Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM

So with all that, and by the way its pretty crappy reading a thread where guys that are part of the same community are calling each other a-holes, if the general consensus is that our southeastern mule deer herds are hurting overall, what is stopping every single guy on this forum from scrapping mule deer hunting altogether for say the next few years? bow, rifle and muzzleloader arguments aside, regardless as to whether you personally feel your tool of choice is having any impact on overall herd numbers, why does anyone continue to hunt mule deer knowing that the numbers are low and in the end puts our entire community against one another? Time to man up gentleman. Put up or shut up. Would it not make more sense for all of us to pocket and burn our mule tags, essentially ridding the herds of the negative effects SRD might have on them? Why doesn't everyone take out the middle man (SRD) and work together as outdoorsmen and help manage our own collective herds across the province? Once again, whether you feel your tool of choice is actually having any sort of effect, either positive or negative, has no bearing on the matter. Does anyone realize how moronic you look posting pictures of the latest pig Mule buck you took this season, only to have the very same guys start or add to threads chastising SRD or even worse their fellow outdoorsmen for an increase or usage of Mule deer tags? Scream and shout about the pencil pusher biologists all you want, but stupidity spews from both factions boys. The proverbial horse has been beaten to a bloody pulp on the issue of the archery mule draw, increases in rifle tags etc. Its a constant cycle within regards to the issue.

In the end, if you're not part of the solution youre part of the problem. This includes everyone, whether you hurl arrows at animals or you fling bullets. If things ARE as bad as the constant threads on this forum seem to lead on about, then every guy posting pictures of mule deer on this forum and in the same breath blasting SRD about mule tag increases is a bloody hypocritical slob that needs to shut their trap until theyre willing to man up and lead by example. Whether you feel youre example will in any way make an actual difference on deer numbers or not is irrelevant.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsMav View Post
So with all that, and by the way its pretty crappy reading a thread where guys that are part of the same community are calling each other a-holes, if the general consensus is that our southeastern mule deer herds are hurting overall, what is stopping every single guy on this forum from scrapping mule deer hunting altogether for say the next few years? bow, rifle and muzzleloader arguments aside, regardless as to whether you personally feel your tool of choice is having any impact on overall herd numbers, why does anyone continue to hunt mule deer knowing that the numbers are low and in the end puts our entire community against one another? Time to man up gentleman. Put up or shut up. Would it not make more sense for all of us to pocket and burn our mule tags, essentially ridding the herds of the negative effects SRD might have on them? Why doesn't everyone take out the middle man (SRD) and work together as outdoorsmen and help manage our own collective herds across the province? Once again, whether you feel your tool of choice is actually having any sort of effect, either positive or negative, has no bearing on the matter. Does anyone realize how moronic you look posting pictures of the latest pig Mule buck you took this season, only to have the very same guys start or add to threads chastising SRD or even worse their fellow outdoorsmen for an increase or usage of Mule deer tags? Scream and shout about the pencil pusher biologists all you want, but stupidity spews from both factions boys. The proverbial horse has been beaten to a bloody pulp on the issue of the archery mule draw, increases in rifle tags etc. Its a constant cycle within regards to the issue.

In the end, if you're not part of the solution youre part of the problem. This includes everyone, whether you hurl arrows at animals or you fling bullets. If things ARE as bad as the constant threads on this forum seem to lead on about, then every guy posting pictures of mule deer on this forum and in the same breath blasting SRD about mule tag increases is a bloody hypocritical slob that needs to shut their trap until theyre willing to man up and lead by example. Whether you feel youre example will in any way make an actual difference on deer numbers or not is irrelevant.
This is a fantastic post JRsMav. I have tried getting this point across to many people. I have burnt many many tags even mule draws in my life in hopes of making a difference. Some hunters believe SRD knows best and are lead to believe Alberta must have an abundance of animals because they are giving all these tags. We spend many many hours in the field and when you see the declines we have seen (Northern Alberta) you get a pretty clear picture of Mule deer popultaions without being a biologist. I really hope more posts come in like the one above.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
that right there is the wholehearted truth. funny how some yelling the loudest are the same ones smashing animals at every opportunity. excellent post.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Well done. Exactly what needed to be said
Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
Regardless of what all of the turdies on this forum say or believe, the bottom line is just simply that there are WAY TOO MANY TAGS given out in the zones in southeastern Alberta where I live, end of story.

