Old 01-21-2019, 11:54 AM

Today’s practice cancelled.....

Team meeting

Coaches, upper management AND Owner attending

Chia notnin building

Drai possibly traded.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-21-2019, 11:57 AM

The Oilers befuddle me. As a Canucks fan I am pretty impartial so here goes a (relatively) unbiased opinion/comment.

The old boys club would completely frustrate me as a Oil fan. I like Bob Nicholson(s/p?) a lot. He's the real deal. Optically, Katz would do well the clear the deck less Bob and give the team a fresh blood transfusion.
Do fans tend to agree with that? If so, why has this management team been able to survive so long? They need to listen to their customers you would figure.

I would suggest the fans do what the fans did in Vancouver. We all stayed fans but the attendance went down and we demanded a rebuild. Benning et al listened and they appear to be turning a corner. They are far from a great organization and have their own warts. However- you oil fans paying huge money at the turnstiles on the pretense of "loyalty" while they ice a garbage team- need to start voting with your wallets.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Team meeting

Chia notnin building

Drai possibly traded.
source?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The Oilers befuddle me. As a Canucks fan I am pretty impartial so here goes a (relatively) unbiased opinion/comment.

The old boys club would completely frustrate me as a Oil fan. I like Bob Nicholson(s/p?) a lot. He's the real deal. Optically, Katz would do well the clear the deck less Bob and give the team a fresh blood transfusion.
Do fans tend to agree with that? If so, why has this management team been able to survive so long? They need to listen to their customers you would figure.

I would suggest the fans do what the fans did in Vancouver. We all stayed fans but the attendance went down and we demanded a rebuild. Benning et al listened and they appear to be turning a corner. They are far from a great organization and have their own warts. However- you oil fans paying huge money at the turnstiles on the pretense of "loyalty" while they ice a garbage team- need to start voting with your wallets.

I think Katz and company are worried about the fan base sending a real message. Suites are coming up for renewal, and with a floundering team and soft oil prices and an economy that is tanking, renewals aren't likely for a non playoff bound team.

BW
Old 01-21-2019, 12:07 PM

Theyre going to announce they are extenting Chia's contract.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Theyre going to announce they are extenting Chia's contract.
It'll be about as long as it takes him to walk out of the building.

BW
Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Team meeting

Chia notnin building

Drai possibly traded.
I'm a little nervous. Have sports radio on for the first time in a long time. I read the Draisaitl rumour earlier, but it was off some fan site. Would have to be some crazy return. I think the return would have be Paranko and Tarasanko type return, and those trades generally happen till the offseaaon.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Banned

Bessies rumour is getting some steam. Found it on 2 other sites but nothing from anyone big.

Perhaps true. Great time to do it. Long break, time to get organized and come out flying.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
I'm a little nervous. Have sports radio on for the first time in a long time. I read the Draisaitl rumour earlier, but it was off some fan site. Would have to be some crazy return. I think the return would have be Paranko and Tarasanko type return, and those trades generally happen till the offseaaon.
I'd never give up these guys for Draisatl...IMHO overpriced at $8.5mm...Playing with McJesus could make a monkey into a 20 goal scorer
Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Banned

Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
I'd never give up these guys for Draisatl...IMHO overpriced at $8.5mm...Playing with McJesus could make a monkey into a 20 goal scorer
Well there is 15-20 other Oilers over the last 3 years that this hasn't happened to. They have tried everyone up and down the line-up with McDavid and Draisaitl is the only one that has consistently produced and produced with high numbers. Draisaitl would be the top scorer on 20+ other teams right now. Imagine if McDavid and Draisaitl had a Lindholm, Marchand, or Raantenan on their line. Where would their stats be right now? The Oiler problemSSSSSS are not McDavid or Draisaitl (unless it is a locker room issue).. it is everything after those 2 that can't get their "Stuff" together.

Trading Draisaitl or Nuge is a mistake and everyone else ain't worth spit right now. If they want to get better right now they have to use draft picks, it is really the only way. Go after Muzzin, or Paranko, or 1 Carolina's D-man. Just somebody that isn't on waivers.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Poor Paryko if that’s true. Good kid. Played in McMurray for the Barons...
Old 01-21-2019, 01:21 PM

Jones was just sent down.

Seems like something is in the winds.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Wow. Will be interesting to see how this shapes up. Generally, when the ship is sinking, you throw dead weight overboard to lighten the load....but you don't knock a hole in the bottom of the boat to do it from what I understand. Should somebody mention this to the management...?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-21-2019, 01:29 PM

I would like to be a fly on the wall in that dressing room right now, there must be some words flying and blame pointed no?? The tension would be crazy.
Fan base must be wild at this point up there. Seen a lot of empty seats last night half way through the third. I think the local fans, or radio hosts or whatever, should arrange that if they put up a first period like last night the place empties out. Like nobody left, pretty impossible to do but yeah would be a powerful message. Interesting to see how they polish this turd up for sure.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Jones was just sent down.

Seems like something is in the winds.
Jones shouldn’t be around that room right now. That’s a good thing...
Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I would like to be a fly on the wall in that dressing room right now, there must be some words flying and blame pointed no?? The tension would be crazy.
Fan base must be wild at this point up there. Seen a lot of empty seats last night half way through the third. I think the local fans, or radio hosts or whatever, should arrange that if they put up a first period like last night the place empties out. Like nobody left, pretty impossible to do but yeah would be a powerful message. Interesting to see how they polish this turd up for sure.
Relax.... it is evident that Flames fans have fairly short memories. The Flames have now played excellent for a total of 4 months. Remember the Flames were also a complete dumpster fire at the end of last season. You guys are not quite a dynasty yet and you might want to give it a full season before you try to strip the 84-85 Oilers of the title of best team ever!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh my, is it Smokey or Smokin somethin? He is one of the most over paid and over rated players in the league.

