Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 AM

Midget..kangarooo? lol whatttt??? FB=Facebook?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
As long as we are talking old and support...whats a BRA got that the Lames don't.....?????? TWO CUPS

I don't have to support the Lames they seem to have enough people drinkn their kool-aid thank you very much....

I loathe the Flames with every fiber of my being....I wouldn't walk over to urinate on a Flamer if he was on Fire!!!

Points are points James and if we can put a small string of points together, coupled with our games in hand 6th will be in our grasp........

BOA BOA ....... GROIN PULL GROIN PULL

Old joke.... Come on find some new ones....

YOU NEED THE FLAMES...
YOU LOVE THE FLAMES...

We tank.. You tank...
We Win.. You guys play Golf 4 games later
Grab a jersey and start drinking the Kool aid

Ok being serious. Unless the Oil really crap the bed or the flames tank.. I think we will pull you guys into the playoffs.

Good luck. I want to go into the playoffs on a bit of a roll. However in listening to the Flames Goaltending coach yesterday he said that Kipper would be sitting a bit over the next little while..

Here is a interesting site with all the %'s of any team makeing the playoffs.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western.html

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 03-19-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
Just so everyone knows...when the Canucks win on the 7th against the Flamers...BP has to wear a Mitchell jersey!!! I'll be sure to take plenty of pics lol
And for 44 I think I have found an old # 24 Peplinski that he will proudly display on his back for the day after the Flames pull out the win...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
As good as Ovechkin is, would you really give up on Iggy? You would get the games most exciting player and give up the best leader in the game today. You would get a guy that has an unquestionable passion for scoring goals and loose a guy that will do whatever it takes to win. I think it sounds good at first but the more I think about it I don't like it. I love both players but I don't know. And besides Calgary does not like Europeans!
WOW goober.....put down the pipe and clear your head my friend. I get that your a Phlem Wad fan and all, BUT SERIOUSLY!!!!!! You would pass up Ovechkin for Iggy First you guys spew about Kipper being mentioned for the Vesna now this.......OMG you guys slay me No wonder you guys think your cup bound!!!!

BH

Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post
WOW goober.....put down the pipe and clear your head my friend. I get that your a Phlem Wad fan and all, BUT SERIOUSLY!!!!!! You would pass up Ovechkin for Iggy First you guys spew about Kipper being mentioned for the Vesna now this.......OMG you guys slay me No wonder you guys think your cup bound!!!!

BH
I would take Flames over Caps to win Stanley any day, Cap's have a decent team but are missing a leader such as Iginla, whoop whopp alex scores lots and has some grit but is he a team guy like Iginla, I doubt it, Is he a leader like iginla I doubt that too, when Iggy get's on one of his many scoring streak's during the season he can put up point's as well as anyone and he has been through the grind of a long playoff run or two, but most of all he is a CANADIAN ! Alex the Great ? ya we all know Alex think's so, just ask Cherry....
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
As good as Ovechkin is, would you really give up on Iggy? You would get the games most exciting player and give up the best leader in the game today. You would get a guy that has an unquestionable passion for scoring goals and loose a guy that will do whatever it takes to win. I think it sounds good at first but the more I think about it I don't like it. I love both players but I don't know. And besides Calgary does not like Europeans!
Goober, before I get into this, let me reiterate that I think Iggy is great, so this isn't slagging him. I agree any team would LOVE to have him. But I can't agree with EVERYTHING you say.

Jarome "the best leader in the game today"? I dunno about that. I'm not arguing he's probably not a good leader, but what examples of greatness would you point to? What malcontent has he hammered into shape? Hasn't hoisted the cup over his head, hasn't been selected as Captain of any national teams. He probably will be over time though, just based on being a great player and his seniority.

As for Ovechkin having a passion for goals, that he certainly does, but his passion for hitting and the physical game is huge too. He's no floating butterfly.

As for Calgary not liking europeans, they LOVE them... if they're GOOD Evidence kipper's big contract and them going out and getting Ollie.