Last year zone 119 gave out 10 mule deer buck tags plus whatever the crooked outfitters got. This year there are 75 tags given, plus what the crooked outfitters got. My calculator tells me that SRD says there are 7.5 times more deer there this year than last.

Last year zone 118 gave out 35 mule deer buck tags plus whatever the crooked outfitters got. This year there are 100 tags given, plus what the crooked outfitters got. My calculator tells me that SRD says there are 3 times more deer there this year than last.

As for the does they have once again given out ridiculous numbers of tags.

It is asenine to try to justify this, it is simply impossible. End of story.

As was said previous"THIS IS ALBERTA BOYS....AND GIRLS, TAKE WHAT YOU CAN WHEN YOU CAN!" KILL THEM ALL THEN WE CAN STOP ARGUING AND ALL WILL BE WELL!

Sorry but I still can't believe the 15705 posts. WOW!
Perhaps practice what you preach. Didn't stop you from taking one last year and posting your achievement, did it? Population in need of recovery.... yeaaaaahhhhhhh..
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=152544

Quote:
the bottom line is we had 2 back to back winters that devastated deer herds along with the ridiculous CWD culls in several zones. These deer herds do not recover in 2 years, that is just simple common sense....unless your from Okotoks and have 15705 posts and spend all day with your obese hiney on AO trying to be smart.
Seems to be a disconnect here between word and deed.

Last edited by Okotokian; 10-24-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:52 AM

In almost every discussion regarding wildlife management there is one common factor, a lack of understanding of how licence numbers are determined and an absence of public access to the data used by our biologists.

For some basic background on how and why tags are determined we can review the Management Plan for that species.

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/W...t/Default.aspx

Management Plan for Mule Deer in Alberta (this plan is currently under review)
http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/W...er-Nov1989.pdf

Information of yearly Population estimates, harvest goals, success %'s has been difficult to access. Without this information we cannot develop an educated opinion of whether SRD is doing a good job or not, or if Resident hunters are getting a fair share of the resource along with sound management of the animals.

I am happy to finally say that I am making progress in obtaining this data in part thanks to an increased willingness from AFGA to help obtain the data. As I have done before, I will make this information available to all. Hopefully in the near future it will not take citizen initiative to obtain the information and that the government will simply make the information available online.

From what I have gathered to date I see the most critical issue to sound wildlife management and licence allocation being the inability for biologists to obtain current population surveys due to a lack of funds. There is too much of a guessing game going on.... If only hunters could work together to fight for an increase in the survey budget.

Imo, perspective is required to evaluate the current status of Mule Deer. How many remember MD populations during the general 3-point hunting days? The deer are doing Much better now, thanks to better management principals.

With consideration that some areas may be have a population below desired levels, overall MD deer are doing well. Certainly there may be fewer mature bucks in some areas, but lets also remember that winterkill is likely the main culprit for this, and that in a few years we will see a solid increase in older bucks.

Since trophyboy seems unwilling or unable to answer the question I posed to him twice, I'll throw it out to any and all.

To get an understanding of what "too many tags" means to you, what percentage of the population should be available for harvest in a season?

If the MD population in wmu XXX is estimated at 1000 with a ratio of 50 Bucks: 100 Does: 75 Fawns, What number of Buck (Antlered) tags to do think is acceptable using a success rate of 50%?

