Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2022, 12:06 PM
Banned

on the other hand, what are you replacing these components with???
Old 12-19-2022, 01:51 PM

Default not sue

hard to bash or complain about others when who knows what the person selling has paid,travelled,shipped or tradded or any other costs included on or for the item listed to sell.If I have ever wanted to purchase something it usually depends on how bad the item is needed or wanted.If the needs equal the price its purchased
If not i wait.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:12 PM

Old 12-19-2022, 02:25 PM

And, we currently have several of these Threads of Outrage going. I don't think we need another. I'm going to consolidate it randomly with some other one.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-19-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
hard to bash or complain about others when who knows what the person selling has paid,travelled,shipped or tradded or any other costs included on or for the item listed to sell.
That is the cost of doing business i guess, but just because they made that decision doesn't mean it was a good one. People make poor financial decisions all the time, but only a foolish customer allows that mistake to get passed on to them.

Do all these fellows in Calgary buying and selling powder for $120 or more not know that you can run down the the Canadian Tire on southland and buy Varget, H4831, H4350, and about 8 other powders for $80 a pound or less? Sure doesn't seem like it.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
And, we currently have several of these Threads of Outrage going. I don't think we need another. I'm going to consolidate it randomly with some other one.
You have the power.

Just remember...

With great power comes great responsibility -- Tales of the Gun

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2022, 07:34 PM

I keep looking at stuff on a regular basis, various places. Saw a shop mentioned on another site, hadn't heard of them, had primers, few different brands, as godd a price as a person is likely to find anywhere. Has a storefront, website, phone numbers, reviews. Problem was where it is, freight is definitely a factor out of Quebec since Canpar quit, I just didn't really need them. But, if I'd needed them, I'd just do it and bite the bullet these days. Lots of places in the US that are more money involved than up here. USPS raised rates over Xmas too.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:05 AM

Personally, I think the ammo and components shortages are artificially contrived by manufacturers (at least to some extent) to drive up prices, effectually creating huge profits with little or no increased expense. Sure, they say they're working 24/7 to fill orders, but are they?
Watched a YouTube video of an interview with (Jim?) Nosler in his factory. Shelves were all empty but didnt see anyone restocking them as the interview went on. Just seems odd if they really are working 24/7.
Ammo, etc. flies off the shelves like never before and the whole supply chain benefits, but not shooters. And the antis along with leftist governments are quietly enjoying it.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Personally, I think the ammo and components shortages are artificially contrived by manufacturers (at least to some extent) to drive up prices, effectually creating huge profits with little or no increased expense. Sure, they say they're working 24/7 to fill orders, but are they?
Watched a YouTube video of an interview with (Jim?) Nosler in his factory. Shelves were all empty but didnt see anyone restocking them as the interview went on. Just seems odd if they really are working 24/7.
Ammo, etc. flies off the shelves like never before and the whole supply chain benefits, but not shooters. And the antis along with leftist governments are quietly enjoying it.
They werent restocking the shelves because they were going out the door as fast as they were coming off the line
Dont forget about the war in the ukraine
Lots of ammo being used over there
Also the stockpiling for any potential conflict with china
Old 12-20-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They werent restocking the shelves because they were going out the door as fast as they were coming off the line
Do you work for Nosler? Just kidding, relax.
We've all heard the excuses. Much like Biden's excuses for inflation.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Nosler was explaining that the empty shelves behind him were for the daily orders.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Do you work for Nosler? Just kidding, relax.
We've all heard the excuses. Much like Biden's excuses for inflation.
lol
I dont know if there is any conspiracy from the american side
Do i think the canadian govt would block primers from being imported? YEP
Old 12-20-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
lol
I dont know if there is any conspiracy from the american side
Do i think the canadian govt would block primers from being imported? YEP
Would they block imports? Of course they would, but they don’t have to because there are none to import.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
While I do feel for someone trying to start out in the sport, the people that seem to be complaining the most about prices, and shortages, are not new to the sport. Some of us warned that this was coming two years ago, then again last year, yet some people chose to ignore our advise to stock up enough to last a few years. I still have people pestering me to sell them powder or primers, after I advised them multiple times over the past couple of years to stock up. I have liquidated most of my surplus components at very fair prices, mostly to people starting out in loading, or people that took my advise to stock up a bit, but some people think that just because I have more primers and powder that I will use in the next year, I should sell them some, at the prices that they sold for last year.
The simple fact is if you have been in the sport for even a few years, you had the same opportunity as everyone else to stock up, before supplies dwindled, and prices climbed. I myself have helped out many people over the years to obtain components, but I won't risk running out myself, to help out someone that simply didn't plan ahead.
As for the people selling primers for $500/1000, or bullets for $150/box, or powder for $150/lb, I keep track of them, in case they need something in the future, and I have extra, so I can charge them the same kind of prices.
The bottom line, is that it comes down to supply and demand, and the demand is increasing as some people run out, and the supply is at least a year or two from catching up, so don't expect much improvement for at least a year or two.
Most of us the AO community are of a similar mindset and do not look favorably on price gouging. At the same time, not everyone in the community should be expected to hold a “fire sale” when selling hard to find components or ammunition either. I felt a need to comment to this post, as it would appear I may have been indirectly accused of “gouging” with the reference made to someone selling bullets for $150/box. If this reference was not directed to my posting in the buy & sell, then I’ll apologize in advance.

If this reference was directed at my posting, I would simply like an opportunity to respond. Big boy rifles are expensive to shoot and I understand not everyone is interested (or able) to spend the money required in order to shoot this great caliber... People not familiar with the largest of the medium bore rifles might be surprised to learn that retail price on factory ammunition for a .375 H&H is between $5.00 & $10.00 per bullet (if you are lucky enough to find some). As with all components, the price will vary depending on the manufacturer and quality of the brass & bullet.

