold over as dope is dialed. Good fundamentals= good shooting.
Some of my best groups at 1000 were shot on 10x

At short range high magnification over accentuates reticle bounce( movement) forcing your brain to jerk the trigger as soon as it's on target. This poor trigger pull and all the muscle moment associated with jerking a trigger causes bad shots
Old 08-24-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post

At short range high magnification over accentuates reticle bounce( movement) forcing your brain to jerk the trigger as soon as it's on target. This poor trigger pull and all the muscle moment associated with jerking a trigger causes bad shots
Thank you especially for this part. I was going to say it but I figured I would get piled on and accused of being a poor shot. Haha I dont understand why anybody would ever want to do something like that but some people like to disagree even if they agree.
Off hand its all about timing your trigger release. Nobody can hold dead steady. To much magnification can be unnerving.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
i use totally different optics if i'm looking for certain sizes of animals, scope is the last thing i use for judging, binos/spotters do the bulk, the scope just gets me behind the should for the tuh-keeew

there certainly is a difference between what you need to be successful in most situations vs what many carry, and following kiss, less is typically the answer, whether it be complexity (variables) or magnification, or both, or otherwise...like charts etc. vs speed dial turret set up, or multi-aimpoint reticle vs dial up...quite a few ways we can over complicate things and hurt our chances out there
What size spy glasses do you carry? I used to carry 10 x but you really couldn't judge horns to good at distance. Haha my cheap ones were basically good for dark neck and head must be elk way over there.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:47 PM
Banned

10x Leica ultravid hd, and spotting scopes depending on game.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:37 PM

Where is a good place to buy a good quality fixed power scope?
Maybe a 6 power 42 mm

Seems everyone stocks the variable scopes
Old 09-06-2020, 03:16 PM

In the last couple weeks I’ve seen at least 3-4 different fixed powered Leupold’s come up in the buy and sell on this very forum.

You can’t go wrong with Leupold as their warranty depot is here in Alberta, and they honour their warranty very well.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-06-2020, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
Where is a good place to buy a good quality fixed power scope?
Maybe a 6 power 42 mm

Seems everyone stocks the variable scopes
I think Leupold still offers the 6x42 new. Yup

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...ectedSku=66815

I think weaver has some fixed also?
Old 09-06-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I think Leupold still offers the 6x42 new. Yup

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...ectedSku=66815

I think weaver has some fixed also?
That is the scope I’d like. Can we order off website or do we need a dealer to bring it in ?
Not sure if Leupold will ship to Canada customers direct.