Last edited by walking buffalo; 10-24-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 AM

......that right there is EXACTLY what my novel of a post is referring to. Its a straight up lack of personal accountability for the situation at hand. Trohpyboy, you keep quoting packs signature......YOU ARE THE GUY THAT SIG IS REFERRING TO! I seem to recall packhuntr posting a couple pictures of the mule he took as well. Its straight up hypocracy, and at the same time I have no doubts one of you two will pipe back up stating how bow hunters harvest less than 3% of the quota every year blah blah blah blah....No one gives a flying you know what. SOME of us accept that the herds belong to the citizens of this province and in turn realize its our own responsibility to set a precedent, not SRD. And some of us take it upon ourselves to suck up the fact we wont have pictures of big mule deer to post on AO in hopes of bolstering our illustrious forum persona.

geezuz Christmas boys.....once again, put up or shut up.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
In almost every discussion regarding wildlife management there is one common factor, a lack of understanding of how licence numbers are determined and an absence of public access to the data used by our biologists.

For some basic background on how and why tags are determined we can review the Management Plan for that species.

Information of yearly Population estimates, harvest goals, success %'s has been difficult to access. Without this information we cannot develop an educated opinion of whether SRD is doing a good job or not, or if Resident hunters are getting a fair share of the resource along with sound management of the animals.

I am happy to finally say that I am making progress in obtaining this data in part thanks to an increased willingness from AFGA to help obtain the data. As I have done before, I will make this information available to all. Hopefully in the near future it will not take citizen initiative to obtain the information and that the government will simply make the information available online.

From what I have gathered to date I see the most critical issue to sound wildlife management and licence allocation being the inability for biologists to obtain current population surveys due to a lack of funds. There is too much of a guessing game going on.... If only hunters could work together to fight for an increase in the survey budget.

Since trophyboy seems unwilling or unable to answer the question I posed to him twice, I'll throw it out to any and all.

To get an understanding of what "too many tags" means to you, what percentage of the population should be available for harvest in a season?

If the MD population in wmu XXX is estimated at 1000 with a ratio of 50 Bucks: 100 Does: 75 Fawns, What number of Buck (Antlered) tags to do think is acceptable using a success rate of 50%?
Unfortunately I don't think its an unwillingness to answer the question walking buffalo. I think the problem is is most guys on here have no problem being armchair QB's and screaming bloody murder, but frankly just don't have the ability or ACTUAL knowledge to answer that question. I know I don't! But I also don't claim that every guy working at SRD is a moron. All I can do from my end is base what I do on what I see. At the end of the day.....I don't hunt mule deer, and wont until I see what I perceive to be an abundance of mule deer. I trust SRD is doing what they can to the best of their abilities, as I am from my end. The guys that are idiots are the guys that take a buck every year or every two years and scream that SRD is in collusion to eliminating the herds.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
ill give it a whirl. i think about a 1 buck to 2 doe ratio is reasonable after the season. based on those numbers preseason, i wouldnt be handing out a whole mess of antlered tags. carrying capacity and target number for the herd pre and post season needs to be accounted for as well. no idea how big wmu xxx is either, but hypothetically, i see no more than about 50 tags for your scenario.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:

Imo, perspective is required to evaluate the current status of Mule Deer. How many remember MD populations during the general 3-point hunting days? The deer are doing Much better now, thanks to better management principals.

With consideration that some areas may be have a population below desired levels, overall MD deer are doing well. Certainly there may be fewer mature bucks in some areas, but lets also remember that winterkill is likely the main culprit for this, and that in a few years we will see a solid increase in older bucks.

10 tags.

There are many important considerations left out.

Carrying capacity is at the top of my list.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM

ISB and Beeguy both questioned an important factor that I intentionally left out, Carrying capacity (Population Goal).
It's good to see that this info was asked for.

Beeguy, what other considerations are missing?

Carrying capacity as applied to ungulates in many areas is determined to be the socially accepted levels, not the maximum carrying capacity based on ecological resources.

For the question, consider the herd to be at the desired social level. No desired increase or decrease in overall population.

