Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Williams Lake is currently doing it's scan. Expect another thread next week or so. I find it funny that people don't realize that the church is still running residential schools, just in other countries.

Sure looks like we need way more education done on actual Canadian history.
They actually are doing more education on it it schools now. My kids in grade 3 and 4 are aware of it, from the school.

Do scans then find out what happened, shovels in the ground to confirm dates and what was cause of death. If all that happens is scans then this will be a never ending wound for decades.

The time is now to deal with it, saying that they won't allow any sites to be examined for remains only makes this worse. Go to every school and do this. This chapter needs an ending, good or bad.

Hatred and racism goes in circles, humans will do the same thing to each other repeatedly over time. We try to do better but we never really do. All of us are guilty of it one form or another. All races, all colors have done bad things to each other. Some to different colors and races, many to the same. Humans, all of us are a flawed species. Humans are all judgemental, be it race, religion, appearance and any other thing that we decide at the time.

My views are shaped from what I have experienced. I grew up in Wetaskiwin early 80s until 2010. Extremely violent place at times. Lots of fighting between Hobbema and Wetaskiwin residents. Both sides were guilty of being horrible to each other. Lots of times the gangs from Hobbema were extremely voilent to each other. Good and bad both ways. I understand now why there was hatred towards me at times from some of them. I didn't understand it when I was younger. Hobbema has now changed to Maskwacis, the name change was to get rid of the bad.

What I have to do in life is try and be a better person. Not judge from past experiences, try my best to make sure my kids hopefully never have to see some of the crap I've seen. There is good and bad in every race and colour. This is what I need to teach to my daughters. Not an easy thing to do, my battle, but if I hold my breath, wait, then think instead of a reaction it will happen.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:42 PM

Reading up on the history, I found this bit from the Report of Commissioners for Treaty No. 8 interesting:

As to education the Indians were assured that there was no need of any special stipulation, as it was the policy of the Government to provide in every part of the country, as far as circumstances would permit, for the education of Indian children, and that the law, which was as strong as a treaty, provided for non-interference with the religion of the Indians in schools maintained or assisted by the Government.

All the Indians we met were with rare exceptions professing Christians, and showed evidences of the work which missionaries have carried on among them for many years. A few of them have had their children avail themselves of the advantages afforded by boarding schools established at different missions.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:25 PM
Banned

New 8nformation coming out about them. Maybe not a every location, but you can bet that they knew about more than just one site.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...ves-chief/amp/
Old 07-04-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
New 8nformation coming out about them. Maybe not a every location, but you can bet that they knew about more than just one site.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...ves-chief/amp/
A balanced article for a change.

The 44 page report written for the TRC attempted to locate and/or confirm many of these.

Pierre said while there is a possibility there are some children who attended the school were buried in the cemetery, more work is required to confirm those details.

“There could very well be, and in good likelihood, some children that were in the residential school that died here because of TB or other diseases, and were buried there,” Pierre said. “But it’s a graveyard.”