Anytime you pay a guy $8.5MM and then have to put him on a line with an even higher paid player to produce anything at all in terms of offensive output, you're paying him WAY too much.

Players in the bracket should raise the level of players around them, not have to be propped up.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:47 PM

I'm finding this suspense and hypothetical posturing way more entertaining than the product on the ice.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Rattie is going to be claimed, isn't he?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Relax.... it is evident that Flames fans have fairly short memories. The Flames have now played excellent for a total of 4 months. Remember the Flames were also a complete dumpster fire at the end of last season. You guys are not quite a dynasty yet and you might want to give it a full season before you try to strip the 84-85 Oilers of the title of best team ever!
But we tried to recognize our short comings.. What exactly did your present day dumpster fire of a franchise do this summer to even try and get better??
We got rid of some attitudes, traded a few good pieces and have lit it up this year. And you guys did what exactly to help change a a team that had 10 points less than us last year and finished 20 points out of the playoffs?
This isn't about Flames VRS Oilers.. This is about a whole city being deprived of a NHL calibre franchise. You guys should be picketing in front of that shinny new stadium.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
But we tried to recognize our short comings.. What exactly did your present day dumpster fire of a franchise do this summer to even try and get better??
We got rid of some attitudes, traded a few good pieces and have lit it up this year. And you guys did what exactly to help change a a team that had 10 points less than us last year and finished 20 points out of the playoffs?
This isn't about Flames VRS Oilers.. This is about a whole city being deprived of a NHL calibre franchise. You guys should be picketing in front of that shinny new stadium.
Take your number 1 defenseman out of the line up for 4 months, and your number 2 for 2 months, and see where you are.

Having Sekera and Klefbom available for the whole season and we are in a different situation.

BW
Old 01-21-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Take your number 1 defenseman out of the line up for 4 months, and your number 2 for 2 months, and see where you are.

Having Sekera and Klefbom available for the whole season and we are in a different situation.

BW
Absolutely disagree, if you don’t think we need goaltending and forwards your dilusional. There is more to it than Klefbom and Sekera. Those two aren’t number one d men on 20 other NHL teams to begin with. They are here though as well as other sub par clubs
Old 01-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:

BW
Every team deals with injuries to good players. The oilers have zero depth. Sekera is not even a shadow of his former self and will likely never contribute any meaningful minutes again (sorry to say). Their issues are much deeper than Oscar going down
Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:

BW
Counting on a guy who has missed 97 of the last 213 games to be a significant contributing factor is a bit of a fools errand, is it not?

Last edited by Trochu; 01-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Oh my, is it Smokey or Smokin somethin? He is one of the most over paid and over rated players in the league.

Anytime you pay a guy $8.5MM and then have to put him on a line with an even higher paid player to produce anything at all in terms of offensive output, you're paying him WAY too much.

Players in the bracket should raise the level of players around them, not have to be propped up.
If the team had more depth on the wing, you wouldn't have to put them together. They chose to do that to get something for scoring. As BD said, they have tried everything for line combinations, not everybody can put the puck in the net. It's not like it used to be "a garbage can would get 40 goals playing with Gretzky". Other teams like Pittsburgh have played their stars on the same line. But they have a better supporting cast. So, they play them apart.

The Draisaitl at Centre or Wing debate is not likely going to end any time soon. Neither is his salary debate. But as others have mentioned, we might not be talking about that in a year or two. I think there will be value there. I remember when the Oilers signed all of Hall, Nuge and Eberle to 6 million dollar contracts. There was term and (some) value there. Seemed a lot at the time. Yeah, I know, we got term on the Lucic contract, now look where we are at.

Draisaitl looks uninspired, even lazy at times. He's gonna get his criticsm. I think these guys are tired. Even McDavid has done that many McDavid things lately. Then I read that he's been sick for a week. Back to Leon... I can't get past his points totals and sweet passes though.

I don't have the link and my eyes start to glaze over when I read some hockey article and the writer starts showing me graphs and too many numbers. But the point of the article was that McDavid's numbers are better with Draisaitl on his line. So who's propping up who?

Center one minute, winger the next, powerplay, penalty kill, 4 vs 4, 3 vs 3, shootout, important face-offs.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Brodziak down the middle. Nuge and Draisaitl can be flipped there. That is what they would like to do. But because of lack of depth on the wing, they move both Leon and Ryan to the wing to try and get some scoring.

I also read the rumour this morning about Draisaitl getting traded and just last night had a dream that he would be the first of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge to be traded. Interesting.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Counting on a guy who has missed 116 of the last 213 games to be a significant contributing factor is a bit of a fools errand, is it not?
Some Oiler fans don’t want to admit that the team is a joke from the crease all the way to the General Managers office. This fan ( so hard to be) is a realist. Blow that team up..
Old 01-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Banned

Just excuse after excuse.
No wonder the front office does what it does.
If the front office doesn't try what makes you think the players will dig that little deeper? 20 points out of a playoff spot last year. Sub 500. Tell me, what changes did you make that will allow you to challenge for a Cup? You guys shouldn't have to put up with this and I am sorry for that.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
If the front office doesn't try what makes you think the players will dig that little deeper? 20 points out of a playoff spot last year. Sub 500. Tell me, what changes did you make that will allow you to challenge for a Cup? You guys shouldn't have to put up with this and I am sorry for that.
Agreed....
Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Counting on a guy who has missed 97 of the last 213 games to be a significant contributing factor is a bit of a fools errand, is it not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Some Oiler fans don’t want to admit that the team is a joke from the crease all the way to the General Managers office. This fan ( so hard to be) is a realist. Blow that team up..
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Agreed....

You flames fans sure get excited over a post. To easy.

BW