1000 MD at 50B:100D:75F = 222 Antlered MD

ISB feels that the Antlered harvest should be 25 bucks. 2.5% of the total population, 11.3% of the antlered component.

Beeguy says 5 bucks. 0.5% of the population, 2.2% of the antlered component.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Banned

a lot of info missing form the equation. population goal being the biggest. again, just what is the size of wmu XXX? for the average wmu in this province, 100 deer is a pretty low number. i also question the 50% success which wasnt brought up. with rifles, i suspect that number is too low.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
ISB and Beeguy both questioned an important factor that I intentionally left out, Carrying capacity (Population Goal).
It's good to see that this info was asked for.

Beeguy, what other considerations are missing?

Carrying capacity as applied to ungulates in many areas is determined to be the socially accepted levels, not the maximum carrying capacity based on ecological resources.

For the question, consider the herd to be at the desired social level. No desired increase or decrease in overall population.

ISB feels that the Antlered harvest should be 25 bucks. 2.5% of the total population, 11.3% of the antlered component.

Beeguy says 5 bucks. 0.5% of the population, 2.2% of the antlered component.
Actually WB your question was loaded more than just the omission of the carrying capacity, now you add the desired objectives..

You should as well explain why you feel the tooth fairy exists and this WMU has the ridiculous buck to doe ratio ? How bout adding mortality rate for this WMU ? Historical harvest data also would be important. So many variables, not enough information for this fishing trip for the question asked
Old 10-24-2013, 01:15 PM

ISB, The question stated 1000 animals, not 100.

The population is at the desired level.

A 50% success rate is being used for this question.
It is actually a common success rate, look at the harvest reports at http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/HuntersHarvest.aspx

Average prairie wmu size, equal mix of public and private land.

Change your answer if desired.

Sled, no need to get bitchy.

If you feel the Antlered component is too high then account for that in the number of Antlered tags you suggest.

Historical Harvest data is used to calculate the success rate thus it has already been included.

For this question there are No special mortality rate concerns.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Banned

walking buffalo: its easy to ask the questions but what would you suggest?

what percentage of the population should be available for harvest in a season?
what percentage should be available to outfitters?
non residents?
landowners?
natives?
residents?
bowhunters?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
walking buffalo: its easy to ask the questions but what would you suggest?

what percentage of the population should be available for harvest in a season?
what percentage should be available to outfitters?
non residents?
landowners?
natives?
residents?
bowhunters?

Have you read the responses? Asking is not so easy.

Sorry, I'm not going to give my suggestions to your questions right now, definitely not until you answer my question first.

I'd rather give others more time to describe "What is too many tags?", hopefully with some answering the question I asked as it may be a concise way to find the line. The line also being the answer to your first question, "what percentage of the population should be available for harvest in a season?".
Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
ISB, The question stated 1000 animals, not 100.

The population is at the desired level.

A 50% success rate is being used for this question.
It is actually a common success rate, look at the harvest reports at http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/HuntersHarvest.aspx

Average prairie wmu size, equal mix of public and private land.

Change your answer if desired.

no i answered the question based on 1000 animals....100 was a typo. also missing in the equation is the antlerless harvest. proper buck to doe ratio must be maintained....which i dont want to see below 1:4. further, if 1000 animals is the desired goal, then tag numbers shoudnt be too high as any animals taken will bring the number below the target....which is what was seen with antelope the last few years. too much to include to get a fully informed answer for sure. as sled mentioned, natural mortality also needs to be included.

Quote:
The line also being the answer to your first question, "what percentage of the population should be available for harvest in a season?".
again...all other factors must be considered. if the buck to doe ratio already sucks, then less bucks need to be taken to correct it. if the population is wildly high....again like antelope were in 2010....then a high number of tags may be issued to reduce the population. there is no simple answer that will fit the question posed as it is.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have you read the responses? Asking is not so easy.

Sorry, I'm not going to give my suggestions to your questions right now, definitely not until you answer my question first.