Anyway, Iggy vs Ovechkin... sort of like arguing which you like more, a Porsche or a Ferrari.

Last edited by Okotokian; 03-19-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Goober, before I get into this, let me reiterate that I think Iggy is great, so this isn't slagging him. I agree any team would LOVE to have him. But I can't agree with EVERYTHING you say.

Jarome "the best leader in the game today"? I dunno about that. I'm not arguing he's probably not a good leader, but what examples of greatness would you point to? What malcontent has he hammered into shape? Hasn't hoisted the cup over his head, hasn't been selected as Captain of any national teams. He probably will be over time though, just based on being a great player and his seniority.

As for Ovechkin having a passion for goals, that he certainly does, but his passion for hitting and the physical game is huge too. He's no floating butterfly.

As for Calgary not liking europeans, they LOVE them... if they're GOOD Evidence kipper's big contract and them going out and getting Ollie.

Anyway, Iggy vs Ovechkin... sort of like arguing which you like more, a Porsche or a Ferrari.
Okotoks, Examples of greatness would be: 2 Memorial Cup's - World Jr. Gold and MVP of that tourney - World Champ Gold - Olympic Gold including 2 goal's in final against USA - Art Ross Trophy - Lester B trophy - Maurice Richard Trophy 2 times - King Clancy Award - ESPY Award 2 times - 04 cup final (the puck was in), and will be considered for 2010 olympic team captain, I have no doubt he will raise the cup a time or two before he is done. Jarome Iginla is one of the game's great hockey player's, unless you are an Oiler's fan of course...
Old 03-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
BP, I was talking about great LEADERSHIP. That is the point Goober was making and that I was mildly disputing; that Iggy is the greatest LEADER in the game today. His scoring prowess or all-star ability are not in question. I don't consider being a great scorer or all-star to be proof of leadership. A great leader picks his team up, shapes and molds it's character, deals with malcontents, and almost wills the team to win. I don't doubt he can do some of this, I just haven't seen evidence, or media commentary, that he's better than anyone else in the league at this. Mario Lemiux earned more hardware, awards and records than Iggy is ever likely to, but he isn't mentioned when people talk about past great leaders in the NHL.
I disagree of course, Jarome does all of these thing's youv'e described and more, that's why I believe you will see him wearing the "C" for Canada at the 2010 Olympic's, why would they pick or even consider Jarome as captain if he wasn't a true LEADER. Especially with all the candidate's that will be on that roster..would you consider Joe Sakic a great leader ?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM

Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Okotoks, Examples of greatness would be: 2 Memorial Cup's - World Jr. Gold and MVP of that tourney - World Champ Gold - Olympic Gold including 2 goal's in final against USA - Art Ross Trophy - Lester B trophy - Maurice Richard Trophy 2 times - King Clancy Award - ESPY Award 2 times - 04 cup final (the puck was in), and will be considered for 2010 olympic team captain, I have no doubt he will raise the cup a time or two before he is done. Jarome Iginla is one of the game's great hockey player's, unless you are an Oiler's fan of course...
BP, I was talking about great LEADERSHIP. That is the point Goober was making and that I was mildly disputing; that Iggy is the greatest LEADER in the game today. His scoring prowess or all-star ability are not in question. I don't consider being a great scorer or all-star to be proof of leadership. A great leader picks his team up, shapes and molds it's character, deals with malcontents, and almost wills the team to win. I don't doubt he can do some of this, I just haven't seen evidence, or media commentary, that he's better than anyone else in the league at this. Mario Lemiux earned more hardware, awards and records than Iggy is ever likely to, but he isn't mentioned when people talk about past great leaders in the NHL.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 AM

What about this one
Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
die hard oilers fan here and i have no problems what so ever admiting that iggy is one of today's best players. would have him on my team any day.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
die hard oilers fan here and i have no problems what so ever admiting that iggy is one of today's best players. would have him on my team any day.
Just a little Pun no harm intended, do you think he would be a great leader of whatever team he played for ?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM

BP, you are playing a little fast and loose with things here...copying a reply of mine, pasting it into an EARLIER post of yours and then modifying the post to answer a comment I hadn't actually made yet? Makes me wonder.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM

to me a great leader is one that can shoulder the weight of the team and take up the slack if needed. a person that can change the outcome of games by himself. this does not mean he has to be an amazing scorer (messier) or the toughest guy on the block (sakic, stevie Y)....but to me a true captain is one that the team can rely on to make them better..day in and day out. a person that does not crumble under that pressure but rises to the occasion..and like i said has the ability to change the game. and imho iggy does that...and also imho ethan moreau doesn't....EM may be a great character guy and amazing in the locker room..and an all around heart and soul guy..but i do not see him as a true captain. i do not see him shouldering the weight of a slacking team and changing the the games or the team....now to be fair..i do not think the oilers have ANYONE on the team right now that fits that bill.....although i must say i do see some signs of "captainability" in souray....but that may be just me. so...do i think iggy would be a great oilers leader...hell yes.

now, a captain of the canadian team might be a harder sell..but only because of who else you have on that team as well. to be honest i do not know how they pick a captain?? maybe they should let the players vote on it and pick their own haha...
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM

Iggy gets my vote for captain of Team Canada. The only thing that might change my mind is if Joe Sakic comes back and has a really good start to the season next year (if he doesn't he probably won't even be considered for the team).

If I was picking the team today - it would be Iggy without a doubt.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
BP, you are playing a little fast and loose with things here...copying a reply of mine, pasting it into an EARLIER post of yours and then modifying the post to answer a comment I hadn't actually made yet? Makes me wonder.
Ya whatever Okotok's, mix word's all you want, I happen to think Jarome Iginla is a Great Leader and you don't, plain and simple....
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
Iggy gets my vote for captain of Team Canada. The only thing that might change my mind is if Joe Sakic comes back and has a really good start to the season next year (if he doesn't he probably won't even be considered for the team).

X2 Sakic or Iginla would lead by example as Captain's no question...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post

You might be right... thinking about who else might qualify..... Have to be at least good leader and great player to qualify for the gig obviously (the position is a BIT honorary, as who is captain isn't as important among elite players in a very short tournament as it is to an NHL team over the long haul of a season, IMHO)

Brodeur will be the biggest "hall of fame talent" on the team, but they never pick a goalie. Sid the Kid may be a little young yet. Neidermeyer or Pronger? maybe... they do have at least as much international experience and awards, etc. as Iggy. Then there is Thornton... less likely than Iggy I think, but the guy also has a Hart and Art Ross, more all-star appearances than Iggy, was an NHL all-star team captain and was Bruins Captain. Dark horse.

Fun to speculate.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
HUH ! Copy, Paste, Modify I'm not following ya here Okotok's.....
Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Ya whatever Okotok's, mix word's all you want, I happen to think Jarome Iginla is a Great Leader and you don't, plain and simple....

Mix words? I must be missing something. I can respect your opinion totally. You haven't been rude about it or anything. I just couldn't figure out why you cut and pasted my post into an EARLIER post of yours and then altered it. It made no sense. But I guess the angry smilie with the tongue sticking out explains it. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:

BH
I should let you read back and find the biggest mistake you made in your comment for yourself but I will let it go this time. I am an Oilers fan not a flames fan!!! Secondly I have not ever picked up the pipe jack!!!

