Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Banned

Default Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, most popular isn't a criteria for "best" either. And many of the people that use a 30-06, have very limited experience with cartridges other than the 30-06, so they really have nothing to compare to.
It's like a Volkswagen Beetle. It will get the job done but people who have only ridden in a Beetle because it was popular would not know the difference.

6.5 mm / 270 / 7 mm much better geometry of bullet given the weight needed in Alberta. Better geometry better results.

Less recoil in non mag. Better down range performance.

I do not have a single 30 caliber in my herd. Not missing out on anything.

It jumps from 7 mm to 338.

243 257 6.5mm 270 7mm 338 9.3mm 416 458

Do not see the need for 165 to 200 grain in 30 caliber.

These are covered off by 7 mm or 338

Last edited by Mangosteen; 04-01-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:12 AM

30-06 is more like a cheap pickup truck than a Beetle. Gets the job done quite well with good bullet selection for the target game.
There is no real difference between the host of similar capacity cartridges within reasonable game shooting range and with adequate bullets.
Blondes or redheads, slender or curvy, you choose.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:20 AM

Here is an interesting observation .
Lots of posts saying it's not as good as bigger cased cartridges, smaller diameter cartridges and lighter/ heavier bullets.
So, if you take that into account, the 3006 , according to a lot of people here is not as good as THEIR choice.
The fact that it has killed uncountable numbers of animals, killed the B&C 29 several times over , won all the World's big centre fire matches , Ammo can be bought dang near anywhere and the cartridge is enjoyed as a hand loaded and factory offering the World over seems to be lost here.

BTW I do not own one at the moment but that would not deter me from buying a rifle chambered in one as opposed to some other cartridges.

Here is my first post on this matter:

"Nope, simple as that, because the perfect cartridge/gun combination is a mythical beast that lives in the minds of gun writers and and SAAMI members to sell guns and ammo!"

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-01-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Some say it is...some say it isn't.
Mine wouldn't do much until I put a Husky Maw blue ring on it.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
It's like a Volkswagen Beetle. It will get the job done but people who have only ridden in a Beetle because it was popular would not know the difference.

Do not see the need for 165 to 200 grain in 30 caliber.

These are covered off by 7 mm or 338
So your ideal all around rifle is actually two?

I read that there is more custom rifles made in 7x57 and 280 than all others combined. I would have to agree that for a reloader one of these 7s would be the ideal all around cartridge.

For an out of the box "let's get'er done" with most any factory ammo, the 30-06 reigns supreme.

I sold a bunch of dust collectors and decided on a Finnlite in 30-06 for an all around rifle. It will shoot factory Hornady 165s in GMX, SST or Custom Interlocks equally well without scope adjustment. Easy to carry, comfortable to shoot, accurate and will kill anything I'll ever want to shoot at. Would that not be the definition of all around rifle?

Having said that; my 7x57 would be the last rifle out of the safe in a fire sale and if the Finnlite ever needs a rebarrel it too will be a 7.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Banned

Default Just one

I think the ideal can be found in either 6.5 mm, 270, or 7 mm. Depends on personal preference. The Swedes and the Germans had it all correct a hundred and some years ago.

The 338 and 9.3 and 416 Rigby are for fooling around.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Best all around, most versatile cartridge for big game, hard to argue that.

Now if you pick one gun, shotgun due to its versatility on all game.
There are at least a dozen cartridges that will do anything that the 30-06 will do as a big game cartridge. There simply is no single best all around big game cartridge.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:11 AM

Well, I do have experience with it. And I have experience with many other cartridges as well. I have used it on game from under 50 yards to over 450 yards quite successfully. My summation is that in most cases and within reason it doesn't matter what cartridge you are shooting.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Had a 30-06 and found it had too much recoil for me.

Buddie bought a 7mm-08 and fell in love. Very similar performance with 1/2 the recoil. I will never go back. Downside is that you almost have to reload. But thats part of the fun for me.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:07 PM

It's an argument that has no end. Have to laugh when some say the 7mm mag is so much better. Funny that my reloading books and chronograph doesn't say that. With a 175/180 grain bullet there is almost no difference in velocity between the two. I like them both but to say the 30-06 is inferior doesn't reflect real world numbers that are readily available. Carry on though.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:50 AM

Shame on me, I haven't been participating on this site at all lately mainly because of the OPs never ending political crap....I had no idea he turned into an outdoorsman overnight!

And yes, personally I do believe the 30-06 is the best all around cartridge, or at least for what I need.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are at least a dozen cartridges that will do anything that the 30-06 will do as a big game cartridge. There simply is no single best all around big game cartridge.
But if you had only one to choose from that covers the entire critter spectrum and is available from New York City to tuctayuckchuck I would put my money on the 06.

In North America anyways.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
Shame on me, I haven't been participating on this site at all lately mainly because of the OPs never ending political crap....I had no idea he turned into an outdoorsman overnight!

And yes, personally I do believe the 30-06 is the best all around cartridge, or at least for what I need.
Politics and guns run hand in hand....outdoorsmen and women also run hand and hand too

Makes the world go around!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Politics and guns run hand in hand....outdoorsmen and women also run hand and hand too

Makes the world go around!
I agree 100% ,politics and guns run hand in hand however, when some members sit on an "outdoorsman" forum and call our already anti-gun PM "Turd-eau" it really just makes us true outdoorsman look bad and I'm sure it wont make Trudeau any more firearm-friendly...that is all
Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I agree 100% ,politics and guns run hand in hand however, when some members sit on an "outdoorsman" forum and call our already anti-gun PM "Turd-eau" it really just makes us true outdoorsman look bad and I'm sure it wont make Trudeau any more firearm-friendly...that is all
Yep he should come out to a fall moose camp, experience the hunt in its entirety but then it would mean a little too much discomfort...oh well eh next election!

Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 AM

1. The 30-06 is a versatile big game cartridge (North America & nearly every other continent).
2. It is one of the most commonly used cartridges for rifles manufactured for stocking retailers.
3. It is a cartridge once used extensively my U.S. military (and many other nations). This may be a signifcant reason for it's popularity.
4. There are likely more rifles chambered in 30-06 than any other hunting rifle (North America at least).
5. 30-06 is likely the most easily obtainable big game ammunition anywhere in North America.
6. Regardless of your preferred brand of rifle, you can quite likely find one in 30-06.
7. 30-06 can deliver adequate velocity for acceptable ballistics and terminal velocity at morally correct hunting ranges.
8. 30 caliber bullets are likely the most commonly stocked by retailers in the most weights and configurations by the most manufacturers.
9. Most rifles chambered in 30-06 deliver recoil in an acceptable range.
10. 30-06 brass is often the most commonly stocked by suppliers.

> Name another big game cartridge that fills all of the above conditions.
( This is by no means a reason to own only one rifle.)

Last edited by gunluvr; 04-02-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:

And yet, you show up and turn a thread purely on guns into a political one.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
1. The 30-06 is a versatile big game cartridge (North America & nearly every other continent).
2. It is one of the most commonly used cartridges for rifles manufactured for stocking retailers.
3. It is a cartridge once used extensively my U.S. military (and many other nations). This may be a signifcant reason for it's popularity.
4. There are likely more rifles chambered in 30-06 than any other hunting rifle (North America at least).
5. 30-06 is likely the most easily obtainable big game ammunition anywhere in North America.
6. Regardless of your preferred brand of rifle, you can quite likely find one in 30-06.
7. 30-06 can deliver adequate velocity for acceptable ballistics and terminal velocity at morally correct hunting ranges.
8. 30 caliber bullets are likely the most commonly stocked by retailers in the most weights and configurations by the most manufacturers.
9. Most rifles chambered in 30-06 deliver recoil in an acceptable range.
10. 30-06 brass is often the most commonly stocked by suppliers.

> Name another big game cartridge that fills all of the above conditions.
( This is by no means a reason to own only one rifle.)
Yup,
Old 04-02-2016, 03:26 PM

My signature says it all...
Old 04-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
nope bc doesn't matter. accuracy matters.

if i can shoot a round nose bullet into a 1" group at 400 yards i'm going to take that before a vld in a 8" group

if you know where your bullet is going to go nothing else matters. so accuracy is everything.
What your saying is correct, you come across like a close minded drunk grandpa tho. The question is,,,,at 500 yards would you prefer to have to do a 50 inch hold over or a 30 inch hold over, maybe there's a tree branch now because you need to hold over so much, it's now going slower so more susceptible to the wind so you now hold 5 more inches to the right,,tree branch crap. Accuracy is everything so at the long range bc does matter to help increase accuracy,,grandpa
Old 04-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
well that's simply not true!!! they're way easier to sit in the case neck when you're seating
Lol,,,they sure are
Old 04-02-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
What your saying is correct, you come across like a close minded drunk grandpa tho. The question is,,,,at 500 yards would you prefer to have to do a 50 inch hold over or a 30 inch hold over, maybe there's a tree branch now because you need to hold over so much, it's now going slower so more susceptible to the wind so you now hold 5 more inches to the right,,tree branch crap. Accuracy is everything so at the long range bc does matter to help increase accuracy,,grandpa
At 500 yards I don't hold over, I adjust the sights.
Cat
Old 04-02-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
At 500 yards I adjust the distance by a calculated stalk.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Banned

If you can't kill it with a 30-06, then there is nothing a bigger gun will do for you. Or a 270 win for that matter.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
At 500 yards I adjust the distance by a calculated stalk.
Not always possible as in shooting across a river , but that is a decision of the hunter in a particular situation .
Cat
Old 04-02-2016, 07:33 PM

i think we should have and age credibility score, 50 points for someone aged fifty and deduct a point for every year younger than that, two points off for every year older than 50. im losing points fast but still credible, i dont want to insult anyone although they will probably forget about it soon enough
Old 04-02-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
i think we should have and age credibility score, 50 points for someone aged fifty and deduct a point for every year younger than that, two points off for every year older than 50. im losing points fast but still credible, i dont want to insult anyone although they will probably forget about it soon enough
I have absolutely no idea what you are getting at!
Cat
Old 04-02-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what you are getting at!
Cat
i found myself wondering about the various ages of people in this thread. anyway 30 06 all the way. its a fact, its an icon,, its ubiquitous, and for those reasons if something else isnt better i go with it.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Cat
Semantics Cat,, it's the same thing,, you just don't get to see the trees in your scope that the bullets gunna hit
Old 04-03-2016, 12:17 AM

Default I guess I'll bite.

FOR ME the 30-06 is MY do all rifle. I have a Remington model 721 made in 1955 which is a third generation gun in my family. The steel but plate is almost worn smooth. This gun has killed almost every criter North America has to offer and will be my companion two months from now in Africa. It shoots better still than I ever will. I am not a long distance shooter, just to shaky and I like seeing animals up close so I limit my shots under 300 yards ( broke that rule once with a nice 5 point wt at 480 luckily made a good shot). I love this gun for more than the caliber. Your favorite gun is the one you like to shoot the most and have the most confidence in.
Burnt gun powder smells so good.