I'd rather give others more time to describe "What is too many tags?", hopefully with some answering the question I asked as it may be a concise way to find the line. The line also being the answer to your first question, "what percentage of the population should be available for harvest in a season?".
A Mexican standoff on AO. First person to state an opinion is the first person attacked. I was hoping you would volunteer this time for the sake of discussion. Guess not!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:45 PM

Default A couple of pictures from the last little bit of spotting

All these deer pic came in the last 4 weeks I wouldnt shoot anything but the one in Velvet the blurry one is a early evening and the bigger of them is about 180 the others dont even register on the radar
Old 10-24-2013, 06:15 PM

Last season I was chatting with a fellow who claimed to have recently retired from an administrative job with SRD or whatever it's called these days. He said the province was under a lot of pressure from the insurance companies to reduce the number of wildlife/vehicle collisions and letting hunters kill more animals was a cheap solution. He may have been pulling our legs but he was quite convincing.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Dadirk;2166820
All these deer pic came in the last 4 weeks I wouldnt shoot anything but the one in Velvet the blurry one is a early evening and the bigger of them is about 180 the others dont even register on the radar[/QUOTE]

like i said...much easier to talk about 180-200 inch deer than to prove it. its ok darwin, most people overestimate live deer by a fair bit. the velvet one is getting close, but the second is 170s, and the 3rd is gonna be lucky to make 170. properties on the pics say they were created today. these are off your camera right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Last season I was chatting with a fellow who claimed to have recently retired from an administrative job with SRD or whatever it's called these days. He said the province was under a lot of pressure from the insurance companies to reduce the number of wildlife/vehicle collisions and letting hunters kill more animals was a cheap solution. He may have been pulling our legs but he was quite convincing.
no question that populations in some areas are high and that hunting is used as a population control tool. there is more to think about than just hunting, and trophy sized animals when it comes to wildlife numbers. of course.....killing does is the way to immediately control deer numbers. dont they teach that on the first day of biology? in the majority of the southeast, buck to doe ratios are pretty dismal.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
no i answered the question based on 1000 animals....100 was a typo. also missing in the equation is the antlerless harvest. proper buck to doe ratio must be maintained....which i dont want to see below 1:4. further, if 1000 animals is the desired goal, then tag numbers shoudnt be too high as any animals taken will bring the number below the target....which is what was seen with antelope the last few years. too much to include to get a fully informed answer for sure. as sled mentioned, natural mortality also needs to be included.

again...all other factors must be considered. if the buck to doe ratio already sucks, then less bucks need to be taken to correct it. if the population is wildly high....again like antelope were in 2010....then a high number of tags may be issued to reduce the population. there is no simple answer that will fit the question posed as it is.

Actually, there is. The variables have almost all been accounted for. Population estimate with sex ratios, desired population level and Harvest success rates. Mitigating variables all average. Doe harvest is not needed to answer this question as the Antlerless harvest goal will be determined on it's own using the same information.

The remaining variable to be determined is the desired Antlered harvest goal based on social determinants. Is this an area chosen for maximum sustained yield or for restricted male harvest ("trophy" management)?

This is where we can answer "what is too many tags?".

According to the Mule Deer Plan "Male Harvest Regime":

Maximum sustained yield - The harvest is set at 11% of the preseason population. This results in a harvest of 51% of the antlered males, leaving a reasonable mix in age structures after the hunting season.

Restricted male harvest - The harvest is set at 5% of the preseason population. This results in a harvest of 24% of the antlered males, creating an increased chance for a larger "trophy" buck to be harvested.

Back to the question....

Using SRD's formula,
a 5% harvest goal = 50 Antlered MD, or 22.5% of the Antlered population.
A harvest goal of 50 Antlered MD with a success rate of 50% = 100 Licences.