I understand $150 for a box of ammunition may seem extremely high to many at first glance, but the reality is that the price I’m asking for the .375 Nosler Safari ammunition (c/w Nosler/Norma Brass and 300 gr. Nosler Partitions) is $15-$20 under the retail price that they were selling for 2ish years ago (and substantially less than the Sako – Swift A-Frames that I’ve purchased over the last few months). Personally, I do not consider that price gouging. If anyone is looking for this specific ammunition, I’m happy to be able to help them out. If not, like you, I’m perfectly fine keeping an adequate inventory of supplies, as I also do not anticipate pricing to decrease at any point in the near future.

For reference, retail price for the ammunition I have listed in the buy/sell and am referring to, is listed below (note price is in US Dollars):
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001982298

Wishing you & everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season 😊

Last edited by bschlinker; 12-20-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
You have the power.

Just remember...

With great power comes great responsibility -- Tales of the Gun

I do have some inconsequential power, so I merged all three Outraged About Prices threads together.

May as well keep it all in one place.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-20-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschlinker View Post
Most of us the AO community are of a similar mindset and do not look favorably on price gouging. At the same time, not everyone in the community should be expected to hold a “fire sale” when selling hard to find components or ammunition either. I felt a need to comment to this post, as it would appear I may have been indirectly accused of “gouging” with the reference made to someone selling bullets for $150/box. If this reference was not directed to my posting in the buy & sell, then I’ll apologize in advance.

If this reference was directed at my posting, I would simply like an opportunity to respond. Big boy rifles are expensive to shoot and I understand not everyone is interested (or able) to spend the money required in order to shoot this great caliber... People not familiar with the largest of the medium bore rifles might be surprised to learn that retail price on factory ammunition for a .375 H&H is between $5.00 & $10.00 per bullet (if you are lucky enough to find some). As with all components, the price will vary depending on the manufacturer and quality of the brass & bullet.

I understand $150 for a box of ammunition may seem extremely high to many at first glance, but the reality is that the price I’m asking for the .375 Nosler Safari ammunition (c/w Nosler/Norma Brass and 300 gr. Nosler Partitions) is $15-$20 under the retail price that they were selling for 2ish years ago (and substantially less than the Sako – Swift A-Frames that I’ve purchased over the last few months). Personally, I do not consider that price gouging. If anyone is looking for this specific ammunition, I’m happy to be able to help them out. If not, like you, I’m perfectly fine keeping an adequate inventory of supplies, as I also do not anticipate pricing to decrease at any point in the near future.

For reference, retail price for the ammunition I have listed in the buy/sell and am referring to, is listed below (note price is in US Dollars):
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001982298

Wishing you & everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season 😊
I was not referring to you, my reference was to bullets, not loaded ammunition.
Old 06-13-2023, 02:30 PM

Default Primers

I'm late to the party...but I have seen the CamPro Ginex primers our there for $200-$250. Seems reasonable these days.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:32 PM

Default Picked some up

I picked 500 recently from a local store in Calgary. I split a brick with a friend for $300.00

So my 500 cost $150.00 but I was just glad to get them.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:56 PM

I just bought 12,000 thousand Federals for $149 per 1,000
Cat
Old 06-13-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I just bought 12,000 thousand Federals for $149 per 1,000

Cat
Cat that's more ammo than the Canadian army has on hand ...lol

Old 06-13-2023, 05:36 PM

I just got 1000 federal primers for free! :-)
Old 06-13-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I just got 1000 federal primers for free! :-)
Can't financiers get in deep spit for stealing???

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2023, 06:44 PM

I apologize, i should have posted where I got my primers from.
Andrew Higginson of Higginson Powders.
1 613 632 9300
Get 'em while they're available
He has Federal and CCI
Cat
Old 06-13-2023, 06:59 PM

Best deal i've heard of in years now, How hard to they hit with shipping from Ontario ?
Old 06-13-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Best deal i've heard of in years now, How hard to they hit with shipping from Ontario ?
I can't remember, it is reasonable though . Regardless, it is what it is ! LOL
Cat
Old 06-13-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Can't financiers get in deep spit for stealing???

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I feel like I did! Lol
Old 06-14-2023, 10:26 AM

Seeing more consistent availability down south now, still kinda dicy, but can be had with some searching. Prices look like about 90-150/1000 down there at the places like Brownells, Natchez, Graf's etc, depending on brand and type of primer. Major issue up here is the freight factor if ordered from out of town or province vs how bad you want them. One way or the other 150/1000 up here is liable to be about what it is for quite a while across this country for Vista and WW stuff. Same krap with powder depending on the brand you want, as far as freight goes. Would be nice to be able to buy within the province, bit cheaper that way.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:19 PM

I grabbed 3k large rifle magnum and 3k large rifle.
Primers from Higginsons as well Cat. Your lucky you got that many. I phoned yesterday early afternoon. By the time my buddy phoned in the late afternoon the limit of 1k per type was implemented.
I've had lots of people I barley know calling me for powder primers loaded ammo. I tell them if I sold some to them all my kids would be practicing with sling shots. I did help out a few ladies needing 410 shells.for there kids and a few guys getting into handload with powder and primers. I got caught years ago looking for varget when I bought my..308 during the shortage. THANKS CAT!! Since then my locker looks like Sara Conners C can.⁰⁰
Old 06-15-2023, 08:08 AM

I was also lucky in that I phoned first thing in the morning and bought 2.5k large rifle and 2.5k large rifle magnum primers thanks to the heads up from “the cat”.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:48 AM

I predict a lot of price cuts coming in the buy and sell really soon.

I got my top up from Higginson, as did a few buddies I clued in. We ship our orders together to cut down on the freight charges.

There are no absolutes