Now on the Iginla note. When making a trade of this magnitude you must evaluate what it will do to your team both performance wise (based on each player involved in the trade), the overall Aura of your team and how it will affect the overall performance of your team. Personal performance wise the nod goes to Ovechkin hands down no questions asked. The next 2 are where it gets tough. Washington has built a team around Ovechkin and Calgary has built a team around Jarome. Would the flames players follow Ovechkins lead? Most likely not as he plays a brand of hockey that the Flames do not. Would Ovechkin step up to the plate with the media the way Iginla does? Probably not, he simply can't. Is ovechkin the vocal and example setting leader the Flames seem to thrive with? He will go out and set an example by laying a hit or of course scoring a goal but he is not a verbal leader. Now The same can be said for Iginla in Washington. The overall aura of each team would suffer such a drastic change it would not even be funny. It is simply a trade that would never happen unless Washington decided to rebuild and needed a temporary leader for the younger generation they would be bringing in.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:54 PM

GO OILER"S GO.....
Old 03-19-2009, 05:20 PM

i think the team canada captain race will be between iggy and big joe..unless sakic plays again....although smyth may have the call..if he is chosen again...just because he has more team canada experience than anyone else....however i do not think he is the best choice..and that is from a big smytty fan...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

WOW what a game tonight!!!! 8-1 over the avs. Gag's with a hat trick! Kotalik on fire. Nielson producing. Roli fabulous as usual. Get ready for a nice playoff run Oiler fans!! Sign MacT for at least another year lol.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

BH
LOL!!!!!!!!! Classsssssssssic! So true though lol.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 PM

0oooooooooooooooilers-8 goooooooooools-colorado-1
Go Oilers Go!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE HOLE View Post
The Official Canadian Temperature Conversion Chart
50° Fahrenheit (10° C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Canadians plant gardens.

35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C)
Italian Cars won't start
Canadians drive with the windows down

32° Fahrenheit (0 ° C)
American water freezes
Canadian water gets thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60° Fahrenheit (-51° C)
Mt. St. Helens freezes.
Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-100° Fahrenheit (-73° C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadians pull down their ear flaps.

-173° Fahrenheit (-114° C)
Ethyl alcohol Freezes.
Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg

-460° Fahrenheit (-273° C)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Canadians start saying "cold, eh?"

-500° Fahrenheit (-295° C)
Hell freezes over.
The Calgary Flames win the Stanley Cup
Thats BY FAR the best Oil or Shames joke i've ever heard Although I should say....'statement' and not 'joke' lol
Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Id be Suprised if Smyth Even Makes the Team if he did it would be as a Fourth Line/ Penelty killer Definatly not as Captin. I think This Version of Team Canada will be younger and faster then the last few teams. Im not sure both Pronger and Niedemyer will make it either Look at the D they have to Choose from, Weber, Boyle, Green, Boumeester, Souray, Regehr, Phaneuff, Pronger, Niedemyer. I think they will probably only dress 6 D so Three of these Guys Arnt going to make it. As for the Captin I think Iginla has to be the front runner Sakic would be Considered if he gets healty and doesnt choose to Retire At the end of the Season. A long Shot would be Patrick Marleau I dont think Joe Thorton Is a very good leader myself he isnt even the captin on his own team doesnt seem to give it all he has evey shift and also i dont think he is a very Vocal guy in the dressing room. But id say if Sakic is out then it has to be either Iggy or Marleau
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordoats26 View Post
Id be Suprised if Smyth Even Makes the Team if he did it would be as a Fourth Line/ Penelty killer Definatly not as Captin. I think This Version of Team Canada will be younger and faster then the last few teams. Im not sure both Pronger and Niedemyer will make it either Look at the D they have to Choose from, Weber, Boyle, Green, Boumeester, Souray, Regehr, Phaneuff, Pronger, Niedemyer. I think they will probably only dress 6 D so Three of these Guys Arnt going to make it. As for the Captin I think Iginla has to be the front runner Sakic would be Considered if he gets healty and doesnt choose to Retire At the end of the Season. A long Shot would be Patrick Marleau I dont think Joe Thorton Is a very good leader myself he isnt even the captin on his own team doesnt seem to give it all he has evey shift and also i dont think he is a very Vocal guy in the dressing room. But id say if Sakic is out then it has to be either Iggy or Marleau
I would lay $500 on Smyth not making Team Canada. No way. Theres already people like Savard that deserve to be in but probably wont be because of the amount of depth this year. Good thing Lowe and the management moved on with Smyth...was the perfect time as he is really starting to not be that star player he once was.