Considering that the 5% baseline harvest rate was used throughout the 90's, is this "too many tags"?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 AM
Gone Hunting

Insert slow lone clap now.... Gawd if i goatta watch you rocket scientists continue this im gonna need to start on a big bottle...
All great girls, except your little showdown of the minds here lolol didnt include the fact that Srd wants a total kill, are still shopping for a way to do it, and they couldnt care less about herd health. Have a wonderful stay in the clouds boys!
Hey WB. Hou should try to find information on the bait and annihilation Srd attempted to kick off last winter, but were shut down by landowners. Again good job fellas, thanks for the laugh!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 AM
Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHA, 15751 posts are you kidding me! That cracks me up.

Gotta go. I'm going mule deer hunting again today with a buddy, already got mine with the bow a month or so ago and don't have time to argue with cityots.

THIS IS ALBERTA BOYS TAKE WHAT YOU CAN WHEN YOU CAN!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA, 15751 posts are you kidding me! That cracks me up.

Gotta go. I'm going mule deer hunting again today with a buddy, already got mine with the bow a month or so ago and don't have time to argue with cityots.

THIS IS ALBERTA BOYS TAKE WHAT YOU CAN WHEN YOU CAN!
So you're complaining about not enough bucks (end result of "too many tags") when you shot one already this year and are trying to help you buddy shoot one... Not saying to not go out and hunt but to complain about fewer bucks after shooting one is rather hypocritical.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Whoever ends up with the most capital letters and exclamation points wins!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 AM

Give up WB. Some are not interested in how game management operates, nor how the statistics work (sadly, it appears SRD doesn't either at times).

The reality of game management is that politics and financial considerations play an inordinately large role in setting those numbers (carrying capacity, allowable harvest, etc.).

I understand the numbers.... but still reserve the right to b***h at/to/about ESRD.

ETA, you DID mention it before, but maybe it would be helpful to reiterate the part about allocating those tags to the user groups.

If G/O get 10% (or 125% as we saw in some zones last year), and landowners get an unlimited percentage, maybe that is why some zones only have 5 antlered mule deer tags....
Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 AM

WB for the most part I feel F&W make a lot of the overall numbers decisions not too poorly, WHEN not influenced by outside lobby groups or when there is political interference. I've really seen such interference in my hunting zone as one year the tag numbers were cut by 75% the one year from the historical numbers for several years previous, the next year it shot back up to more normal numbers, the year after that they doubled the historical numbers when they called it a cwd zone right after the hard winter that killed A LOT of deer. Before that and in many other zones I don't have too many complaints about the numbers although several zones are skewed from outfitter tags and unlimited landowner licenses and the CWD culls...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
So you're complaining about not enough bucks (end result of "too many tags") when you shot one already this year and are trying to help you buddy shoot one... Not saying to not go out and hunt but to complain about fewer bucks after shooting one is rather hypocritical.
LOL He's a troll. Whining about something he's actually doing himself. Total hypocrite. He'd protest spousal abuse and then go home and beat his wife. LOL I love the dude.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Insert slow lone clap now.... Gawd if i goatta watch you rocket scientists continue this im gonna need to start on a big bottle...
All great girls, except your little showdown of the minds here lolol didnt include the fact that Srd wants a total kill, are still shopping for a way to do it, and they couldnt care less about herd health. Have a wonderful stay in the clouds boys!
Hey WB. Hou should try to find information on the bait and annihilation Srd attempted to kick off last winter, but were shut down by landowners. Again good job fellas, thanks for the laugh!
Its usually no coincidence that the weakest link in any equation is usually the biggest mouthpiece that often resorts to name calling and pouting. Thanks for your valuable input pack. Keep up the good work. Well played sir. well played. When youre ready to add some sort of actual valuable take on the situation feel free to pipe up again.

As far as a complete kill off. Yes, that makes perfect sense and Im sure you have the data and interviews to back up that bold statement. Hell id be willing to bet bin laden and Redford were in a partnership and behind the big kill off too. Every guy that harvests a mule should be checking for a magic bullet from a second shooter as well.

Like I said before, its everyone elses fault other than your own right?